The Dark Knight Dark Knight film influences?

afireinside20

Civilian
Reaction score
we know Heat is an influence on the bank heist scene, and quite possibly the whole movie(i watched it recently i think nolan is going for that look)
A Clockwork Orange was another, and i think the 70s and 80s cop movies are an influence anthing else?

we know Heat is an influence on the bank heist scene, and quite possibly the whole movie(i watched it recently i think nolan is going for that look)
A Clockwork Orange was another, and i think the 70s and 80s cop movies are an influence anthing else?
Didn't know that, that scene was spot on indeed, so it's a good idea! Also remember that Begins had some French Connections influences, it was great!

I can see the French Connection influence in the Begins car chase to a certain extent. Then again, that movie has influenced just about every movie car chase since it came out.

Heat being an influence on TDK is certainly a good sign. As I said on another thread, the description of The Joker wildly firing his machine gun on the street reminds me of the famous shootout from Heat. You could probably include a lot of Michael Mann movies in as an influence (can I recommend "Thief" with James Caan?). I would also say Silence of the Lambs, although that might just be one I hope influences the film.

Let's see, there's A Clockwork Orange, the Killing Joke, Joker's Five-Way-Revenge, the first two issues of BatMan, the Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, Sid Vicious, The Long Halloween, and other things I can't think of at the momment.

As I said on another thread, the description of The Joker wildly firing his machine gun on the street reminds me of the famous shootout from Heat.

What made the shootout so realistic and incredible was the sound. You could tell that they didn't use any stupid post sound effects for the weapons. They sounded real, like huge hole punchers with the sound bouncing off all the hard structures and echoing for miles. Its a sound so loud that nothing else can be heard above it, not dialogue, cars, or even non-diegetic music. That would be incredible to see.

Does anyone know what kind of SMG he's firing? I though I read somewhere it was a Thompson.

He screened Blade Runner for his crew at the beginning of Batman Begins production.

He said he wants the city of Gotham to be just as much a character in the film as anyone else, the way Michael Mann did it with L.A. in HEAT and COLLATERAL. I think he also mentioned The Fugitive at one point as well.

Let's see, there's A Clockwork Orange, the Killing Joke, Joker's Five-Way-Revenge, the first two issues of BatMan, the Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, Sid Vicious, The Long Halloween, and other things I can't think of at the momment.

what about the killing joke, the killlingjoke

Hey, who directed the "Heat" you're talking about Fire? I asked my dad the other day if we had the movie and he asked which film, saying there's about 2 or 3 movies with that title. I wanna know so I can go out and cop it and see it for myself.

While I havent seen the prologue yet, I'm just gonna throw in Batman The Long Halloween, The Man Who Laughs, and Clockwork Orange (suggested from one of the interviews Heath Ledger had) as some of the influences on this film.

Hey, who directed the "Heat" you're talking about Fire? I asked my dad the other day if we had the movie and he asked which film, saying there's about 2 or 3 movies with that title. I wanna know so I can go out and cop it and see it for myself.

While I havent seen the prologue yet, I'm just gonna throw in Batman The Long Halloween, The Man Who Laughs, and Clockwork Orange (suggested from one of the interviews Heath Ledger had) as some of the influences on this film.

Heat-thumb.jpg

Previous Bat-Movies (obviously)

Heat
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
The French Connection
The Godfather
Die Hard with a Vengeance (although this probably had its own influences)

Heat was directed by Michael Mann (Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Collateral, Miami Vice etc.). It is a sprawling crime epic based in Los Angeles, the ultimate modern cops and robbers story really, starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. It was based on a TV Special Mann himself wrote and directed in 1989 called LA Takedown. The central setpiece of the movie is a bank robbery sequence that turns into an enormous shootout across the streets of Downtown LA in the middle of the working day. It's f***ing great.

:) Thank you

Heat was directed by Michael Mann (Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Collateral, Miami Vice etc.). It is a sprawling crime epic based in Los Angeles, the ultimate modern cops and robbers story really, starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. It was based on a TV Special Mann himself wrote and directed in 1989 called LA Takedown. The central setpiece of the movie is a bank robbery sequence that turns into an enormous shootout across the streets of Downtown LA in the middle of the working day. It's f***ing great.

:D Just reading that has got this big grin plastered on my face. Shootout right in the middle of broad day. Especially a city like Los Angeles?
Plus the director is the same from Collateral? I keep that movie in my top lists! :D Thank you. I'm about to get this movie before the weeks over

in what way does Joker's Five-Way-Revenge influence the movie? i thought that killing joke, batman 1 and 2, the long halloween and maybe the man who laughs, were influences to the story

Although I did not make this, i think it gets the point across of what influenced joker..

sinttulo2no5.jpg

Stanley Kubrick's The Killing. Apparently Nolan is a huge Kubrick fan.

thekilling4.jpg

i know someone mentioned this on another board, but the masks in the robbery are clearly influenced by stanley kubrick's film the killing.

EDIT- ahhh somebody said it before me!

I always viewed the masks as a nod to The Long Halloween/Dark Victory where the Joker would have himself and his goons wearing Joker masks.

But that movie fits as well.

-R

I always viewed the masks as a nod to The Long Halloween/Dark Victory where the Joker would have himself and his goons wearing Joker masks.

But that movie fits as well.

-R

wait where in TLH or dark victory did Mr. J every wear a mask?

Ooh, I haven't seen The Killing. Hello Netflix...

Speaking of Heat, southern Californians might remember there was a similar shootout that happened in LA a few years after the movie came out. Some robbers came out of a bank and had fully automatic weapons and basically pinned down the cops by firing wildly at them, until the cops commandeered a gun store nearby and helped themselves to some of the weapons inside. All of this was shown live on TV from a helicopter. It was insanity.

Anyone but me remember watching that on TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"