David Fincher’s “The Killer” (Fassbender)

I've waiting for this for a while. It looks great. :)

Netflix can get bent. Was really wanting to see this on the big screen and it's playing absolutely nowhere.

Just realized this is based on the French comic books "Le tueur". I loved reading them when I was a kid.

Couv_2173.jpg

I will say I'm very curious to see what the Fincher superfans think of this. I can see a scenario where they say it's Fincher being too self-aware and too on the nose about his style of film.

MY FULL REVIEW
5/5

The dig at Amazon is kinda funny considering this is a Netflix movie.

A very sleek and well-directed film. Fassbender's narration often reminded me of the best episodes of Dexter and it's great to be reminded why the man is such a great, intense actor. Good pacing and tension, some really good fight scenes (you know the one), and strong tension throughout. Very much enjoyed this and while I know it's on Netflix, it was worth seeing on a movie screen.

Also, I yam what I yam.

I know it's a rando on letterboxd, but this review caught my eye. We're truly f***ed. :o

7A1HqEp.png

I bet "Zardozrulz" was comatose while watching Mindhunter.

Really looking forward to this will watch it Friday night.

The second trailer was good, it looks fairly bleak and miserable but I guess that's what certain audiences find cool, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Comingsoon's review of this was so dumb. 5/10 -- seriously?

Fincher's movies have humor, but I didn't expect this to be a comedy. The opening credits, the aliases... it's a sitcom! :hehe: Brutal and funny. Loved it.

From Fassbender's opening monologue I was engrossed, the first 25 minutes is majestic filmmaking and it felt like every frame was enveloping the story. It's a roaming character piece as we follow this methodical and seemingly cold hitman, it's a fascinating look at an eerily efficient assassin with a story that ironically kicks off with a fail that plays into the ending.

I've seen some say it's slow and boring, I can see the latter being the case for some if this character and subject matter isn't of interest, there's not much action, he's not an empathetic character and we don't get to really know the reason we might care about him, but slow? I can't see that, the narrative is constantly moving forward in a logical and intense way and it doesn't linger on any section of the journey too long.

Personally I thought Fassbender inbued the killer with a certain quirky charm and precise code that engaged me in his mission and Fincher shoots it brilliantly, I hate to sound artsy fartsy but every scene is alive like the film is a living, breathing thing, there's nothing static or dull even in the simplest of scenes.

My favourite Fincher movie since Zodiac.

8.5/10

Last edited:
I'm surprised this got released in the US so late. It premiered here on the 26th and I went to see it in theaters with my best friend for his birthday on November 1st.

Really enjoyable and the comedic subversive elements were a highlight. Though, not sure what the intention behind it was, but I cracked up at the normies line. :funny:

Movie was great. I wish it released wider theatrically, because it would’ve been a great experience. I hope it gets a Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"