Do you consider Ang Lee's Hulk MCU canon?

has there been any indication whatsoever from disney that hulk is supposed to quasi count?

I don't think canon matters that much anyway. If you're reading a history book canon matters because all of the events are real and thus are causally linked.

Films are stories, they try to approximate causality but over time it won't, even if they make an attempt to define a canon. Pedantic fanboys should relax.

Ang Lee's The Hulk is an elite CBM and can be considered part of the MCU with trivial changes. Similarly, I expect the same will be true of Nolan and Snyder's Batman.

Actually yes, I do, not official canon. Just my personal fan canon.

It's funny because it kinda looks like the Hulk is getting older. 2003 Eric Bana Bruce/Hulk looks young 20-23. Edward Norton's look a bit older about 26-32. Mark Raffulo's looks older about 36-40.

It looks like Bruce is aging. Not to mention Hulk 2003 ended, in South America exactly where Hulk 2008 started.

I don't think canon matters that much anyway. If you're reading a history book canon matters because all of the events are real and thus are causally linked.

Films are stories, they try to approximate causality but over time it won't, even if they make an attempt to define a canon. Pedantic fanboys should relax.

Ang Lee's The Hulk is an elite CBM and can be considered part of the MCU with trivial changes. Similarly, I expect the same will be true of Nolan and Snyder's Batman.
ive never thought about that before. Yeah I think that could be a way to say the Nolan batman movies count in the dccu too

Ang Lee's Hulk can be viewed as a vague prequel to TIH (if we ignore some events that are shown in Hulk.)

At least.. that's how I think, so it can vaguely tied to current MCU.

I look at it more like the MCU comics. Semi canon, depends how deeply you want to look at it.

I think they chose to adopt certain elements for the Incredible Hulk from the Ang Lee as far as the origin goes but it clearly took its own liberties as an independent film launch for MCU Hulk. They did not want to do another origin. Probably very similar to the next approach for Spiderman even though the Raimi/Webb films will have nothing to do with it.

No. But if they could work in the 80's show to be canon, I wouldn't mind as much. :p
If it were cannon, they would have used the same origins, transformation, and actor/s. Frankly, they haven't talked enough about how hulk works in the MCU, but it looks like it isn't the same as in the Incredible Hulk movie. It was a movie that wasn't taken well from media, so they dropped the movie from cannon (as if there was cannon back then? XD) they dropped the storyline and actors, and they swept up the mess, trying to make sure no one could ever think it was cannon. The fact that some have voted yes shows that they should have done a better job... maybe release an official statement saying it isn't would help? :p I think AoU will show more of how hulk works and who he is, which will make it more clear. There are similarities because they are both based off of the comics. The storyline may have picked up because they weren't sure whether to make it cannon, who knows, the avengers script may have been already started before hulk 08 was released.

Last edited:
It's funny because it kinda looks like the Hulk is getting older. 2003 Eric Bana Bruce/Hulk looks young 20-23. Edward Norton's look a bit older about 26-32. Mark Raffulo's looks older about 36-40.

It looks like Bruce is aging. Not to mention Hulk 2003 ended, in South America exactly where Hulk 2008 started.

It's to make it more like the 80's show. That might have been the best Hulk video we have gotten so far.

when the hell was that ever a question...
I'm not the first person to express the thought. The Incredible Hulk is one of the less popular MCU films, and there was a recast. Ruffalo and Norton played the character differently in terms of mannerisms and personality.

The fact that TIH was referenced in The Avengers probably discredits the idea, but there's still no reason to be offended by it.

To me, this is an odd question. It either is canon or isn't canon and that answer isn't dependent on whether I like it or not. I can think something's awesome or it sucks, but it's status as part of the Marvel canon is entirely separate. Ang Lee's Hulk is not canon because it's not part of the official Marvel canon (as decided by Marvel).

Keep in mind canon and continuity are separate things as well. All the X-Men movies are part of the X-Men canon even if X-Men: Last Stand and The Wolverine are not part of the same continuity as X-Men: Apocalypse. In the comics, both The Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man are part of the same canon even if they are in separate universes.

I don't think I've ever heard canon used to refer to history books. The term, as it originated, is from Biblical study. An attempt was made to consider what was truly part of the Biblical canon and what was Apocryphal. The books of the Bible that are best known from Genesis to Revelations is canon. Things like the Gospel of Thomas or the Gospel of Peter are not. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Paradise Lost or Dante's Inferno are not canon, but they are set in the same continuity and are stories that many enjoy. In fact, a lot of common understandings about hell and Satan come from these stories. But no one claims they're canon just because they like them.

I'm not the first person to express the thought. The Incredible Hulk is one of the less popular MCU films, and there was a recast. Ruffalo and Norton played the character differently in terms of mannerisms and personality.

The fact that TIH was referenced in The Avengers probably discredits the idea, but there's still no reason to be offended by it.
no one said anything about being offended by it, but it's just wrong to not believe it as part of the MCU. It's not something up for debate. Tony stark showed up at the end of thk and it was referenced not only in avengers but in Thor before it. If recasting is something to reason it being possibly not in the MCU then you also have Rhodes who was recast and hell even dumbledore in Harry potter 3 and Val Kilmer/George clooney in the batman saga.

EDIT: madd stupidass iPhone autocorrections & typos

Last edited:
The fact that the Hulk gets TWO COMPLETELY UNRELATED ORIGINS in both movies should be the obvious evidence.

The fact that the Hulk gets TWO COMPLETELY UNRELATED ORIGINS in both movies should be the obvious evidence.

Plus General Talbot died in Hulk, but lives in AOS, and is a completely different character.

Well, until Ruffalo's gets a movie that explores his childhood past (and thus establishes it's own canon about that), I'll fan-canon the dad stuff from Ang's Hulk. Bruce needs that kind of trauma to justify why his rage is such a potent fuel for the Hulk's power, and MCU Bruce seems to lack that.

Plus Bruce essentially being a mutant (papa Banner passing on screwed up genetics) even before the gamma exposure helps him be more unique. Sure Blonsky can be doped up on an off-brand SSS, and then expose himself to gamma rays to become a powerful mutate, but Hulk is ultimately superior because Bruce has a unique condition that makes his gamma mutation incredibly potent and dynamic in ways that no other random person can achieve by undergoing a similar process.

no one said anything about being offended by it, but it's just wrong to not believe it as part of the MCU. It's not something up for debate. Tony stark showed up at the end of thk and it was referenced not only in avengers but in Thor before it. If recasting is something to reason it being possibly not in the MCU then you also have Rhodes who was recast and hell even dumbledore in Harry potter 3 and Val Kilmer/George clooney in the batman saga.
I stand by my opinion that it's still a better question than the one posed in this thread. It's more plausible to drop something from continuity than it is to adopt an entirely separate work into it.

I stand by my opinion that it's still a better question than the one posed in this thread.
based on what? you're throwing everything I responded to you with out of the window. you having this opinion is absolutely nonsensical.
It's more plausible to drop something from continuity than it is to adopt an entirely separate work into it.
yeah, it's called retconning. that would mean retconning tih into not happening in the mcu, but that's not what happened.

based on what? you're throwing everything I responded to you with out of the window. you having this opinion is absolutely nonsensical.
I basically already conceded that TIH is canon. My only point was, the question is still less stupid than the one here. That isn't nonsensical. It might be a little trivial and silly, but it isn't nonsensical.
XtremelyBaneful said:
yeah, it's called retconning. that would mean retconning tih into not happening in the mcu, but that's not what happened.
The fact that it simply could happen makes it more plausible than the title of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"