Curse You And Your DC Universe!!!

From Vertigo:
I'm currently reading Hellblazer and 100 Bullets, and I can absolutely recommend every page of every issue of both series. Hellblazer, and pretty much all of its various spinoff minis and one-shots, have all been stunningly good. 100 Bullets has also been elegantly, gorgeously put together. After a brief slowdown in pacing and energy, it's really gotten its groove back, and I'm excited for the final #100.

Fables is good, but I've never enjoyed it as much as a lot of people did. I'm also looking forward to Unknown Soldier and Haunted Tank, since I always give any DCU-derived Vertigo title a shot.

Basically, anything you get from Vertigo will be good. It's a question of how much the specific thing moves you to read it. It's the way comics should be: they're all good, it's just up to you to decide what kind of comics you want to read.

From WildStorm: The WildStorm Universe is probably the only consistently good superhero universe. For about 13 years, it's just been rock-solid. Every title, linewide, unstoppably good. But it's going to take some real reading time and some cash to get into it. You may want to save this for later. But when you do...
Read all the old Planetary, Stormwatch, Authority, and WildC.A.T.S. stuff. All of it. Read all of the Kev stuff. Read basically anything WildStorm Universe post-1995. And read the current Authority, WildC.A.T.S., Stormwatch, and Gen13.

Also check out all the old America's Best Comics line, as they're putting out a new Top Ten mini.

And Storming Paradise and Ferryman have been good.

Wow, Aristotle's actually endorsing the original Wildcats and Stormwatch stuff? Those were some absolutely terrible comics. Wildcats only got good for a little bit in the first volume when Moore peeled back some layers of Kheran society, and then in volumes 2 and 3 it got really good.

My God, Aristotle, do you read EVERYTHING!? :wow:
Not everything, but I do read a lot. My weak spot is Marvel, easily. The only Marvel I've read for a really long time is Cap and Ghost Rider. A few years ago I started reading Avengers back issues, and then a friend got me into Astonishing X-Men, which got me into the X-Men, and from there I've diversified decently into Marvel, but I'm still a mid-level Marvel guy at best.

Wow, Aristotle's actually endorsing the original Wildcats and Stormwatch stuff? Those were some absolutely terrible comics. Wildcats only got good for a little bit in the first volume when Moore peeled back some layers of Kheran society, and then in volumes 2 and 3 it got really good.
No, I'm really not endorsing the stuff until Ellis took over Stormwatch and Moore took over Wildcats, but it's easier to just say all of it, or post-1995.

Okay, that's more reasonable. Personally, I couldn't stand most of Wildcats' volume 1 stuff after Moore left, either. That whole jaunt through time drawn by Benes was a struggle to get through when I was reading it, although it wasn't because of Benes' art. He was actually pretty good back then, before he got pretentious and decided to overdo it with lots of unnecessary rendering.

I read some JSA around the Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis time and it was good, and I've read the first arc of the new ongoing from a trade at my library, so I know that's a title I'll be getting. Is it safe to start at the current issue or do I need to go back a few to get what's going on?

Strongly recommend you start from issue 1 of the latest series so you do not get confused. But you will not regret it. I'm telling you. It has been flawless since the start of the new series. Plus, it is only like...16 issues in or something? I forget. The series prior to the current one is great too. I've been catching up on those trades still actually.

Seriously though. #1 comicbook for me at the moment.

So who is all in this book. I loved the first 25 issues of the Outsides led by Arsinel but haven't read it since. I don't plan on reading a bunch of Batman books so this will really depend on who else is in it. What issue are they on?

The line-up is what I love most about it. Believe me, I know what you mean. I used to be a crazy Batfan, but all this overly exposed Batlove really turns me away. The team is: Metamorpho, Batgirl, Martian Manhunter, Grace, Green Arrow, Batman, Thunder (in a way), Katana, and Catwoman. The story has been very entertaining.

I've read the first half of Bendis' run and love it. I figure once I get to the point where Brubaker took over I'll just keep going, but I'm not looking to start it up right now.

That's cool. But as I said, for 100+ issues? It has yet to disappoint me.

Thank you for all your insight you've been very helpful.

A few others I recommend:

Hawkman (latest series prior to Hawkgirl OYL title change): Johns' run was phenomenal. After he left the book, it went down slightly for me, but that changed soon after. The pre-OYL the arc left me breathless.

Villains United, Secret Six...pretty much any of the mini concerning the villains; they have just been phenomenal. Also, Suicide Squad? Amazing. DC is really making their villains shine as of the past few years.

Have you read ALL of the Infinite Crisis tie-ins? Because Day of Vengeance...I mean wow. Really surprised me man. Sad to hear that the Shadowpact series that came with the OYL stuff wasn't great. I haven't checked it out, but I haven't heard amazing things. Not terrible, but not what I expected to hear.

You mention checking out Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps lately...but if you did after the Sinestro Corps War...you seriously need to backtrack. The SCW was pure awesomeness. Before I didn't care much for the GLs. I liked them and their rings...but now I love reading both of the titles.

You sound like you don't want to get involved in too much Batman stuff, so I won't list out any. But if you want, I can.

I don't know if you got love for the Marine Marvel...but if you are interested I can throw down my favorite Aquaman stories. :oldrazz:

No, I'm really not endorsing the stuff until Ellis took over Stormwatch and Moore took over Wildcats, but it's easier to just say all of it, or post-1995.

It's true your honor, this man has no dick.

First, WompuM, incredible line from a incredible movie. Second, I would recommend Identity Crisis, HUSH, Trinity (this weeks issue was amazing despite aristotles comments), Superman/Batman, EVERY SINGLE KYLE GL BOOK, Rebirth, SCW if you want. Oh and anything written by loeb that includes Batman or Superman. Get the Hardcover of Morrisons JLA, best 30 bucks i have spent. You said you were more PG-13 well get rated R fast and pick up Watchmen, something im ashamed no one recommended.

Pfft, had I seen this topic yesterday, i'd have told you to go to hell. I tried to get you to get into DC a couple of times and now, after they took your precious Spidey away, do you listen? Well tough s**t!! :mad: :)

Pfft, had I seen this topic yesterday, i'd have told you to go to hell. I tried to get you to get into DC a couple of times and now, after they took your precious Spidey away, do you listen? Well tough s**t!! :mad: :)

What can I say. You're just that sucky of a salesman :)

And thanks to everyone, that's been a big help so far. And Aristotle, you rock. I have a feeling I'll be looking over your post quite a bit in the coming months.

And for the record. I stopped by Half Priced Books today and picked up the first 5 issues of "52" and and 3 issue "Spectre" mini following Infinite Crisis. Loved them all. Between reading GL: Reborn, Days Of Vengeance, Infinite Crisis, Spectre, and Revelations... Spectre is becoming a favorate of mine in the DC world. And I really like the Crispin guy that's part of him as well. I'll have to get the comics with him in it between Spectre and Revelations. And what comics did Crispin appear in prior to Final Crisis? I get the impression he's an established character in relation to Montoya/Question.

My main goal at the moment is to get all of the "52" comics. From there I wanted to get "Spectre" and "Battle For Bludhaven" as they're aftermaths of Infinite Crisis. Well, I have Spectre, so now I just need BFB. I figure from there I'll start a few "One Year Later" titles to see what I like, as well as a few of the mini's from the "Brave New World" one-shot... specifically "Omac," "Uncle Sam," and "Creeper" as I liked those stories best.

From the "One Year Later" era.... what titles do you suggest? What was good? I remember hearing a lot of people being disappointed with "One Year Later" so what should I dodge and what should I read? Note... I plan on reading the Green Lantern and Green Arrow stuff... but what else?

You said you were more PG-13 well get rated R fast and pick up Watchmen, something im ashamed no one recommended.

I have read it and honestly, I just wasn't much on it. There were cool scenes, but overall I just didn't much care for it. I can see why others would like it, it was written well (though wordy). I am just really turned off by nudity and language and such, hence the PG-13 preferance. The ending was great, but everything leading up to the ending was mediocre for me.

Now, that's not to say I can't like anything "R", but it takes a really good story for me to like it. Example... I won't own them because of the material, but "Miracle Man" was freakin' great. And "Supreme Power" through Marvel's MAX line was also very good.

And for the record. I stopped by Half Priced Books today and picked up the first 5 issues of "52" and and 3 issue "Spectre" mini following Infinite Crisis. Loved them all. Between reading GL: Reborn, Days Of Vengeance, Infinite Crisis, Spectre, and Revelations... Spectre is becoming a favorate of mine in the DC world. And I really like the Crispin guy that's part of him as well. I'll have to get the comics with him in it between Spectre and Revelations. And what comics did Crispin appear in prior to Final Crisis? I get the impression he's an established character in relation to Montoya/Question.

I believe Crispus Allen played a prominent role in the critically-acclaimed series "Gotham Central". Written by Greg Rucka, it was a police procedural-type series focusing on the folks who work at the GCPD. Despite low sales spelling cancellation, it built up a hardcore fanbase that praised the gritty style and high-quality characterisation.

Oh, dear God, if you're gonna read anything, read Gotham Central. :up: :up: :up:

Battle for Bludhaven was a subpar story, but it did have some long-term ramifications. That might be one to just download.

Everyone seems to just love Justice Society of America, but I've never read it. In fact, it's probably the only thing Geoff Johns is writing that I'm not following. Is it worthwhile getting into? And if so, would it be better to go back to the start of the run, seeing that it's only at #16? Is any of the run collected in TPB form?

OYL JSA has been a mixed bag. It's good enough, but I don't think it's nearly as good as it could be. I definitely recommend pre-OYL JSA.

Yes, get Blue Beetle for sure, as everyone has suggested. It is been hands down the best series at DC ever since it began.

Absolutely get anything of Rucka's that you can. Gotham Central, Checkmate, Crime Bible, his old Wonder Woman run, his old Adventures of Superman run, etc.

The current JLA is not bad, but it went through a whole lot of stumbling blocks post-OYL. For unequivocally good JLA, look to the trades of Morrison, Waid, and Kelly. I personally consider them the epitome of what JLA could be.

I'm not as into Manhunter as I wish I could be, but it's consistent and worth a shot.

Things to skip: Teen Titans is an underwhelming mess. I'd buy into the running theory that McKeever is a plant from Marvel to make DC suck but for the fact that DiDio is personally editing Teen Titans, so there's plenty of blame to go around I suppose. I see that you for some reason believe that Judd Winick's current work isn't a pale, infuriating imitation of what he was once capable of, so I suppose you might give Titans a try. It's not nearly as bad as Teen Titans, at least.

Do not get anything Wonder Woman-related from 2007. That includes Jodi Picoult's five-issue arc, the entirety of Amazons Attack and all its tie-ins, and a couple issues from Pfeifer. Most people do not like Allan Heinberg's introductory arc either, though I don't think it's nearly so bad. Simone has been doing very good work since then, but it's sometimes disheartening that her run so far has felt like a giant slab of "FIX EVERYTHING FROM 2007." And it probably will stay that way for a good while.

Skip Countdown. For the love of God and his dumpy mother, skip it. I'm sorry, I know that after all this time I should no longer be surprised at horrible taste of any kind, but it hurts my soul that people clung tooth, nail, and talon to that series. Tooth, nail, and ****ing talon. You just could not stop people from reading it.

And of course, true to form, nowadays all you hear from these parts is "Meh I'm dropping Trinity," when Trinity is at bare minimum four to five times as good. I should no longer be surprised, really, but...

Superman/Batman. The best DC's put out in years.
Don't lie.
Blue Beetle took a monumental drop in quality since Rogers left.
Don't lie.

So just chat with me. Discuss. Help a converty out. What should I do and where should I go from here?
Don't limit yourself to DC, or at least, don't limit yourself to superheroes. Jonah Hex is wonderful. The new Haunted Tank is going to be great.

IDW has had a nice year. Some of the Star Trek stuff is excellent. They're coming out with an all-new G.I. Joe series that's going to rock. I'm also looking forward to their Ghostbusters series, which sounds awesome.

Dark Horse has B.P.R.D. which scares the **** out of me, and Hellboy is always a fun read. Fear Agent is pretty damn good, but you'll have to do some digging if you want to follow the current story.

Dynamite's Zorro is exquisite, and The Boys is also very good.

Yeah, Dark Horse is doing some really good stuff with the Mignolaverse (BPRD, Hellboy), as always, as well as their Star Wars comics. I rarely pick up much from IDW or some of those houses. For indie comics, I get Dark Horse, Boom, and Avatar (and Moonstone, if they happen to be in stock at the LCS.) and yes, I'm still reading The Boys and Project Superpowers from Dynamite, but I dropped Zorro and the Lone Ranger from them, partially because they're uninteresting, and partially because I want to support them as little as possible. I don't like the way they handled the Phantom dispute. It reeked of a bigger publishing house waving more money at the licensor than the Moonstone guys and just getting their way.

I haven't read anything from Moonstone yet, but they have a lot of interesting titles. I might have to check out that Mandrake. I haven't heard about the Phantom dispute. I had Lone Ranger on my pull list back in January, but for some reason, it never got shipped after several months, so I just let it go. I've been collecting Zorro since it started, and I'll keep buying it as long as they keep making it.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Boom! I read North Wind, and loved it. I can't wait for Farscape. Cthulu is another one I had on my list, but never received. I just looked at their website, and I just had to close it down, because I'm trying to maintain some sort of budget, here.

Picked up Secret Six 1 and 2 at the shop yesterday. Haven't read them yet but skimming the first issue tells me I'll probably like them. I figure I'll wiki everything with them post Infinite Crisis to now to get up to date.

You really should read their last two series. They are really worth it.

And maybe Quiver if you haven't read it yet to get an idea of just how far Catman has come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"