Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
An argument can be made the lack of female representation at the level of consequential authority in entertainment contributed heavily to the environment that allowed a Weinstein to operate so flagrantly.

Exactly correct, it's an indicator that the field doesn't respect women.

Woody Allen has said that the allegations of sexual assault made against Harvey Weinstein are “sad” for the former boss of The Weinstein Company and Miramax, and has warned against a “witch hunt.”

“The whole Harvey Weinstein thing is very sad for everybody involved,” Allen told the BBC. “Tragic for the poor women that were involved, sad for Harvey that his life is so messed up. There’s no winners in that, it’s just very, very sad and tragic for those poor women that had to go through that.”

Allen added that he hoped the revelations would improve matters, but warned against a “witch hunt.”

“You don’t want it to lead to a witch-hunt atmosphere, a Salem atmosphere, where every guy in an office who winks at a woman is suddenly having to call a lawyer to defend himself. That’s not right either. But sure, you hope that something like this could be transformed into a benefit for people rather than just a sad or tragic situation.”

Allen worked with Weinstein on a number of films but claimed he had never heard any of the allegations of sexual assault.

“No one ever came to me or told me horror stories with any real seriousness,” Allen said. “And they wouldn’t, because you are not interested in it. You are interested in making your movie. But you do hear a million fanciful rumors all the time. And some turn out to be true and some — many — are just stories about this actress, or that actor.”

Weinstein’s spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister said earlier this week: “Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/woody-allen-harvey-weinstein-1202590319/

Of course he doesn't want it to turn into a witch hunt.

Who winks at women in an office anymore…?

Ben Wyatt does.
bIlr47D.gif

Did anything come of that Twitter boycott? I still don't understand what it hoped to achieve.

Nothing came of it because once people finally heard the real reason why she was suspended, it wasn't egregious enough to warrant a boycott.

I don't understand what message they were sending or what they hoped to achieve either. Twitter quickly announced why her account was temporarily, the key word being temporarily, suspended & it was a perfectly logical decision.

The whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus now, suddenly anybody who's ever known or been friends with Harvey Weinstein is now being hunted with pitchforks & flaming torches as if they knew every detail of his life.

I don't understand what message they were sending or what they hoped to achieve either. Twitter quickly announced why her account was temporarily, the key word being temporarily, suspended & it was a perfectly logical decision.

The whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus now, suddenly anybody who's ever known or been friends with Harvey Weinstein is now being hunted with pitchforks & flaming torches as if they knew every detail of his life.

Who of his friends or associates is being witch-hunted?

Last edited:
It is a bit ironic that the journalists wanted Woody Allen's input, since folks have been talking about him for years....I guess the difference is the volume of accusations on Weinstein's part versus Allen?

It is a bit ironic that the journalists wanted Woody Allen's input, since folks have been talking about him for years....I guess the difference is the volume of accusations on Weinstein's part versus Allen?

I think it has more to do with the fact that most of Weinstein victims are famous and drawing more attention to the issue, they also sell more, get more clicks and are harder to ignore.

Hard to tell if Woody Allen's crimes are worse as we don't know how many victims he has.

Hard to tell if Woody Allen's crimes are worse as we don't know how many victims he has.

I always see people say something along the lines of "if even one of Cosby's alleged victims is telling the truth, that's one too many".

I'd say the same applies to Woody.

All this **** begs the same question I asked about Bill Cosby some time ago:

Has this guy ever had consensual sex or...?

A bunch of stuff coming out about Kevin Spacey.

Yikes.

That might be a whole other darker route.

Bjork just came out with a statement on "a danish director". I never heard of Von Trier being a creeper, but I've certainly heard about him being a massive ******* so this isn't super surprising.

Yeah, that Kevin Spacey stuff is gonna just cause a ****load more problems. Bryan Singer already has the rep but somehow got out of it.

What is this Kevin Spacey stuff? Is no actual news organization reporting on it?

I'm surprised people are only just now freaking out about Spacey. I've heard for a few years now stuff about him being a little dodgy, even if none of it was confirmed.

There was that story going around a while back that he liked to pick up homeless men, treat them to a 5 star restaurant meal, and then end the night with asking them to come back to his room. When they refused, he'd walk out and leave them to pay the bill.

A lot posts I'm seeing regarding Spacey on Twitter are coming from Pizzagate-y types, so I'm a little hesitant thus far...

A lot posts I'm seeing regarding Spacey on Twitter are coming from Pizzagate-y types, so I'm a little hesitant thus far...
I haven't seen anything on an actual site, which makes me want to wait. Outside of the one post the other day from a friend to someone, I haven't seen anything. Even the stuff with Affleck, when it broke on twitter, ended up on the major sites.

There's a hashtag on Instagram where models are sharing their stories and the stupid thing is, the names of the perps are blacked out. It's not enough to share your story, Weinstein taught us that. People have to be named. Otherwise, it means nothing.

I still don't understand why people would meet him in hotel rooms. Unless that's a common thing in Hollywood.

I think people underestimate just how powerful Weinstein was in making or breaking careers.

I still don't understand why people would meet him in hotel rooms. Unless that's a common thing in Hollywood.

I'm sure most of them knew it wasn't a good idea but felt the risk was worth taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"