Crysis 2 Thread

What's more, I find Crytek designed a better playground for the nanosuit than the original game. Yeah, the original was more open, but Crysis 2 has more in it, if you know what I mean. There were fewer toys to play with in the original

I don't agree. Everything that is in Crysis 2, was in Crysis with the only real difference being it's more linear, contrived with less interactivity. Such as conveniently open the sewer access and cars for the player to tap "X" to kick. By comparison, In Crysis, the player can punch cars and vehicles over to kill an enemy, the difference is, you can do this practically anywhere on the fly. Not just in contrived spots with a prompt.

Also, the enemy's use vehicles far more, they aren't just plopped up sitting in area's waiting to be picked off, they go on patrol. The player has the option to make them stationary by shooting the tires flat. Or use others methods such as the use speed/stealth and strength to jump on top of the moving vehicle, hijacking it and/or the mounted machine gun. By comparison with Crysis 2 for the majority of vehicles (pretty much all of them) are stationery with a "Do you want to rip this gun off?" prompt. The player is also given less options with vehicals, with less of them.

The player can use maximum strength to steady the players aim as well as reduce recoil from long shots over a distance, which isn't much of an option in Crysis 2 as the environments are much smaller with blocked off horizon lines. One of the early levels in Crysis 2 that basically gives the player a sniper rifle and encouraged them to pick off enemies one by one, is something like 20-30 meters away in distance. This can be done in many area's in Crysis on the fly over longer distances with strength being useful.

I did use power jump constantly to jump on top of village huts, cloaking and cloaking in combination both in Crysis and Crysis: Warhead in practically every play through. I actually played vertically more so in Crysis.

Last edited:
I don't agree. Everything that is in Crysis 2, was in Crysis with the only real difference being it's more linear, contrived and less interactivity, such conveniently open the sewer access and cars for the player to tape "X" to kick.

By comparison, In Crysis, the player can punch cars and vehicles over to kill an enemy, the difference is, you can do this practically anywhere on the fly. Not just in contrived spots with a prompt.
And you can kick cars almost anywhere and on the fly--though admittedly not the larger enemy vehicles, though this may have something to do with the general reduction in player strength.

The cars are not just in "contrived spots," they're everywhere, and these aren't scripted events the player is triggering. The prompts are no different than prompts that appear for grabbing objects (or enemies) in Crysis.

Furthermore, I find the ability to kick heavy objects to be more useful in practice than punching over a jeep was in Crysis. I mean, let's face it: when it came to using strength mode on the environment, a lot of the time getting the result you actually wanted was a matter of luck. Moreover, The only way to give something distance and momentum in Crysis was to throw it (which you can still do in Crysis 2), and everything big enough for me to be interested in using was too big to be thrown.

Don't mistake me; I fully admit the environment was more interactive in Crysis. Personally, I miss being able to throw badguys through crapshacks. And yes, some compromises were made in terms of linearity versus openess. As I said before, I think many of the trade offs have been fair and improved the product, though not all. Sometimes simplification serves the player. Overall, I think that while Crysis was a more impressive game, Crysis 2 is a better game. Of course, that determination is entirely relative to how one chooses to play the game. I fully understand if you're less accepting of these compromises.

Anyways, I think you may have misunderstood what I was talking about when I said Crysis 2 has more toys in the box. I meant in terms of level design. Areas contain a greater number of elements--because New York is not an empty jungle, you know? Things to climb, things to take cover behind, things you can use to reposition yourself. The design in the combat areas is simply more interesting.

Also, the enemy's use vehicles far more, they aren't just plopped up sitting in area's waiting to be picked off, they go on patrol.
This is true, yes. Enemies still patrol, though certainly less because the areas are smaller.

In Cryiss 2 for the majority of vehicles (pretty much all of them)
Stationary for the enemy or stationary for the player? I've seen plenty of vehicles that the enemy never moves, but every vehicle I've tried to drive myself, I have been able to drive. That said, it's possible that there are undrivable vehicles I simply didn't try to drive, and thus wouldn't know. Though, if there are stationary vehicles, it's unlikely that it would bother me. I have a nanosuit; accordingly, I've not been particularly interested in vehicles in either game.

The player can use maximum strength to steady recoil from long shots over a distance, which isn't much of an option in Crysis 2 as the environments are much smaller with blocked off horizon lines.
You can still use maximum strength to reduce recoil (by holding shift while aiming down the sights). In point of fact, it's extremely useful for stealth headshots, both close up and at range, far more so than it was in the original game, where it could only be used in strength mode.

One of the early levels in Crysis 2 that basically gives the player a sniper rifle and encouraged them to pick off enemies one by one, is something like 20-30 meters away in distance.
There are plenty of encounters that take place with enough distance to make the rifle useful--though the nano-catalyst collection makes fighting aliens at long range impractical, admittedly.

I did use power jump constantly to jump on top of village huts, cloaking and cloaking in combination both in Crysis and Crysis: Warhead in practically every play through. I actually played vertically more so in Crysis.
If you say so. I can only speak to my experience, in which the ability to get on top a hut was rarely useful or interesting. I find myself using my mobility far more to my advantage in Crysis 2 than in Crysis.

Last edited:
Got it yesterday for PC

I only played it for the the first two checkpoints, but I can say the enviroment has me far more immersed and interested in playing through the game than I was when I first started playing the first game.

The gameplay just feels better, so far. Being able to press one button to use the capabilities of the suit is much more pratical than going to the suit's interface to change it to what you need.

This is just being more fun, and I haven't seen almost nothing yet.

The game sure is pretty I'll tell you that. Also, playing at 4 AM when you're extremely tired isn't advised. :p

Got it yesterday for PC

I only played it for the the first two checkpoints, but I can say the enviroment has me far more immersed and interested

I don't see why. If you have played the start of the game you can clearly see it's using FMV sequences, which on a pc with higher resolution are obvious. On the other hand, Crysis seamlessly jumped for in-engine gameplay to cut-scene. Less interactivity. More obvious boundaries, more linear, Inferior graphics. e.t.c... In practically every checkpoint box it would qualify as a less immersing game.

Being able to press one button to use the capabilities of the suit is much more pratical than going to the suit's interface to change it to what you need

The suits interface only requires one button. :/

I don't see why. If you have played the start of the game you can clearly see it's using FMV sequences, which on a pc with higher resolution are obvious. On the other hand, Crysis seamlessly jumped for in-engine gameplay to cut-scene. Less interactivity. More obvious boundaries, more linear, Inferior graphics. e.t.c... In practically every checkpoint box it would qualify as a less immersing game../

New York is better than a random jungle, thats why.

New York is better than a jungle.

Why? Is it an emotional post- 911 roller-coaster? Not that I can see.
Does the new setting equal from a technical standpoint the immersion of the first game? Nope. Does it now have a setting similar to the vast majority of first person shooters i.e. run down city's. Yep.

Why? Is it an emotional post- 911 roller-coaster? Not that I can see.
Does the new setting equal from a technical standpoint the immersion of the first game? Nope. Does it now have a setting similar to the vast majority of first person shooters i.e. run down city's. Yep.

New York is the greatest city in the world. Thats why.

How is it graphically compared to the first (on maximum settings)

From what i hear the first one is a lot better.

But i never played the first nor would i want to spend the money on making a system capable of running the first title.

Dang...that's dissapointing. :(
On max settings Crysis 1 was beautiful....

bleh. I'll wait till the sequel drops to like $20 on the Pc.

The difference in graphics is negligible, in my opinion. Not to say that Crysis was not better in some areas, but unless you have extensive technical knowledge of graphics technology, you simply won't notice. In some areas the graphics are distinctly improved (for example, nothing is ever as bad as the horrible can and mattress textures in Crysis).

Furthermore, Crysis 2 is infinitely more efficient. If you were running Crysis on very high settings (as opposed to maximum), you'll likely able to run Crysis 2 on maximum settings (which looks better than the high settings from Crysis), and get a much better framerate at the same time.

Bottom line, the number of games that look better than Crysis 2 can be counted on one hand--and the number that look better and run as well is even lower, possibly zero. Though, this will be less comforting for those players who were able to run Crysis on maximum settings.

I'll make some screenshots later so people can make their own determinations.

Last edited:
So wait... are people seriously going to skip this one because the graphics in the first were "better"?

...Wow.

I found it pretty dissapointing. It's Dx9 only at the moment with half the texture resolution, mostly static environments, cutoff horizon lines, FMV movie sequences rather than running in-engine for alot of the cut-scenes and Inferior AA. I was honestly more impressed with Shogun 2. The scale/detail is shimply dazzling.

I'm glad I don't have an uber super computer to compare graphics too. Looks great on my 360.

Okay, here are some screenshots I took using the Steam screenshot utility. I run the game on maximum settings at 1680x1050 resolution (my native). Draw your own conclusions about the graphical quality.

It really is a gorgeous game. I need to finish up my 2nd play through.

Okay, here are some screenshots I took using the Steam screenshot utility. I run the game on maximum settings at 1680x1050 resolution (my native). Draw your own conclusions about the graphical quality.

For comparison, here are a couple of shots from Crysis (again running on maximum settings at 1680x1050).

For comparison, here are a couple of shots from Crysis (again running on maximum settings at 1680x1050).

I like 2 a lot more. It's been a while since I've played Crysis 1 and I think 2 is better in nearly every way. The only thing Crysis 1 is better with is environments. The areas are a little too small in 2. But everything else is near flawless.

Yea, Crysis really doesnt look that much better than Crysis 2, if at all.

Thats why Crysis 2 is awesome.

I wanna play Crysis with the extreme graphics mod, but yeah Crysis 2 is gorgeous.

I don't see why. If you have played the start of the game you can clearly see it's using FMV sequences, which on a pc with higher resolution are obvious. On the other hand, Crysis seamlessly jumped for in-engine gameplay to cut-scene. Less interactivity. More obvious boundaries, more linear, Inferior graphics. e.t.c... In practically every checkpoint box it would qualify as a less immersing game.
Immersed as in I care about where I'm going and what I'm doing, whereas I didn't before, until it changed the scenary.

I like that it is more linear. I hated the fact that the first was so open. I didn't want to go so far to do almost nothing for so long until I finally found the enemies. Crysis enviroments, to me, needs to be just as big as the second one is.
The suits interface only requires one button. :/
And now we don't even need that. We don't get to choose what specific capability we want. We simply just use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"