Daily Planet Reporter Clark Kent, do you still want to see him?

Using the Daily Planet needs to be an bigger priority in a reboot.

The fundamental understanding of Lois and Clark comes from them working together. I know it was a tv budget reasoning but having Lois and Clark together on screen talking as colleagues is what made people invest in the dynamic.

Jumping straight to Lois knowing robbed the characters of their dynamic. It didn’t address why no one else in the newsroom realizes it just so they could answer that annoying fanboy.. “how come she can’t see it” refrain.

Last edited:
I’d love to see the DP play a huge role going forward. The story doesn’t need to completely revolve around it, but it (and the employees who work at it) need to play a role. There’s no point to Kent if the Planet is just there to be there or is just window dressing.

I want more of the Daily Planet too. It's like another character in itself. One that has been underutilized in the last few films.

The Daily planet should totally play a bigger role in the reboot. I wanna see a return of the banter and competitive dynamics between Lois Lane and Clark Kent, Jimmy's idolization of Perry, Lois and Clark , and Perry as not just the boss , but the papa bear in alot of ways.

They're Clark's sort of surrogate family in Metropolis. I sort of see it as Clark moving away from one family in Smallville, then he comes to Metropolis and creates a new family at the Planet. That's always been one of the great and enduring aspects of the Super mythology to me.

Unfortunately it's been pretty well lost on the big screen since Reeve era, I would argue.

SR, MOS, BVS, and JL either underutilized the Planet dynamics or treated it more as an after thought.

The focus of the last few films has been more about what Superman's effect is on a global scale as opposed to what Superman/Clark's effect in on those 3 people who work in the Daily Planet.

That's what they need to get back to.

Of course he should be a reporter.

I think Lois will/should know his secret identity from the get-go in this new film. She gets the scoop, he stops the bad guys.

Ideally Jimmy Olsen is a presence in a new film too. Comic relief, okay, but an actual character. Give him some clout as a photographer too—I love the scene in Johns’ Secret Origins where Jimmy corrects Superman’s pose when taking his picture on the Planet rooftop and it ends up being front page. If audiences are thirsty for a secret identity reveal, Superman can do so to his best pal Jimmy (later down the road in a sequel or two).

And I’d love to have the whole gang there too—Steve Lombard, Ron Troupe, Cat Grant.

Maybe even have Luthor trying to buy the paper.

Yeah, so long as they make something interesting out of it.

I say bring in Cat Grant to rebrand the paper or build up its digital presence, making it 'hip' and cool with today's audiences. Obviously, a parallel to the treatment of Supes himself. And Clark is forced to start learning all this young people stuff from Jimmy.

Last edited:
There are so many opportunities here with The Daily Planet, particularly with the way that journalism is changing and you could have sown good tension in there with Lois and Perry perhaps being old school journalists and Clark and Jimmy being more of the newer style. The key is thinking outside the box. What Sony and the MCU did with J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man game and in FFH was genius. WB should be thinking like that.

I would take a somewhat radical departure and make the Daily Planet an online independent media platform kinda like Democracy Now. I don't think it's realistic for a platform the size of the DP in the comics to have that much journalistic independence anymore (it maybe made sense in the 1930's). And Perry White is supposed to be a real journalist, unlike Jameson.

Last edited:
I agree the Daily Planet should have a digital/ tv side. You could also introduce rival papers and characters.

Also, at least in the first movie don’t let Clark get the job at the Planet. Let him interview and fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"