Cinematic Civil War (Galactic Edition): MCU vs Star Wars

Many many of the characters in Rogue One had serious potential. K2 specifically was genius in execution [BLACKOUT](no pun intended)[/BLACKOUT]. Jyn, Cassian, Îmwe, and Saw Gerrera all deserved every ounce of screentime they got. Even if I had to google most of their names. They also deserved more.

I would have happily seen a Rogue Two film starring those characters and "many Bothan spies" attempting to steal information on the new Death Star (between ESB and RotJ). Since those characters returning is not a realistic option, we can't really include Rogue One in conversations about sequel-worthy characters.

I thought K-2SO made questionable sense though. Why did the Empire create huge juggernaut, security droids? They should have troopers for that and droids are really seen as obsolete, yet stormtroopers completely pale in comparison. He seemed like something of a concept that should have been in the prequels.

Mjölnir;34840905 said:
I thought K-2SO made questionable sense though. Why did the Empire create huge juggernaut, security droids? They should have troopers for that and droids are really seen as obsolete, yet stormtroopers completely pale in comparison. He seemed like something of a concept that should have been in the prequels.

This is a fair point. Although I'd say an explanation would be during a transition period when the Empire was in control of CIS battle droid factories, they were attempting to construct combat droids that were worth their cost. Apparently they were deemed not worth it as by the time ANH rolls around, they are no where to be seen.

2015: Age of Ultron is one of my favorite movies, and The Force Awakens is perhaps the biggest disappointment I have experienced from a movie. Add in Ant-Man and Marvel easily takes this.

2016: This is genuinely difficult. Rogue One was amazing for me, but so were Doctor Strange and Captain America: Civil War. I'm giving the slight edge to Star Wars just because it's been my favorite franchise since I first saw it.

I really like the MCU, but Star Wars, you just can't beat it. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of TFA, I still have the other 7 movies, 2 TV series, and the EU, with more of everything on the way.

I definitely think Marvel can beat Star Wars. For me it comes down to how they handle the finale of Phase 3. I think Marvel needs to have 3 strong acts to reach the heights of the original trilogy.

I compare A New Hope to The Avengers. The introduction of many of these characters to the large majority of the audience. Their initial team up and interaction with each other on screen. New and exciting. Fun and action-centric.

Then I compare Empire Strikes Back to Captain America: Civil War. Emotional strife between our main characters. The story ends unresolved in many ways. We start to learn about the true extent of how difficult their plight is.

If Thanos ends this arc on as high a note as Return of the Jedi, I believe we'll have something truly special that will indeed stand the test of time. Then comes the question of how they proceed post-phase 3. And will it be better than the Star Wars prequels? Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"