Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried about this film cause I really want it to focus like 75% First Class people, 25% Original trilogy, but I'm not sure if that's going to be the case and that makes me upset. First Class to me was worlds better than any of the first 3 X-Films so I really want to see them keep the focus on that, rather than the original cast clogging everything up, they had 3 movies to try and get it right and didn't fail but didn't impress either. Also.. Wolverine overload in the X-verse ugh.

I'm worried about this film cause I really want it to focus like 75% First Class people, 25% Original trilogy, but I'm not sure if that's going to be the case and that makes me upset. First Class to me was worlds better than any of the first 3 X-Films so I really want to see them keep the focus on that, rather than the original cast clogging everything up, they had 3 movies to try and get it right and didn't fail but didn't impress either. Also.. Wolverine overload in the X-verse ugh.

The OT filmed for 4 weeks and finished, FC have been filming for way over a month and finish in August, take that how you will

Obviously jackman finishes in August also if that counts

The OT filmed for 4 weeks and finished, FC have been filming for way over a month and finish in August, take that how you will

Obviously jackman finishes in August also if that counts

Oh cool I didn't know that the OT only filmed for a month, Even with the Wolverine overload, I understand it since he's the most popular and I do love Jackman in the role so I'm okay with him being essentially put into the FC cast. You've really helped me keep my anticipation high for this now lol thanks.

It means it's in 'the not too distant future' of the flashback we just saw. Any other way is just nonsensical.

The 'not too distant' future of the early 1940's would be the late 40's, the 50's or 60's at the most. It is utterly nonsensical to suggest that the intention of X1's caption, the proof that you asked for, was anything other than to state the events about to unfold are in the not too distant future of our own 'present day'.

Seriously, they'd have just said 50 years later if your interpretation had any merit all.

They don't have it in X2. Does that make 2003 their present day?

Having established it was all not too distant future in X1 (a vague description as I'll elaborate on later) it wasn't needed. The story for X2 picked up in that films present day, rather than after a flashback as both X1 & X3 did.

Does that mean that 'the not too distant future' means '3 years after this date' But wait. Then they have it in X3. Does that mean that X3 takes place in 2009? Does that make it 6 years after X2? Why do Bobby, Kitty, Rogue, Peter, and several other characters from X2 only look a few years older and why are some still even in school at all?

Ok. 'Not too distant future' is a deliberately vague description that can be a no more than a few years or extend to a few decades. It's a commonly employed narrative term used in Sci-Fi so a story set in the future can stand alone and not get dated too quickly. Verhoven's Robocop is an example of using this. Blade Runner is an example of not using it (they gave that film a far too near sighted 2019 setting). This extends to sequels as it allows the narrative more freedom and doesn't tie the future stories down to any dates mentioned previously that might then need explanation down the line (Like the Terminator films, which had to shunt 'Judgement Day' down the timeline with each film after T2).

Bottom line: in theory X1, X2 and X3 can all be said to still be in our near future as they gave no specific year for any of them.

I suspect though that with DOFP the ages of Stewart & Mckellan, and their respective characters, won't give them much more wriggle room for placing anything too much further down the line.

150 min runtime films aren't exactly Fox's style. I can see 133 min tops like usual.

Well if their movie Avatar was longer than 3 hours. I don't think its impossible for DOFP to be longer than 150 minutes.

Completely agree, how does a franchise about the X-Men focus more on Mystique than any other Female X-Men character. Makes no sense. Mystique should have left the franchise after X2. But now Jennifer Lawrence is playing her we're going to get her shoved down our throats ugh! It really gets to me how much these X-Men movies aren't actually about the X-Men. There are no team dynamics explored at all.

Hopefully after DOFP, they give her a rest!

There a lot of cool female X-Men characters that we haven't seen in the movies yet.

Last edited:
It was indicated to me a long time ago that the future is alternate and so is the past into which the traveller(s) arrives.

This would mean that correcting the past likely sets up the events of the original trilogy. I'm not entirely sold on that idea, as the original trilogy does not have a happy ending (at least, not for Xavier, Jean, Scott, Mystique).

I'm not entirely certain what they have in mind but if it really does involve Jean and Scott, then it must be an alternate future. This then means they don't have to explain how Xavier survived the events of X3.

I'm also not sure if this means that X-Men: First Class is an alternate timeline or if just the 1973 past in DoFP is an alternate timeline. It's all very confusing.

Patrick Stewart already confirmed that there will be an explanation for his resurrection.

And I don't think just because Cyke and Jean will be appearing in the movie, its automatically an alternate future/timeline where the things happened in the original trilogy didn't happen. If thats the case then they should have been announced a few months ago as returning characters just like Storm and the rest of the OT cast.

If they are in the movie, I think they will be only appearing in a few scenes or at the end of the movie - the altered future.

As for Famke Jannsen's stunt double, who knows if its just for 1 simple scene. Like Jean rising from something.

Last edited:
Still keeping to the possible idea we will see 2 dark futures in this film, 1 after TLS at the start of film, and the other altered dark future maybe in the middle where cyclops and jean are alive, while wolverine is in the 70s he could be changing things and effecting the future

Singer did say he wanted to look at how time effects destinies

Last edited:
Stunt doubles are cast to perform 'stunts' that actors can't or are not allowed to do themselves. In X3 Halle Berry did most of her own stunts but they hired a stunt double for both her and Hugh during the scene where they walked out of the X-jet and into a very foggy alkali lake. Stunt doubles can be used for action heavy set pieces but they can also be used for the most mundane things as well. There's a possibility a very high one that Famke could be in an action scene, but there is no guarantee. Thus my original post about her stunt double being cast not meaning that Jean will obviously be involved in an action scene.

Yeah, perhaps it's to reduce the amount of time Famke has to be on set (if she is indeed in the movie...here's hoping).

If she is in the movie, I suspect it will be announced next month as part of the publicity for The Wolverine, to increase hype for that film.

What some are forgetting Is Bryan Singer can mislead people.Famke Janssen's now likely Inclusion Is hinting at that.

SInce they apparently aren't doing a superman returns to Last Stand the Idea of future with sentinles being pure alternate timeline Is more logicil one.

1:The future Scenes wth sentinles could all play for first 30-40 minutes of film
depending on how much screen time with CGI the footage from first 4 and a half weeks of filming comes to
2:If Wolverine at end of film returns to future to find It changed odds are that would only be for last few minutes of film
3:If Jean was only at end of film Kinda of unusual for a cameo role requiring a stunt double
4:The entire time travel plot could be called Xavier and Magneto wanting to change destiny
5:Bryan Singer's correcting some things could hint at a back to the future/Fringe situation where some things are changed but Wolverine(and audence) are surprised by this and remember the original version
6:In past some here wanted an alternate future sceniro now that they get a possable hint to that suddenly they don't like It now:doh:

Last week everyone was complaining about Jean Grey being the center of everything, this week it's Mystique? :huh: And I think all the movies (not including Origins) have had a prominent female role.

X1- Rogue
X2- Jean
X3- Storm
FC- Mystique

The only one I would care to see developed more is Kitty. They couldn't have picked a better person to portray her then Ellen Page, and it's sad because we didn't get to see her charm and wit put to good use yet. It's a shame Ratner couldn't see the gem he really had. All Singer needs to do is make her charismatic, unique, and likeable. Her character doesn't even need to be explored really. She could just act like Juno and spout out smart ass remarks and I'd be totally fine with it.

Last week everyone was complaining about Jean Grey being the center of everything, this week it's Mystique? :huh: And I think all the movies (not including Origins) have had a prominent female role.

X1- Rogue
X2- Jean
X3- Storm
FC- Mystique

The only one I would care to see developed more is Kitty. They couldn't have picked a better person to portray her then Ellen Page, and it's sad because we didn't get to see her charm and wit put to good use yet. It's a shame Ratner couldn't see the gem he really had. All Singer needs to do is make her charismatic, unique, and likeable. Her character doesn't even need to be explored really. She could just act like Juno and spout out smart ass remarks and I'd be totally fine with it.

Even though Halle Berry had the female lead role in X3, I think Jean Grey was the most prominent female character in the movie.

And my problem with Shadowcat is her inclusion in X3 was so random. With Colossus, it was expected that he would join the team in the next film because of the good reaction from his appearance in X2. But Shadowcat? She had 2 very short cameos in X1/X2, then in X3, she's suddenly one of the X-Men and she just suddenly had a thing with Bobby. So for that, I'm not really excited about seeing Shadowcat in the future X-Men films.

Last edited:
She definitely didn't need to be in the movie at all. But, since they had her they could have at least given her a character or something to make her interesting. She had one line before Xavier's death and her next scene she's crying at his funeral like we were suppose to care. I guess in Ratner's mind a woman crying instantly makes you feel an emotional connection with them.

I don't why, but I was instantly drawn to her. I think her powers are really cool. Imagine literally walking through people or walls.

She definitely didn't need to be in the movie at all. But, since they had her they could have at least given her a character or something to make her interesting. She had one line before Xavier's death and her next scene she's crying at his funeral like we were suppose to care. I guess in Ratner's mind a woman crying instantly makes you feel an emotional connection with them.

I liked how they introduced Beast in the film. A former X-Men that is working for the government. But Shadowcat... she just wasn't introduced/developed properly, I felt like she was really a random addition to the team. I don't really see how could they improve her in DOFP. At least with Daniel Cudmore, he had a good start as Colossus in X2.

I don't why, but I was instantly drawn to her. I think her powers are really cool. Imagine literally walking through people or walls.

Are you sure that's not because you were already a fan on her character from the comics beforehand?

Last edited:
I thought Kitty was awesome with what little she had. She brought an energy to the team that characters like Rogue and Bobby were lacking.

Has it been confirmed Wolverine is time travelling? Or is this all speculation??

Has it been confirmed Wolverine is time travelling? Or is this all speculation??

It's confirmed he's in both times, not that he's the traveler. But it would probably be a safe bet to assume so.

If were going by photo/report evidence, then I don't think it's been confirmed that Wolverine is in the future. ;)

Are you sure that's not because you were already a fan on her character from the comics beforehand?

Haha, no Its embarrasing but i did the whole thing backwards, started with movies then to cartoons then to comics. I was 13 when Last Stand came out had no clue who this girl was, like psylockolossus said it just felt randomly to have her in the team out of nowhere, but I actually liked her. Then when i started reading the comics and learned more about her and the whole kitty/colossus love and to realize that the movies were way off from the comics, haha. But yes her powers are awesome, hopefully she will be awesome in this movie, like Colossus throwing kitty directly to the sentinels and she can phase through and mess up with the cables and make the sentinels explode from the inside :)

Even though Halle Berry had the female lead role in X3, I think Jean Grey was the most prominent female character in the movie.

This is somewhat of a contradiction (There seems to be a distinct lack of industry terms on this board)...the most prominent female role is almost always the female lead. Storm is actually the second female lead in X3 mostly because her character has no real impact on the story. There are no Storm-centric scenes in X3 which would be quite unusual for a female lead. Also, the female lead is almost always the male lead's love interest. Let's not even get into the fact that Jean gets an "origin" flashback, her own storyline, multiple love interests, multiple musical themes/cues in the soundtrack, and interactions/connections to all the major characters in the film.

If were going by photo/report evidence, then I don't think it's been confirmed that Wolverine is in the future. ;)

Are you saying he wasn't on set with the OT crew? That would be the future scenes, and I believe that it was confirmed more then a few times Jackman was shooting when they were. I think he's literally the only who has been on set since the first weeks of shooting.

Last edited:
I was being facetious but even so, at this point we've only had photographic and video evidence of Wolverine from the 70's.

It's confirmed he's in both times, not that he's the traveler. But it would probably be a safe bet to assume so.

I think that the time traveller (or the time-displaced person heh) will be either Wolverine or Professor X, depending on how they tackle it. If it's some kind of mind displacement I still think it will be Professor X, simply because his powers are just more naturally suited for that sort of thing. And because the story according to Singer is about how things you've done/haven't done as a young man in the past affect the future and what if you could go back and change it, which again to me feels like a more natural fit for Professor X. I know that he can manipulate other people's minds as well, but mindswitch for a character like Wolverine still feels strange to me somehow. But you never know of course.

but even so, at this point we've only had photographic and video evidence of Wolverine from the 70's.
Yeah, but I don't see how not having pictures goes against the other evidence and confirmation though. Jackman was confirmed to be shooting at the same location/time as the OT crew, and the OT was confirmed to be shooting future scenes by their Costume pics. I mean unless they are trying to really **** with people and the story, this confirms Wolverine in the future scenes.

I think that the time traveller (or the time-displaced person heh) will be either Wolverine or Professor X, depending on how they tackle it. If it's some kind of mind displacement I still think it will be Professor X, simply because his powers are just more naturally suited for that sort of thing. And because the story according to Singer is about how things you've done/haven't done as a young man in the past affect the future and what if you could go back and change it, which again to me feels like a more natural fit for Professor X. I know that he can manipulate other people's minds as well, but mindswitch for a character like Wolverine still feels strange to me somehow. But you never know of course.

Yeah, it's gotta be one of those two. Tough call on how they go about it. I agree if it's a mind thing it makes more sense with Prof X.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"