Discussion: The Spread of Fascism/Theocracy/Authoritarianism

I was joking but people who want to turn the United States into Russia should just move to Russia.

Simple.
You can visit other countries, want better relations with other countries without wanting to turn America into those countries.

I just visited Italy. Doesn't mean I want America to turn into Italy.

(Though to be honest I wouldn't mind if we copied some of their farm policies, or whatever it is that makes their food taste better :-) )

Regardless, taking away passports Willy nilly is illegal, and is part of Biden's drive to totalitarianism.

You can visit other countries, want better relations with other countries without wanting to turn America into those countries.

I just visited Italy. Doesn't mean I want America to turn into Italy.

(Though to be honest I wouldn't mind if we copied some of their farm policies, or whatever it is that makes their food taste better :-) )

Regardless, taking away passports Willy nilly is illegal, and is part of Biden's drive to totalitarianism.
Is he just a random tourist traveling or is he a mouth piece for Putin?

He has free speech but if he thinks Putin is so great he should just move to Russia. He can get a job with their state run media since they don't have free press.

That goes for Tucker Carlson and Trump also.

Is he just a random tourist traveling or is he a mouth piece for Putin?

He has free speech but if he thinks Putin is so great he should just move to Russia. He can get a job with their state run media since they don't have free press.

That goes for Tucker Carlson and Trump also.
That's a totalitarian attitude. It should be ok in the USA for people to disagree with the mainstream narrative. Even if you think that the chance that you're wrong is only 1%, you have to allow it.

From my understanding, he was going to visit different parts of Russia to increase communication and awareness between Americans and Russians.

And finally, he clearly doesn't have free speech. They took away his passport because they don't like what he's saying.

That's a totalitarian attitude. It should be ok in the USA for people to disagree with the mainstream narrative. Even if you think that the chance that you're wrong is only 1%, you have to allow it.

From my understanding, he was going to visit different parts of Russia to increase communication and awareness between Americans and Russians.

And finally, he clearly doesn't have free speech. They took away his passport because they don't like what he's saying.
I'm not forcing anyone to go to Russia. It's just a firm suggestion. If you want to praise and defend Putin's dictatorship then leave us alone and go join his regime.

I don't believe this dude lost his passport for licking Putin's boot. He could easily sue the government for violating his constitutional rights. And it would be all over Fox News.

I'm not forcing anyone to go to Russia. It's just a firm suggestion. If you want to praise and defend Putin's dictatorship then leave us alone and go join his regime.

I don't believe this dude lost his passport for licking Putin's boot. He could easily sue the government for violating his constitutional rights. And it would be all over Fox News.
I don't bother to read the posts that you're responding to anymore, but my take is that there are people out there who don't care that much about oppressive political structures and a lot of them are in the US. This isn't new. There was a strong fascist movement in the US before WW2. More recently, most of the authoritarian bigots hid under their rocks until it became okay to be such and now we see them rearing their heads.

Now, this isn't to say there isn't political repression in the US, but. please, don't compare the press or judicial systems in some of these authoritarian countries to the structures in the US. We see a broad cross range of opinions in the media and people aren't being jailed unless they cross the free speech lines. Compare that to not calling a war a war and, instead it must be called a special military operation or some such garbage.

So, bottom line is that we both know people can't be extradited because they think Putin is a great guy and, in a very real way, it's important that people have a right to speak out. Do many of those people face oppression? Yes, but free speech is maybe the most important aspect of this country because it allows for public discourse of an "engaged" electorate. Most of the people who follow Trump or defend his authoritarian "friends" in other countries, seem to miss the fact that once you give up the struggle for a true public voice, you can be next. Angela Davis once wrote a book called "If They Come in the Morning" and that phrase is at least as appropriate now as it was then.

Russia has, and has had, a deformed political structure that undid a lot of possible good. I'd rather wake up in the morning in a Joe Biden type of political structure than I would under a Trump or Putin regime. For those that disagree, listen to Trump's latest tirades or Putin's actions against those who express a different view of the future of Russia. If you have a problem with the judicial or political structures in the US, so do I, but you can't base your opinions based on winning or losing. If you were convicted and are calling it a farce, you better have a damn good reason for doing so. Ditto for lost elections.

He could easily sue the government for violating his constitutional rights. And it would be all over Fox News.
Come on, that's not true. You need a lot of money and a lot of luck to sue the government.

In general, I do think that "move" is insensitive advice. People aren't just isolated atoms, they're members of communities. People have families and friends and habits, it's really hard to move.

Even switching states within the country is hard. I might move to a different state soon and I'm feeling guilty about my children losing their friends.

I don't bother to read the posts that you're responding to anymore,
Though you continuously brag about having put me on ignore (which is immature, and I believe against forum rules), the fact is you have frequently responded to the contents of my posts, and done so in detail.

I myself think that different views are necessary in general, and in the specific case of this community I think that all of the active posters come from a place of sincerity and good will.

I will continue to read and respond to your posts.

It is not against forum rules to put someone on ignore or it wouldn't be possible to do so. It's better to have someone on ignore rather than get bogged down into an argument that could lead to a potential banning. ;)

It is not against forum rules to put someone on ignore or it wouldn't be possible to do so. It's better to have someone on ignore rather than get bogged down into an argument that could lead to a potential banning. ;)
The ignore function is part of the forum, but it's problematic to brag over and over and over and over again that you have someone on ignore.

Did I write something wrong? Am I not supposed to say that I'm ignoring someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"