November 4th, 2008: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, and The Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting article from Newsweek with some insight into both campaigns.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/167581
:lmao: on Palin's spending sprees. Can't wait for the aftermath. :hehe: That poor woman certainly came off clueless in that article...

And :lmao: at Hilary and McCain downing shots together, along with Obama's remark about changing light bulbs in his house. :oldrazz:

I have a feeling that Al Franken will be the next Senator from Minnesota, now that his campaign has requested a recount. Absentee ballots will be factored into the race now, and the fact that Coleman only leads by a few hundred votes could present a window of opportunity there. The majority of those who cast absentee ballots are young voters, mostly college kids... so I am very interested to see what happens between now and the end of November, when this recount is expected to be finalized...

As for the House, I am VERY pleased that we got rid of two agents of intolerance, Bill "Absolute Idiot" Sali from Idaho, and Virgil "Muslims aren't real Americans" Goode of Virginia. However, I am upset that Nancy Boyda lost her bid for re-election, as she was a true reformer in Congress and could have done so much more given a little more time in office. Oh well-- you win some, you lose some.

Finally... Ted Stevens and Gordon Smith... those two are doing exceptionally well given the negative political environment against them. If Stevens is re-elected, he will be expelled from the Senate undoubtedly. If Smith is re-elected, I see him receiving a cabinet-level post in the Obama administration, which would allow Ted Kulongoski to appoint a presumably Democratic replacement.

It's going to be very interesting to see if Franken can pull it off. He should have a significant lead in absentee voting.

Nevermind my statement about Virgil "Muslims aren't real Americans" Goode... he is now ahead in his district by a hundred votes... with 100% of the precincts in.

Shays lost his seat to Jim Himes (D) here in CT....21 years...Shays is pretty much done with politics, his first interview afterwards showed that loud and clear....I bet Liebermann and Dodd just got a little nervous

I have a feeling that Al Franken will be the next Senator from Minnesota, now that his campaign has requested a recount. Absentee ballots will be factored into the race now, and the fact that Coleman only leads by a few hundred votes could present a window of opportunity there. The majority of those who cast absentee ballots are young voters, mostly college kids... so I am very interested to see what happens between now and the end of November, when this recount is expected to be finalized...

As for the House, I am VERY pleased that we got rid of two agents of intolerance, Bill "Absolute Idiot" Sali from Idaho, and Virgil "Muslims aren't real Americans" Goode of Virginia. However, I am upset that Nancy Boyda lost her bid for re-election, as she was a true reformer in Congress and could have done so much more given a little more time in office. Oh well-- you win some, you lose some.

Finally... Ted Stevens and Gordon Smith... those two are doing exceptionally well given the negative political environment against them. If Stevens is re-elected, he will be expelled from the Senate undoubtedly. If Smith is re-elected, I see him receiving a cabinet-level post in the Obama administration, which would allow Ted Kulongoski to appoint a presumably Democratic replacement.

I saw that Sali got ousted, jman. Know he's a favorite of yours. :hehe:

jag

Would Saturday Night Live make fun of Al Franken?

CNN PROJECTS: NORTH CAROLINA

With 100% of the precints reporting

MCCAIN: 49% (2,098,454)
OBAMA: 50% (2,110,322)

Shays lost his seat to Jim Himes (D) here in CT....21 years...Shays is pretty much done with politics, his first interview afterwards showed that loud and clear....I bet Liebermann and Dodd just got a little nervous

I could see Shays trying to run against Dodd in 2010. He would be competitive on the state level, even if he lost his Congressional district.

John Cornyn is re-elected, but it's closer then I thought. He won by 9% more.

The Republican Field in 2012 will suck. I heard the name Jindal last night as a possibilty and also Palin as well as Mitt Romney.

jeez...what took them so long?

CNN still hasn't said anything on air about it. It hasn't been changed on their map online either...but those are the numbers on cnn.com. It's so close that it might trigger an automatic recount.

STEVE CHABOT LOST HIS SEAT HERE IN OHIO! DRIEHAUS HAS OFFICIALLY WON! :applaud

Too bad Michele Bachmann got re-elected. :(

But hey, maybe Barack should tell his friends in Congress to investigate HER.

Would know that Jesse Jackson has to syphon off his last remaining moments of spotlight. He's on CNN right now proclaiming his love and support for Obama. It makes me sick.

Last edited:
I guess he doesn't want to cut his nuts off now.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is scheduled to meet with Sen. Joe Lieberman (ID-Conn.) on Thursday to discuss his future in the Senate Democratic Conference, according to a Democratic Senate source.

A growing number of Senate Democrats have been pressuring Reid to penalize Lieberman for aggressively backing Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) in this year’s presidential contest. At stake for Lieberman is his chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and his place in the Democratic Conference.

It remains unclear what Reid will say in his upcoming meeting with Lieberman, but Democrats believe he is inching toward at least wresting the Homeland Security gavel from him. Lieberman, who sides with Democrats on most issues except the war in Iraq, became one of McCain’s most ardent allies and one of President-elect Obama’s vocal critics this presidential season.

Senate Democrats were particularly incensed with their Connecticut colleague after his bruising speech during the GOP presidential convention, during which Lieberman went on the attack against Obama. Lieberman was Democratic Party’s vice presidential nominee in 2000.

Senate Democrats currently hold a 56-seat majority over Republicans, but the outcome of three races remains unclear. Even with a more powerful hand, the Democrats may still rely on Lieberman’s vote on key issues over the next two years.

Lieberman, in a statement Wednesday morning, didn’t address his future with Senate Democrats, but he pledged to work with all his colleagues to get things done.

“I sincerely congratulate President-elect Obama for his historic and impressive victory. America remains a nation of extraordinary opportunity and the American people are a people of extraordinary fairness," Lieberman wrote. "Now that the election is over, it is time to put partisan considerations aside and come together as a nation to solve the difficult challenges we face and make our blessed land stronger and safer. I pledge to work with President-elect Obama and his incoming administration in their efforts to reinvigorate our economy and keep our nation secure and free."

Ugh, I still can't fathom that Stevens might actually keep his seat.

the worst part is, he may be the lesser of two evils.

If he was to lose his seat, Alaska would have to appoint a temporary Senator until they could have a run off election for the seat. And guess who gets to appoint that person? The Governor. And the Governor can appoint themselves to that position. So you in effect could have Senator Sarah Palin in the next 6 months, temporarily at first but then permanently if she runs in the run-off for the Republicans. Considering those people just re-elected a convicted felon, she's be a shoe-in given her new "rock star" status up there now.

I think I saw somewhere that he will probably be expelled from the Senate. That's embarrassing as hell for him. It's like getting in trouble in high school or something. :hehe:

I think I saw somewhere that he will probably be expelled from the Senate. That's embarrassing as hell for him. It's like getting in trouble in high school or something. :hehe:

Mitch McConnell has said that Stevens WILL NOT be seated if he gets reelected.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is scheduled to meet with Sen. Joe Lieberman (ID-Conn.) on Thursday to discuss his future in the Senate Democratic Conference, according to a Democratic Senate source.

A growing number of Senate Democrats have been pressuring Reid to penalize Lieberman for aggressively backing Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) in this year’s presidential contest. At stake for Lieberman is his chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and his place in the Democratic Conference.

It remains unclear what Reid will say in his upcoming meeting with Lieberman, but Democrats believe he is inching toward at least wresting the Homeland Security gavel from him. Lieberman, who sides with Democrats on most issues except the war in Iraq, became one of McCain’s most ardent allies and one of President-elect Obama’s vocal critics this presidential season.

Senate Democrats were particularly incensed with their Connecticut colleague after his bruising speech during the GOP presidential convention, during which Lieberman went on the attack against Obama. Lieberman was Democratic Party’s vice presidential nominee in 2000.

Senate Democrats currently hold a 56-seat majority over Republicans, but the outcome of three races remains unclear. Even with a more powerful hand, the Democrats may still rely on Lieberman’s vote on key issues over the next two years.

Lieberman, in a statement Wednesday morning, didn’t address his future with Senate Democrats, but he pledged to work with all his colleagues to get things done.

“I sincerely congratulate President-elect Obama for his historic and impressive victory. America remains a nation of extraordinary opportunity and the American people are a people of extraordinary fairness," Lieberman wrote. "Now that the election is over, it is time to put partisan considerations aside and come together as a nation to solve the difficult challenges we face and make our blessed land stronger and safer. I pledge to work with President-elect Obama and his incoming administration in their efforts to reinvigorate our economy and keep our nation secure and free."

This is so incredibly immature. "Lets punish him because he disagreed with us!" I don't like Lieberman all that much, but I wish more politicans had the balls to stand up to their party like he did. No matter how much I disagree with his views, at least he did what he thought was right.

This is so incredibly immature. "Lets punish him because he disagreed with us!" I don't like Lieberman all that much, but I wish more politicans had the balls to stand up to their party like he did. No matter how much I disagree with his views, at least he did what he thought was right.

Was there any truth to the rumor that Lieby was McCain's 1st choice for VP but the Republicans told him he was freaking nuts and made him pick another candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"