DC announces their new books and creators!

So some writer does some stupid **** and it's "something wrong with...the marketplace"? :huh:

Well, if Superman can breathe in Space, wouldn't it make sense that he can breathe underwater?

I am confused.

What is there to be confused about?

Jeff Lemire pitched an arc before later deciding he's not writing the book anymore so the story got canned. The artist Travel Foreman just shared the art cause he had worked on it and is apparently attached to JLU starting in June. The book still has no writer.

I was confused about why it was posted if it was a) older and b) part of a team that is no longer working on the book. But it being previously unreleased, okay, I understand. Before knowing that, it looked just like random art that was posted.

Well, if Superman can breathe in Space, wouldn't it make sense that he can breathe underwater?

He can't breathe in space. He can survive in space for superhuman periods because he can compress a great deal of oxygen in his lungs (obviously before entering the vacuum). Basically, he's a walking scuba tank. Obviously the same logic applies for Superman surviving underwater.

Bottom line; he can hold his breath for a long time, but not indefinitely.

Cullen Bunn on Aquaman has me super excited. His Magneto is one of my favorite books right now, and Aquaman has been great since it's New 52 debut. Glad to see it in good hands. Travis McCarthy is a good fit for art as well.

We Are Robin sounds interesting. And I agree with his statement that it'd make no sense for the team in a large, NYC-inspired locale like Gotham to consist of nothing but white kids.

That's why shows like FRIENDS never made sense to me as a kid.

Friends was great.

Bizarro will be a "buddy road trip with Jimmy Olsen":
http://www.newsarama.com/24411-animation-writer-brings-fun-new-bizarro-to-dc-in-june.html

gTMpNPZ.jpg

And here's Week 1 of the 8-page previews for June's books:
http://www.newsarama.com/24416-dc-j...-1-detective-green-lantern-starfire-more.html

Last edited:
The suit of Flash actually got me worried. I feel less and less connected to what happens in the DC universe.

*sighs*

This is what happens when floppies don't put up the sales numbers that they should.

*sighs*

This is what happens when floppies don't put up the sales numbers that they should.

That's DC's own fault. They don't sell well. The last time they were #1 was in 2011 with the New 52 with Justice League #1 which sold well over 200k, since then they've had their ass handed to them by both MARVEL & IDW. As the New 52 began to continue into 2012 the JL continued with decent numbers of well over 100k, but nothing else was ding huge sales. Then MARVEL stepped in with AvX and Marvel NOW which has proven to be a better remodeling job than the New 52. Within 2012 everything of theirs started selling 10 - 20k less at least.

The New 52 was good to start sales wise, as things like GL, Detective Comics and Action Comics were in the top 10 for 2011, but it could be argued these were collector's items as new #1's. Because later on, those titles never really appeared in the top 10 since.

DC's biggest seller is Batman (big surprise) who has done great numbers since the New 52, but of course New 52 barely changed Batman all that much. His comic has been a number 1 monthly seller 8 times since the New 52, and 5 of those times were last year.

Now DC has had a few other times like Justice League of America #1 (again, probably a collector's thing)Forever Evil #1 and Superman Unchained, which makes sense how do you pass up what is the one of the best current Batman writers - Snyder paired up with Jim Lee's art and Superman? Plus, all the main Convergence titles have been selling well over 100k per issue, not bad and no surprise they were able to pull back in the old readers. This is an event that people really care about and not a quick, effortless and down right unsuccessful grab like Zero Year or holographic cover single issues of Future's End, Zero Year and Forever Evil and what nots.

I think DC's most consistent selling series so far are Batman, Justice League and honestly Harley Quinn. Those Harley has never made it number one her numbers are consistent in about the 70-90k range. But I find it very sad when iconic characters like Superman & Wonder Woman don't sell for ****. I think part of DC's problem is a lack of faith in their own product. They know and we all know Batman & JL can sell. Hire any monkey and Batman will sell... for the most part. They don't even have to try, though I want them to since Batman is my favorite. I see no effort on their part to say hey Batwoman, she's a diverse character lets push her more and promote her, nope cause now she's canceled.

But Convergence is ending, they got good numbers hence why these ads now, they probably no their short term stimulus (much like the New 52 launch) is over and need some money from somewhere, since I hear no hype for Darkseid War (prove me wrong, please) and who knows maybe their new direction they're taking in June with the end of the New 52 brand will deliver decent numbers but that PLUS the ads, well hard to say now.

I see no effort on their part to say hey Batwoman, she's a diverse character lets push her more and promote her, nope cause now she's canceled.

Why do you have to bring this up and make me sad again that they ran that book into the ground and cancelled it? :waa: :oldrazz:

Why do you have to bring this up and make me sad again that they ran that book into the ground and cancelled it? :waa: :oldrazz:

My apologies for I'm in the same boat, but this is a problem of DC's unlike Marvel who has Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel that they love to push where DC is unaware they have more than one character cough:batman:cough.
It's getting to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled or killed Superman or Wonder Woman.

Well, Marvel has most of their books, if not all, at 4 bucks. Plus, they have friggin Star Wars so it's pretty much why they easily have the top spot when it comes to the dollar share. Also, they've been doing more #1's lately than DC and they'll do it again with their relaunch in eight months after Secret Wars.

As for Batwoman, yeah I love her and am quite sad how they treated her title and the first creative team. Though, I'd rather have her book canceled than still be horrible months after months with Andreyko on it. I like the guy and what he did with Manhunter but his run on Batwoman was just meh... As for promoting her, I agree they should have done better. Thing is, how? Batwoman being gay, how could DC push her more in the spotlight without being too exploitative and looking for "PR buzz?" I don't remember any hype from DC when that issue where Kate proposed to Maggie. Was that a bad thing? Maybe DC didn't want to make a big deal out of it. As for comparison, Marvel announced their female Thor on The View. They also almost announced their all-female Avengers book on that very same talk show but Mashable got the exclusivity in the end. Lately, I've seen DC only doing their PR stuff on either their official website or on comic book communities like CBR.

Midnighter is getting his own title this June and yet DC did no extravagant PR hype on LGBT websites. Missed opportunity? You tell me. Finally, DC seriously needs to bring back Greg Rucka and let him write BW again. His Question Convergence tie-in was fantastic. I hope that rumour of Batwoman leading the Birds of Prey in a relaunch title is true.

She's going to be in that Bombshells book at least. Just wish we could get the main book back and with quality writers. Also, they really should beg Williams III and the rest of the team back and let them write what they wanted to do that DC interfered with as an out-of-canon graphic novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"