`89 Punisher

I'd buy a packed DVD of this film. After War Zone and slap in the face toward comic fan's that was, I would welcome it.

Yeah, I really like the 89 Punisher movie. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it when I finally saw it on tv after all the flack it got.
Interesting that someone said the director wanted to do a DC, that would be great to see, maybe he could digitally add the skull where possible and have a stand in do a scene where Frank is ironing on the skull to his clothes.
The action is a lot of fun, esp that docks scene, and I always liked his little informant friend, love teh scene with the remote control truck with the whiskey bottle.
I'm sure there are a few DL dtv that you could pretend were sequels. I got one called 'Missionary man' last year that you could pretend was a Punisher DKR if you wanted, after all he talks about god a little, he could have went a bit religious as he got older.

edit: I prefer it to the Tom Jane one, which I did enjoy, DL one is just a lot more fun and cool. Havent seen war zone yet.

I love Punisher '89. Way better than '04, IMHO. Haven't seen War Zone, so I can't compare.

Dolph's detached, pretty much suicidal Frank was pretty cool. Sucked that he didn't wear the skull, but at least it was his calling card on his knives.

They should have material to add in a DC. i've heard there were deleted scenes going into Frank's backstory with Lou Gossett's character and explaining why the mob killed his family. I doubt this film would get that kind of treatment though.

I love Punisher '89. Way better than '04, IMHO. Haven't seen War Zone, so I can't compare.

It's a mixed bag, though it's my fav. It's too bad the others didnt do well if only for that it would have inspired a proper release of this DVD.

a Lady Yakuza was a cool idea for a villain, far better than money launderer Howard Saint :whatever:

This movie and Kill Bill shows you can't go wrong with a lady Yakuza :woot:

You can find some of the deleted scenes on Youtube. There is a good bit of back story there.

Lady Tanaka was definitely the best villain out of the three movies.

wow, really. You want me to wipe your ass for you too?

You can find some of the deleted scenes on Youtube. There is a good bit of back story there.

Lady Tanaka was definitely the best villain out of the three movies.

Naw, I'd say Quentin Glass was the best villain, but Tanaka does come a close ****ing second.

Naw, I'd say Quentin Glass was the best villain, but Tanaka does come a close ****ing second.
The Trojan horse-like ambush at the cafe alone should allow Tanaka to trump Quentin. You know the part where she had already poisoned Franco's men and they didn't know it? Then shoves a Magnum down one of their throats and pulls the trigger. Fu##in' awesome sequence. :word:

Besides, Tanaka had a hot daughter who was nearly as vicious as she was.

I found a two part video review of the '89 Punisher by a user at YouTube. Those who are fans of the '89 Punisher might agree with this review.

"Video Review Part 1"

"Video Review Part 2"

Punisher 89 was good the 2nd best movie behind WZ. The acting was better then WZ but not the fight scenes. Also the skull not being worn by Frank sucked and so did his orgin. But Lady Tanaka>>>>>>>>>Jigsaw but still loved PWz cause it was more of a Punisher flick. Punisher 89 felt more like an average 80s action film.

The Thomas Janes version is on Netflix streaming. I'm surprised this one isn't on it as well. In fact, this movie is basically buried by whoever is the distributor.

This movie gets more hate than it deserves. As an action movie...it works. It was directed by Mark Goldblatt whose one of the top 5 best editors of the action genre and James Cameron's right-hand man. The dude understands the genre and delivered the goods. Is it a great movie? No, but neither were the other two Punisher movies.

Also, I kinda like Dolph Lundgren's Punisher the best. His interpretation was to play the character as a crazy person. He'll kill anybody. Tom Jane and Ray Stevenson showed a little more humanity with their performance. Lundgren, however, was on an emotion-less killing spree. Plus, the dude lives in the sewers, like a Ninja Turtle, and sits around naked talking to God! What the. . .?

By the way, I find it funny that Stan Lee got hired as a consultant even though he didn't even create the character. lol.

lundgren_punisher.jpg
Lundgren looks really creepy in this movie IMO and it's very effective! He almost looks undead (fits perfectly)! Ever notice the way the (painted-on looking) five-o-clock shadow shaping his jaw line, dark circles around his eyes, and jet black (dyed) hair contrasting against his pale skin make his face look skull-like? Even if this wasn't the original intent of the filmmakers, they must have realized it at some point and ran with it.

Last edited:
The Punisher doesn't work on film simply because The Punisher is a one dimentional character, his family was killed and now he's a killing machine...that's all there is to the punisher.

The character hasn't worked on film because he's too complex for 90 minutes to accurately depict him. An HBO series is the only way to get it right.

I actually think the '89 flick is the best attempt at the Punisher on film. If they had just put the damn skull on his shirt...

If they make another Punisher movie, or tv series, they should take inspiration from Jason Aaron's Punisher Max series. Where it makes him a more complex, ambiguous character. Being a Vietnam vet with PTSD, when he came home he couldn't re-adjust to a normal life, he couldn't be that family man again. He was still thirsting for war. So when his family was killed it wasn't just a horrible tragedy, but also a release for Frank. So he could carry on the war, he could be the real him, not this fake family man.

The story line with Bullseye in particular would be amazing.

The character hasn't worked on film because he's too complex for 90 minutes to accurately depict him. An HBO series is the only way to get it right.

I actually think the '89 flick is the best attempt at the Punisher on film. If they had just put the damn skull on his shirt...

I agree. People who say the Punisher is one dimensional obviously have not read the comics. Frank Castle was messed up long before his families murder. That was just the tipping point.

Things like Franks catholic faith including training to become a priest and his post traumatic stress disorder from Vietnam are ignored in the movies. The psychology of why Frank does what he does has never been shown in the films as opposed to how it is the comics.

I saw The 89 Punisher recently (well last year) and was really impressed with it too, after admittedly being a bit sceptical at first, mainly due to it being a Dolph film, but did really enjoy the story and the action scenes.

It's terrible that Mark Goldblatt never directed another movie after the Punisher, it really did get a bad rep for no good reason, it's a simple action adventure movie, has no other pretentions , and does what it set out to do well.
I just looked up his wiki page, and he is still editing good movies, the last one he edited was that rise of the planet of the apes, which I have not seen.

fug it, if I were in charge of marvel studios, I'd hire him to direct a new Punisher movie. Imagine the reacion that would get from some fans, haha.

The Punisher is kind of a cursed film property, everyone that touches it get sent to director's jail. Goldblatt went back to editing after it. It took Hensleigh till 2011 to make another movie, though he make Welcome to the Jungle, which was a no budget direct-to-DVD movie in '05. And no one has heard from Alexander since PWZ came out.

The Punisher is kind of a cursed film property, everyone that touches it get sent to director's jail. Goldblatt went back to editing after it. It took Hensleigh till 2011 to make another movie, though he make Welcome to the Jungle, which was a no budget direct-to-DVD movie in '05. And no one has heard from Alexander since PWZ came out.

Maybe the only way to break the curse is to direct another Punisher film, haha, honestly though, if i were in charge at Marvel studios, he is the person I would sign up to make the next Punisher film. Because it will obviously be low budget, and he did very well with a Cannon budget back in the day.

Last edited:
I always thought this one was underrated,As an adaption it's pretty poor But as a film itself it's good!!

I also agree that Punisher would work much better as a mini-series or full TV show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"