Digimon: Series Discussion

One night only Fathom event

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ydvexj9d8[/YT]

Finally got around to seeing the third film. Damn. Right in the feels. All of them.

Digimon Tri Part 5 "Symbiosis" is out now. I have... mixed feelings about it to say the least. Anyone else keeping up with Tri? I've been absolutely loving it up to this movie. My biggest gripe is my burning hatred for Mei.

Adventures getting a movie with another time jump
digimon-movie-new-designs-1125869.jpeg

So they went ahead and rebooted Digimon Adventures and set it in present day. Apparently they playing fast and furious with the series.

It’s great! As a lifelong Digimon fan, I highly recommend it so far!

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. Feels like a lifetime ago. I completely forgot about even making it. My writing is a little embarrassing to read nowadays. Feels a little more self conscious. What a difference seven years makes.

As for Digimon Tamers, my thoughts are pretty much the same. Nothing has surpassed it...yet.

I’m digging Digimon Adventure 2020 so far. The characters are still the characters we know and love, but filtered through a more real world setting, thus feeling less like archetypes and more like actual people. They’re also taking a more gradual approach with introducing the main cast, which I love. The way they’re playing around with the mythology of previous series’ similar events and aesthetics (the crest symbols being more internal instead of relics to hunt for, the first enemy looking similar to the D-Reaper from Tamers, the events of episodes 1-3 and the look of the Net basically taking from Our War Game, etc.) is very interesting. Instead of being just a straight up remake or reboot, it’s more of remix of everything we know about the Digimon mythos told through a reimagined retelling of the first season. It simultaneously feels fresh yet familiar.

Also, as far as animation goes, I mean, just look at this!

Granted, it’s not as consistently quality as the above clips, but original Digimon wishes it had animation this good!

If this series keeps up with this writing and moments of great animation, this could end up becoming my second favorite series.

I really liked 90s adventures, the draw style animation was pure charme for me. I like they return to the draw style, but I dont know if I give it a try if it is really the same story. Then I prefer my old anime to be honest.

Had no idea that there was a new reboot. I need to catch up, the animation looks great.

If people haven't seen the Japanese version expect the humor to not be as wacky as the American version. Sure there's humor but not so in your face

Crunchy Roll has the first four episodes with each episode subbed a week after it airs in Japan.

New episodes debut on Sunday morning/Saturday night.

If you can't wait the new episode usually pops up on youtube subbed around 9 or 10 pm. Just type in "Digimon Adventure 2020"

Currently the series is on episode 5. The corona virus pandemic halted the show for a few weeks

First episode

Digimon Adventure: (2020)

It's really awesome how much tension they can put into the first few episodes. It's basically the movie version of the "Our War Game" movie(The Japanese version). The show just starts off running.

I agree that they're playing fast and loose with how things originally happened in the first series in 1999

For example.

Omegamon debuts in the 3rd episode but it's more of an unexpected occurrence.

This leaves us with the desire for Tai and Yamato to try and figure out how to replicate getting Omegamon back for the rest of the series

Then after the "Our War games" homage then we see the kids go off the summer camp like the original.

Last edited:
It’s honestly working so well for me. Loved the lore we got last episode and the changes have really helped the series feel fresh while still staying true to the classic formula. The digimon are really dynamic in their battles too.

The 4th episode is the best thus far. Love it when they world build.

Dont know why it took me 20 years to realize that Greymon/Birdramon/Garurumon all have fire based attacks...really wish they'd have changed Birdramons attack for that purprose. She's always been my fave.

Garurumon should be the one to change. He should have ice attacks since his effect is blue and Metalgarurumon has ice powers. And Matt is "cool" and has a fire and ice thing going on with Tai. Birdramon has to keep her phoenix motif.

I think episode 5 is favourite because we got so much backstory and because Kabuterimon is my personal favourite. Birdramon got a cool moment, but so far only Augumon to Greymon has a stock digivolution sequence! I hope they all get one.

Digimon Adventure episode 6

That was pretty brutal how Greymon cut off Ogremon's horn.

Marika Kouno's take on Mimi is pretty good. She's the first VA to play Mimi who isn't also a singer. Mimi's episode looked to mix in elements of the Gekomon episode from the original Adventure, though Mimi herself is as big-hearted and big-hatted as ever, even if her idea of making friends with Taichi and Sora is declaring that they're now her servants. Birdramon doesn't have a stock footage sequence yet, but the show makes that not really matter. The action continues to be fantastic, with Togemon's debut really standing out. And Mimi's grandpa is the owner of Tachikawa Heavy Industries, so they're a full conglomerate. Lots being revealed here.

An interview with series compositer Atsuhiro Tomioka:

Translated Interviews with Tenya Yabuno & Atsuhiro Tomioka, w/ Adventure: Length Info

-Tomioka-san, what does your role as series composer entail?
Tomioka: I never know how to give a short answer to that question (laughs). Since this role is not in the system of TV dramas, it's hard for some people to understand. The series composer is responsible for listening to everyone's ideas while putting the flow of the entire series' story and character actions into words. Of course, I also take an active part in writing scenarios and fleshing out the story. Since "Digimon Adventure:" is a long series that will be on the air for a year, the writing is divided up between five people. When each screenplay writer brings forth their ideas of what they think "this character would do in this scene," my stance is to not reject any of their ideas. Rather, I make sure to treat them with delicacy since the ideas actually grow from further input by the director and producer. My job is to aggressively expand the story into something fun (laughs).

Now, he says Adventure 2020 will last a year, which should be around 50 episodes. However, we don't know how the hiatus will affect Adventure 2020.

If they still plan to end the season in April 2021, the anime would have (around) 9 episodes less than it was originally planned.

Although it is also possible they "extend" Adventure 2020 until July 2021. So, it won't loss episodes.

Last edited:
The new animation techniques really make the series shine. The old series could never do this.

Original Metalgreymon never moved like this

The animation is much more dynamic for sure. The action in the original series relied on stock animation of Digimon special moves while this series shows way more movement. The driving force behind ultimate evolutions is also different. I got the impression that Greymon evolved because Tai was so in-sync with him rather than demonstrating his crest trait. I really loved the tags/crests in the original and it allowed for great character moments. The crests have already been incorporated into the digivices here.

I definitely see this reboot as its own thing and I'm not comparing its quality to the original. They're just different in some interesting ways. I thought Mimi and Joe's intro episodes were excellent, but was a little disappointed that Tai took the spotlight again for these last two episodes. Tai is much more of a Shonen hero in this series than he was in the original.

For those of you where Digimon was a huge part of your childhood, this announcement was made just a few days ago:

Discotek to Release 3 Digimon Films With New Uncut English Dub Featuring Classic Cast
The release will include the original versions of the Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure Our War Game!, and Digimon Adventure 02: DigimonHurricane Touchdown!! films with new uncut dubs, featuring the classic cast. The new dubbed version uses the Japanese music. The release will also include Japanese audio with English subtitles for the films. Additionally, Digimon: The Movie has been newly remastered in HD with the original dub. Discotek added that there is no short before Digimon: The Movie.

Regarding the new uncut dub cast, Discotek stated, "Anyone who we could find & could come back is here." The company added, "When needed, new actors were cast based on energy & giving a voice & vibe that fits what you heard almost 25 years ago." Discotek screened the new dubs for all three films at Otakon on Saturday.

Discotek said the release will be "coming soon."

The original edited movie remastered in HD, plus all of the original uncut films with brand new English dubs from all of the original voice actors they could get?

F**k. Yes.

The animation looks really great. I still haven’t seen Tri because of the mixed reception that it got but I might if they continue doing these. Would love to get something for Tamers. And even Frontier.

Frontier deserves more love.

I'm down for some Frontier movies, if just to see the other 8 fusion digivolutions (if the card game is anything to go by, some get....weird). And maybe their Ancient Digivolutions.

I do wonder if the 02 movie is going to have Shakkoumon and Silphymon digivolutions, or alternate DNA digivolutions like Dinobeeomon or alternate armor digivolutions.

I'm down for some Frontier movies, if just to see the other 8 fusion digivolutions (if the card game is anything to go by, some get....weird). And maybe their Ancient Digivolutions.

I do wonder if the 02 movie is going to have Shakkoumon and Silphymon digivolutions, or alternate DNA digivolutions like Dinobeeomon or alternate armor digivolutions.
See this is what annoys me about Digimon. The main guys always get the Megas or special digivolutions.

See this is what annoys me about Digimon. The main guys always get the Megas or special digivolutions.

Tamers, Data Squad, and Ghost Game all gave the Megas to the main cast. Some of it may be the size of the main cast, though.

Tamers, Data Squad, and Ghost Game all gave the Megas to the main cast. Some of it may be the size of the main cast, though.
3 and 4, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"