Cinematic Civil War (Galactic Edition): MCU vs Star Wars

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
Little experiment here. That MCU vs DCCU thread has blown up. Not all of it is positive, but in general, fairly good-natured criticism of both film-universes. But it's a little one-sided so far, being that DC has barely kicked off their universe and its been a bumpy start...

So lets compare the MCU with another well established franchise. One owned by the same parent company and adored by most cinephiles and nerds alike.

How successful are these franchises? Which will better withstand the test of time? How do they fare with modern audiences? Which movie(s) is/are more deserving of critical praise?

To quote ernesth100 (who started the other thread):
NOTE:
-This is not meant to start serious arguments but more so watch debates and news unfold about which Cinematic Universe is more succesful.
-Feel free too(if you want)choose a side. Simply Marvel or Star Wars.
-If you feel like it you can debate or just discuss and compare, just don't turn in to a eleven year old(i.e. cursing out someone just because when they state their opinion)when doing so.
-This does not include Fox or Sony Marvel Non-MCU films.

As far as match ups, it looks like we'll only be getting one Star Wars film a year for a while, but it goes something like this:
2015 - Age of Ultron/Ant-Man vs Ep VII: The Force Awakens
2016 - Civil War/Doctor Strange vs Rogue One
2017 - GotG2/Spider-Man:Homecoming/Thor:Ragnarok vs Ep VIII: The Last Jedi
2018 - Black Panther/Avengers: Infinity War/Ant-Man and the Wasp vs Han Solo

So, what do you think?

star-wars-v-avengers-1-1.jpg

I would say that the Force Awakens is of comparable quality to the MCU films. It can be enjoyed once and mildly enjoyed. After that, the absence of depth makes it a boring experience.

Rogue One however is a notch above the MCU films, or at least on par with the best films. It has more depth which is nice. It also has something we never see in the Star Wars: interesting design, cinematography, action choreography, etc. Those technical aspects matter.

I just cannot get into Star Wars and I have seen all of the films and I just think its the most overrated film franchise ever. Its always about the heroes versus an evil space empire and I just don't find it very exciting. While there's more variety and flavors in Marvel. So easy pick here, Marvel any day.

So personally, I didn't love Rogue One. Liked, but not loved. I'd say there's an easy 5 or 6 MCU films I prefer to Rogue One.

I am going to say, as it stands, I definitely prefer the bulk of the MCU films to Disney's Star Wars films. But when it comes to the original trilogy vs the top tier of the MCU, that's where things get tricky.

A New Hope vs The Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy
Empire Strikes Back vs Civil War

These are not easy questions for me to answer.

Last edited:
imo, I'd say Force Awakens is around the level of Dr Strange... good, but feels overly familiar. Nothing groundbreaking, but competent and satisfying blockbuster film-making
Haven't seen R1 yet, but I'd place Avengers, Iron Man, IM3, TWS, Guardians, and CW all above everything but New Hope and ESB

that said, going forward, the Star Wars films will match each year's top-grossing Marvel film, if for no other reason than the huge amount of cultural cachet it has built up

The Star Wars trilogy is great, and I liked Force Awakens a lot just as everyone did until a couple of months ago (fickle fans kill me).

Rogue One however, demonstrated the limitations of this series as a "universe". I am already exhausted by the prospect of a new film every year and none of the planned/rumoured spin-offs so far sound interesting at all.

The MCU wins.

Even getting down to the numbers, Star Wars doesn't fare much better.

MCU - 8.46 fourteen movies in
Captain America: Civil War - 10
The Avengers - 10
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 9.5
Doctor Strange - 9.5
The Incredible Hulk - 9.0
Iron Man - 9.0
Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.5
The Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8.5
Ant-Man - 8.0
Iron Man 2 - 8.0
Captain America: The First Avenger - 7.5
Iron Man 3 - 7.5
Thor: The Dark World - 7.0
Thor - 6.5
SWCU - 7.50 eight movies in
A New Hope - 10
Empire Strikes Back - 10
Return of the Jedi - 10
Force Awakens - 9.0
Rogue One - 7.5
Revenge of the Sith - 5.5
Attack of the Clones - 4.0
The Phantom Menace - 4.0
I think I prefer Marvel to Star Wars guys... O_O

What a strange realization.

Well, going by the two years since Star Wars has been resurrected, I would rank the films as follows:

1. Civil War
2. Rogue One
3. Dr. Strange
4. Ant-Man
5. The Force Awakens
6. Age of Ultron

Star Wars is my favorite movie franchise; that isn't even a contest for me.

I liked TFA and R1, although I found R1 extremely lacking in character development.

But if we are talking about the "universe" of SW, do we take in the entire universe, including the prequels, which are horrid? Also what about the MCU Netflix shows, and Rebels and Clone Wars? All are excellent television shows so I guess you have to take those into consideration as well.

I think there's an argument to be made both ways about how the best of each franchise stacks up against one another, but I think it goes without saying that Marvel has never produced anything near as heinous as TPM and AoTC.

Raiders of the lost ark>>>>>>>>>>>>all.

Since I guess that's not an option, I'll go with star wars.

I liked TFA and R1 initially, but my opinion changed to negative since then. I'm not even that excited for The Last Jedi because of that. But, speaking frankly, I was never a Star Wars fan.

I believe MCU offers something more refreshing than light sabers and X-Wings.

Okay, in terms of comparing Star Wars vs comic book films in general (sorry I can't just stick to the MCU) here goes.....

1) Star Wars (1977) changed not just the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but film-making itself, it's only comic book comparison could be Superman the movie.

However, if do go with the MCU, I believe (and this is controversial) that Guardians of the Galaxy is the closest any film has come to the same vibe as that first amazing film, since then - I'm saying that GOTG is more Star Wars than The Force Awakens (and certainly a more original film).

2) Empire Strikes Back ...the only cbms that come close are Dark Knight and Winter Soldier and Civil War. Sort of the dark-middle-chapter-where-it-all-goes-wrong.

I love Civil War, and actually think it's underrated, I think it comes close to Empire, particularly in its final big confrontation.

3) Return of the Jedi v Age of Ultron. I think there's a reasonable comparison with Return of the Jedi (although I find ROTJ more satisfying overall, and Emperor Palpatine is a much better villain than Ultron).

Avengers is a fair comparison with ROTJ ( I'd put Loki on par with Palpatine).

The prequels, well I would put Dr Strange and Iron Man above all of them, although Revenge of the Sith was better than Iron Man 3.

The Thor films have been okay, as has Ant Man, but nothing to really write home about - I'd put them on the same level as Rogue One and TFA.

I have a bit of a beef with TFA because its incredibly unoriginal - broadly it's pretty much SW ANH with better effects. What made SW amazing was the
original slant it put on the classic hero's journey tale. TFA pales in comparison.

Adding up all that, I can't definitively say that one is better than the other - although Marvel can at least say it doesn't have Attack of the Clones (which I rank about the same as Batman v Superman, ugh !)

This far the new Star Wars movies are a bit behind their contemporary MCU movies for me.

The Force Awakens had some nice characters to build on, but the story is rehashing a bit too much, the script has some clumsy exposition, and there are things that don't feel very satisfying unless they are explained better in Episode VIII. Kylo Ren is an interesting character, but since he was completely undermined at the end he needs to start over in the next movie. People complain about Ultron was beaten down by the Avengers, but they could probably beat the entire New Order themselves, while Kylo was beaten by a girl who, as far as this movie actually shows, just discovered the force.

Age of Ultron rehashes less, has better characters that are more well developed, a more charismatic villain and a more interesting doom device.

Rogue One is a nice callback to the old era in terms of visuals, but for me it failed in making me care about any of the new characters. There's just no development in any of them that makes me latch on to anything, and when they ultimately meet their end I don't care. The exception was the droid, but it was because he met the standards rather than being a home run. There was also a lot of time building up to things like Saw Gerrera that had no relevant payoff. The movie's strength is showing characters from the old trilogy, and that it had a nice third act. The act is hampered by not caring about the new characters, but it still works. The second Vader scene is by far the best in the movie.

Civil War has far better characters and development, a stronger story over all three acts, an even better large battle, and I think Zemo works better as a low key villain than Krennic. Vader wins best villain moment though.

The Force Awakens is the best made of these two SW movies (not counting love for the nostalgia with old ships and facial hair), but even before any of these were made I've been looking forward the most to Episode VIII. That's where they don't need to focus so much on establishing things, and where a more interesting director takes the reins. I hope The Last Jedi is where the new Star Wars truly gets it's own identity.

I liked TFA and R1 initially, but my opinion changed to negative since then. I'm not even that excited for The Last Jedi because of that. But, speaking frankly, I was never a Star Wars fan.

I believe MCU offers something more refreshing than light sabers and X-Wings.

THIS. The MCU actually makes an effort.

The Star Wars universe is so big, but Lucasfilm are making it look small and restrictive at the moment.

The new Star wars films rely a lot on nostalgia and fan service. They can't keep doing that. I would hope they will be forced to do something creative down the line.

Mjölnir;34817189 said:
This far the new Star Wars movies are a bit behind their contemporary MCU movies for me.

The Force Awakens had some nice characters to build on, but the story is rehashing a bit too much, the script has some clumsy exposition, and there are things that don't feel very satisfying unless they are explained better in Episode VIII. Kylo Ren is an interesting character, but since he was completely undermined at the end he needs to start over in the next movie. People complain about Ultron was beaten down by the Avengers, but they could probably beat the entire New Order themselves, while Kylo was beaten by a girl who, as far as this movie actually shows, just discovered the force.

Age of Ultron rehashes less, has better characters that are more well developed, a more charismatic villain and a more interesting doom device.

Rogue One is a nice callback to the old era in terms of visuals, but for me it failed in making me care about any of the new characters. There's just no development in any of them that makes me latch on to anything, and when they ultimately meet their end I don't care. The exception was the droid, but it was because he met the standards rather than being a home run. There was also a lot of time building up to things like Saw Gerrera that had no relevant payoff. The movie's strength is showing characters from the old trilogy, and that it had a nice third act. The act is hampered by not caring about the new characters, but it still works. The second Vader scene is by far the best in the movie.

Civil War has far better characters and development, a stronger story over all three acts, an even better large battle, and I think Zemo works better as a low key villain than Krennic. Vader wins best villain moment though.

The Force Awakens is the best made of these two SW movies (not counting love for the nostalgia with old ships and facial hair), but even before any of these were made I've been looking forward the most to Episode VIII. That's where they don't need to focus so much on establishing things, and where a more interesting director takes the reins. I hope The Last Jedi is where the new Star Wars truly gets it's own identity.

Totally agree with the bold above. The Avengers, with Hulk and Thor, Vision and Scarlet Witch would wipe out the New Order based on what we've seen of them.

The rehashing in TFA bugged me a lot, but if Kylo Ren had been a legitimately threatening villain I would have gotten a lot more interested.

I mean, nobody is going to come close to Darth Vader as a villain but surely they could have done better than Kylo Ren - Darth Maul is a much more menacing villain, and he's only in one film for 5 minutes.

Hearing that Star Wars VIII was entitled "The Last Jedi" makes me sad, because we've already ****ing seen a film trilogy about the last jedi. Can't anyone come up with something new for a Star Wars film - I mean, the New Order were just Empire lite: all the uniforms with half the territory.

There is literally a galaxy of possibilities out there, and a ton of books written by creative folk - well more creative than work for ****ing Disney. Even a loose adaptation of one of the better Star Wars novels is better than seeing the same old story.

Marvel do have a degree of similarity, I mean Dr Strange is pretty much Iron Man with magic - but its well told, well performed and great fun. I felt ripped off by TFA, in fact I would have probably reacted better if they had simply remade Star Wars ANH, with different actors. For me TFA is basically thinking well within the box, or at least pressed up against the side looking in.

If Marvel can equal the quality of its 2016 films, there's no contest. 8 Star Wars films vs 14 Marvel films. While 2 of the Star Wars films are among the best movies of all time, and one is really good, the others I can take or leave. The MCU doesn't quite hit the highs of Star Wars ANH or ESB, but even its worst films (Iron Man 2 and 3 for me) are nowhere near as bad as the lows of Attack of the Clones.

Mind you, I think Star Wars may have a better animated universe. I've only seen season 1 of Rebels, but it was amazing (better than any Star Wars films after ROTJ).

The short answer is Star Wars. Of course, Star Wars. Beyond being the first (or second if you point to Jaws) modern blockbuster that made the MCU eventually possible, it already has historic significance that has stood the test of time. The enduring quality explains why TFA and Rogue One can be such events for teens and children who weren't there for the original trilogy, and for whom those movies are now "old," while the prequels weren't even good.

And as for quality, all of the Star Wars movies are made with a cinematic eye for being standalone, complete tales. Even the bad prequels are. That gives them each an immediate appeal to watch and each movie a distinctive quality. The conformity of the Marvel movies makes them a muddle, as does their interconnected nature.

Star Wars by twelve parsecs.

Oh and if we are ranking just the movies since Disney resurrected Star Wars:

1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (9/10)
2. Captain America: Civil War (see I am not a full Marvel hater ;) ) (9/10)
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (8/10)
4. Doctor Strange (7/10)
5. Ant-Man (6/10)
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (4/10)

But if we are compare the whole of the universes, I standby Star Wars is dominating. And in the case of ranking Civil War above The Force Awakens, while I did enjoy Civil War more, I know full well that I and most people will see The Force Awakens more times. It's still a more cinematic movie that is standalone. For all its flaws, it is an entertaining story about these characters 30 years on and their heirs. Civil War is informed by whether you have seen most of the 10 Marvel movies before it. It is also visually flat, unlike TFA. While I think Civil War is actually better written, it will not have the lasting impact that Force Awakens already enjoys.

A for Rogue One, it does something as the first spinoff Star Wars movie that Marvel after 13 films mostly refuses to do: it takes major risks in terms of tone, thematics, and plotting. It puts more moral ambiguous gray in the Rebel Alliance than the purported "timely" The Winter Soldier is credited for doing with its own allusions to the surveillance state. It also is unafraid to kill off characters and take challenging narrative turns, a feat Marvel shies away from constantly.

Last edited:
A for Rogue One, it does something as the first spinoff Star Wars movie that Marvel after 13 films mostly refuses to do: it takes major risks in terms of tone, thematics, and plotting. It puts more moral ambiguous gray in the Rebel Alliance than the purported "timely" The Winter Soldier is credited for doing with its own allusions to the surveillance state. It also is unafraid to kill off characters and take challenging narrative turns, a feat Marvel shies away from constantly.

The fact that Rogue One is a standalone - Kennedy and Edwards made it clear early on that there wasn't going to be a Rogue Two - made the entire cast expendable in a way that really can't be duplicated in an ongoing series like the MCU. Marvel has been battling with the creator of Strikeforce Morituri, a futuristic comic miniseries involving doomed rebels battling an alien invasion. If a deal is reached that may be an option for Phase 6 or 7.

How I would rank them:

1. Civil War - 10/10
2. Rogue One - 9/10
3. Dr. Strange - 8/10
4. Ant-Man - 7/10
5. The Force Awakens - 7/10
6. Age of Ultron - 6/10

We will need to see more Disney Star Wars films to really get a true comparison, but for now I would say both franchises are in the same ballpark in terms of quality.

I have been watching the MCU a lot recently. Has changed my picks on them quite a bit at the top.

Star Wars
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. Star Wars
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. Attack of the Clones

Marvel
1. The Winter Soldier
2. Civil War
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Ant-Man
5. Iron Man
6. Doctor Strange
7. The First Avengers
8. Iron Man 3
9. Avengers
10. Thor
11. Age of Ultron
12. Iron Man 2
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. The Dark World

Top 10 from the pair:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. Star Wars
4. The Winter Soldier
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Civil War
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Ant-Man
9. Rogue One
10. Iron Man

In terms of what is to come, my top 7 most anticipated:

1. The Last Jedi
2. IX
3. Han Solo
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. Infinity Wars
6. Ant-Man and Wasp
7. Captain Marvel

Clearly Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are superior to anything Marvel has ever done. At the same time The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are worse.

My understanding was that this thread is specifically about the Disney Era Star Wars movies.

Clearly Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are superior to anything Marvel has ever done. At the same time The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are worse.

My understanding was that this thread is specifically about the Disney Era Star Wars movies.
What is the point of that though? There has been two Star Wars movies sine Disney bought them.

Also I'd take TPM over The Dark World. RotS and AotC would be the bottom of the complete list imo.

Still haven't seen the OT trilogy ugh. But so far I like what I've seen from Star Wars. TFA turned me into a fan. Loved both TFA and Rogue one. I need to see more of Star Wars before making a decision. So

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"