Discussion: Media, The Press, Journalism, Cable News, Media Bias, and Other Media Issues

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StorminNorman, May 19, 2008.

?

Do you think the media is biased?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. StorminNorman Registered

http://www.politico.com/blogs/micha...eport_was_misleading_and_irresponsible__.html
    NBC once again shows that it can not be trusted as a news source, they have become a propaganda machine for the left.

FVD likes this.
  2. Handsome Rob Registered

So what? George Bush is still evil. :whatever:

Seriously, though, great post exposing blatant media bias yet again. :up:

3. Arkady Rossovich Registered

That's right,just because they show Bush as a fool..which he is. People get angry,NBC is great news.

4. Handsome Rob Registered

So, how do you like it when people edit what you say to completely change the meaning?

5. Superman4ever Registered

I love how the right-wing nuts denounce the media as "left". It's not left. If it were left they would have asked the tough questions prior to the Iraq war instead of regurgitating whatever the administration fed them.

Why isn't the media covering the story of the British soldiers caught, dressed in "Arab" garb planting a car bomb? There's a myriad of other stories not being covered. Why was the media barred from filming the arrival of dead soldiers?

They'd ask even TOUGHER questions regarding Iran, if they were left. The American media is a joke. Infotainment!

Please ALL major Hollywood studios have a pentagon office that "reviews" scripts.

Left wing (or free) media, my ass!

6. Superhobo Registered

It doesn't really seem like they edited out anything of importance from his first response - he still sounds like a mo.'

Alright, so - if we don't take those word SRSLY, then we might not take other words so SRSLY. And then BAM! Hitler's gotcha.

Yeesh.

7. The Senator Registered

So what did the final, aired interview entail? If anyone has links to a transcript, I'd like to see it, so I can make my own judgment on this. Mr. Gillespie isn't really the purveyor of objectivity himself.

8. Cosmic Mystic

They edited out 2 sentences that don't change anything, whatsoever. This whole argument is for people like Norman, who can be counted on to respond (in a predictable way) to the staple, rallying messages of the Right Wing. They fall back on these messages...when they get in trouble...in order to distract the masses from reading between the lines. They know that most people just don't have the time, nor inclination to pay attention to the details. It's much simpler and easier to just react to your own preconceived notions and assumptions. You think you're being skeptical and inquisitive, but you're really just following along behind someone else* who's thinking for you.

In this case, the message is that the liberal left-wing media is out to "deceive" us all, and undermine Fearless Leader's agenda of fighting the Global War on Terror. They give the appearance of objectivity and journalistic integrity, but in truth, they have their own (possibly subversive) agenda, which is demonstrated by the fact that they aired an interview with Fearless Leader which portrayed him in a false and unfair manner. This is what Ed Gillespie would have us believe.

Could it be that NBC has been infiltrated by al Qaeda? Or, possibly worse, the French?
    :huh::oldrazz:

*Someone like Ed Gillespie, who speak up for Bush when he screws up, or can't defend himself, either because he lacks the ability, or simply because he's too inept...he can't be allowed to potentially make the situation worse.

9. chaseter Esteemed Member

The man gave up golf to cope with the thousands of lives being lost in Iraq...he has had enough media ****es......................................................................(I can't put enough dots sorry)

10. MaskedManJRK Registered

Moral of the story: Everyone in said story sucks all around. To hell with them all, they're all liars.

11. Superman The Man Of Steel (Is #1)

Another Non-Issue made up by the Neo-Cons.:whatever:

12. rdh007 Brit Wannabe

C'mon Norm, you're better than this.

13. zenile Registered

Can't say it better than this.

14. Humpty Dumpty Registered

It would be more accurate to describe media bias not as left or right, but as “corporate.” In that, I mean that the way in which the reporting of a story in the mainstream media will be ultimately shaped is determined, first and foremost, by what will maximize profit for whatever news organization reported the story. It’s a very simple idea and is really the only sensible interpretation of the situation. Think about it: Would some magic honor code prevent GE, Time-Warner, and News Corporation from acting in a self-interested manner like every other corporation on the face of the Earth? The very obvious answer to that question is a resounding NO.

15. bell110 Drunk on Capitol Hill

Still better than Fox :O

16. SuBe Voluntaryist

17. StorminNorman Registered

Or it could mean that I find it outrageous a media outlet would doctor an interview to fit their own political agenda.

Yes, because changing the message of the President is nothing at all. If NBC can edit their interviews with anyone who disagrees with their political agenda, doesn't that give them a scary amount of control?

I am better than being outraged by outrageous behavior?

:whatever:

"You know, my policies haven't changed, but evidently the political calendar has. People need to read the speech. You didn't get it exactly right, either. What I said was is that we need to take the words of people seriously. And when, you know, a leader of Iran says that they want to destroy Israel, you've got to take those words seriously. And if you don't take them seriously, then it harkens back to a day when we didn't take other words seriously. It was fitting that I talked about not taking the words of Adolf Hitler seriously on the floor of the Knesset. But I also talked about the need to defend Israel, the need to not negotiate with the likes of al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Hamas. And the need to make sure Iran doesn't get a nuclear weapon."

The bold is the bit edited out.

18. Cosmic Mystic

It's not "doctoring." All they did was cut out a couple of throwaway lines. It happens all the time. It's called editing. You'd have a reason to complain if the lines that were cut actually added something worthwhile to his response, but they didn't.

On top of all that, the President completely evaded the question, which was very simple and straightforward. Now his handlers are turning the issue into a media bias question, in order to divert our attention from the fact that Bush can't support his position when challenged. This is called "bait and switch." You took the bait, and now you're focus is turned away from Bush's screw-up.

-"We need to take the words of people seriously." True, except when they're coming from Bush's mouth. Seriously.

-"...the need to defend Israel..." Israel is our ally. Of course we will defend them. That's always been our government's policy.

-"...the need to not negotiate with the likes of al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Hamas..." We don't negotiate with terrorists. That's government policy. I guess it makes you look tough to people who don't realize this, though...

-And, of course we don't want Iran to get nukes! Are we finished pretending to be dense, now? I mean, these policies haven't changed. Stating them now is irrelevant to the question of what (who) exactly was the aim of this attack. To me, it's basically like calling someone a traitor, without explicitly stating their name. It's made worse by the fact that it was done on foreign soil.

19. Mr Sparkle Registered

haha did anyone bother to watch the interview? it really doesn't change the context or makes anyone seem biased at all.
    maybe the letter should address the fact that Bush never answers the simple question

"Were you referring to Senator Barack Obama?"

and they get outraged? Bush never says a simple yes or no.
    hahaha the nerve!

20. fifthfiend M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Just for lulz I should go look up Normie's resposne to when the media edited Reverend Wright's entire career as a preacher down to four sentences. I'm sure he was really super concerned about media bias and presenting a fair and balanced accounting of the man's merits.

21. Superman The Man Of Steel (Is #1)

Oh get a grip.:whatever:

If you bothered to actually watch the damn thing you would know that what they took out didn't change a thing as far as Bush's double-talk response.

Like I said, Another Non-Issue made up by the Neo-Cons.:whatever:

22. Superman4ever Registered

23. Superman4ever Registered

:grin:

24. rdh007 Brit Wannabe

Firstly, Norm, I said you're better than this because the supposed media bias is a load of crap. It's a great ploy by Republicans, though, to get those who want to to believe that reality is shaded to their side and that the even though you see on the news that Republican policies for the most part suck; they really don't. More of the "don't look at the man behind the curtain" messaging from a group that is great at it. I envy you guys and your ruthless precision. I pray every day that the Democrats will eventually "get it."

Secondly, without seeing both the edited and unedited versions and only reading a letter from the White House, I can't help but be skeptical.

Thirdly, nothing goes together like the words "Bush" and "recession". They're like hot dogs and baseball, baby. I mean, the unemployment figures would be relevant if the jobs that were being created were either full time or decent paying or both. But they're clearly not.

Here's where my original point gets so interesting. I'm going to link to an article that backs up what I'm saying. But because the press has such a liberal bend to it, this article can easily be discounted. Genius! Whichever think tank came up with the liberal press (which is controlled by giant corporations) is horribly underpaid and overpaid all at once. :up:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Business/2008/04/02/unemployment_rate_misleading_analysts_say/6746/

25. SuBe Voluntaryist

It's Real