Rogue One Diego Luna is Captain Cassian Andor in Rogue One

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
9VOeozH.jpg

Is not Playing Biggs Darklighter....@3:28
[YT]YD7TfM8yS5I[/YT]
...or is he?

Director Gareth Edwards has found another rebel fighter to battle the Empire in “Star Wars: Rogue One.” Sources tell Variety that Diego Luna has landed a lead role opposite Felicity Jones and Riz Ahmed, with Ben Mendelsohn set to star as the film’s primary villain.

464051632.jpg

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-rogue-one-diego-luna-cast-1201494752/

Last edited:
NEhZffADgBhzko_2_b.jpg

Not my comparison, but it's certainly getting some buzz.
What does everyone think?
you want to see Biggs [Luna] Darklighter as part of the team that stole the original Death Star plans?
Does it even make sense?
Or is this just fanfoolery since he was already at Yavin ...without them!

Last edited:
rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-photos-014-480w.jpg

Diego Luna & Donnie Yen
VUduvIT.jpg

Another Diego Luna with coat in hand, maybe the stunt double
8GiWxGU.jpg

Diego Luna's full costume and weapon.

CLwHWll.jpg

CZpzqOYWEAAIAJK.jpg:large
Z39yLqw.jpg

CZpzwzzWIAEBB6W.jpg:large

Between the main cast photo and the on-set leaked photos, he seems to be the only one to get a costume change.
From a more wintery (Hoth/Han reminiscent) looking gear to a lighter version for the oasis set.

Last edited:
Diego Luna = Cassein Willix.

12384f.gif

Last edited:
Kes%20Dameron%20please%20too_zps4excmasy.gif

But has his character named been confirmed or it could be he's playing Kes Dameron?
It's already canon that Dameron was part of the ground troops that took out the shield generator and he knows his way around guns.

I wonder what a Gareth Edwards directed 'attack on Titan' movie would look like?

Kes%20Dameron%20please%20too_zps4excmasy.gif

But has his character named been confirmed or it could be he's playing Kes Dameron?
It's already canon that Dameron was part of the ground troops that took out the shield generator and he knows his way around guns.

I love that Star Wars is now the only blockbuster where straight white men are the extra and everyone else are the stars instead of the other way around

I love that Star Wars is now the only blockbuster where ...white men are the extra and everyone else are the stars instead of the other way around

Suicide Squad comes close.
Not surprisingly they both follow a similar Dirty Dozen plot:
Dirty Dozen wiki: said:
"...gather a small band of the Army's worst ex-soldier convicts (some awaiting execution) and turn them into commandos to be sent on a suicide mission"
While the diversity in these two films is commendable, there is an inescapable irony that it comes when the focus is on the supposed outsiders, dissenters, fringe of society who don't otherwise belong = disposable and forgotten.
And while they "get" to be shown as heroes, they are there to die and be forgotten They are not the characters you follow to their ongoing story.
In those films they revert to being the "extras".

Last edited:
It's interesting that he and Felicity (Jyn) seem to be sharing multiple scenes together.

It's interesting that he and Felicity (Jyn) seem to be sharing multiple scenes together.
Re; From The General news thread-

In an interview, Alan Tudyk(Imperial Droid character) said most his scenes are with Jones and Luna.
So this seems to be the heart of the team and action.

From the trailer set up, it looks like Luna(Cassien) is the straight Rebel officer, who has to real in the firebrand Jones(Jyn), and they are the first ones who actually sneak into the Imperial base and steal the droid(Tudyk) with the DS plans.
Hence they are always together.
The others Yen, Ahmed & Wen, likely help them get in , and then escape the rest of the way.

There is a shot of a droid running with them (through that place with the weird-looking tanks), I guess that that's Tudyk's character.

There is a shot of a droid running with them (through that place with the weird-looking tanks), I guess that that's Tudyk's character.

Here is Tudyk's thread - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=504839

You can see the droid he plays in these two shots.

123zjz.gif

123zdk.gif

And his quote: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/#~ppNcJjT2zPaxfU
“It’s more fun on a movie set than I’ve had in a very long time,” he said. “I didn’t know what to expect. I really like my fellow cast-members – Diego Luna and Felicity Jones, I see them a lot, most of my scenes are with them. And Gareth is great.”

It does seem to be the case.

125eky.gif

124192.gif

1272ic.gif

123zjz.gif

123ytl.gif

Last edited:
seems to me that Diego Luna is playing Kyle Katarn from Dark Force, or at least a new character that's inspired by Katarn based on Luna's look in the trailer

seems to me that Diego Luna is playing Kyle Katarn from Dark Force, or at least a new character that's inspired by Katarn based on Luna's look in the trailer
There are some interesting parallels.
Also he's teamed up with "Rebel working undercover as a double agent in the Empire Jan Ors" Jyn Erso.
Jyn is rumored to have ties to the Empire as her father[Mads Mikkelsen] is the scientist connected to the DS plans.
If anything Jyn seems more like the Kyle role.

From the Dark Forces opening crawl:
...to acquire the plans to the deadly space station, the Rebels have employed the skills of Kyle Katarn Jyn Erso known to most as a mercenary for hire, Katarn Jyn is a rogue figure who has a partial alliance with the Rebels.

Armed only with a blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of Imperial methods, Kyle Jyn prepares to infiltrate the Imperial base where the plans are kept…

But do they even look that alike?
The characters have a tangential similarity because they both exploit the same pre-ANH setup;
The Rebels stealing the DS plans of the opening crawl.
That doesn't' mean he [or she] "is playing Kyle Katarn" or even "inspired by him".
He won't be a force user getting a lightsaber like Katarn, which was a major part of his arc, this is nothing like that.
He's appropriately meant to invoke the right look and role of the rebels of the time of stealing the plans, and he does.
That's it.

First we had it must be Biggs, now it's Katarn. Why can't he just be his own character Cassien, Rebel Captain, and Rogue . :funny:
125eky.gif

That said, seeing a nod to the Crow or Raven-Claw would be...:awesome:
12a07h.gif

129zxa.gif

129zdh.gif

Last edited:
If their dynamic is even half as fun as Rey and Finn, or any of the pairings in TFA for that matter were, then I'm A-OK with this.

If their dynamic is even half as fun as Rey and Finn, or any of the pairings in TFA for that matter were, then I'm A-OK with this.

Rey and Finn like Luke, had something special, they were a lot younger, Finn desperately trying to change/define what he is from what he's been told he has to be, and Rey reluctantly at first, then fully embracing what she is to become.
These were some pretty strong youthful story arcs, with some intensity, and a lot of fun playing off their coming of age, and friendship.

The Rogue characters are likely the opposite of that.
Older, likely very much set in their ways, and much more jaded.
They are also signed up to what will essentially be a suicide mission, in what has already been established as a grittier portrayal
Not sure how much fun they will be.:oldrazz:

While Tudyk's character might be there to bring some laughs, he also seems like a repurposed imperial droid.
This is not a coming of age arc.
You should be ready for this film to have a really different tone.:dry:

Last edited:
I didn't say the same dynamic. I said an entertaining one.

I didn't say the same dynamic. I said an entertaining one.

Ok, yeah, I'm just rambling.
The trailer other that Jyn and setting up the others visually, doesn't reveal allot as far as the dynamic between characters.
Hopefully the next trailer focuses on some of that. And we see how they all play off each other. :cwink:

8gp7J72.jpg

kujRniY.jpg

Qngw6Ei.jpg

Diego Luna plays Captain Cassian Andor an officer in the Rebel Alliance

Last edited:
Seems to be quite the shooter, I dig the rifle and has an interesting name!

8gp7J72.jpg

kujRniY.jpg

1BAiZ8z.jpg

Diego Luna plays Captain Cassian Andor an officer in the Rebel Alliance

Seems to be quite the shooter, I dig the rifle and has an interesting name!

He's definitely rockin some sniper poses.

Going way off topic:

Now he's very slightly starting to remind me of Cougar (Óscar Jaenada) the sniper from DC's Losers film.

600px-Losers001.jpg

Another movie about an assemble of outcasts "rebels" who become the unsung heroes on a somewhat suicide mission ... Strangely they are led by Aisha (Zoe Saldana), a mysterious woman who turns out to be the daughter of one of the main villain, she has a personal stake in stealing a hard drive with the secrets for a new kind of weapon (a new kind of nuke) ...and potentially betrays the team.
mM1MM6L.jpg

[YT]o_K6y8ihyi8[/YT]
but these are just common tropes.

Back on topic:

I'm really liking the name Cassian Andor sounds very StarWars-ey to me.
Also thinking although they are completley different names, it's a bit of a almost flipped anagramy/reworking of Lando Calrissian (drop the L's and move the r), he might have a similar scoundrel vibe.

Cassian Andor
Calrissian Landor
Lando Calrissian

...now if he survives this mission, give the man a cape! ;)

Last edited:
Good catch on the name, it sounded familiar but I didn't pay much attention

Cassian Andor is a great friggin' name. Pure Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"