Do general audiences know what the MCU is?

Indeed. I suppose the better question is when they see Marvel (but Marvel Studios) in front of Logan or next year's Venom movie (God help us), will they know the difference? That is where I think there is some confusion, but not as much as there used to be.

I think they do. Just like they don't confuse X-Men as being part of this universe.

I think it's especially clear between DCEU and MCU, but it's about to get a little more confusing on the MCU side in the next week or so. :cwink:

It's difficult to say definitively "yes" or "no". It should be obvious at this point that the world of the Avengers is a multi-layered one. However, I don't think all casual viewers are clear on the fact that there are Marvel movies that aren't part of the MCU.

I think people have a pretty strong brand association with Marvel at this point. I'm not sure how well known it is that X-Men and Deadpool aren't under the banner of the MCU, but people ought to know the MCU by its own characters after having been watching their movies for nearly a decade. The Spider-Man revolving door probably helped in that regard, funnily enough. People instinctively knew that the new Spiderman was different not just because he was played by a different actor but because he was standing next to Iron Man.

I'd guess 20% don't know, but that number is dwindling yearly.

No but this is comics in general, my Uncle asked me the other day why Black Panther and Iron Man aren't in Injustice 2. My dad doesn't know who Ant-Man or GOTG are but he watches the Avengers and Captain America movies.

Last edited:
Five years ago I'd have said no, but I think that the generally poor critical reception for the DCEU (excluding Wonder Woman) with many of those reviews making specifically targeted comparisons with the MCU style of film-making has increased GA awareness considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"