Discussion: General Election 2024

There's a rumour that Trump's campaign is pondering a significant proposal: replacing income taxes with tarriffs.

I can't tell if that's true or if it would be good or bad policy. But at least we'd be discussing policy in a campaign.

It's bad policy because it would amount to a massive tax increase on the poor and middle class. Tariffs are taxes on foreign goods. If you thought inflation was bad before when it peaked in June 2022 people have seen nothing yet. Sales/flat taxes and tariffs are regressive to consumers unlike progressive income taxes.

MAGA media support Trump's “deranged” plan to use tariffs to replace income tax​

Replacing income tax revenue with tariffs would be a huge lower-income and middle class tax increase

During a June 13 meeting with Republican elected officials on Capitol Hill, disgraced former president, convicted felon, and presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump reportedly floated a proposal for a second term that could involve replacing income taxes with tariffs (taxes on imported goods). Republican attendees later confirmed that Trump had proposed using tariffs (which increase costs for consumers) to cut or even replace income taxes.

Tax and economic policy experts from across the political spectrum criticized Trump's proposal, which could severely disrupt international commerce and the domestic economy while supplanting the United States' existing system of progressive income taxation with regressive consumption taxes.

However, experts on both sides of the aisle have raised questions about Trump’s policy proposal. For example, a report from the think tank Tax Foundation argued that imposing new tariffs may actually harm working class Americans and risk hitting international trade.

This premise aged like milk:

Opinion: Here’s why Trump will reject a flat tax (April 2024)​

There’s a very simple reason why he’s going to dismiss the idea[: it's unpopular and expensive]​

im-88467849

Last edited:
CLAIM: Biden froze onstage during his fundraiser in Los Angeles on Saturday night and had to be led away by Obama.

THE FACTS: Biden paused amid cheers and applause as he exited the stage with his predecessor following an interview moderated by late-night host Kimmel.

7m10s

IMO, Roger Stone has an even worse hair transplant than Donald Trump.

Does Trump have implants or just a really bad comb over? :(
I'm not 100% sure, but the theory I've read I'm most convinced by is that he got an early-generation hair transplant, from back when the technology wasn't as good.

Bloomberg - Opinion | I Didn’t Think Biden Affected Crime Rates. I Was Wrong.

I still think crime is falling because most Americans are employed right now.

I fear we're going to have a Trump Presidency for the dumbest possible reason.

The scenario I'm visualizing -- please critique away -- is that Netanyahu believes that there is no possibility that the USA will let Israel fall. So at some point soon, he is going to escalate. He is going to invade Lebanon. The fighting on the Israel/Lebanon weird is actually quite fierce right now.

If Netanyahu invades Lebanon, there is a significant possibility of intervention by Syria and Iran, at which point the USA will be compelled to intervene.

How will American voters respond if an aircraft carrier sinks to the bottom of the red sea two weeks prior to the election?

That's probably one of the big reasons why crime is falling, honestly.
Is crime actually falling or just underreported or underprosecuted?

Lots of people are getting away with actions ranging from shoplifting to traffic violations to being deadbeat dads, never mind white collar crime.

Stores like CVS and Safeway can feel awful, so many items are locked behind glass, and they set things up so that you can only leave or enter in specific ways, and the self-checkout machines always accuse you of shoplifting if you place your bananas down at the wrong angle.

I fear we're going to have a Trump Presidency for the dumbest possible reason.

The scenario I'm visualizing -- please critique away -- is that Netanyahu believes that there is no possibility that the USA will let Israel fall. So at some point soon, he is going to escalate. He is going to invade Lebanon. The fighting on the Israel/Lebanon weird is actually quite fierce right now.

If Netanyahu invades Lebanon, there is a significant possibility of intervention by Syria and Iran, at which point the USA will be compelled to intervene.

How will American voters respond if an aircraft carrier sinks to the bottom of the red sea two weeks prior to the election?
I wish this wasn't true, but I can easily see it happen. :(

Last edited:

LOL....Fishing for the youth vote.....and, TB fair, it's not just under 30s types who have been victimized by absurd educational costs. Remember the original infrastructure plan Biden supported that cut higher education costs and then got deep sixed by "moderates"? The cost of education is the root problem and these Mudder Fuggs don't even like the band aid. Look, Biden isn't the be all and end all and we need more, but if we can't even take some incremental, positive steps......

Trump has no idea how economics work. He's going to break this country beyond repair. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"