DC's Illuminati

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
If DC had a team like Marvel's where some of the biggest heroes from different groups were to gather into one, who should it consist of?

Batman
Martian Manhunter
Jason Blood
The Atom
Aquaman
Nnamdi
Wonder Woman

The Question said:
Batman
Martian Manhunter
Jason Blood
The Atom
Aquaman
Nnamdi
Wonder Woman

Nice list, here's mine.

Batman (JLA, funding)
Aquaman (Atlantis)
Hawkman (Thanagar)
Mr. Terrific (JSA, Checkmate)
The Atom (Brains)
Martian Manhunter (Able to connect to everyone)
Dr. Fate or Jason Blood (Magic and sorcery department)
Oracle (Information broker)

DC wouldn't have a team like that because DC doesn't have this strange drive to make many of their once-noble characters into duplicitous jerks.

TheCorpulent1 said:
DC wouldn't have a team like that because DC doesn't have this strange drive to make many of their once-noble characters into duplicitous jerks.

bingo! thats why the whole civil war concept is just stupid to me.

Both Question's and Batman's teams are great, they include alot of the heavy hitters in the DCU, here's mine.

Mr. Terrific
Martian Manhunter
Adam Strange
Dr. Fate
Aquaman
Black Adam
Hal Jordan
Captain Comet

And of course, Dr. Mid-Nite as the teams expert surgeon. :)

TheCorpulent1 said:

Well, Namor, Black Bolt, and occasionally Xaivier have been known to be jerks in the past.

The Question said:
Well, Namor, Black Bolt, and occasionally Xaivier have been known to be jerks in the past.

how the hell is black bolt even in the group anyways? they haven't explained why he's there have they? what possible reason can he have to be in that group?

GoldenAgeHero said:
how the hell is black bolt even in the group anyways? they haven't explained why he's there have they? what possible reason can he have to be in that group?

Cause he represents for the Inhumans?

-Doc

The Question said:
Tony, Namor, and, after the Mystique series, Xavier I could understand. When has Black Bolt ever been a jerk, though? When has Strange ever deigned to coordinate with others? If he needs you, he'll summon you and mystically bind your ass to him so you'll get projectile diarrhea if you don't do what he wants. When has Reed ever done anything like what the Illuminati have him doing these days? When's the last time he kept a major secret from the rest of the FF (not counting "Authoritative Action" since that had very specific circumstances that the Illuminati's existence does not). It never bodes well for a group when you have to mischaracterize about half of them to get them to the table.

Black Bolt has always struck me as very set in his ways in terms of tradition and protecting Atillan. This has led to some jerk-like tendancies. With Reed, it seems that he came into the group with the best intentions, and things have simply slowly spyraled into a very dark place.

If anyone would be DC's Illuminati, it would be:
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Martain Manhunter
Green Lantern
Aquaman

Yes, DC's Illuminati is the big 7.

identity_crisis2.jpg

TheCorpulent1 said:

Like I said in the beginning of this thread, if. I know it's likely to happen, I was just curious as to who people think should join the team if ever one was formed.

TheCorpulent1 said:

Nonsense.

They've done it with batman REPEATEDLY.

leslie tomkins also.

The whole identity crisis thing really 'dirtied' some characters.

And superboy prime is hardly as nice as he once was.

gildea said:
Nonsense.

leslie tomkins also.

but theres a difference. what marvel has is dumb story telling. which barely makes sense. identity crisis was executed alot better and the explanation was actually sound. the illumnati is doing was actually out selfishness and dilusio and really out of character.

gildea said:
Nonsense.

leslie tomkins also.

I agree about Leslie, and SuperboyPrime and whatnot are from different dimensions, so whatever...

but Identity Crisis was very sound. The thing about that was everyone has a different personality and had their own reasons for doing what they did. They weren't out of character...

GoldenAgeHero said:
but theres a difference. what marvel has is dumb story telling. which barely makes sense. identity crisis was executed alot better and the explanation was actually sound. the illumnati is doing was actually out selfishness and dilusio and really out of character.

in your opinion.

Why does it barely make sense? All the illuminati was was an exchange of information, are you arguing heroes talking to each other is nonsensical?

I really don't think that a lot of batmans behaviour in war games (and in some other arcs) counts as "making sense".

I don't think anyone in their right mind can justify what was done with leslie.

and janette loring KILLING her friend to get back together with her husband? (oh yeah she wasn't trying to kill her just attack her..) (i should point out i enjoyed id.c)

DC has dirtied up their characters just as much and arguably more so if you want to catalogue batmans list of insanity (given that he is a much bigger name than anyone in the illuminati)

Of course it's all opinion.

batnkevlar said:
but Identity Crisis was very sound. The thing about that was everyone has a different personality and had their own reasons for doing what they did. They weren't out of character...

I'm not claiming to know much about janette loring but where was she first shown as clinically insane other than id.c

And doctor light was retaconned into a rapist.

I should point out that I'm not actually saying this is bad writing at all only that DC is willing to dirty up it's characters.

and i didn't see anyone act out of character in illuminati either

the only "out of character" thing you've mentioned is Leslie Thompkins... and as far as I know, no DC fans are happy that they did that with the character.

besides that, there's certainly nothing on the level of Reed Richards in the Illuminati.

gildea said:
And doctor light was retaconned into a rapist.

what they retconned was an explanation for why Doctor Light went from serious threat in the DCU to a goofy Teen Titans villain that was easily beat by these kids everytime.

gildea said:
Why does it barely make sense? All the illuminati was was an exchange of information, are you arguing heroes talking to each other is nonsensical?
No the goals of an Illuminati organization is to secretly control the aspects of certain functions of life

I really don't think that a lot of batmans behaviour in war games (and in some other arcs) counts as "making sense".
Batman's mindwipe is a big explaination for Batman's behavior as a paranoid *****ebag

I don't think anyone in their right mind can justify what was done with leslie.
True, but at least it was written well.

and janette loring KILLING her friend to get back together with her husband? (oh yeah she wasn't trying to kill her just attack her..) (i should point out i enjoyed id.c)
It's Jean Lorring and she's had a history of mental problems. Thus thinking up with that idea is understandable.

DC has dirtied up their characters just as much and arguably more so if you want to catalogue batmans list of insanity (given that he is a much bigger name than anyone in the illuminati)
But DC has dirtied up thier characters with good storytelling. They did so to protect their loved ones, not themselves and what they stand for.

superboy prime was always a mad killer was he?

batman's been written as an insane d**k for a while now something DC have even admitted too.

and the janette loring thing is a far bigger character shift than reed richards trying to give the hulk somethig he's always wanted (to be left alone).

Lackey said:
what they retconned was an explanation for why Doctor Light went from serious threat in the DCU to a goofy Teen Titans villain that was easily beat by these kids everytime.

Exactly, DC is taking the time with their villains by either making the lame ones cool (like Dr. Light and Catman) or killing them off (like the KGBeast and the Ventriloquist). It totally kicks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"