Departed Returns Scorsese to the Top

TrailerCues

Sidekick
Reaction score
The ComingSoon.net Box Office Report has been updated with studio estimates for the weekend. Be sure to check back on Monday for the final figures based on actual box office.

Score one for director Martin Scorsese this weekend, as his latest crime drama The Departed, a remake of the Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and more, topped the weekend box office with an estimated $27 million in 3,017 theatres, an average of just slightly less than $9,000 per theatre.

Its predominantly older male audience was presumably enticed by Scorsese's return to the gangster world of earlier favorites combined with predominantly favorable reviews. It is Scorsese's first #1 opening movie since the 1991 remake of Cape Fear, which was also Scorsese's highest opening movie with just $10.2 million in 924 theatres. The Departed made more than that amount on Saturday alone, and based on estimates, it's the #8 highest opening October movie, though it will have some heavy competition in coming weeks if it hopes to cross the $100 million mark like Scorsese's last movie The Aviator.

Even with the huge amount of business for Scorsese's latest, the other two new wide releases also did well, making this the first weekend in two months where three new movies in wide release each made over $10 million. The weekend also was up 20% from the same weekend in October last year when five new movies opened, but only Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit made more than $15 million.

The Departed's prime competition came from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, a sequel to the 2003 horror remake starring Jordana Brewster, which opened with approximately $19.1 million, compared to the $28 million opening of the original movie.

In third place, Sony's animated family comedy Open Season, featuring the voices of Martin Lawrence and Ashton Kutcher, took advantage of the lack of other family movies, adding another $16 million to its gross of $44.1 million. With many schools taking off Monday for Columbus Day, it only dropped 32% from its #1 opening weekend.

Opening in fourth place, Dane Cook and Jessica Simpson teamed up for the Lionsgate comedy Employee of the Month, which made a respectable $11.8 million in its debut, an average of $4,575 in 2,579 theatres.

The Kevin Costner-Ashton Kutcher Coast Guard drama The Guardian dropped down to #5 with a second weekend take of $9.6 million. So far, it has grossed $32.3 million.

Paramount-MTV Films' Jackass Number Two took a bigger tumble in its third weekend, making $6.4 million to bring its total to $62.7 million. It should pass the total box office gross of the original movie sometime this week.

MGM/Dimension Films' comedy School for Scoundrels took a nasty 60% plunge from its opening to 7th place, bringing in $3.4 million for a total of $14 million.

The Rock's football drama Gridiron Gang ended up at #8 with $2.3 million and a box office total of $36.6 million and Jet Li's Fearless fell just below with $2.2 million.

The period mystery The Illusionist, starring Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti and Jessica Biel, continues to do well, adding another $1.8 million in its 6th consecutive week in the Top 10. In two months of release, it has grossed over $34 million, and it's a definite hit for fledgling distributor, Yari Film Group.

Samuel Goldwyn Films' football drama Facing the Giants lost 20 theatres but added another $979 thousand, a 27% drop, to bring its total to $2.7 million. Not bad for a movie that only cost $100 thousand.

The Top 12 was rounded off with the hit Fox Searchlight comedy Little Miss Sunshine and Roland Emmerich's WWI epic Flyboys with $1.3 million and $1 million respectively.

John Cameron Mitchell's controversial sex-drama Shortbus, released by THINKFilm without a rating due to its graphic real sex, took in $121 thousand in just six theatres, a respectable average per theatre of $20 thousand.

Opening in one less theatre, Todd Field's drama Little Children, starring Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson, made $108 thousand its opening weekend.

Last week's royal duo, The Queen starring Helen Mirren and The Last King of Scotland with Forest Whitaker, each added theatres with the former making $400 thousand in 11 theatres and the latter adding $300 thousand in 30. Both films were written by Peter Morgan.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16863

I don't get what makes Employee of the Months take "respectable". Considering the month-long torrential ad-campaign they put into it I'd say it's take was atleast sub-respectable, dissapointing to the parties involved in making the film, and a good thing for that fact.

I dont care, it still looks like a giant piece of crap, and whoever is in charge of marketing needs to be shot for giving away pretty much the entire movie in the ads.

The Joker said:
I dont care, it still looks like a giant piece of crap, and whoever is in charge of marketing needs to be shot for giving away pretty much the entire movie in the ads.

Uh, are you talking about the Departed?:huh:

Scorsese is hardly on top of his game, but he rarely makes "pieces of crap" let alone giant ones. Plus, it's his first pairing with Nicholson and it's got a rating in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes:huh:

The Joker said:

If you're referring to The Departed, then I seriously hate you. You clearly can't recognize a quality piece of cinema, which The Departed truly is. It is by far the best movie I've seen all year and the best thing Scorsese has done since Goodfellas. It was a masterpiece.

JLBats said:
Uh, are you talking about the Departed?:huh:

Scorsese is hardly on top of his game, but he rarely makes "pieces of crap" let alone giant ones. Plus, it's his first pairing with Nicholson and it's got a rating in the 90s on Rotten Tomatoes:huh:
He was talking about Employee of the Month.

God, I'm so ****ing confused:)

ShadowBoxing said:

No, I'm pretty sure that he was referring to The Departed (if not, I'm sorry for lashing out at you).

ANTHONYNASTI said:
No, I'm pretty sure that he was referring to The Departed (if not, I'm sorry for lashing out at you).

Faster, pussycat, kill kill:cmad:

ShadowBoxing said:

His post came up within seconds of mine, I think he was talking about the Departed. Which might make him borderline ******ed.

Who would worry about anything being given away in the trailer for a bad corporate screwball romcom starring a couple of tools ?

BT18 said:
Who would worry about anything being given away in the trailer for a bad corporate screwball romcom starring a couple of tools ?

Someone who only chooses to enjoy the lowest quality of movies known to man.

I was reffering to the Departed. I'm sick of Japanese remakes, I'm sick of Jack Nicholson playing himself in every god damn movie he's in, I'm sick of people acting like Marky Mark is actually a god damn actor, and I'm sick of the stupid trailers for The Departed with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb in them at the end "action" part of it where it doesnt fit at all. I'm sick of being told the entire movie in trailers for all movies, especially this one. One guys a rat, one isnt, and Jack Nicholson acts like he did in Batman some more, yay! I dont care.

And don't get me wrong, I love Scorscese. I loved Goodfellas, I loved Taxi Driver, I loved The Aviator (hell, it made me get over my hatred of Leonardo DeCaprio that had been around since Titanic), I loved Gangs Of New York. It's just that this particular movie looks AWFUL.

The Joker said:
I was reffering to the Departed. I'm sick of Japanese remakes, I'm sick of Jack Nicholson playing himself in every god damn movie he's in, I'm sick of people acting like Marky Mark is actually a god damn actor, and I'm sick of the stupid trailers for The Departed with that awful cover of Comfortably Numb in them at the end "action" part of it where it doesnt fit at all. I'm sick of being told the entire movie in trailers for all movies, especially this one. One guys a rat, one isnt, and Jack Nicholson acts like he did in Batman some more, yay! I dont care.

And don't get me wrong, I love Scorscese. I loved Goodfellas, I loved Taxi Driver, I loved The Aviator (hell, it made me get over my hatred of Leonardo DeCaprio that had been around since Titanic), I loved Gangs Of New York. It's just that this particular movie looks AWFUL.

How about you stop going by preconceived notions and actually watch the movie since youre coming off as very ignorant.

Darthphere said:
How about you stop going by preconceived notions and actually watch the movie since youre coming off as very ignorant.
Eh, people do it all the time on these boards.

Hades said:
Eh, people do it all the time on these boards.

Its different than watching a trailer and saying it looks stupid when you actually start *****ing about the plot and acting in a movie you havent actually seen. Theres a clear difference. Theres no way he could make a statement like "Jack Nicholson acts like he did in Batman some more, yay! I dont care." Without actually seeing Jack Nicholson act in the movie.

I agree with joker the movie was average. Face it you guys and the industry would have praised this movie no matter how bad it was. I just hope marty doesent get the (pity) oscar because people feel bad for him. This is not his best work.

Triadkd said:
I agree with joker the movie was average. Face it you guys and the industry would have praised this movie no matter how bad it was. I just hope marty doesent get the (pity) oscar because people feel bad for him. This is not his best work.

Well did you actually watch the movie?

All I know is I want to see this and the original.

I'll try and see Infernal Affairs first.

It's good, but the ending is weak. That makes what was a nearly flawless movie drop from four stars to three stars. The ending thematically worked but was so poorly executed I cannot say it is a great movie, but a damn good one (and slightly disappointing at that). The Aviator was better though.

Darthphere said:
Its different than watching a trailer and saying it looks stupid when you actually start *****ing about the plot and acting in a movie you havent actually seen. Theres a clear difference. Theres no way he could make a statement like "Jack Nicholson acts like he did in Batman some more, yay! I dont care." Without actually seeing Jack Nicholson act in the movie.

In the trailer, Jack Nicholson acts just like Jack Nicholson. If that isnt how he acts throught he whole movie, that's not my fault for thinking he does, because it is the trailers job to get me intereseted in the movie, while giving a decent impression of what it's going to be. Saying you can't judge whether a movie is good or bad from the trailer does work both ways you know. So if I can't judge this movie by the trailer, I can't judge movies that are obviously bad like Catwoman from there trailer, cause who knows, maybe the trailer was just the bad parts. Or maybe Batman Begins is actually awful, because they only show the good parts in the trailer and the rest sucks. So yes, I should be able to judge the movie by the trailer, because that is the trailers god damn job.

Fine, suit yourself. You're the one missing out. Good for us.

Some of you are getting so worked up over a movie? Hating another because he dislikes a movie? Grow up people.

I'm sorry Dr. MIX, but if you didn't like the absolutely brilliant Coyote Ugly, I have to hate you.

I'm sorry:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"