Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all fairness though, I don't really think it was TS or Watchmen's fault that there wasn't a sequel to Superman in the works, I think it was cause the first one kinda sucked...a lot.

:facepalm

Do you people really think this changes in anyway WB's viewpoint on Superman Returns? Really?

I think the question is whether it will change WB's priorities in regard to Superman. If TS turns out to be a flop, will WB decide to get moving on a Superman film instead? I mean TS was suppose be the re-start of a huge franchise for them.

I think the question is whether it will change WB's priorities in regard to Superman. If TS turns out to be a flop, will WB decide to get moving on a Superman film instead? I mean TS was suppose be the re-start of a huge franchise for them.

It's just this question is asked for almost every summer film that comes out. People asked the same thing when The Incredible Hulk came out, when Speed Racer flopped, when Star Trek reboot did well, and I honestly don't think it has any bearing. The only movie I can see having some bearing in their attitude towards the franchise might be The Dark Knight.

Also with Terminator if T5/T6 happens we dont even know if wb will have the US release rights for the properity any more There is the reports out there they could be losing them to MGM or even another company all together. And i would wait to after this next week and see how terminator fairs here in the US and how much of a drop off it is and its world wide release.

It's just this question is asked for almost every summer film that comes out. People asked the same thing when The Incredible Hulk came out, when Speed Racer flopped, when Star Trek reboot did well, and I honestly don't think it has any bearing. The only movie I can see having some bearing in their attitude towards the franchise might be The Dark Knight.

But if TS does show really poor legs, then the 2011 spot for what was suppose to be for the next Terminator could suddenly be free. There's no telling if it would give Superman an opening, it could very well be filled by some other project, but it is interesting to speculate.

Heck Jamie has said/speculated in the past that the next Superman film could possibly be in summer 2011. Maybe now there is a possible spot

And i would wait to after this next week and see how terminator fairs here in the US and how much of a drop off it is and its world wide release.

Granted we already know you have no idea what you're talking about. That said, T4 opened not only below projections but also less than T3 did six years ago. Add to that the mixed-to-negative word of mouth and the drop-off next weekend will be 60%+ and that's being conservative.

This franchise is over.

granted we already know you have no idea what you're talking about. That said, t4 opened not only below projections but also less than t3 did six years ago. Add to that the mixed-to-negative word of mouth and the drop-off next weekend will be 60%+ and that's being conservative.

This franchise is over.

qft

Granted we already know you have no idea what you're talking about. That said, T4 opened not only below projections but also less than T3 did six years ago. Add to that the mixed-to-negative word of mouth and the drop-off next weekend will be 60%+ and that's being conservative.

This franchise is over.
Better (two movies too) late than never.

In all fairness though, I don't really think it was TS or Watchmen's fault that there wasn't a sequel to Superman in the works, I think it was cause the first one kinda sucked...a lot.

Your opinion friend, nothing more. It made more than BB, both Hulk movies, FF1 AND 2, Daredevil, first X-men movie, possibly Wolverine and others.

This franchise is over.

LOL. The Welling fanboy just got owned.

Your opinion friend, nothing more. It made more than BB, both Hulk movies, FF1 AND 2, Daredevil, first X-men movie, possibly Wolverine and others.

So something else had to be the problem than just the money, no?

Not that we should be discussing SR's B.O. in this forum section anyway, mind you....lest a mod close this thread as well. :O

Me saying it sucked doesn't mean you have to mention movies that it grossed more than. Especially since those movies cost a lot less to make

It grossed more then a lot of movies, that doesn't make it a hit when it cost as much as it did.

Me saying it sucked doesn't mean you have to mention movies that it grossed more than. Especially since those movies cost a lot less to make

It grossed more then a lot of movies, that doesn't make it a hit when it cost as much as it did.

Even with the 200 million budget it made way more domestic and outside of the U.S. (except for BB).

So something else had to be the problem than just the money, no?

Not that we should be discussing SR's B.O. in this forum section anyway, mind you....lest a mod close this thread as well. :O

Exactly!

Let's try to keep it related to the next Superman film. I hope TS poor performance leads to WB giving more effort to Superman, since it appears one of their 2011 tentpoles is now a bust

Even with the 200 million budget it made way more domestic and outside of the U.S. (except for BB).

Again, we aren't talking about those movies because they cost less to make. Second, it was a flop domestically with how much the movie cost and how much was spent on marketing, and I know a lot of people hate to hear this but movie studios love the money they get from overseas but very rarely will they make a sequel to a movie that isn't considered a hit domestically. That's a fact.

I remember this song. I think the third verse is "Showtime shakes his head, sighs in frustration contemplating how many of these he's had to do and how many more he'll have to do later, and presses the worn down 'Close Thread' button".

Last edited:
Exactly!

Let's try to keep it related to the next Superman film. I hope TS poor performance leads to WB giving more effort to Superman, since it appears one of their 2011 tentpoles is now a bust

Agreed. My bad.

I remember this song. I think the third verse is "Showtime shakes his head and sighs, and presses the worn down 'Close Thread' button".

Its hard not to mention SR, because the fan base is so divided. It's not like if everyone loved/hated the film. This is the first time I've seen a movie doing that.

Exactly!

Let's try to keep it related to the next Superman film.
Which is kinda' hard to do without acknowledging what brought about the fact that there won't be one for a while. :O

I hope TS poor performance leads to WB giving more effort to Superman, since it appears one of their 2011 tentpoles is now a bust
I hope that the next Superman movie is motivated by positive reinforcement, and not cold comfort taken in other movies not doing well. I'd like to think that they look to movies like BB/TDK, Iron Man, Transformers, Spidey 1&2, and Star Trek as something to aspire to, rather than looking at movies like Daredevil and Fanstastic Four and saying "At least we did better than them".

Its hard not to mention SR, because the fan base is so divided. It's not like if everyone loved/hated the film. This is the first time I've seen a movie doing that.

But this happens EVERY SINGLE THREAD! When Wiseman said how much SR sucked, I suddenly became Casandra of Troy. First, comes the statement, "SR sucks", then comes "SR was great, critics liked it, it made more money that Batman Begins" then "Batman Begins had a smaller budget, SR was 270million" then "It wasn't 270, 70 of it was spent on previous versions, and the marketing sucked" and it keeps going and going and going like a coked up Energizer bunny.

Lots of movies do that. The Star Wars prequels weren't exactly universally loved by all Star Wars fans. But then, it didn't suffer the kind of pride-bruising embarrassment of not continuing on while others did....which kinda' has a way of exacerbating things. It's a rather common sociological pattern. :O

But this happens EVERY SINGLE THREAD! When Wiseman said how much SR sucked, I suddenly became Casandra of Troy. First, comes the statement, "SR sucks", then comes "SR was great, critics liked it, it made more money that Batman Begins" then "Batman Begins had a smaller budget, SR was 270million" then "It wasn't 270, 70 of it was spent on previous versions" and it keeps going and going and going like a coked up Energizer bunny.

Unfortunately, this will never end until we get news of the next movie and what the hell is going on. No matter how many threads ger closed. This will go on and on. And I accept I have started a lot of fights in here. I'll try my best not to happen again.

Which is kinda' hard to do without acknowledging what brought about the fact that there won't be one for a while. :O

I hope that the next Superman movie is motivated by positive reinforcement, and not cold comfort taken in other movies not doing well. I'd like to think that they look to movies like BB/TDK, Iron Man, Transformers, Spidey 1&2, and Star Trek as something to aspire to, rather than looking at movies like Daredevil and Fanstastic Four and saying "At least we did better than them".

I'm a bit more on the optimistic side, depite the recent lack of news, when it comes to Superman on film. :yay:

But I too hope WB aspires to make a great Superman film. At the same time, I hope they realize that they have a nice opening for Superman in place of Terminator for 2011. I'm of the opinion that a Superman film with a decent story, lots of action, and a super-villian will make huge bank, whether its a sequel, reboot, routhboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"