Rogue One Alan Tudyk is K-2SO in Rogue One

If we already have the comic relief, then what's the point of those two other guys? Bistan and Pao I mean. Sounds like comic relief overkill to me... which would actually be a very Disney thing to do. :o

There's comic relief and comic relief. If it's all done well, no problem.

alan-tudyks-imperial-droid-k-2so-has-an-attitude-in-star-wars-rogue-one4

In today's article from Entertainment Weekly, Alan Tudyk discusses K-2SO:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/rogue-one-alan-tudyk

For all his rough edges, Kaytoo also feels fierce loyalty, Tudyk says, especially toward Diego Luna’s character, Rebel captain Cassian Andor, who cleared the droid’s databanks of Imperial programming and allowed him to break free of service to the galactic dictatorship.

Their friendship goes back long before the start of Rogue One. “They’ve been around. They’ve been together for a while, a couple years,” Tudyk says. “He wants what Cassian wants. He loves Cassian, because he freed him. It’s also more paternal in that [Cassian] gave him life and took away the bonds of his programming.”
Love this.
These guys are so different, can't wait to see how they play off each other.

Also I guess I was surprised to here he's playing him with an English accent, although it makes sense.

Last edited:
He definitely gives me a slightly more moral HK vibe.

Why do I like this guy so much. I just know I'll probably end up buying his action figure, because he has such a cool looking design. Well, unless he turns out to be an annoying character, that "chances of death" line was kind of lazy.

Prepare for a ton of Disney easter eggs, since this is the same guy who voiced various Disney characters such as Duke of Weselton in Frozen, Duke Weaselton in Zootopia, and King Candy/Turbo in Wreck it Ralph

After watching the latest trailer I really wish they had named him something that rhymes with Zod. (Because it looks like Jyn is kneeling before him)

I thought Cassian was going to meet and reprogram him early in the film and not years before, that's cool and interesting though

i love this Droid so much right now , he is like a really Bad C3PO

The Awesome Fact About K-2SO that he is CGI , but Don't look like it , just brilliant VFX Work

LOL, sequence is missing the scene where Cassian smiles. Like he's such a proud dad, finally taught his kid not to kill! .:woot:

I think I'm going to love this pairing. Looks like Cassian is going to have to keep apologizing for K2's antics.

Also, how are people reading this scene where Jyn and Cassian are captured and cuffed, and somebody frees them?
Those two quick deadly shots to the Troopers holding them.
19561d.gif

At first I though must be Gerrera himself or his secret Rebels coming out of hiding...

But the cut is soon followed by this sequence where K2 approaches, and you see the group of Storm Troopers (maybe different from Chirrut's) knocked out behind them.
1954ok.gif

Now I'm thinking it's actually K2 who rescues them in that scene.
Is he holding a blaster?

1953sf.gif
Can anyone grab a bigger gif of this, is K2 holding a blaster?

Also it would explain the upcoming K2 figure?
adc447_bf1786bb775c4f28805eca578025f805~mv2.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of K-2SO - Black Series #24 figure reviews:

[YT]iEmVGIIAarg[/YT]

[YT]LPb2Dy3HsP8[/YT]

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/09/alan-tudyk-talks-k-2so-and-rogue-one-at.html

http://nerdbastards.com/2016/09/04/fan-expo-16-alan-tudyk-discusses-rogue-one-and-firefly-memories/

1a373k.gif

You can see Tudyk peeking out from behind the CGd Kaytoo and the extra head floating on a stick above.
:funny:
Tudyk, who is 6ft tall, had to wear stilts in order to play K2 during most of the shoot. However, there were times when this was not possible. "I was by cliff once and you can't wear stilts there, because you'll die if you make one wrong step," Tudyk recalled. "So they had this backpack, which ended up being known as the backpack of shame...it had this head that was up where (K2's) head should be."

The "backpack of shame", became a source of great entertainment for Tudyk's co-stars. He recalled on particular exchange with Diego Luna, who plays Cassian Andor. "The first time I wore it he goes, 'Alan, it is terrible what has happened. Everyone respected you just a moment ago, now they just feel sorry for you. Could you please take that ridiculous backpack off, it is upsetting the entire crew.'"

This, and the story about Tudyk's fear and Luna's reactions to misplacing their screen-pages!:funny::woot:

Last edited:
He kind of stole this movie, shame to see his thread on page 2, so some great new behind the scenes images...

AN1-035015_R-1.jpg

em1020.bg01.SRC_.1053-1.jpg

em1020FF-000523-1.jpg

AN1-035456_R.jpg

kHi1cwk.jpg

Above the infamous so called "backpack of shame" with K2's head floating above Tudyk.
:funny:
... Tudyk recalled. "So they had this backpack, which ended up being known as the backpack of shame...it had this head that was up where (K2's) head should be."

The "backpack of shame", became a source of great entertainment for Tudyk's co-stars. He recalled on particular exchange with Diego Luna, who plays Cassian Andor. "The first time I wore it he goes, 'Alan, it is terrible what has happened. Everyone respected you just a moment ago, now they just feel sorry for you. Could you please take that ridiculous backpack off, it is upsetting the entire crew.'"

Last edited:
Those are great! The backpack might look silly but how else are the other actors supposed to know where to look?

I love that Tudyk got to do the mocap for it. Reminds me a bit of Spader in Age of Ultron with the huge thing above his head.

The backpack was only for when it was not safe for Alan to use the main method, such as when they were filming on the edges of cliffs (I think I have also seen him with it on when they were filming on the beach, no doubt due to the sand). The main way they got the eye line was for Alan to wear stilts everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"