Deadpool vs. Doctor Strange

Don't get me wrong, but Deadpool is very overrated. Good film, but no where near as good as it was proclaimed by most.

Doc Strange wins this easy for me.

Deadpool's biggest problem for me was the non-existant replay value,whereas I loved Strange even more the second time I saw it.

I liked Deadpool but Doctor Strange is one of the best movies of the year IMO. I can't see how a sequel can top it. The more I think about it the more I love the movie.

I think Deadpool is a good one-off. You watch it once or twice and it's funny, but I think Doctor Strange is a far superior film. I also think it will stand the test of time.

The problem with Deadpool is that it makes a lot of contemporary jokes that will likely become irrelevant in another 10-15 years.

Deadpool. Really liked them both, but Deadpool wins my vote for being less MCU formulaic. I also can't forgive how badly they wasted a great actor like Mads Mikkelsen for a generic, paper thin baddie like that.

Deadpool was a well done central character existing within a fairly simple story. Dr. Strange himself wasn't any better than Deadpool, but the story in which he existed was far more innovative.

Not even close, although I admit a bias for Strange as I read Dr Strange occasionally, when I was a kid.

Deadpool is action packed and hilarious, but really the only role Ryan Reynolds can pull off without being laughed off the screen. The fourth wall thing is amusing at first, but gets a bit old after a while.

The supporting cast were fun, but kind of stock.

I thought that Colossus was great, as was TNW - and of course I'll see almost any movie with Gina Carano in it.

But,they're both origin stories, and in that regard.....

....Dr Strange is the total package, a brilliant performance by the lead. The story is the classic hero's journey but done par excellence.

Visuals are literally out of this world, and there's humour, but it doesn't overshadow the rest of the film.

The supporting cast, particularly Swinton, is superb. (Overall, Strange has a much, much stronger cast).

Both films have slightly underwhelming villains, although Strange has a much, much, much more impressive final boss !

While I'd give Deadpool an 7/10, it was a good movie and entertaining but I kind of forgot about it afterwards - Dr Strange, I wanted to see it again right away definitely a 9/10 or better.

Add me to the good Doctor's camp as well :)

I'm mainly a Marvel fan so i can afford to be unbiased to this one since i like both movies and i like both characters.

Deadpool is a gag. A perfectly executed, entertaining, kinetic gag. But still a gag. It's barely a movie. Every character except Deadpool is a walking sterotyppe. From the Indian driver to the moppy teenager to the villain with the personal grudge to the hero to the silent James-bond style henchman. It's still a riot and a blast but it is supported by it's zaniness and whackiness and not it's filmmaking.

So Strange for me.

I prefer Deadpool. It's better paced, most of the humor lands (unlike Doctor Strange) and it utilizes it's cast better. You can complain about Ajax being generic, but at least he has a good amount of screen time and the movie does a good job of making you hate him.

The villain in Dr. Strange just doesn't have enough screen time, and his motivation felt very flimsy. The movie also underutilizes McAdam's and Wong.

Personally, I think it would be better to do this poll a few months later once the hype dies down. Right now Dr. Strange is fresh in everyone's mind, so more people will be thinking about it right now. I feel with a few MCU movies, they tend to get a lot of hype and praise upon release, but a year later or even a few months the hype dies down a bit.

Then again, you could accuse the same thing of Deadpool as well.

Would have to go with Deadpool. Loved the visuals and such in Strange, though it's another Marvel villain of the week as well, but the performances in Deadpool were more memorable to me, more so since, maybe besides Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim, we haven't had an off-the-wall comic book based film like that in recent years from either Marvel or DC. Deadpool breaks that mold.

Deadpool for these same reasons. The movie also had a ton of heart. And for me has a lot of replay value.

Deadpool's biggest problem for me was the non-existant replay value,whereas I loved Strange even more the second time I saw it.

Deadpool works for multiple viewings for me, but the small scale of the movie (production-wise) became far more apparent on the second viewing compared to the first. Strange held up better so it wins that aspect for me too.

Doctor Strange, it was just fantastic and I enjoyed it more than Deadpool.

I will say this... Deadpool is a really good date movie. :word: :sly:

I went with Doctor Strange. While I loved Deadpool, the breaking the 4th wall shtick started to wear on me eventually.

Even though I'm not a massive fan of the character, I really liked Deadpool. Dr Strange for me was okay but nothing major, a-typical Marvel output. Deadpool for me out of the two.

Last edited:
Loved both so much but gotta go with Doctor Strange because of the visuals and because I've always loved mysticism. DS only amplified that.

I preface this by saying that I have always enjoyed Dr. Strange and have always, ALWAYS hated Deadpool.

But Strange's film fell flat for me. It's all fairly well done mind you but it's flavorless and rushed to my mind and while the cast is game the film doesn't do much with them or explore what I think it should have. As stated... It all felt very flat to me. In a way it's mere serviceable nature makes it a bigger disappointment to me that if it had been a hot mess. It's not a bad film but it's ultimately quite forgettable.

Deadpool was just crackerjack entertainment running on all cyliders. It was quite different than any other CBM we've had and it's re-watch value is high in my eyes. It more than accomplishes the emotional connection in terms of characters and especially the central relationship, which it does through both plot, dialogue and the actors performances. The action and humor are on point. In short, a satisfying experience all around.

For me it's Deadpool by quite a bit. Which is shocking to myself because generally speaking I find everything about Deadpool insufferable.

I liked both. dp was fun, but strange had a more impactful story so my vote is for strange

Deadpool by a mile

I like Doctor Strange for the most part but it was just more of the same from Marvel/Disney

Deadpool by quite a margin.

Reynolds' Deadpool was a magnetic force of nature. An instant icon. Whereas Cumberbatch's Strange simply wasn't as charismatic or memorable.

Plus Deadpool's relationship with the supporting cast was superior. The romance was actually believable and had some real heart. I'd go as far as saying it's the most effective romance in any comic book film. Ever. The back and fourth between Wade and Blind Al and Weasel was fantastic. Even though Ajax was a thinly written villain the hatred between him and Wade was palpable and believable. Plus the "what's my name" running gag and the pay off at the end was a great touch.

Dr Strange's character interactions and attempts at humour just fell completely flat with me. The Ancient One and Mordo were well preformed, of course, but I didn't really connect with them or feel for their plight.

In terms of visuals and set pieces? Well that is the only place Strange wins. They were unreal and very creative. The finale where Strange is reversing time was amazing. As was his confrontation with Dormammu. Although I wasn't fond of his design.

Deadpool was obviously more grounded. But the opening highway chase was expertly designed and shot. Very creative. And the scene where he's trying to fight Colossus is genuinely laugh out loud hysterical. I saw it 3 times in the cinema and every time the audience was in fits of laughter.

Overall Strange is visually superior. And it's great to see him in the MCU finally. But Deadpool NAILS the most important facet of these films... the characters. Deadpool is a bona-fide icon now. And whilst it is the whacky, zany spin on the genre... it is also one of the best in terms of emotion and believable, human characters.

Deadpool by quite a margin.

Reynolds' Deadpool was a magnetic force of nature. An instant icon. Whereas Cumberbatch's Strange simply wasn't as charismatic or memorable.

Plus Deadpool's relationship with the supporting cast was superior. The romance was actually believable and had some real heart. I'd go as far as saying it's the most effective romance in any comic book film. Ever. The back and fourth between Wade and Blind Al and Weasel was fantastic. Even though Ajax was a thinly written villain the hatred between him and Wade was palpable and believable. Plus the "what's my name" running gag and the pay off at the end was a great touch.

Dr Strange's character interactions and attempts at humour just fell completely flat with me. The Ancient One and Mordo were well preformed, of course, but I didn't really connect with them or feel for their plight.

In terms of visuals and set pieces? Well that is the only place Strange wins. They were unreal and very creative. The finale where Strange is reversing time was amazing. As was his confrontation with Dormammu. Although I wasn't fond of his design.

Deadpool was obviously more grounded. But the opening highway chase was expertly designed and shot. Very creative. And the scene where he's trying to fight Colossus is genuinely laugh out loud hysterical. I saw it 3 times in the cinema and every time the audience was in fits of laughter.

Overall Strange is visually superior. And it's great to see him in the MCU finally. But Deadpool NAILS the most important facet of these films... the characters. Deadpool is a bona-fide icon now. And whilst it is the whacky, zany spin on the genre... it is also one of the best in terms of emotion and believable, human characters.

I liked Doc Strange more than you but I couldn't disagree more about Deadpool. I think this poll being done just after Strange came out meant it was always going win. I think Deadpool has great replay value so I would like to see how people feel about them both in a years time as opposed to just after one of the, came out.

Even next year I'd say that Strange would win over Deadpool.

Even next year I'd say that Strange would win over Deadpool.

Not sure about that myself, but we will never know. I doubt any of us will remember to do a poll in a years time.

I think Deadpool as a character is more in the publics conscious than Strange though. And you could say that us a success of the movie. Even my nephews who haven't seen Deadpool because they are too young to know who he is after the movie came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"