The Dark Knight Dark Knight film influences?

This is the only listed that makes any sense.

Heat = no. Not in the least. The bank heist scene plays more like the building takeover in Die Hard than Heat.

Clockwork Orange = no. I haven't seen a single neon/hyper reality pic or sequence description.

That's a very absolute statement to make. Nolan mentioned Heat as an influence in an interview the other day. He has also repeatedly mentioned A Clockwork Orange as an influence on his Joker.

/your argument

I've never seen that.

Please provide a link or / your BS.

I watched the opening scene. It's NOTHING like Heat. Especially considering the scene you apparently want to cite is shot almost 90% exterior and the prologue was 99% inside the bank.

I haven't seen anything or heard of anything that would warrant a comparison to A Clockwork Orange.

Please show me proof of your statement. It doesn't sound legit in the least.

As I said before from what I've seen and read about the whole movie and taking into consideration that this acts as more of a continuation to Batman Begins than a sequel this looks to be more rooted in the artistic elements that would have been the influence for movies made a long time ago that then influenced others and on and on and eventually we get more contemporary stuff.

I mean by the logic presented there I can just as easily say: in an interview the other day Nolan said outright that he hasn't even seen Heat and would never use it as an influence.

So in short, no. My point/argument is far from over.

*I'm quite ready to concede on this immediately after reading the article you're citing. That's assuming the quote you are saying he made is actually what he said and how he meant it.

Guys, any argument against HEAT or A CLOCKWORK ORANGE not being an influence is simply stupid as Nolan has SAID that both played an influence for him. The Heat reference was in the recent IGN interview and they talked about Alex being an influence on Heath's performance from day one.

I've never seen that.

Please provide a link or / your BS.

I watched the opening scene. It's NOTHING like Heat. Especially considering the scene you apparently want to cite is shot almost 90% exterior and the prologue was 99% inside the bank.

I haven't seen anything or heard of anything that would warrant a comparison to A Clockwork Orange.

Please show me proof of your statement. It doesn't sound legit in the least.

As I said before from what I've seen and read about the whole movie and taking into consideration that this acts as more of a continuation to Batman Begins than a sequel this looks to be more rooted in the artistic elements that would have been the influence for movies made a long time ago that then influenced others and on and on and eventually we get more contemporary stuff.

I mean by the logic presented there I can just as easily say: in an interview the other day Nolan said outright that he hasn't even seen Heat and would never use it as an influence.

So in short, no. My point/argument is far from over.

*I'm quite ready to concede on this immediately after reading the article you're citing. That's assuming the quote you are saying he made is actually what he said and how he meant it.
Here's where HEAT is mentioned in a recent interview:
IGN: Was there ever any concern about including a reporter character in the film since the 1989 Batman film had Alexander Knox in it?

Nolan: Well, there's always an element -- there's plenty of other films, whether it's Daredevil or something, where reporters come into it and there's a reason for it. The reason being, particularly in the case of The Dark Knight, we're attempting to tell a very large, city story or the story of a city. In the same way that, I don't know, Michael Mann's films, like Heat or something. That was sort of an inspiration. If you want to take on Gotham, you want to give Gotham a kind of weight and breadth and depth in there. So you wind up dealing with the political figures, the media figures. That's part of the whole fabric of how a city is bound together.

IGN: So is that where you got the idea to cast William Fichtner as the bank manager in your robbery sequence? From Heat?

Nolan: [Laughs] Yeah, I know! Exactly! It's a bit of a nod to that. He's just an incredible talent and I wanted somebody who'd jump off the screen in our first six minutes because he's really the only face you see for most of it.
Take from it what you will.

The heat reference was talking about the Bank Manager right? the same guy in the movie doing a similar role or something like that?

The heat reference was talking about the Bank Manager right? the same guy in the movie doing a similar role or something like that?
Fichtner had a role in Heat, so that was one of Nolan's reasons for casting him, since the movie did play sort of an influence:

"particularly in the case of The Dark Knight, we're attempting to tell a very large, city story or the story of a city. In the same way that, I don't know, Michael Mann's films, like Heat or something."

Fichtner had a role in Heat, so that was one of Nolan's reasons for casting him, since the movie did play sort of an influence:

"particularly in the case of The Dark Knight, we're attempting to tell a very large, city story or the story of a city. In the same way that, I don't know, Michael Mann's films, like Heat or something."

Hear that? That sounds like a man stating his influence.

If anyone argues against HEAT now they should remove their head from out their bum bums.

Here's where HEAT is mentioned in a recent interview:

Take from it what you will.

Thanks!

That's definitive proof that Heat was NOT an influence. lol

"In the same way that, I don't know, Michael Mann's films, like Heat or something. That was sort of an inspiration."

Hardly concrete proof of a driving influence. That's about as off the cuff as you get.

A Clockwork Orange? Where's that quote? That one seems even more like superfan reaching because that's one of the few movies they know that perhaps could be compared based around the motif.

So it's exactly what I thought.

/ your argument for Heat, guys. I mean they both have guns and guys carrying bags. So do real bank robberies.

Hear that? That sounds like a man stating his influence.

If anyone argues against HEAT now they should remove their head from out their bum bums.

Dude quit making a fool of yourself. lol

That's a man giving an interview and trying to give someone a good answer.

Sure as hell doesn't equate a man stating his influence. It reads more like he's thinking out loud. More like: Heat? I dunno maybe that influenced me since that had a bank job?

Thanks!

"In the same way that, I don't know, Michael Mann's films, like Heat or something. That was sort of an inspiration."

Hardly concrete proof of a driving influence. That's about as off the cuff as you get.

A Clockwork Orange? Where's that quote? That one seems even more like superfan reaching because that's one of the few movies they know that perhaps could be compared based around the motif.

/ your argument for Heat, guys. I mean they both have guns and guys carrying bags. So do real bank robberies.
hmm...he said heat was sort of an inspiration. i'd say that's relatively conclusive. and everyone knows that ledger mentioned clockwork orange many many times. but even more recently he said "it started off like that but quickly went a different route to more like sid vicious" and he mentioned some other people. that's not an exact quote. but i know everyone will back me up on that one. because everyone that's not you seemed to have read these ledger interviews.

Even as filming continues on “The Dark Knight,” Heath Ledger is reflecting on the character he has finished portraying. “It’s the most fun I’ve had with a character and probably will ever have,” Ledger told me today with a mix of wistfulness and relief. Relief because as the Oscar nominee said, “It was an exhausting process. At the end of the day I couldn’t move. I couldn’t talk. I was absolutely wrecked.”

So who is the Joker we’ll meet next summer? “He has zero empathy,” Ledger said, adding that one of the goals for this character was to scare the crap out of audiences next year. Asked about the inspiration for the performance, Ledger cited nothing less than classic Kubrick. “‘A Clockwork Orange’ was a very early starting point for Christian [Bale] and I. But we kind of flew far away from that pretty quickly and into another world altogether.”

When I brought up Sid Vicious as another reported influence on the character, he confirmed the punk rocker was on his mind. “Yeah, I guess so,” attested Ledger. “There’s a bit of everything in him. There’s nothing that consistent.”

Ledger quickly added with a smile, “There are a few more surprises to him.”
It started out as being an inspiration, but ultimately as Heath was molding the character, it ended up being a completely different entity.

hmm...he said heat was sort of an inspiration. i'd say that's relatively conclusive. and everyone knows that ledger mentioned clockwork orange many many times. but even more recently he said "it started off like that but quickly went a different route to more like sid vicious" and he mentioned some other people. that's not an exact quote. but i know everyone will back me up on that one. because everyone that's not you seemed to have read these ledger interviews.

A so The Joker is influenced by Alex?

I hope it held back on that actually. That would be way too forced for a comic book character and he'll risk coming off campy. The prologue showed him being more effortless.

Maybe that influenced him in his molding of The Joker but that's not an influence of movie to movie. So they can back you up on this other point but I'm right in saying that 'no that was not an influence for Nolan on the movie either'.

Sort of an inspiration can be interpreted many diff ways as I already stated. It sure doesn't point to it being a driving influence or anything. More like a quote fans took and ran with. By the and of the week some fans will probably be calling this a Heat remake.

Thanks!

I'm thinking more on how the city is a character like in Heat, not necessarily the casting of Fitchner or the robbery.

inspiration = influence

A so The Joker is influenced by Alex?

I hope it held back on that actually. That would be way too forced for a comic book character and he'll risk coming off campy. The prologue showed him being more effortless.

Maybe that influenced him in his molding of The Joker but that's not an influence of movie to movie. So they can back you up on this other point but I'm right in saying that 'no that was not an influence for Nolan on the movie either'.

Sort of an inspiration can be interpreted many diff ways as I already stated. It sure doesn't point to it being a driving influence or anything. More like a quote fans took and ran with. By the and of the week some fans will probably be calling this a Heat remake.
if a director is good and original, there will be no driving force. nolan actually showed the entire crew of begins Blade Runner and said "this is what i want to do with batman." but does batman look like blade runner? no. is it blade runner? no. the only thing that was blade runner-esque was the narrows. he was simply talking about the tone and maybe the feel.

i think michael mann's movies could be an influence on these movies, and joker might have some parallels to alex, but no. no one thing can be considered the major influence for this movie. unless of course you count...THE COMICS. clearly...this is a comic book movie and no movie is going to be a bigger influence on it than the comics.

I can see Blade Runner in the cinematography of Batman Begins. But I could say the same thing about Fight Club (who's DOP was the son of the DOP on Blade Runner if memory serves me right).

I just get a lot more originality from everything I've seen. If anything The Dark Knight will be the influence for others afterward. :)

That shot they showed the pic of in the LA Times was nuts. That spoke volumes about the approach with the character to me. He looks like he's half asleep...while he's waiting to be picked up to go rob a bank.

well another pointless thread made by some new guy.
AND IT"S IN THE WRONG FORUM!!

ya they have been making a lot of new threads recently

well another pointless thread made by some new guy.
AND IT"S IN THE WRONG FORUM!!

I happen to think it's a rather interesting thread. And just because it's a spoiler forum doesn't mean that the threads have to contain spoilers. It's just a warning that they may.

May I ask what existing thread would be better for discussing this topic?

Honestly, I hate pointless threads as much as the next man, but some of you guys won't seem to be happy until we have only 5 threads each 500 pages long. :whatever:

i know. i mean, i don't usually mind when people call a thread pointless, but clearly enough people like this thread enough to be involved in the discussion, which makes it not pointless. and who uses the non-spoilers forum anyway? i'm not gonna spend my time in some ghost town.

I feel like watching Blade Runner now

For some reason I kinda get an LA Confidential vibe from certain points in TDK. relating to Dent, Rachel and Gordon. and NO I'm not saying it's an 'influence', just reminds of it

yea, as a film buff and not just a bat-fan I find this thread to be pretty interesting.

it gets my vote.

i just love the way the prologue looked. it was so clear. so vibrant. it just looked good. i'm yet to put my finger on it. but it looked fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"