Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the President has very little influence over the education system. That is almost all the state except for some of the Federal funds that we get....I'm actually not arguing one way or the other on how the earth got here....you have yet to give me a good reason why I should care if my doctor or my President should have an absolute on this either...except that "they are miseducated or uneducated" well that is just silly...

I'm an advocate for policymakers who are more informed and educated about topics in science. It's silly to think that in this day and age they can make informed decisions without this knowledge, especially considering the increasing significance of these topics in our daily lives. It's not nearly as esoteric as some would choose to believe.

I demand every politician to have at least a 3.8 GPA in Accounting and Calculus from high school all the way to College. Otherwise they are not fit for office.

I also demand they have at least 12% body fat for males, and 18% body fat for females

I demand every politician to have at least a 3.8 GPA in Accounting and Calculus from high school all the way to College. Otherwise they are not fit for office.

I just want one who doesn't think that dinosaurs and people coexisted, and knows that the Earth is billions of years old.

You know, what I knew when I was 8.

Evidently, that's too much to ask for.

Yes, I am sure if Bush had not believed in Creationism, he would have made much better economic decisions. AND Dodd and Frank, had they just thought more about how they believe about when and how the earth was formed, would have made better economic decisions as well. But, alas, it didn't cross their minds....

Yes, I am sure if Bush had not believed in Creationism, he would have made much better economic decisions. AND Dodd and Frank, had they just thought more about how they believe about when and how the earth was formed, would have made better economic decisions as well. But, alas, it didn't cross their minds....

You're (perhaps intentionally) missing the point.

Someone showing such a lack of knowledge of (or interest in) science, is symptomatic of a lot of other things. Like a lack of critical thinking.

Though I'm hoping Rubio is simply pandering to the religious right. I find it hard to believe he's that uneducated. Bush on the other hand...

I just want one who doesn't think that dinosaurs and people coexisted, and knows that the Earth is billions of years old.

You know, what I knew when I was 8.

Evidently, that's too much to ask for.
I just want someone who believes 1+1=2 without using gimmicks to make it 3. You know, basic honest account.

Evidently, that's too much to ask for. From almost every single politician in D.C.

That said, I agree Rubio is not very smart and I don't like him.

I would rather them know what the hell to do with this economy, I don't really give a crap when they think the earth was formed, or how....

With all do respect a man who denies sound fact and science is not a man i want in charge of this country or myself. You can say it doesn't matter but it does. When a man looks fact in the face and denies it he is either in denial or lacks the mental ability to reason. Both possibilities bother me. In the 21 century the age of the earth and basic science should be accepted by all whether it falls within their purview or not.

What bothers me also is that this country is breeding the idea that you can accept whatever facts you want. Lets be clear. You can believe whatever you choose to, but can not pick your facts and discard those you dont like. Fact is fact with or without your opinion and belief. Fact is a proven constant. You can believe that a marshmellow being created us from his gooey goodness but you have to accept the fact that you are possibly crazy and accept the facts that science, evaluation, critical thinking, and experimentation have given to us. If you can not do that you are not employing critical thinking, reason, or logic. Everyone in this country needs to accept that some things are fact and not up to debate. Critical thought, evaluation, and experimentation are welcome, but the notion that we can decide what is fact is a dangerous idea that should be discouraged.

Last edited:
I just want someone who believes 1+1=2 without using gimmicks to make it 3. You know, basic honest account.

Evidently, that's too much to ask for. From almost every single politician in D.C.

This reminds me of an old business school joke.

A small midwestern savings and loan is looking for a new local branch manager. The human resources officer has narrowed it down to three candidates but from different backgrounds: an accountant, an investment manager and an economist from the Treasury Department.

The HR officer calls the final three candidates in for the final interview. She brings in the accountant first.

"Okay, the last question is a psychological one. It might seem kind of silly, but we use it to test your reaction."

The HR officer goes on: "What's two plus two?"

The accountant shrugs, and goes, "Four," and is sent on his way.

The HR officer calls in the investment manager and asks the same question: "What's two plus two?"

The investment manager chuckles, and says, "Four, of course," and is sent on his way.

Finally, she calls in the economist and asks the same question: "What's two plus two?"

The economist looks around, leans in close, and asks: "What do you want it to be?"

With all do respect a man who denies sound fact and science is not a man i want in charge of this country or myself. You can say it doesn't matter but it does. When a man looks fact in the face and denies it he is either in denial or lacks the mental ability to reason. Both possibilities bother me. In the 21 century the age of the earth and basic science should be accepted by all whether it falls within their purview or not.

What bothers me also is that this country is breeding the idea that you can accept whatever facts you want. Lets be clear. You can believe whatever you choose to, but belief is not the same as fact. What you believe may not be fact. Fact is fact with or without your opinion and belief. Fact is a proven constant. Everyone in this country needs to accept that some things are fact and not up to debate. Critical thought, evaluation, and experimentation are welcome, but the notion that we can decide what is fact is a dangerous idea that should be discouraged.

And you can say that it does matter, and I can say that it doesn't matter to me...and look, we are back where we started...Not one time have I debated the facts of evolution, creationism, or anything else....I simply said, it doesn't matter to me what the President thinks. So, the fact that you keep saying...."fact is fact", doesn't really matter me. That's my fact. :yay:

And you can say that it does matter, and I can say that it doesn't matter to me...and look, we are back where we started...Not one time have I debated the facts of evolution, creationism, or anything else....I simply said, it doesn't matter to me what the President thinks. So, the fact that you keep saying...."fact is fact", doesn't really matter me. That's my fact. :yay:

No that is your opinion that it doesnt matter. It is proven fact that a man denying science is denying critical thought and reason. As history has proven that is a dangerous thing. The dark ages alone attest to the simple fact that men forgoing critical thought, reason, and logic in the face of fear and superstition can be the undoing of society and civilization. So factually speaking based on human history to deny facts can lead to problems.

This reminds me of an old business school joke.

A small midwestern savings and loan is looking for a new local branch manager. The human resources officer has narrowed it down to three candidates but from different backgrounds: an accountant, an investment manager and an economist from the Treasury Department.

The HR officer calls the final three candidates in for the final interview. She brings in the accountant first.

"Okay, the last question is a psychological one. It might seem kind of silly, but we use it to test your reaction."

The HR officer goes on: "What's two plus two?"

The accountant shrugs, and goes, "Four," and is sent on his way.

The HR officer calls in the investment manager and asks the same question: "What's two plus two?"

The investment manager chuckles, and says, "Four, of course," and is sent on his way.

Finally, she calls in the economist and asks the same question: "What's two plus two?"

The economist looks around, leans in close, and asks: "What do you want it to be?"
That's a pretty depressing joke :csad:

No that is your opinion that it doesnt matter. It is proven fact that a man denying science is denying critical thought and reason. As history has proven that is a dangerous thing. The dark ages alone attest to the simple fact that men forgoing critical thought, reason, and logic in the face of fear and superstition were the undoing of society and civilization.

No...no...no. I was saying that, the fact that it does not matter to me, is the fact that I care about. That is a fact, I do not care how the President thinks on those issues. Now, you can disagree with me, and that's fine. Doesn't change my mind, but more power to ya...Sorry, but whether or not someone agrees that the earth was formed 5.45 billion years ago, doesn't really matter to me...nor does it change a vote. There are far more pressing things for me at the moment that will change my vote. Now, did I have to reprimand a teacher that I was mentoring because he refused to teach evolution in his class? yes I did...because it is part of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, better known as our TEKS, therefore he had to teach it....he now teaches robotics...: ), he worked for NASA, he just happens to be a Christian genius... : / oh well, he now is teaching some of the next generation of engineers, and doing a damn good job of it. OMG, he's a Christian, those engineers and everything they create DOOOOOOMED. *shakes head*

I don't believe in science. I believe in engineering.

I believe....that the best way to debate is to always take the opposite side. : ) Yes, it pisses my kids off in the classroom as well. Love it....

No...no...no. I was saying that, the fact that it does not matter to me, is the fact that I care about. That is a fact, I do not care how the President thinks on those issues. Now, you can disagree with me, and that's fine. Doesn't change my mind, but more power to ya...Sorry, but whether or not someone agrees that the earth was formed 5.45 billion years ago, doesn't really matter to me...nor does it change a vote. There are far more pressing things for me at the moment that will change my vote.

How can you trust him to deal with those more pressing issues with critical thought when he is showing a lack of it here?

It isnt that he doesnt know the age of the earth. The problem is what his comment say about him. It says he is a man who will deny fact and say whatever to accommodate a larger base. How can you trust him to fix our problems with that in mind? Picking and choosing ones facts is a slippery slope and could lead him to pick and choose his facts in more pressing areas like for instance the economy. Can you trust a man like that with the economy?

How can you trust him to deal with those more pressing issues with critical thought when he is showing a lack of it here?

It isnt that he doesnt know the age of the earth. The problem is what his comment say about him. It says he is a man who will deny fact and say whatever to accommodate a larger base. How can you trust him to fix our problems with that in mind? Picking and choosing ones facts is a slippery slope and could lead him to pick and choose his facts in more pressing areas like for instance the economy. Can you trust a man like that with the economy?

Well, hell Marvolo, how can you trust ANYTHING a politician says....about anything, at anytime or anyone for that matter, so you look at their voting record, you look at the committees they were a part of, you look at their experience in the political realm,....whether or not he thinks about the age of the earth, or thinks one way or the other....sorry, just not that important to me.

No...no...no. I was saying that, the fact that it does not matter to me, is the fact that I care about. That is a fact, I do not care how the President thinks on those issues. Now, you can disagree with me, and that's fine. Doesn't change my mind, but more power to ya...Sorry, but whether or not someone agrees that the earth was formed 5.45 billion years ago, doesn't really matter to me...nor does it change a vote. There are far more pressing things for me at the moment that will change my vote. Now, did I have to reprimand a teacher that I was mentoring because he refused to teach evolution in his class? yes I did...because it is part of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, better known as our TEKS, therefore he had to teach it....he now teaches robotics...: ), he worked for NASA, he just happens to be a Christian genius... : / oh well, he now is teaching some of the next generation of engineers, and doing a damn good job of it. OMG, he's a Christian, those engineers and everything they create DOOOOOOMED. *shakes head*

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

That's just plain crazy.

How can it NOT matter that the President thinks that way. Because it's basically defining his character as being religious or scientific in his thinking and approach to policy (all policy), and how he was educated and raised. And even how much he's willing to pander, or not pander, to various elements of his party.

Now, I'm not saying whether it's good or bad, or if you can't agree or can't disagree with what he's saying (it all depends on your beliefs where that falls in relation to what was said), but to say it doesn't matter is naive.

Well, hell Marvolo, how can you trust ANYTHING a politician says....about anything, at anytime or anyone for that matter, so you look at their voting record, you look at the committees they were a part of, you look at their experience in the political realm,....whether or not he thinks about the age of the earth, or thinks one way or the other....sorry, just not that important to me.

What scares me the most personally is he said and i quote "it should all be taught." No it should not. In school from beginning to end the kids need to learn a standardized curriculum that is up to date and in agreement with fact. If the parents want to teach their children about the bible or some other mythology at home i am perfectly fine with that, but i do not want teachers wasting their time and the students time by using up what little time schools have to teach our children about the bible. The fact he shows a disregard for critical thought and supports the teaching of all kinds of ideas that fly in the face of critical thought and facts bothers me.

Personally I prefer the outspoken creationist to the politician who says "it should all be taught".

At least the creationist is being upfront with you.

What scares me the most personally is he said and i quote "it should all be taught." No it should not. In school from beginning to end the kids need to learn a standardized curriculum that is up to date and in agreement with fact. If the parents want to teach their children about the bible or some other mythology at home i am perfectly fine with that, but i do not want teachers wasting their time and the students time by using up what little time schools have to teach our children about the bible. The fact he shows a disregard for critical thought and supports the teaching of all kinds of ideas that fly in the face of critical thought and facts bothers me.

Yes, because we have NEVER taught mythology...

You're suggesting they should teach Christian mythology... the same way they teach Greek mythology?

I'd be totally for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"