Disney+

Like I've said elsewhere, I predict that 5-10 years down the road, the streaming market will largely contract down to Netflix, Disney+, and whatever WB is calling their service at that point. Maybe a fourth one composed largely of "Everyone else who was too small to really compete, but doesn't want to sell out to one of the titans".

Apple TV and Amazon Prime will also still be around, and probably still in their odd sideline "We aren't as important but we don't need to be" state. Everyone else will have got out or sold out, because a successful streaming business is not easy, and its doubly not easy when you are competing with everyone who already got in earlier and already has an established audience and business model.

( Note, this is for large, general purpose streaming. Smaller niche services will be fine, but they aren't competing with Netflix or Disney+ anyway. )

Like I've said elsewhere, I predict that 5-10 years down the road, the streaming market will largely contract down to Netflix, Disney+, and whatever WB is calling their service at that point. Maybe a fourth one composed largely of "Everyone else who was too small to really compete, but doesn't want to sell out to one of the titans".

Apple TV and Amazon Prime will also still be around, and probably still in their odd sideline "We aren't as important but we don't need to be" state. Everyone else will have got out or sold out, because a successful streaming business is not easy, and its doubly not easy when you are competing with everyone who already got in earlier and already has an established audience and business model.

( Note, this is for large, general purpose streaming. Smaller niche services will be fine, but they aren't competing with Netflix or Disney+ anyway. )
I can agree with this mostly. One thing I do think will happen, is instead of a big "fourth other" service, each of those "smaller services" will end up at the bigger ones. Like Paramount's content will be on Disney or Netflix. Same with Comcast, so on and so forth. Kind of like how the WWE Network is now on Peacock and Disney has the UFC.

With Disney+ releasing Black Widow, Luca, and Cruella on streaming....they are in the same exact pool as WB. WB just announced it earlier and all at once.

So I’m guessing the Premiere Access strategy is somewhat working for them to use this on BW?

So I’m guessing the Premiere Access strategy is somewhat working for them to use this on BW?

I think its probably decent but they probably also look at it as being more "prestigious" in a sense that people have to pay additional money to see it instead of it being free like HBOM is doing.

Honestly, Black Widow is the one movie that I would consider dropping $30 for. Same with Shang Chi and Eternals even though they’re “untested” superhero movies without a built in fan base.

I can agree with this mostly. One thing I do think will happen, is instead of a big "fourth other" service, each of those "smaller services" will end up at the bigger ones. Like Paramount's content will be on Disney or Netflix. Same with Comcast, so on and so forth. Kind of like how the WWE Network is now on Peacock and Disney has the UFC.

Its certainly plausible, hence the "maybe". I'm just leaving open the option that they might not want to sell out to Netflix, Disney, or WB, and there being enough of those middling studios that they could assemble together and form a vaguely competitive platform *if* they united. Which is no guarantee of course. If all your Paramounts and CBSes and such spend too long insisting that they too can be their own network, the industry might be too solidified by the time they realize otherwise.

Its certainly plausible, hence the "maybe". I'm just leaving open the option that they might not want to sell out to Netflix, Disney, or WB, and there being enough of those middling studios that they could assemble together and form a vaguely competitive platform *if* they united. Which is no guarantee of course. If all your Paramounts and CBSes and such spend too long insisting that they too can be their own network, the industry might be too solidified by the time they realize otherwise.
I just think in terms of cost and income, it will be the most viable solution. But we will see.

I'll drop $30 for any of the MCU or Star Wars movies, especially since I'm not vaccinated yet.
Hope you get vaccinated soon man. :up:

That’s what I’m expecting to happen.

Sadly, Disney have no upcoming movie I'd be willing to pay extra for. While I want to see the new MCU films, I'm happy to wait for them.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any major backlash to this as with WB, despite the fact it's clearly the most sensible thing to do throughout 2021.

Disney Plus raising prices for the first time in the U.S. to $7.99 a month from the current $6.99 starting on March 26. (Variety)

Does anyone have any issues launching Disney + on TVs? It’s fine anywhere else but otherwise the TV app (on 2 different TVs ) often doesn’t load at all and just gives me a blue screen. It’s not internet as Amazon Prime and Netflix always work fine.

Sadly, Disney have no upcoming movie I'd be willing to pay extra for. While I want to see the new MCU films, I'm happy to wait for them.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any major backlash to this as with WB, despite the fact it's clearly the most sensible thing to do throughout 2021.

Yeah I find the idea of paying $30 to stream a new movie that will be free on their service a few months later the height of absurdity. Not to trash Eternals or anything, but I can wait for Eternals, and I'd probably rather see it on the big screen first anyway.

Does anyone have any issues launching Disney + on TVs? It’s fine anywhere else but otherwise the TV app (on 2 different TVs ) often doesn’t load at all and just gives me a blue screen. It’s not internet as Amazon Prime and Netflix always work fine.
I'm not sure what kind of TV's you have, but in general, smart TV apps have a bad rep for being slow and glitchy, which is why a lot of people like myself who own smart TV's still end up shelling out for separate devices (Roku, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, Chromecast, etc) to stream from.

I think the day and date streaming works better on family movies because $30 is a bargain for a large family. Since MCU skews older then I guess theatrical only makes more sense (but I still like the option)

When it's a family I get when it's one person who has AMC A-List it would only cost them what maybe 15 dollars counting snacks cause the movie is pretty much free

May gonna be Meh for me...

I have zero interest in Bad Batch and the rest is for the 10-16 teenager group. I even wonder if the script of the Icehockey show and the basketball show is the same, they just switched the sport.

I would see Cruella because I love Emma Stone but that need the premier access so Im conflicted. There is clearly a hole in May, which was originally filled with the Black Widow movie imo.

I'm going to say that the shows are very different. Mighty Ducks is wonderful, though. John Stamos' show looks much more dramatic.

I don't think there is a hole, given Black Widow was never intended for a premier access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"