Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Joss at the helm? I believe it would have turned out just as great with no one character taking up too much screen time because Joss knew that this was 'The Avengers' and not 'Tony Stark and his amazing friends'. They could've easily gone that route but they didn't. X1 was a good story to introduce you to the X-Men with Wolverine, Magneto, and Rogue at the forefront however X2 and X3 was simply 'Wolverine and the X-Men'.

Avengers wouldn't have worked out as well without the separate films.

1. Introducing each character: Avengers consists of 6 different characters from 6 VERY different universes. In the amount of 2.5 hours they would literally have to explain why there is a WW2 veteran transported into the future, a Green giant monster, a man in a robot suit, a Demi-god, a russian spy and Samuel L. Jackson in an eye patch are somehow connected in the same universe because you know... those things are kind of hard to understand out of context.

2. Back stories. Each one of these odd characters would have needed a back story. They would have to establish who Tony Stark is, his personality, his background. Bruce Banner's origin, his powers, why he is a fugitive. Cap's origin, why a man from the 40s is in the present, how did that happen, and etc. etc. etc.

3. Establish a main story. The plot has to connect each character in some way.

4. Threat. Have some kind of threat or threats. The villain, again has to be connected somehow to each of the characters, those character's back stories, their separate universes, etc.

5. Character development. Each of the characters in addition to showing their back stories have to grow as characters and go through some kind of arc together.

If Joss Whedon would be able to pull all that off in a 2.5 hour movie. Then he would be a god.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with how much each separate movie made in case that's what you think I was referring to.

Last edited:
I'd go even further and say that The Avengers managed to get the people who'd rarely bother with a superhero movie, period.

Well you're talking about getting people in seats vs people enjoying a movie. But why do you think so many people came, casuals and soccer moms included?

Perhaps due to the buzz and word of mouth spread by nerdy people and kids who were hyped up on the team up mega movie thing.

Why else did this movie make so much money? Advertising? Good trailer? Reviews? Tons of movies have those, but don't land in the 3rd highest grossing movie ever spot.

1. Introducing each character: Avengers consists of 6 different characters from 6 VERY different universes. In the amount of 2.5 hours they would literally have to explain why there is a WW2 veteran transported into the future, a Green giant monster, a man in a robot suit, a Demi-god, a russian spy and Samuel L. Jackson in an eye patch are somehow connected in the same universe because you know... those things are kind of hard to understand out of context.

2. Back stories. Each one of these odd characters would have needed a back story. They would have to establish who Tony Stark is, his personality, his background. Bruce Banner's origin, his powers, why he is a fugitive. Cap's origin, why a man from the 40s is in the present, how did that happen, and etc. etc. etc.

4. Threat. Have some kind of threat or threats. The villain, again has to be connected somehow to each of the characters, those character's back stories, their separate universes, etc.

5. Character development. Each of the characters in addition to showing their back stories have to grow as characters and go through some kind of arc together.

If Joss Whedon would be able to pull all that off in a 2.5 hour movie. Then he would be a god.

Agreed. Most of those characters were already introduced before the Avengers movie was released. But for characters that didn't appear or star in their own movie, I don't think we got enough character development from them like Hawkeye.

I think if there was a solo movie for Storm, Jean Grey, Wolverine and Cyclops before X1, Bryan Singer would have probably given them an equal amount of screentime in the first X-Men team movie. But since it wasn't the case, Bryan Singer and writers had to focus on Wolverine, Rogue, Professor X and Magneto.

I just hope Singer retcons the adamantium bullet! That was the worst. ;)

Why retcon it? To retell on why Wolverine's lost his memories.

Its already been done. No need to redo it.

Well you're talking about getting people in seats vs people enjoying a movie. But why do you think so many people came, casuals and soccer moms included?

Perhaps due to the buzz and word of mouth spread by nerdy people and kids who were hyped up on the team up mega movie thing.

I think that the only people influenced by the nerdy people's opinions would be other nerdy people. Not soccer mums and casuals.

Why else did this movie make so much money? Advertising? Good trailer? Reviews? Tons of movies have those, but don't land in the 3rd highest grossing movie ever spot.

I think that the success of really big films, and why one film would appeal to the audience so much more than the other, can be difficult to explain sometimes.

Like, I have a bunch of female friends who normally woudn't go near anything remotely fantastical or sci-fi, who all went to see Avatar in droves. Why? I couldn't really get any reasonable explanation other than that they just wanted to see it.

Why retcon it? To retell on why Wolverine's lost his memories.

Its already been done. No need to redo it.

Apparently the wink smiley was not enough to indicate that was a tongue in cheek post.

I feel like light sarcasm is largely lost on these boards. People take things much too seriously.

Like, I have a bunch of female friends who normally woudn't go near anything remotely fantastical or sci-fi, who all went to see Avatar in droves. Why? I couldn't really get any reasonable explanation other than that they just wanted to see it.

Avatar was huge because of the reintroduction of 3d.

That plus "from the director of Titantic".

What about Avengers?

I would think that it has to do with the nerd-driven hype spreading to casuals.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with how much each separate movie made in case that's what you think I was referring to.

But he did pull it off.

They established who Tony Stark is in the movie itself. The first scene he's in tells you he's rich, funny, "self-obsessed", etc. Stark talks to Banner about the thing in his chest that keeps him alive.

Stark being a former arms dealer, how he became Iron Man, etc don't feed into the story of Avengers at all, and thus the audience doesn't need to know about it. All they need to know about it, his powers and his personality, can be summed up in the dialogue, quite easily.

Same with Hulk. For audiences who are unaware (kids, especially), Hulk is explained in the scene between Coulson and Cap in the plane.

Cap is explained in the montage. That's why we have the montage. We don't need to watch The First Avenger to get Cap's personality. His personality comes through in his scenes in The Avengers.

Same with Thor. The first scene between him and Loki establishes their feud for the movie.

The tesseract is explained by Dr. Selvig in its first scene.

Again, people didn't watch the solo movies and were fine because the movie itself did its job and informed people of what they needed to understand the movie.

So yes, Joss Whedon did pull it off. He could have done it without the solo movies as well.

(it wouldn't have made as much money probably....but that's a different issue. And solo movies before the team up movie does make sense more than it doesn't. I'm just saying that it isn't necessary to make a good Avengers/JL movie)

And yes, the Xmen - Avengers/JL comparison doesn't make sense. In Xmen, they're all mutants. You wouldn't even need 'reminder' scenes of how they got their powers.

Last edited:
Yeah theres alot of people who saw Avengers but didnt see the other MCU films. It works regardless, and made audiences go back and see the films that werent as big as IM and Avengers.

Last edited:

It would have been a very different movie but yes I still do believe Joss could do an Avengers movie without any of them having a solo movie and it still be great. You probably would have had different characters (like Hank and Janet Pym as opposed to Hawkeye and Black Widow) and a different villain and story in general but it could have worked.

I understand with any "Team" origin some characters are gonna have to stick out more than others and I even gave Singer credit for doing a good X1, he gave us a strong leader in Cyclops, a Jean who wanted to do more for her team but felt limited due to her powers, an awesome Prof. X with backstory for he and Magneto, and a Storm who was so powerful yet afraid of the power of normal humans. And he did all that along with a story that involved and focused mainly on Wolverine and Rogue.

It's his X2 that was basically "Wolverine and the X-Men" and even though he didn't direct it X3 is "Wolverine and the X-Men" as well and that is not how it should be and that is where the comparison to Avengers comes from as it could have easily been the "Tony Stark and his amazing friends show" but it wasn't.

Last edited:
I want her role to be well written, but not be a huge part of the story. I don't care who's playing her, she's Mystique, and I want an X-men movie, you know, with actual X-men. She joined Magneto at the end of First Class. The only story left to tell is how she became the deadly killer in the original trilogy, which doesn't need to take up too much time.

True story.

Apparently the wink smiley was not enough to indicate that was a tongue in cheek post.

I feel like light sarcasm is largely lost on these boards. People take things much too seriously.

Well I'm one of the most serious posters here.

Yeah theres alot of people who saw Avengers but didnt see the other MCU films. It works regardless, and made audiences go back and see the films that werent as big as IM and Avengers.

Yeah. I know this guy who's not into summer blockbuster movies and more into Indie/Drama/Foreign movies but he was the movie because of the hype and the movie was like everywhere!

Famke Janssen news,talk about X-Men & The Wolverine on Total film magazine:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/famke-janssen-responds-to-wolverine-rumours

In Total Film magazine issue 204, we catch up with Janssen - who played telekinetic X-woman Jean Grey in the franchise's first three installments - and we asked her to address the rumours surrounding a cameo in The Wolverine...

“I heard! I’m very excited about those rumours [laughs]. After a three-year hiatus and not being able to work because I was developing my own movie, any roles are welcome. So I hope X-Men 10 comes around, with Jean Grey in a wheelchair.”

Notice how she doesn't really give an answer on the Wolverine rumored cameo.

If she shows it will probably be in a flashback or hallucination or something.

I hope it's a hallucination that teases at her return as Phoenix. REAL Phoenix..

Saw this in another thread. I had never heard of him before but he is a french actor who is of African descent. It makes me wonder if he could be Bishop. He does look like him.

probably not since his english is pretty bad. If he is a mutant he is probably either Synch (who be a new brotherhood member) or Gateway (how they can timetravel). Then there is an original character but would have no clue who that could be.

almost everyone is already expecting him to be Bishop on some movie sites.

I dont think it would be a good look if some weeks later its being revealed that he will play a random mutant. Fans have been wanting Bishop for a very long time, so if he ISNT Bishop, I think Bryan should have added his character on the tweet

but lets see what happens

Yeah I am not surprised when people expect it since he is such a popular character. If he is Bishop I can't it being more than a cameo helping the X-Men get to the future.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't ever want to see Bishop in the movieverse! :p

If Bishop was Introduced In a days of future past that was pure X4 I would be more open to him.But,since this Is part first Class sequel and part X4 then I really don't want
any new characters taking time away from OT actors which any appearance by Bishop Is bound to do.

The comic version of DOFP Is far superior to animated adaptians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"