The Punisher Did You Like a Previous Punisher More?

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Before Jon Bernthal, we had Dolph Lundgren (1989), Thomas Jane (2004 + Dirty Laundry), and then Ray Stevenson (Warzone) who is Volstagg in the MCU.

What you think of the movies they played in doesn't matter, you can like a character in a story you don't like.

I really liked Thomas Jane, he was my favorite Punisher before Bernthal. I think that if he had given the same material he would've done pretty good himself, but still to me Jon Bernthal takes it.

My favorite is still Frank Grillo.

Ray was the best Punisher in the worse movie imo.

Overall the Netflix show is vastly superior. Hands down the best live action comic book related thing I've seen this year.

I really liked Thomas Jane, he was my favorite Punisher before Bernthal. I think that if he had given the same material he would've done pretty good himself, but still to me Jon Bernthal takes it.
Completely agree

My favorite is still Frank Grillo.

He would have been awesome, not sure he'd nail it as good as Bernthal but I'd be close

Bernthal is pretty much the standard in my eyes. I liked aspects of the previous portrayals of Frank, but none of them completely hit home for me. Bernthal did in spades.

He might not be the biggest but out of all those guys Bernthal naturally just looks the meanest lol. IMO he has the perfect look for the Punisher despite the fact he's not as ridiculously large as he's drawn in the comics.

The Netflix Series, The Punisher, was what really set Jon Bernthal as The Punisher to me at least. I can't really picture anybody else as Punisher. Sorry for being so late to the topic, but I thought I'd just give my own views.

Ray Stevenson is the best Punisher in the worse film.

You could say the same thing about Jane.

Bernthal was the perfect storm of actor, story, and episodic development.

I loved Jane and Stevenson, but Jon Bernathal is the best Punisher by far!

Don't remember much about Dolph's take.

Bernthal is the one and only Punisher for me. Not only because the script and the direction was also great, but because HE just embodied Frank Castle in a way none of the others did, even the ones who looked more like the comic book version physically. None of them had his intensity.

That said, I did enjoy Thomas Jane's portrayal of the character. He nailed the "dead inside" aspect of Frank really well, he just didn't have the intensity and rage that Bernthal did.

Stevenson was... okay, but it's honestly tough to evaluate his performance because literally EVERY other aspect of that movie is awful. However, after seeing him on Black Sails, I think he might have been able to portray a better Punisher in a better movie.

Dolph Lundgren just came off stoned out of his mind, lol. He's never been particularly impressive as an actor.

Bernthal is the one and only Punisher for me. Not only because the script and the direction was also great, but because HE just embodied Frank Castle in a way none of the others did, even the ones who looked more like the comic book version physically. None of them had his intensity.

That said, I did enjoy Thomas Jane's portrayal of the character. He nailed the "dead inside" aspect of Frank really well, he just didn't have the intensity and rage that Bernthal did.

Stevenson was... okay, but it's honestly tough to evaluate his performance because literally EVERY other aspect of that movie is awful. However, after seeing him on Black Sails, I think he might have been able to portray a better Punisher in a better movie.

Dolph Lundgren just came off stoned out of his mind, lol. He's never been particularly impressive as an actor.

lol... Probably helped that Jon Bernthal was a harda$$ in real life too

https://www.gq.com/story/jon-bernthal-outsiders-profile

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"