DC Could Learn Lessons From Marvel's Movie Strategy

It is but the live action divisions should be doing much more then they are. They can't use technology as an excuse anymore.

They can afford to but it shouldn't still be their only option. The fear and contempt of the DCU from WB needs to end. They're just cutting themselves off from a huge resource.

With the current financial crisis even Weiner Bros. has to re-evaluate their superhero flicks at this stage. Even shipping the CGI work to Asia isn't enough to cut down on costs now. The technology is fine but the funding isn't anymore.

And recently a stuntman for the last Harry Potter film got injured. One of Dark Knight's stuntmen died off set but that's still bad publicity. These kinds of set backs aren't good for those who want to push the envelope.

I don't know what Weiner Bros' problems are with the DC franchise. But obviously it's not a treasure trove to them.

With the current financial crisis even Weiner Bros. has to re-evaluate their superhero flicks at this stage. Even shipping the CGI work to Asia isn't enough to cut down on costs now. The technology is fine but the funding isn't anymore.

Okay.

And recently a stuntman for the last Harry Potter film got injured. One of Dark Knight's stuntmen died off set but that's still bad publicity.

Bad publicity, deaths and accidents can happen to genre, though.

These kinds of set backs aren't good for those who want to push the envelope.

True.

I don't know what Weiner Bros' problems are with the DC franchise. But obviously it's not a treasure trove to them.
It never be a treasure trove if they keep this activity up.

WB owns the licenses. They can shelve or use it however they desire.

They sure can marvel is killing them in everything but I have a question for everybody on this board who would win the fight between superman and silversurfer some may disagree but silver will mop up the galaxy wit the boy in blue don't get me wrong he's no push over but silver has to much power for him if any body want get at me to talk [email protected]

Oh yeah...ROTK swept...and didnt even remotely deserve it.

I actually think that American Splendors most deserving award would have been best male lead
American Splendor was mighty interesting, but come on, ROTK deserved everything it got-- and more, given that it was virtually ignored in the acting categories (ironic with such a high caliber cast). and ROTK's win was a win not just for itself but for every well-loved genre film that came before it and followed it-- that includes comic book movies. do you think TDK would've had a prayer had ROTK not break the glass ceiling in 2004 with the Oscar sweep? or had Star Wars not blaze the trail with Oscar noms back in 1978?

jmc 06-12-2008 said:
REDophile 06-12-2008 said:
By the time TDK hits theaters in July, we better hear more from WB about Flash, Shazam or GL.

I wouldn't hold my breathe.
prophetic words. but i think the one irony we didnt see was that TDK being the 2nd highest grossing movie domestically caused WB to put every DC property on pause instead of fast tracking it.

They sure can marvel is killing them in everything but I have a question for everybody on this board who would win the fight between superman and silversurfer some may disagree but silver will mop up the galaxy wit the boy in blue don't get me wrong he's no push over but silver has to much power for him if any body want get at me to talk [email protected]
Are you serious? Just make a thread if you REALLY want to know what people think of that question..

prophetic words. but i think the one irony we didnt see was that TDK being the 2nd highest grossing movie domestically caused WB to put every DC property on pause instead of fast tracking it.

There's no evidence that "every DC property" is on pause. Evidence to the contrary in fact. The only DC properties that seem to be on pause are Goyer's.

There's no evidence that "every DC property" is on pause. Evidence to the contrary in fact. The only DC properties that seem to be on pause are Goyer's.

Yes, but WB better not have us wait much longer to announce the cast of GL and start filming....

I think its not so much as there on pause but rather leaks and information of them are on pause. With TDK's success it means there actively looking for good stories as opposed to before where they might have been waiting for one to land on there laps. That's what I would like to believe anyways and frankly if they weren't, for a business I would fire each one of them.

American Splendor was mighty interesting, but come on, ROTK deserved everything it got-- and more, given that it was virtually ignored in the acting categories (ironic with such a high caliber cast). and ROTK's win was a win not just for itself but for every well-loved genre film that came before it and followed it-- that includes comic book movies. do you think TDK would've had a prayer had ROTK not break the glass ceiling in 2004 with the Oscar sweep? or had Star Wars not blaze the trail with Oscar noms back in 1978?

If Disney's Beauty and the Beast and Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon didn't make it the Oscars "Best Picture" TDK would never have been considered for anything.

If Disney's Beauty and the Beast and Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon didn't make it the Oscars "Best Picture" TDK would never have been considered for anything.
Agreed.

Personally, I think it was only Ledger's death that forced them into giving him a supporting role nominee. I still doubt he'll win, though the death may give him enough pity votes for that. Had Ledger lived I'm sure he wouldn't have got that nomination, despite how great his performance was.

I hope that WB comes to realize that if they want more viable DC superhero movie properties, the best thing for them to do is to actually make those movies.

yea i know i totally hate them just sitting around and not making any forward movement on a variety of characters who could be great films. Heck if they are worried about some like martian manhunter, or some of the lesser known guys just give them an animated movie for now and if they are liked take a serious effort to make a live action film. I said this before this is one thing i like about marvel's movies they have the guts to atless risk doing a film on a variety of characters yes they have made a few crummy films but they have also made some pretty great films too.

If you go back 30 years ago, DC/WB was experiencing success with their properties on the big screen while Marvel couldn't get a project on film. This is yin and yang and the worm will turn back to the WB side in time.

Those guys are having problems selling comic books. Why would you want them to make movies? DC's purpose in all of this is as the idea people. They come up with the story lines and source material and the WB makes the films.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2223671/Heath-Ledger's-role-in-new-Batman-movie-The-Dark-Knight-tipped-for-Oscar-glory.html

Looks like Marvel could learn a thing or two from the WB. Rumor has it that TDK may have an Oscar written on it.

The people you named are in charge of Marvel Studios. They are movie guys first (Avi Arad is actually a business man who used to run a toy company before he came to Marvel Entertainment), not comic book people. Stan Lee is just a figurehead for marvel nowadays. There are actually no comic book people running Marvel Studios. I don't think you are going to be realistically successful in the movie business with comic book or graphic novel people running your studios. It makes more sense to have people with a background in the business doing that.

Even Legendary Pictures is not that stupid to put all their eggs into one basket. Note that they have only been in business for 3 years now and have only co-produced and co-financed about 21 pictures to date (only 9 have been released so far). Out of the 21 pictures, only 5 are comicbook based films (thats less than 25%). They don't necessarily make blockbuster films, but associate themselves with projects that are through their financing arm. They also admit on their website that they benifit from "the the scale of Warner Bros. production capacity as well its extensive marketing and global distribution infrastructure." It's not all Legendary, but the WB behind production of all these hits. Like I said before, DC is right where they want to be, because they are under a company whose business is making movies.

:pal: Lol well my friend I think the WB has learnt from Marvel.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia50cdcb373435f1b7a1569d16f760546
WB mulls redraw of DC Comics plan
Big shake-up could be in the works

By Borys Kit
July 11, 2008, 12:00 AM ET

A big shake-up could be in the works at Warner Bros. for its DC Comics film properties.

In the course of the past couple of weeks, Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov and Warner Bros. Pictures president Kevin McCormick have been meeting with DC Comics executives as well some of DC's top talents, like Jim Lee, to discuss a new direction for film adaptations.

Up until now, the comic properties had been undergoing a hodge-podge development process. With the recent success of Marvel Studios' "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" and that company's plan to develop its many characters linked strategically together, Warners has been forced to take a close second look at its sister company.

With "The Dark Knight" near its release date, a new agenda is being set, one that not only sees the DC characters emerge with a higher priority but also one that would see them developed with an overarching goal in mind.

Although plans are in motion, any firm deals or announcements are weeks away.

Warners declined comment on the discussions, only stating: "While we are not going to go into the specifics of the meetings, we're constantly looking at how best to exploit the DC Comics characters and properties. DC is an incredibly valuable asset to Warner Bros. and plays an important role across the entire studio by providing development and franchise opportunities for all media, including films, television, home entertainment, animation, consumer products, video games and digital platforms."

DC & Marvel could learn a thing or two from New Line Cinema's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Here's a good lesson that the WB could learn form Marvel:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=2&category=18&article=5283

Never make bad movies and never hire Lexi Alexander.

Disney, buys Marvel, yeah, good strategy. Like I said before, the WB doesn't need to learn anything from a Mickey Mouse outfit like Marvel. It's the other way around.

Last edited:
So far, nothing from the deal shows that Disney will interfere in Marvel's plans to further expand their products. More of DC's fringe characters are coming to the screen as opposed to their superheroes.

You're right about that.

I guess because they are considered smaller projects with lower budgets (equals less risks) like Jonah Hex, The Losers, The Deadman, etc.

However, it does add variety to DC's body of movies.

So far, nothing from the deal shows that Disney will interfere in Marvel's plans to further expand their products. More of DC's fringe characters are coming to the screen as opposed to their superheroes.

Nothing outside of the fact that Disney will own Marvel, and its more than 5,000 characters, and Ike Perlmutter keeping his job, maybe. If Disney, has its way, Jonah Jameson, Tony Stark, and Stan Lee would have to shave their mustaches, you will never see Thor wearing a beard, and Demi Lovatto will be the next Mary Jane Watson - oh yeah, and we will finaly see the Incredibles face the Fantastic Four (heh, just kidding). The good thing coming out of this deal is that Marvel is now a legitimate film production company with a lot of money behind it and the opportunity to back films in other genres (just like the WB). Also the fact that Disney demands a level of quality behind the stuff they put out. This is good for both parties because one (the Mouse House) gets to grasp the young male audience it so lacks , while the other (Marvel) gets to survie on more than a couple of films a year with the opportunity to make television series and more animated subject mater as well. Then again, Warner Brothers is doing that already.

Last edited:
Yea right now to we know whos doing what, and what is happening between both marvel and disney, it all seems to be a win win for both companies. Now yes their is alot of pros and their is alot of potentital cons with this whole thing. But we dont know if disney will keep iger's word of a hands off approach with marvel and disney will just be a way for marvel to be more globally branded, have more money to produce movies/cartoons/animated films, etc.....

But like dc comics they are a member of wb/time warner and like disney its just one area within a much larger muli corprate entity. So if dc can do its thing within wb/time warner belt. Why couldnt it be the same for marvel under disney. I pointed this out over in the marvel/disney thread disney if you look at all its assests it owns fully/partially they have alot of things like abc, espn, a&e, history channel, and hollywood pictures/touchstone/miramax and loads of other things they are pretty separate but still are run by disney and are for the young adult/older adult crowds.

Disney would be total fools to just buy marvel and disneyfy the heck out of it. They would be looking the market they are trying to go after which is boys/young adults of 15-24+ yrs old. And with all the different entities in disney empire, they have places to put baby/toddler stuff, stuff for 5-9yrs old, and then stuff for teens, and areas to place more mature/adult theme stuff. So to their is news saying disney is going to disneyfy marvel all us fan boys shouldnt be so negative about things. I said it over in that disney/marvl thread. Yes we should be leery as things are with mergers and all that. But at this point we cant do anything about it and hope for the very best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"