Detroit Gas War Turns Deadly, Station Owner Killed Over 3 Cent Price Bump

My life's threatened on a daily basis.

"What do you mean I can't use debit at the pumps!? :cmad:"

Are you all so sensitive about your home town? :(

well, i f**king love the hell outta detroit. and im very well aware of its short comings, so to speak. but i still love it. theres so many great things about this city. and chances are, you will never recognize those things unless you live here. its not a city whose charm can be discovered in a weekend. and it bugs me when people talk about it like its a waste of space, when more often than not those people have never spent any real time in the city and base their judgements off of general stereotypes. it's not a waste of space. it's my home. it's my favorite place to be. and there's no other place i'd rather live.

This thread is making me want to watch RoboCop.

The classic "it is so bad I have to stick up for it" theory. This reminds me of that part in the Michael Moore documentary, "Roger and Me" where Flint was listed as the worst place to live in America in some magazine and the residents held a rally with the "leader" saying this:
"What other city has parks like us? What other city can say they have a PGA tour golf tournament held annually? The worst place to live? Ha! I say HA!"

He was actually saying that and people were actually applauding him. I was laughing my ass off. There do exist hell holes in America despite the denial that their residents have and Detroit is no different.

The classic "it is so bad I have to stick up for it" theory. This reminds me of that part in the Michael Moore documentary, "Roger and Me" where Flint was listed as the worst place to live in America in some magazine and the residents held a rally with the "leader" saying this:
"What other city has parks like us? What other city can say they have a PGA tour golf tournament held annually? The worst place to live? Ha! I say HA!"

He was actually saying that and people were actually applauding him. I was laughing my ass off. There do exist hell holes in America despite the denial that their residents have and Detroit is no different.

f**k that. i have no problem pointing out the problems in detroit. and theres a lot of them, more than most cities. but there's tons of incredible things too, that people fail to recognize because they're too occupied with focusing on the bad, or are just too ignorant to see. this is no ridiculous "its so bad i have to stick up for it" rant. if it were that bad, i wouldnt live here. no one is forcing me to live here. i can go anywhere i want. i choose to live in detroit. and i say what i say because its what i believe.

well, i f**king love the hell outta detroit. and im very well aware of its short comings, so to speak. but i still love it. theres so many great things about this city. and chances are, you will never recognize those things unless you live here. its not a city whose charm can be discovered in a weekend. and it bugs me when people talk about it like its a waste of space, when more often than not those people have never spent any real time in the city and base their judgements off of general stereotypes. it's not a waste of space. it's my home. it's my favorite place to be. and there's no other place i'd rather live.
I understand. I was referring to the bizarre exchange where the Detroit booster said "I live in Detroit and I haven't heard this story." and then the guy said, "Well there's so much violence there, this probably just got lost in the clutter." and then the other guy said, "That's not something you should joke about! :cmad:", and the guy said, "I wasn't joking.", and then the Detroit guy said, "I never said you were joking!".
:huh:

Like, Seattle is not mainly known for being a "violent" place, but there is a lot of violence, as with any larger city, and if I hadn't heard about a particular story of local violence, really, the reason would most likely be that it didn't stand out with all the other stories of violence.

Where's the problem?
Then he sounded extremely, almost laughably touchy about it, saying, "I did not appreciate the way he used that true information in that sentence."
lol, time to take a relax-O pill,

^^no no, i wasnt getting worked up over you. just over the general sentiment that i've heard all too often about detroit.

What general statement? Detroit's pitiful. I've been all over the city, and there's nothing here. Literally. I can't hold down a job because every decent business keeps laying off. One day I was walking to the store (this is true, I swear to god), and a blue car drove buy. A guy leans out his car and ****ing SHOOTS AT ME! WTF!?

I'm not surprised people have a general fear and dislikeness for this city! But I will say this...if that how fight over a gas station's price happened in any other city, no one would be making a huge fuss over the city. If it was Denver or even New York, you guys wouldn't be saying stuff like "I'm not surprised something like that would happen, seeing that it happened in (insert city)." Detroit never gets credit for the very little good it gives, only the bad.

I can't wait to move from this place.

^^no no, i wasnt getting worked up over you. just over the general sentiment that i've heard all too often about detroit.

...because the general sentiment is TRUE!! It just is that bad.

What general statement? Detroit's pitiful. I've been all over the city, and there's nothing here. Literally. I can't hold down a job because every decent business keeps laying off. One day I was walking to the store (this is true, I swear to god), and a blue car drove buy. A guy leans out his car and ****ing SHOOTS AT ME! WTF!?

I'm not surprised people have a general fear and dislikeness for this city! But I will say this...if that how fight over a gas station's price happened in any other city, no one would be making a huge fuss over the city. If it was Denver or even New York, you guys wouldn't be saying stuff like "I'm not surprised something like that would happen, seeing that it happened in (insert city)." Detroit never gets credit for the very little good it gives, only the bad.

I can't wait to move from this place.

detroit can certainly be an acquired taste for someone who has unique tastes. its surely not for everyone. im a huge music fan, its a big part of my life, and detroit is a mecca for music. it has a phenominal local music scene and community that is busting at the seams with quality musicians who have immense talent, intelligence, and respect for the medium. and i have great appreciation for that........and coney dogs, which you can get at just about every corner. i love going to the DIA, and belle isle. i love hole in the wall bars (even though i dont drink). i love mexican town, incredible food. and i love a lot of the history and culture behind the city.

yeah, the economy blows here. but thats not just detroit, thats michigan in general. and what happened to you is sincerely f**ked up and disturbing. its easy to see how something like that would turn you off from the city, and i dont blame you. i've been robbed at gun point, and i certainly didnt appreciate it (obviously). but im not gonna let cheap thugs scare mee off from a city i love.

i dont mind if people dont like detroit, but im not cool when they start talking about it being a waste of space and a hell hole.

I have an appreciation for Mexican food, but there is no way in **** you are going to convince me to move to Mexico. Acquired taste is putting it extremely lightly.

What's the real reason. I only read reasons he gave in a long interview.

that'd require getting into jack's personal life, which im not willing to do in a public forum. because it's his business. but stuff went down with some people. and jack split town. it had little to do with the city itself.

I have an appreciation for Mexican food, but there is no way in **** you are going to convince me to move to Mexico. Acquired taste is putting it extremely lightly.

but you dont have to go to mexico for good mexican food....you can just go to mexican town in detroit.

or one of the thousands of mexican restaurants located throughout the united states

I used to like litter.
I'm sure some like to have murders going on around them, just for the atmosphere.

There will always be crime no matter where you go. My thing isn't that the crime is making me leave, but the fact that there's nothing in Detroit. I have to go to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights to shop or go to hobby events (people in Detroit aren't into trading card games, video game conventions, animé to the extent of holding events here), and lets not forget the unemployment rising. There really isn't enough reason to live here.

But again this topic isn't a "I Hate Detroit" rant. Like I said, if that whole fight over gas prices thing happened anywhere else, people wouldn't attacking the location as much. But if it happens in Detroit, out comes all the Detroit criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"