Superman Returns We don't like how this movie is looking (merged)

Ita-KalEl said:
Matt, you know very well that it isn't the same thing :)

Yes, it is! You are a fan of Superman on a board full of Superman fans. Of course he is big here. If you mention Dracula, Superman, King Kong, and Frankenstein to your average joe, they will know pretty much just the basics on it. They don't live by this stuff like you do. They are simply a name to them.

Matt said:
Still, Hulk is a huge icon...that has popularity among the general public from the TV series. The point is, even icons can fail (or at least not do as well as expected)...

If anything, Hulk's status as an icon hurt him. The general public's perception of him (a 6 foot tall, Lou Ferrigno-esque muscleman)...turned many of them off from Ang Lee's take.

Well, the TV show was a 25 year old rip-off of the Fugitive with an extra angle. It wasn't an icon issue as much as public misconception of the character that the film had a hard time being recepted by the genral audience. Alot of what I "get" about the Hulk was in the film. Unfortunatly, from my exsperience, most people dont get the Hulk. Too be honest, the movie didn't appeal for whatever reason, but if you want to compare Superman to any marvel character, Spider-man is by far a more fair comparison than the Hulk. And generally, I think the films will be recieved in about the same way. For all Spideys detractors, people flocked to see it, children became enveloped in it, and adults found a good escape in it.

Matt said:
Still, Hulk is a huge icon...that has popularity among the general public from the TV series. The point is, even icons can fail (or at least not do as well as expected)...

If anything, Hulk's status as an icon hurt him. The general public's perception of him (a 6 foot tall, Lou Ferrigno-esque muscleman)...turned many of them off from Ang Lee's take.
Correct Hulk was too different from what the general public was used too...from what we have seen..Superman has not really been changed from what the general public is used too.

Nivek said:
Well, the TV show was a 25 year old rip-off of the Fugitive with an extra angle. It wasn't an icon issue as much as public misconception of the character that the film had a hard time being recepted by the genral audience. Alot of what I "get" about the Hulk was in the film. Unfortunatly, from my exsperience, most people dont get the Hulk. Too be honest, the movie didn't appeal for whatever reason, but if you want to compare Superman to any marvel character, Spider-man is by far a more fair comparison than the Hulk. And generally, I think the films will be recieved in about the same way.

The way the icon can hurt it, is people may be going in, expecting an action packed Superhero movie. This isn't that.

Matt said:
Yes, it is! You are a fan of Superman on a board full of Superman fans. Of course he is big here. If you mention Dracula, Superman, King Kong, and Frankenstein to your average joe, they will know pretty much just the basics on it. They don't live by this stuff like you do. They are simply a name to them.

Knowing of and being interested in are two different things as well
Everyone knows of Superman but are they interested in him

Venom71 said:
Correct Hulk was too different from what the general public was used too...from what we have seen..Superman has not really been changed from what the general public is used too.

No, but it has become some character driven drama with only two major action scenes, both of which are simply Superman lifting heavy things.

hunter rider said:
Knowing of and being interested in are two different things as well
Everyone knows of Superman but are they interested in him

Exactly. Everyone knows of Kong just as everyone knows of Superman. People generally did NOT have any desire to see Kong.

Ita-KalEl said:
IMO POTC2 will be great! I say that it will beat SR, but it will not destroy it.
If the reviews are good good, I can see a great success.

Since April I have read "MI:3 will beat SR!"; "X3 will beat SR!"; "Cars will beat SR!"; "POTC2 will beat SR!".

According to some people SR will be beaten by every movie.
Why do you hate the idea of a great success?

1.Do you hate Singer because he is a traitor of the XMEN franchise?
2.Do you hate Routh because you love Welling?
3.Do you hate DC comics because you are a Marvel fanboy?
4.Do you want to make love with Orlando Bloom?
:)

5.What is your problem?

1.Can careless.
2.no
3.LOVE MARVEL & DC EQUALLY!
4.:confused:
5. No originality

Matt said:
The way the icon can hurt it, is people may be going in, expecting an action packed Superhero movie. This isn't that.

Well, from reading the novel, you should know it hits all the right notes to cover that! Dont know what your exspecting in an action packed Superhero movie, but this movies plot fits all the bills.

Nivek said:
Well, from reading the novel, you should know it hits all the right notes to cover that! Dont know what your exspecting in an action packed Superhero movie, but this movies plot fits all the bills.

Lifting heavy objects isn't exactly mind blowing action sequences.

Matt said:
No, but it has become some character driven drama with only two major action scenes, both of which are simply Superman lifting heavy things.
Nothing wrong with it being Character driven....and my guess is that their will be more then 2 major action scenes..and I still say as much time as you spend on these boards...you will be there opening night Matt first one in line ;) :D

Matt said:
People generally did NOT have any desire to see Kong.

GAH!!!!

Once again, over Half a Billion in box office worldwide, record setting DVD sales, and Jacksons King Kong sit's at #4 in Universals biggests Box office hits ever.

Now, what was that about people not seeing it?

Matt said:

No, Matt I can't believe that a smart guy like you think that a new Frankestein or Dracula movie would have the same impact of a Superman movie at the b.o. .
The genres are totally different.
Superman Returns is a superhero movie, not a giant monster movie like Godzilla or King Kong.

The only problem with SR could be the quality of the plot. But I'm optimist because IMO Singer isn't an idiot.

Venom71 said:
Nothing wrong with it being Character driven....and my guess is that their will be more then 2 major action scenes..and I still say as much time as you spend on these boards...you will be there opening night Matt first one in line ;) :D

Probably not. My business is at its most active on friday and saturday nights so I'm usually there.

Ita-KalEl said:
No, Matt I can't believe that a smart guy like you think that a new Frankestein or Dracula movie would have the same impact of a Superman movie at the b.o. .
The genres are totally different.
Superman Returns is a superhero movie, not a giant monster movie like Godzilla or King Kong.

The only problem with SR could be only the quality of the plot. But I'm optimist because IMO Singer isn't an idiot.

You're right. It won't do as good because there is no longer interest in it. However, do you remember back in the 60s? How popular the Hammer films were? Their biggest sellers were Frankenstein and Dracula. Back in the 60s, there is a good chance a monster movie would've wiped the floor with Superman.

Nowadays...people don't care as much. Don't you see the slightest possibility that people will see Superman and just go "meh"?

Matt said:
Probably not. My business is at its most active on friday and saturday nights so I'm usually there.

Well, fortunatly as you pointed out before on the board...

What movie opens on a tuesday

I guess for guys like you! :)

Nivek said:
Well, fortunatly as you pointed out before on the board...

I guess for guys like you! :)

hehe, the entire tuesday night thing entirely slipped my mind.

Matt said:
Lifting heavy objects isn't exactly mind blowing action sequences.
Maybe not on paper..but it could be on the big screen....I am sure it will look 1000X better then Superman carryinng the frozen lake in S:III

Venom71 said:
Maybe not on paper..but it could be on the big screen....I am sure it will look 1000X better then Superman carryinng the frozen lake in S:III

Or filling in the San Andreas Fault, or catching a missle like in the original film.

Venom71 said:

Maybe, but it could also be cheesey music playing with close ups on Routh grunting for about 40 seconds.

I'm really waiting for the first real reviews. I think that next week we'll read some :)

Matt said:
You're right. It won't do as good because there is no longer interest in it. However, do you remember back in the 60s? How popular the Hammer films were? Their biggest sellers were Frankenstein and Dracula. Back in the 60s, there is a good chance a monster movie would've wiped the floor with Superman.

Nowadays...people don't care as much. Don't you see the slightest possibility that people will see Superman and just go "meh"?
A very small possibility.

Ita-KalEl said:
I'm really waiting for the first real reviews. I think that next week we'll read some :)

First review means squat. WB will show it to a critic who is generally favorable towards them, Singer, and the genre.

I'd like to wait for the majority of critics to get their hands on it (third week of June)

Matt said:
Maybe, but it could also be cheesey music playing with close ups on Routh grunting for about 40 seconds.

Actually, from reading the novel
you dont actually see him lifting New Krypton, Lex notices it crumbling before he see Supes lifting it out. 40 seconds of grunting... sheesh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"