Endgame Do they have to die? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man)

Keep in mind that any deaths that occur are only as permanent as the writers need them to be. If you can bring back 50% of the universe's population, you can certainly write yourself a way to bring back anyone you want.

I get that, but my opinion on this is whoever dies here should just be dead. If there is a trope in comics I hate, it is how laughable and meaningless deaths are. That's not something I want carrying over to the MCU. Something like the snap was never meant to be permanent, so bringing them back is okay. It was a plot device anyway. But if Cap or Stark or whoever have to die to undo it, leave them dead. Don't make this a joke like in comics, and thus cheapen that moment later on.

I come at it from the opposite direction- I think people with the comic background are okay with dead because aw heck, they always come back... but these movies are it, and while I am good at having my own head canon, it's not like a #306 is coming along to bring Cap back.

So, enough death, moo.

Right now - they benefit from the wave created by "old" team.

No more so than any of the "old" team benefitted from the similar team ups. They'll be fine.

I get that, but my opinion on this is whoever dies here should just be dead. If there is a trope in comics I hate, it is how laughable and meaningless deaths are. That's not something I want carrying over to the MCU. Something like the snap was never meant to be permanent, so bringing them back is okay. It was a plot device anyway. But if Cap or Stark or whoever have to die to undo it, leave them dead. Don't make this a joke like in comics, and thus cheapen that moment later on.

If they would do this, I doubt it would be "undoing a death." It would be instead, "he/she never died, they were just sent to an alternate dimension/timeline and then returned."

If they would do this, I doubt it would be "undoing a death." It would be instead, "he/she never died, they were just sent to an alternate dimension/timeline and then returned."

Aka, the death is being retconned. Thus the moment they "die" for the fate of the universe now feels cheap. It's the same exact effect. Don't make death a punchline like comic books have.

It's not enough that they die, they have to suffer too.

Do they have to die? Yeah, they probably should.

But unless his name is Uncle Ben, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a contingency plan to bring them back.

Not only do they have to suffer, it has to be for nothing too. And by a lesser menace too.

there you go, sepsis from hangnails all around. a fitting end.

Aka, the death is being retconned. Thus the moment they "die" for the fate of the universe now feels cheap. It's the same exact effect. Don't make death a punchline like comic books have.

I think the comics fans would likely take it in stride but the general public might feel ripped off.

I think the comics fans would likely take it in stride but the general public might feel ripped off.

Eh, I think the GA may even be forgiving of it. But things like constant retcons drove me away from reading comics in the 2000s, and I don't want to see the MCU make those same mistake. I want the level of quality of these movies to be maintained. Not to devolve into trash.

Yes i do think at leas one of them should die, and the one i think will most likely bite the dust is Cap. it just makes sense to me over all.

Yes i do think at leas one of them should die, and the one i think will most likely bite the dust is Cap. it just makes sense to me over all.

My completely uneducated guess is that he will "die" on screen but will actually end up awash in the quantum realm back into some other reality where he will be with Peggy.

That just sounds so very fan ficy to me. I really hope they don't go the "He ends up with Peggy!!!" route.

I've heard that peggy theory a few times now, but I personally don't see it happening. Uf cap dies a permanent death, is that so bad? It adds a ton of weight to everything built up to this point.

Nah nobody has to die. While there may be fans who want their favorite characters to die I think the general audience would be fine if nobody got killed. If Cap, Iron Man or Thor died I'd be sad but if they lived and just went on with their lives I'll be happy.

I absolutely think some of them need to die. This movie needs to have some emotional weight to it, and the loss of an OG Avenger would be the perfect way to cap off the Infinity Saga. Otherwise, it does seem like the story has little-to-no stakes....

Prediction? Ironman or Cap. One of the two for sure. I don't see them offing Thor. If anything, he'll start up New Asgard on Earth or something imo.

If Thor has to go I can see it going down as him promising himself to Hel in exchange for Hela's assistance in facing Thanos. So if Thanos murders him that's where he'll end up; dead, but still possible to bring back in the future.

Not a permanent death. I still have a weird suspicion that honour will go to Tony.

The Skrulls are of course one way of giving the OG actors the opportunity to pop up again and in a way to do something new and fresh with their performance.

That just sounds so very fan ficy to me. I really hope they don't go the "He ends up with Peggy!!!" route.

The 'other side' feels like the whump! fanfic genre to me... to the pain! Can't anyone have a happy ending?

I absolutely think some of them need to die. This movie needs to have some emotional weight to it, and the loss of an OG Avenger would be the perfect way to cap off the Infinity Saga. Otherwise, it does seem like the story has little-to-no stakes....

Prediction? Ironman or Cap. One of the two for sure. I don't see them offing Thor. If anything, he'll start up New Asgard on Earth or something imo.

Thor seems the most likely of the Big 3 to live since they have an organic way to keep him out of the action (caring for the surviving Asgardians) while still leaving the door open for future adventures?

Tony and Cap? I don't see either of those guys getting retired unless its into a casket.

Thor seems the most likely of the Big 3 to live since they have an organic way to keep him out of the action (caring for the surviving Asgardians) while still leaving the door open for future adventures?

Tony and Cap? I don't see either of those guys getting retired unless its into a casket.
I agree to retire is to blow apart the heroes ethic that the MCU has set up with Peter Parker saying something like "if you can do what we can, but don't then we are responsible." Rhody is a disabled veteran not really walking around but with Stark legs but still piloting some old Iron Man armor

I feel like everyone but Hawkeye may die. Remember, in the Infinity Gauntlet story, everyone but Nebula died fighting Thanos. It's not out of the question to kill everyone but one character. That would be Marvel's gutsiest move to date. Bonus points for if they keep said characters dead for 5-10 years before recasting.

I agree 100%.

I know people keep saying "why not have Cap and Tony retire!!" but I just don't see it from a narrative perspective. You could maybe make the argument for Tony (kid on the way, finally overcomes his nightmares/demons, etc), but Cap? No way. The only life Cap knows is the life of a soldier. I don't see him ever sitting out of the battle if he's around.

I agree 100%.

I know people keep saying "why not have Cap and Tony retire!!" but I just don't see it from a narrative perspective. You could maybe make the argument for Tony (kid on the way, finally overcomes his nightmares/demons, etc), but Cap? No way. The only life Cap knows is the life of a soldier. I don't see him ever sitting out of the battle if he's around.
Also the MCU has planted its hero ethics flag on if you can do what we do but don't then you are partially responsible. Colonel Rhodes even got the retirement disability injury yet he still pilots the old Iron Man now War Machine armor. No hero can walk away

I would like to see Cap reset in the 40's so they can explore his time with the Invaders. Remember the Original Human Torch would eventually become the Vision and you saw that android on display at the World's Fair in the background during the First Avenger film. It would also be great to see the Union Jack. So much potential. If they're going to start with a new actor, you might as well go back to where it began and move forward from there at a different entry point. I can't think of a more ideal moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"