Disney CEO Bob Iger confirms that The Marvel Cinematic Universe will go on forever

I'm suing his *** off the day after the heat death of the universe. Forever my perfectly sculpted rear end!

*steals TARDIS*
*flies to the end of everything*
*comes back*
It's true, they're still making them then

Last edited:
You can really keep it going as long as you want, even if they do soft reboots and recasting. You can adjust the timelines just like with the comics.

I mean, they have literally been making Star Trek media and James Bond for over 50 years. Marvel films could very well go that long.

Yeah, I think they could if they play their cards right. As long as they keep offering something new/refreshing, like different genres. They could even give characters that aren't very big right now in the comics a push years in advance, and maybe introduce them in another movie first. That way audiences will be familiar with them already.

Yeah, I think they could if they play their cards right. As long as they keep offering something new/refreshing, like different genres. They could even give characters that aren't very big right now in the comics a push years in advance, and maybe introduce them in another movie first. That way audiences will be familiar with them already.

That's exactly what they're doing. Black Panther is showing up in another film first, Inhumans are getting a major comic and television push ahead of the movie, etc. I half expect to see Marvel/Disney attempt something with Devil Dinosaur (that dino's got a new comic and a surprising amount of recent videogame appearances).

*Marvel makes another billions in Box Office with New Avengers*

"This money I like it.'

*Smashes DVD on The Ground*

"ANOTHER!"

Of course you aren't going to reboot the MCU, but eventually you have to retire human characters like Stark and Rogers. That is inevitable. That's not to say you can't squeeze in some Stark pre-Iron Man prequel films, or some tweener films (adventures of Iron Man in between Avengers movies), but these films are going to take place in the past, as the timeline will keep moving forward. They will have to add some time travel element if they want to bring back Tony Stark. Realistically, the franchise will follow his kids or some protege character, ala Star Wars. Stark is basically Han Solo at this point. Tony Stark/RDJ is untouchable, perhaps more so than Ford/Solo in cinematic lore. It's dead even. As far as Steve Rogers, the character was retired in the comics, so don't expect Chris Evans to be doing Cap movies in his 50's starring in "The Cap Returns". Not gonna happen, not an iconic enough character to keep regurgitating or reinventing.

I'm pretty sure they'll eventually "soft reboot" in a way that can keep the overall continuity while fiddling with things like timeline and casting. Why so confident, you ask? Simple. Fifty years from now people will still want to see Peter Parker lead a Spider-Man movie. We'll probably get Miles at some point, but I don't see them constantly going the legacy route. In 2066 there will still be a desire to see Peter Parker swing through New York, and it won't be as a senior citizen trying to get to Perkins for the Early Bird Special.

You can really keep it going as long as you want, even if they do soft reboots and recasting. You can adjust the timelines just like with the comics.

I mean, they have literally been making Star Trek media and James Bond for over 50 years. Marvel films could very well go that long.

Yep. Feige has already said they are going to 'James Bond it' and recast as well.

I'm pretty sure they'll eventually "soft reboot" in a way that can keep the overall continuity while fiddling with things like timeline and casting. Why so confident, you ask? Simple. Fifty years from now people will still want to see Peter Parker lead a Spider-Man movie. We'll probably get Miles at some point, but I don't see them constantly going the legacy route. In 2066 there will still be a desire to see Peter Parker swing through New York, and it won't be as a senior citizen trying to get to Perkins for the Early Bird Special.

Yeah, I doubt that. Some people already have Spider-Man fatigue. Too much of a good thing can be bad. Like Bob Iger pointed out, Marvel has THOUSANDS of characters to use. Granted most of them are minor characters, but I bet Marvel could at least make movies off of 50 new characters. Screwing with the timeline would mess up the continutiy Marvel has worked so hard in creating. I suppose a reboot would be necessary depending on how long Marvel is around, but not in the immediate future. If Marvel can't possibly do without Iron Man or Cap, then have some in-universe explanation to explain to explain why Iron Man has de-aged, such as the Time Stone.

Yep. Feige has already said they are going to 'James Bond it' and recast as well.

Those comments where in reference to Iron Man. And, I don't even see that as an absolute. Plans change, they always do. Feige and The Russos have talked about bringing some characters to the forefront and leaving some behind. This doesn't necessarily mean killing off some of the older heroes, but maybe keeping them in the universe, but just focusing on other heroes instead. The Russos also remarked on how "everything is finite and nothing lasts forever."

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/11/the-russo-brothers-tease-new-avengers-characters-for-infinity-wa

Marvel has thousands of characters. Sony doesn't. Peter Parker is here to stay.

Marvel has thousands of characters. Sony doesn't. Peter Parker is here to stay.

Well, if Tom Holland can't play Peter anymore, they still have Miles Morales, Gwen Stacy, Cindy Moon, Kaine, Ben Reilly, Miguel O'Hara, May Parker, Anya Corazon, Ultimate Jessica Drew, Otto Octavius, Julia Carpenter, Mattie Franklin and many more to potentially follow. I'd say that's enough characters to keep a Spider-Person active in the MCU for a couple of years.

Don't kid yourself, they'll burn through some of those during Holland's tenure. All indications are that we're getting annual Spider-Man films (the 2018 film is an animated one, though). Sony's still planning on doing those spinoff films eventually. Marvel and Sony even renewed "Sinister Six" for use in film, though I seriously doubt the Goddard film is back on.

"I did the right thing, didn't I? It all worked out in the end."

"In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

You can talk about Marvel mixing different genres into the MCU, but what if what goes out of fashion is shared universes themselves?

Shared universes won't go out of fashion. People like to pretend Marvel invented the concept, but they really didn't. Television has done it with loads of success, the comics themselves were always fond of it, Stephen King does it, etc. It's basically a timeless concept.

Indeed. And people like to think this is just some "superhero phenomena" destined to die out soon, which isn't true either. The superhero genre is like any other, as long as the films are good we'll keep paying to see them.

So if they keep their game tight I could definitely see the franchise continuing on and on. Same for DC & their cinematic universe. Why not?

Don't kid yourself, they'll burn through some of those during Holland's tenure. All indications are that we're getting annual Spider-Man films (the 2018 film is an animated one, though). Sony's still planning on doing those spinoff films eventually. Marvel and Sony even renewed "Sinister Six" for use in film, though I seriously doubt the Goddard film is back on.

Even if they use some of them while Holland's still Parker, they can keep those characters around after Holland leaves. Plus, even if they use one or two, there's still many more they could use. I doubt they will have, say, three Spiders running around at once.

Nobody except for diehard Spider-Man fans want to see a Sinister Six film. Marvel hasn't endorsed such a terrible idea of a film. There are much more important characters to get their won film instead of making a film about a bunch of villains. The Sinister Six was just another awful idea by Sony because the only hero they have the rights to is Spider-Man. The MCU doesn't even need Spider-Man. The MCU has thrived without Spider-Man and will continue to do so after he's gone. With that being said, Spider-Man is here for the forseeable future, and I could see him eventually being replaced by Miles, Silk, and possibly Spider-Gwen. There is also Spider-Woman(Jessica Drew), although I'm not sure who actually owns the her as she doesn't really fit into Spider-Man's world.

I still maintain that a Sinister 6 film would have worked. I hate it when people say "Nobody but diehard fans would want to see such and such film". That arguments been disproved time and time again.

Also, Sony had plenty of other heroes tied in with Spidey. Agent Venom, Cloak and Dagger, heck even Puma or Cardiac could be made into amazing movies. But now that Spidey's at Marvel, Agent Venom is the only one that really stands a chance of happening. Either way, I think it's a safe bet they plan to keep Holland in the role for a good long time.

Cloak and Dagger were never attached to the Spider-Man film rights. Sony doesn't have them. Marvel was actually developing them for television at one time.

Last edited:
I still maintain that a Sinister 6 film would have worked. I hate it when people say "Nobody but diehard fans would want to see such and such film". That arguments been disproved time and time again.

Not really. The closest would be the Guardians, but they're not even villains. Considering that Marvel has tons of heroes that have not made it to the silver screen and Marvel does not have the best track record with villains, A Sinister 6 movie would be a bad move. Marvel movies are about the heroes, not the villains.

Sony can make a stupid Sinister 6 movie if they like, but keep that nonsense away from the MCU, please.

That's exactly what they're doing. Black Panther is showing up in another film first, Inhumans are getting a major comic and television push ahead of the movie, etc.

This is true, but Black Panther and the Inhumans were already pretty big. I think they could totally do films like "Darkhawk", "Machine Man", "Firebird", "Starbrand and Nightmask", "Eternals", "Morbius", "GLA", "Killraven", "Starstalker", you name it, if they play it smart.

I could see him eventually being replaced by Miles, Silk, and possibly Spider-Gwen. There is also Spider-Woman(Jessica Drew), although I'm not sure who actually owns the her as she doesn't really fit into Spider-Man's world.
Well, if it will actually keep to the promise of going on forever, they could introduce Mayday twenty-something years from now, and Miguel in 2099 :woot:

btw, Sony could also potentially use Agent Venom, Silver Sable, Prowler, Man-Wolf, Mania and Scorn, right?

Last edited:

Also, Sony had plenty of other heroes tied in with Spidey. Agent Venom, Cloak and Dagger, heck even Puma or Cardiac could be made into amazing movies. But now that Spidey's at Marvel, Agent Venom is the only one that really stands a chance of happening. Either way, I think it's a safe bet they plan to keep Holland in the role for a good long time.

A sinister six film could definitely work, but not under Sony pre-hack. ASM 2 was proof positive of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"