The Avengers Who deserves the most credit for MCU: Phase One success?

Marvel Studios owes all their success to Robert Downey Jr and Jon Favreau, but mostly RDJ.

RDJ makes a character of Tony Stark, who isn't NEAR as interesting in the source material into a character literally almost on par with the big boys: Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man.

And it has little to do with the written character of Stark, or what he is in the source material. It's all RDJ. He makes him funny, witty, quirky. Favreau took the material seriously. So he should be credited. He took a Nolan-esque approach to the first Iron Man film.

All Feige did was come up with a no brainer of an idea. None of their characters were huge successes, or capable of sustaining major interest. So they were going to combine them anyway.

RDJ is the one who brought all of this to life. His adlibing on set, whatever, he's the one who did the leg work to get this MCU off the ground and flying.

Feige and his Marvel Studio interjections messed up TIH, and IM 2. And he ran away the best director he had out of his films in Favreau with his agenda.

RDJ is Iron Man now. Think about that. His take on the character, which is different from the source totally transcends and supersedes it.

RDJ sure gets alot more credit than Evans or Chris H., but honestly I think we'd be at pretty much the same place if Cap or Thor were the first MCU film.

Not really. Keep in mind the Hulk came out the year after Iron Man and wasn't as well received. Even now when people mention phase one they often omit that film. If it wasn't for him sharing the same continuity with the Hulk in Avengers that film would just be another foot note like the first Hulk movie. RDJ and Iron man really put people on notice that Marvel Studios was ready for action. While the other films were really well done I think if not for the success of Iron Man mainly credited to RDJ and Fav we would've just had another mediocre comic movie with a cult following but little to no lasting impact.

He took a Nolan-esque approach to the first Iron Man film.

:dry:

I've seen this sentiment more than a few times, and I hope it doesn't become a trend. Every good film(or filmmaker) in the genre doesn't owe its success to Nolan.

The commentary surrounding Skyfall was disturbing enough as is; I've heard everything from "Mendes copied the TDK blueprint" to "James Bond is basically Batman"

RDJ. After that Feige for a master class of planning and executing a perfect road map to The Avengers.

Thor by itself wouldn't have kickstarted this thing. Cap may have, but Iron man had Downey pulling an old school quick witted thing and making Stark his own character.

In retrospect, I think it's hard to make a case for anyone but Feige. RDJ & Favreau's contributions shouldn't be understated, but there's something to be said about how much planning and dedication Feige has put into the MCU as a whole.

Downey's Stark is the heart of the team; the straw that stirs the drink.

The correct answer is - none of the above. It is actually David Maisel, the Marvel Studios chairman who first conceived of Marvel launching a independent studio, won a power struggle with Ari Avad forcing him out of the company, set up the financing arrangement with Merrill Lynch, put together the distribution agreement with Paramount Studios, and left the company soon after negotiating the Disney buyout.

They should all get equal credit; they each brought different things to the table.

RDJ was great in IronMan but he gets way too much credit.The first movie would have made a solid 350-400 million regardless of who played IronMan.

LOL at Louis Letterier getting a vote.

I voted for Feige since he was involved with all, but I honestly don't think any one person deserves the most credit.

20th Century Fox.

Without them Marvel would've gone Bankrupt and there'd be no MCU.

Last edited:
20th Century Fox.

Without them Marvel would've gone Bankrupt and there'd be no MCU.

Marvel filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection back in 1996. FOX didn't prevent that, but the studio's horrible misuse of Marvel's intellectual property did inspire the company to form their own independent studio and completely overshadow their licensee.

Marvel filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection back in 1996. FOX didn't prevent that

No, they just saved them from having to go through with bankruptcy.

No Fox = No MCU

Last edited:
No, they just saved them from having to go through with bankruptcy.

No Fox = No MCU

Filing for Bankruptcy under Chapter 11 is bankruptcy. You may be referring to liquidation, and the deals with FOX, Sony and Universal all played a role, along with better management of the company's core assets, in keeping Perlmutter from closing the doors and selling them off.

I agree the revival of RDJ's career as Tony Stark was fantastic.

What was even more fantastic was whoever thought it would be a great idea to put their confidence in casting him in the role in the first place. Someone who had soo many problems to lead Marvels vision into this multi picture, multi billion dollar idea that was the Marvel Movie Universe

I think the casting directors win.

I had always thought that if they were to make an IM movie one day, they should cast RDJ

I'm glad they did

He was born to play Stark

I don't think there's much truth to it at all. That's a quaint and noble way to put things, and I'm sure we'd all love for it to be true, but reality tells us otherwise.

There are folks involved in this franchise that have spent many tireless, sleepless nights mapping out their vision for it, as well as coordinating all of the moving parts as well. Kevin Feige has unquestionably put more effort and thought into the MCU than any other person or group of people, and by a wide margin. Again, the contribution of people like RDJ and Favreau couldn't possibly be overstated; however, neither of them have had anywhere near as much oversight and input as Feige has. As I said before, this is hardly a topic for debate.

RDJ and Jon Favreau, started it all, and then IM2, marvel studios had to get to much Avengers nonsense jammed in there. Which took away from the movie completely. If they were left alone it would have been a much better movie.

RDJ and Jon Favreau, started it all, and then IM2, marvel studios had to get to much Avengers nonsense jammed in there. Which took away from the movie completely. If they were left alone it would have been a much better movie.

Avengers nonsense? It's based on the comic book. Iron Man is an Avenger. Iron Man 2 was a stepping stone which led us to the best CBM ever. It was all part of the plan ever since Fury showed up at the end of Iron Man which to me and a lot of other people was the coolest part of the whole movie.

Hey I like the first Iron Man. It was a fun film - but way overrated. Yeah RDJ was witty and all but it was more of the same honestly. The same tired superhero formula with a redemption arc and the climactic battle against the big boss at the end. There was nothing revolutionary about it. It wasn't the Dark Knight. It wasn't even Iron Man 3. We got to see a new superhero on the big screen with a slightly different premise. That's it.

But Avengers was like nothing we've ever seen. And the fact that Iron Man led us to it is what makes it great.

If you hate the Avengers then enjoy Iron Man for what it is and don't watch any more films. But I think it's pretty clear most people are happy with the end result and enjoy the Avengers "nonsense".

This is one of the few movie franchises in existence that is actually trying to tie everything together continuity wise as they do in the actual comics and it's not an easy feat. Some feel it's a gimmick, but it's an impressive thing.

I don't think there's much truth to it at all. That's a quaint and noble way to put things, and I'm sure we'd all love for it to be true, but reality tells us otherwise.

There are folks involved in this franchise that have spent many tireless, sleepless nights mapping out their vision for it, as well as coordinating all of the moving parts as well. Kevin Feige has unquestionably put more effort and thought into the MCU than any other person or group of people, and by a wide margin. Again, the contribution of people like RDJ and Favreau couldn't possibly be overstated; however, neither of them have had anywhere near as much oversight and input as Feige has. As I said before, this is hardly a topic for debate.

Cool :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"