Endgame Do they have to die? (Cap, Thor, Iron Man)

Eh. Cap's my favorite, and I certainly would be sad if they decided to kill him off. But I wouldn't stop watching the MCU cause of it.

Well you and I are not the same, I'm a bigger fan of Thor than I am the entire MCU combined.

I like Thor but not that much lol. Iron Man's my fave of the original Avengers and he's the one whose death I want the most.

There are still plot threads to follow when these characters come back to life. We never saw Hulk fight the leader or meet the REAL Mandarin.

Bruh that's never happening. The "Real" Mandarin was a bone thrown to the fans in a DVD extra 90 percent of the audience is likely unaware of. And that was what, 6 years ago now?

I think the Mandarin will never happen at this point. But, I would like Hulk to live in case that situation with Universal can be resolved, and thus we FINALLY get our TIH sequel!!!!

I like Thor but not that much lol. Iron Man's my fave of the original Avengers and he's the one whose death I want the most.

Well Iron Man's kind of been oversatured like no other MCU hero so I can understand that. However killing Thor would be weird and counter-productive since the guy just now seems to be hitting his stride.

Well Iron Man's kind of been oversatured like no other MCU hero so I can understand that. However killing Thor would be weird and counter-productive since the guy just now seems to be hitting his stride.

On one hand, yes. But on the other hand, Thor is likely not getting another movie or anything in the future either. Ragnarok felt like it wrapped up the solo series for me. I'd absolutely watch more, but I think Thor is going to maybe make a side appearance or two even if he lives through Endgame.

I don't expect him to have a permanent death (I can see everyone dying in the battle only to be brought back by the last person standing), but I wouldn't say it's impossible either. I'd say may odds right now for the big 3 dying are:

Iron Man - 50%
Captain America - 40%
Thor - 10%

I'd say that the odds of them dying are around 90% for Captain America, 70% for Hulk, 60% for War Machine, 75% for Hawkeye, 30% for Iron Man, 20% for Ant-Man, 15% for Black Widow and 5% for Thor. I don't think that Cap is walking out of this alive.

There needs to be deaths and absolute concenquences.

Imo....I think that all the original avengers should die. It feels the it started with them and this journey they have had for 20 movies needs to have an ending. It would be beyond epic to have the original avengers join together in a final fight against thanos and sacrifice themselves to defeat him.

However, you need to make sure every death isnt rushed. Every character needs their death to be a huge moment. You dont want people getting upset about stark and rogers dying and forgetting that hulk/thor/widow/hawkeye also died.

Russos have a lot of pressure pulling his off. There needs to be a balance where every character gets their moment. I think hawkeye dies early. Hulk or thor die in the early part of the final battle. Stark or rogers have that sacrificing end blow to save everyone in the end.

The last avengers made $2bn and this will probably be the same. It would be a very brave person to tell Bob Iger that they plan to kill them all off.

These are comic book films, you want absolute consequences you can watch films from most other genres. Comic books deaths have always been just a part of the story. There will always be a chance that they'll come back. How many cap, iron man, hulk stories are left to tell? Maybe one or two die but they'll probably be back. Apart from hawkeye. He'll stay dead. Or maybe nick fury.

Again... I love that so many BEFORE IW were all "There's no need for deaths. That's just cheap and lazy. They WON'T do the snap like in the comics."

And now it's all "EVERYBODY'S GOTTA DIE!!!!"

An argument could be made for why either Tony or Steve should be the one to die at the end of this film. Personally though, I think that it might be Tony just by a small margin when compared to Steve's chances.

We've seen on how Tony's fear is to be the lone survivor while all of his good friends die in front of him, due to his inability to save them. It would makes thing come to a full circle if he is the one to make the big sacrifice play in saving everyone's lives.

Someone else also pointed out on how Tony has more to lose personally than Steve at this point. He's married to Pepper and might have a kid as well. Tony losing out in having that happy domestic life would make his sacrifice more personally tragic whereas everyone isn't as sad when the greatest soldier gives his life to save the universe.

I can definitely understand a certain amount of skepticism about legacy characters, but they are pretty common in the comics. With admittedly mixed results, but sometimes the concept can lead to something that is compelling.

Captain America could absolutely work as a legacy character, imho. As a generational thing. That's a case where we will probably see something along those lines even if Steve Rogers is still around in a different capacity.

Anyway, there are a lot of options, fans have discussed them for years, and it's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens now that we are moving into the stage of the MCU when many of the original characters will shift into the background most likely, in one way or another.

The problem with legacy characters in comics is that there are just too damn many of them, and it diminishes the impact and makes it feel fake, like we're watching Tiny Toons but with superheroes. Like, compare it to the DC animated universe, where we only really see one legacy character, in Batman Beyond. It felt truly significant that the legacy of Batman had outlived the man who'd started it.

So if they have a legacy character in the MCU, it should JUST be Captain America. Not a new Iron Man, new Thor, new Hulk, etc.

You're probably right about the sheer quantity of legacy characters in the comics detracting from the basic concept. It can work, but it doesn't always work.

Maybe that's partially because the comics tend to recycle storylines so much, and there are so many temporary substitute characters that don't end up sticking around. Not all of those are really legacy characters, but they probably contribute to the sense of no one but the most familiar incarnation having any permanence.

I'm not sure that the overall context will ever really be the same in these movies. The quantity will be reduced, if nothing else, and many storytelling devices familiar to the comics have rarely been done on the big screen.

We saw that on a grand scale with the Avengers already. The idea of a crossover or mash-up is completely banal in the comics, but it was a huge novelty at the movies.

You're probably right about the sheer quantity of legacy characters in the comics detracting from the basic concept. It can work, but it doesn't always work.

Maybe that's partially because the comics tend to recycle storylines so much, and there are so many temporary substitute characters that don't end up sticking around. Not all of those are really legacy characters, but they probably contribute to the sense of no one but the most familiar incarnation having any permanence.

I'm not sure that the overall context will ever really be the same in these movies. The quantity will be reduced, if nothing else, and many storytelling devices familiar to the comics have rarely been done on the big screen.

We saw that on a grand scale with the Avengers already. The idea of a crossover or mash-up is completely banal in the comics, but it was a huge novelty at the movies.

There are loads of characters to yetbeintroduced into the mcu before we need to start looking at derivative characters.

I'm not really arguing for one thing or another, since it's not my decision anyway, nor do I have any particular fondness for legacy characters. But it will be interesting to see what choices the studio makes.

That's always been an interesting aspect to the whole experiment. This has never been done in the movies before, so everything is wide open.

I'm not really arguing for one thing or another, since it's not my decision anyway, nor do I have any particular fondness for legacy characters. But it will be interesting to see what choices the studio makes.

That's always been an interesting aspect to the whole experiment. This has never been done in the movies before, so everything is wide open.

Spiderman into the spiderverse was a whole film about legacy charcters.

Spiderman into the spiderverse was a whole film about legacy charcters.

That was also a very interesting and successful experiment. I seem to recall it winning awards and being loved by a lot of people.

But I meant: the Marvel Studios extended universe as a whole. There's always been the question of what would happen when the founding members, so to speak, started to move on, both actors and characters.

Of course new characters will be adapted, but they will most likely want to have some elements of continuity as well.

The problem with legacy characters in comics is that there are just too damn many of them, and it diminishes the impact and makes it feel fake, like we're watching Tiny Toons but with superheroes. Like, compare it to the DC animated universe, where we only really see one legacy character, in Batman Beyond. It felt truly significant that the legacy of Batman had outlived the man who'd started it.

So if they have a legacy character in the MCU, it should JUST be Captain America. Not a new Iron Man, new Thor, new Hulk, etc.
And so far in the MCU case only Steve Rogers carries to cultural significance like the Smithsonian exhibit and random New Yorkers knowing that they were rescued by "the first" super human, for some American to want to pick up his shield. The Black Panther title and combat armor assuming another source of herbs is grown being in a different category.

Any soldier like Colonel Rhodes can put on an armored battle suit but how many engineers need to pilot their own suit out of perceived need to make up for what he and his father's company was accused of doing? Thor is not a title just the name of the surviving prince of his nation.

However Captain America in itself is an anachronism. For someone else to take up the suit and flag shield you would think be looked at more like Team America World Policeman rather than others, even an alien battle commander/prince, turning to the new Cap and looking at him to lead the way.

I like the comraderie with the OG Avengers. They have chemistry. If you remove all of them, I’m not sure what type of chemistry that would exist with this Captain Marvel lead team. With the universe extending there are all kind of stories that can be told, so killing them off may be a bit extreme. I understand that there has to be a cost for victory, but not sure the universe can withstand it. Stark for all intense purposes is the face of Marvel and cap is the heart of it. You can retire or kill one, but both.. idk.. There are always ways to bring them back down the road should you need them, but I’m sure at that point the roles will be recasted and not sure what type of chemistry will exist with those actors.

Some kind of last minute scene with Hulk holding Thanos ( and banner losing control of professor hulk) and Stark sending them both off to some alternate reality or thinking that he evicerated both of them, but in actuality Hulk survives and winds up in an alternate reality or dimension extends the story and sets up a WW Hulk storyline which would be nice. But again, I’m a Hulk fan, so I understand that would not be appealing to all fans.

That was also a very interesting and successful experiment. I seem to recall it winning awards and being loved by a lot of people.

But I meant: the Marvel Studios extended universe as a whole. There's always been the question of what would happen when the founding members, so to speak, started to move on, both actors and characters.

Of course new characters will be adapted, but they will most likely want to have some elements of continuity as well.
I like the comraderie with the OG Avengers. They have chemistry. If you remove all of them, I’m not sure what type of chemistry that would exist with this Captain Marvel lead team. With the universe extending there are all kind of stories that can be told, so killing them off may be a bit extreme. I understand that there has to be a cost for victory, but not sure the universe can withstand it. Stark for all intense purposes is the face of Marvel and cap is the heart of it. You can retire or kill one, but both.. idk.. There are always ways to bring them back down the road should you need them, but I’m sure at that point the roles will be recasted and not sure what type of chemistry will exist with those actors.

Some kind of last minute scene with Hulk holding Thanos ( and banner losing control of professor hulk) and Stark sending them both off to some alternate reality or thinking that he evicerated both of them, but in actuality Hulk survives and winds up in an alternate reality or dimension extends the story and sets up a WW Hulk storyline which would be nice. But again, I’m a Hulk fan, so I understand that would not be appealing to all fans.

Or at the end of the film hulk simply asks to be sent back to sakaar. Spends the next few years ruling the planet then something earth/illuminati/avengers does results in it being destroyed and he wants revenge.

I think the OG Avengers should all go out together, Rogue One style at the end. Don't show their deaths on screen, but leave it ambiguous enough so actors might return in the future. Then the end of the movie has a giant statue constructed in New York of the Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Peter Parker narrates, saying no one knows what really happened to the Avengers, but they've inspired others. Heroes have been rising around the world, like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. SHIELD might be back SWORD will hopefully be there to keep a functioning relationship with the Guardians, and the New Avengers will be a new team, in honor of those fallen. A lot of time will apparently have passed in the movie, so things like mutants popping up suddenly makes sense.

I do think that once Disney officially owns Fox, Marvel will be well within their rights to include nods to the X-Men and FF. Much like how the Russos had two Civil War Scripts with and without Spider-Man. They might have one ending where the New Avengers are the main focus and another where the X-Men and FF are the 'wow' factor. I know they said Endgame was done and ready to go...but the optimist in me thinks that they went with the cooler ending because they knew after March 20th when the merger becomes official, everything was going to be okay.

I think the OG Avengers should all go out together, Rogue One style at the end. Don't show their deaths on screen, but leave it ambiguous enough so actors might return in the future. Then the end of the movie has a giant statue constructed in New York of the Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Peter Parker narrates, saying no one knows what really happened to the Avengers, but they've inspired others. Heroes have been rising around the world, like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. SHIELD might be back SWORD will hopefully be there to keep a functioning relationship with the Guardians, and the New Avengers will be a new team, in honor of those fallen. A lot of time will apparently have passed in the movie, so things like mutants popping up suddenly makes sense.

I do think that once Disney officially owns Fox, Marvel will be well within their rights to include nods to the X-Men and FF. Much like how the Russos had two Civil War Scripts with and without Spider-Man. They might have one ending where the New Avengers are the main focus and another where the X-Men and FF are the 'wow' factor. I know they said Endgame was done and ready to go...but the optimist in me thinks that they went with the cooler ending because they knew after March 20th when the merger becomes official, everything was going to be okay.

If they go that route, I think the only two OG Avengers should survive are Black Widow and Thor. BW has her first solo movie, and Thor needs to lead the Asgardians with Valkyrie. Iron Man can be survived by Potts as Rescue, Hawkeye by Bishop, Hulk by She Hulk (?), and Cap by either Bucky or Falcon.

That sounds similar to the Dark Knight rises!!! I thought you were going to go with years down the line Fury sees them in France eating Shawarma!!

I’m down though with the inspiring other groups part of it.. We will just have to see how it plays out

I don't think they all have to die. Honestly, I don't see that happening. My personal feeling is that one will die and probably that goes between Iron Man and Captain America.

For Thor I think he's fine. Honestly, I feel they want to do more with him after Ragnarok and you can diminish his role without killing him. Half (or half once they deal with the snap issue) of his people are alive and are going to need to establish themselves as a people. Having their King alive and spending time helping with that makes sense. You can minimize his presence if needed, but make a Thor 4 if you want to.

My gut says Cap will die. Mostly since I can see Iron Man actually retiring without needing to die, but I can't see it for Captain America. Obviously all the reasons Tony has to live would make his death hit harder. But you can pull him back to taking up being married to Pepper and backing off from the action. All the more so if his dream was on point and he does have a kid on the way. If it's a boy he names him Steve and it all just fits nicely.

But who knows. I'd be shocked if Thor died though. I think out of anyone he's worth them trying to bring back for additional movies and with his new 'hammer' you can have some fun with him.

Ironman is the most logical to die. He is the one who has had all these visions about Thanos and has built a personal rivarly with him since Avengers 1. Hes the one who has been obsessing over the Endgame scenario so it makes sense that to complete his arc, it would be his sacrafice to end it all. Plus Dr Strange sparing his life. And it would be the best afterall hes the only "normal" human out of the premier Avengers and for him to take down a extraterrestrial threat like Thanos would be satisfying and a call back to simpler times when he created an ironman suit from scraps whilst hostage in a cave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"