MCU FIGHT: Doctor Strange vs Hulk

IMO Strange beats Vision, but no way he beats Hela. As for Vision, after his pathetic showing in IW I can't see Vision even making Hela break a nail. Strange would do better against her but given Hela's knowledge of magic he's in serious trouble.

Have we done Strange v Vision? Can't see Vision winning that one - given that he's technically not alive Strange might not hold back against him. I doubt his phasing powers would protect him against Strange's magic.

TBH Strange has a better chance against Thor than most - given the variety of effects he can conjure ( eg uses sling ring to send Stormbreaker to a distant location and turns Thor into a frog ( hey it happened in the comics).

In a straight up contest of might it's no contest to Thor and of course if Thor lands a punch, lightning blast ( much less a hit with Stormbreaker) Strange is done, he's just human.

However, if Strange can use his magic creatively ( especially if he has the time stone) he might be one of the few characters who could give Thor a hard time. In raw power Thor is clearly greater, he's a god, but I think you're underselling the variety of power that Strange can draw on.

Negative, but he will battle him next.

I think ite becoming clear Strange is going to move up to the transcendent tier.

Hard to say. He took heavy blows from the Hulkbuster and from Bleeding Edge Iron Man without much effect although Tony's repulsors momentarily stunned him. Guess we'll never really know as being scraped against the Wakandan force field seems to have done him in.

Cull we hardly knew ya !

R.I.P to my man Cull Obsidian :csad:

Negative, but he will battle him next.

I think it's becoming clear Strange is going to move up to the transcendent tier.

Strange is a weird one. He might be able to beat Hulk or even transcendent level characters like Kurse on a technicality - by using his portals to send them away from the battlefield - but he can't actually hurt them so it barely counts as a win in my mind.

He's also a glass cannon who many street level characters could take out in one hit if they got around his defences. Quicksilver would probably take a majority over him and I can definitely imagine a flying and phasing character with ranged attacks like Vision dodging his attacks for long enough to land a hit.

Last edited:
Strange is a weird one. He might be able to beat Hulk or even transcendent level characters like Kurse on a technicality - by using his portals to send them away from the battlefield - but he can't actually hurt them so it barely counts as a win in my mind.

He's also a glass cannon who many street level characters could take out in one hit if they got around his defences. Quicksilver would probably take a majority over him and I can definitely imagine a flying and phasing character with ranged attacks like Vision dodging his attacks for long enough to land a hit.

True

Strange vs Hulk vs Quicksilver is essentially a game of rock, paper, scissors. So is Strange vs Kurse vs Ebony Maw.

Other glass cannons like Mordo, the Ancient One, Wong and Scarlet Witch are also powerful enough to defeat transcendents and vulnerable enough to lose to top tier/street level threats.

I reckon I'll handle it by instead thinking about who I'd rather have in a fight against an unknown opponent.

Stephen Strange without contest; he's a master of the mystic arts and Hulk doesn't stand a chance against them.

The good Doctor has a single weakness though; he's only human, so if he screwed up somewhere and Hulk got a hold of him, one Hulk smash would cripple Strange beyond mystic repair.

Thats the thing. If he loses to vision, then he cant be a trans level character here, even if he can beat some.

The only way I could see Hulk win is if he had the advantage of surprise. Hulk's power vs Strange's lack of durability means one hit could end it. But with a prepared Strange I can't see Hulk winning and essentially he'd be taking damage non-stop while dealing none of his own (even though it could take a year to break him down lol). Strange is ready to counter whatever Hulk tries, and in this case doesn't need to worry about any external energy projection just the Hulk himself.

Some things to keep in mind about Strange:

1. He's a doctor, he took an oath to do no harm which he takes quite seriously. in his own movie after killing an acolyte he expressly states that he won't kill again ( although I suspect that's not going to be an absolute rule - he doesn't kill kaecillius, but condemns him to eternal torment as a mindless one). Has he got access to more lethal magic, maybe ?would he use it - probably not. But if this is a no rules fight then maybe he can. Also there are ways to beat Hulk without killing him besides battlefield removal - he could turn Hulk into a banana slug or attack him in his astral form and beat him up that way.

2. Having seen the future Strange knows he's going to lose to Thanos and the only way to eventually win is to let him have the time stone. I'm not saying he isn't trying or that he could have beat Thanos - because with 4 stones I don't think anyone could, but he may not be going all out, as he knows he only has to look convincing rather than actually win.

Watch the fight again, Strange starts off with a bolt of magic that Thanos jumps away from. Thanos fires a full on blast from the powerstone which Strange sends into the mirror dimension and hurls the mirror portal at Thanos - who shatters it and uses the space stone to create a mini black hole which Strange changes into butterflies. Its then that Strange does his doppleganger trick , but the power stone is too much and blows away the duplicate Stranges. Thanos then folds a bit of space with the space stone and pulls in Strange.

Against Thanos , with 4 stones, those tricks don't work. Against Hulk ?
I wonder how the doppelganger scene would have ended in a scenario where Thanos didn't have the advantage of having the power stone to blow away the duplicates.

Thats the thing. If he loses to vision, then he cant be a trans level character here, even if he can beat some.

It's a bit of a flaw in your power tiers system, don't you think?

If Strange beats Kurse, Quicksilver beats Strange and Kurse beats Quicksilver then trying to turn that into a ranking is like trying to argue:
#1) Rock
#2) Paper
#3) Scissors

I wonder how the doppelganger scene would have ended in a scenario where Thanos didn't have the advantage of having the power stone to blow away the duplicates.

I reckon he'd have been able to brute force his way out of it anyway, it might have taken him longer though.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a flaw in your power tiers system, don't you think?

If Strange beats Kurse, Quicksilver beats Strange and Kurse beats Quicksilver then trying to turn that into a ranking is like trying to argue:
#1) Rock
#2) Paper
#3) Scissors

I reckon he'd have been able to brute force his way out of it anyway, it might have taken him longer though.

Yeah, no system is perfect, you just have to kind of roll with it.

It's like Superman can be taken out by Lex Luthor or Metallo (with Kryptonite) who are nowhere near his level of power but on a good day can beat the crap out of Darkseid.

For an MCU example Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight nearly kill Vision and give Scarlet Witch a really hard time - and they are among the mosy powerful Avengers - yet Falcon, Cap and Widow kick the crap out of them and nearly kill Glaive. Circumstances make a difference, but on a scale of power it's not even a question that Vision or Witch is more powerful than Cap ( although MCU is very powerful, far moreso than his normal comic book version).

On another note IMO Strange beats Quicksilver if he can get airborne and avoid Q's first attack..... but I get what you're saying about rock paper scissors.
Ebony Maw beats Strange because he can restrain him and stop him spell casting - yet Strange goes one on one with Thanos ( with 4 stones).

You're probably right. Would be a bit disappointing for Thanos even with no stones to not be able to get out of that, but it shows how many tools Strange has to wear tough opponents down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"