Do you support the death penalty

the funny thing is most people deserve the death penalty for stupidity :D

I do not support.

If a guy did something bad, let him rot in a jail cell knowing he can never get out.

Put them in a cement room, let them waste. Give them food and books. Let them do major thinking while they're in there. Anxiety attacks by themselves could put a person in their place.

Killing them will not teach them anything. Let them learn for themselves that a healthy life is precious.

You cannot force someone to cave in, admit they were wrong and get them to feel guilty. They might cave and fake it to stop all the pushing they feel, but it cannot change their minds.

A person’s own mind is a murderer because of pure imperfection that none but a supernatural being could fix.

I understand the overcrowding in prisons and such... and normal "Life Sentences" do include food shelter and all the basic needs for a human....

I do not support.

If a guy did something bad, let him rot in a jail cell knowing he can never get out.

Put them in a cement room, let them waste. Give them food and books. Let them do major thinking while they're in there. Anxiety attacks by themselves could put a person in their place.

Killing them will not teach them anything. Let them learn for themselves that a healthy life is precious.

You cannot force someone to cave in, admit they were wrong and get them to feel guilty. They might cave and fake it to stop all the pushing they feel, but it cannot change their minds.

A person’s own mind is a murderer because of pure imperfection that none but a supernatural being could fix.

I understand the overcrowding in prisons and such... and normal "Life Sentences" do include food shelter and all the basic needs for a human....

Depending on the atrocity of the act, they may not deserve the basic needs, imo.

eh, what can I say? That's just my honest opinion on the matter.

Justice has to be above revenge. Period. Otherwise, justice is nothing more than an angry mob with pitchforks going for a witchhunt.

Wait...Justice has to be about revenge? I thought that was more of a vigilante-esque mode of thinking. Justice is about exposing the deeds of the wicked, and the consequences of their said deeds. I try to keep that particular "mentality" in check. At times, I feel some of these people truly deserve to be stripped of the bare necessities. I am of the Christian faith, and believe that to just kill a man and condemn him to Hell is wrong. He should be allowed a visit from a priest, and the right to accept it or reject it. Only then should the injection be administered, depending on the severity of the crime.

I consider myself consistant.

OK....

You are, by your own admission, not in the religious right. Therefore my post was not directed at you. I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

....Well, while I am hardly "the average person"; my opinions are as follows...

There are certain crimes that merit no lesser punishment than Death.
One might think that Life Imprisonment is sufficient, but that Sentence allows the Guilty both paid shelter and food for Life ( supposedly) and the hope that at some time, their Sentence might be Commuted --either by caprice of Elected Officials or by some circumstance ( there have been cases of both escapes and clerical errors releasing prisoners convicted of Capitol Crimes).

Thus, a Life Sentence is in no way a "definite" punishment or even a indefinitely prolonged one. ( In most penal systems, a court sentence is automatically cut in half due to overcrowding of the prisons. Many "Life" sentences are actually made subject to Parole review by this measure)

So--in ONLY cases where Guilt is established BEYOND ALL POSSIBILITY OF DOUBT.....I see nothing inherently wrong with The Death Penalty. As far as I am concerned, when certain crimes are committed, the Guilty has in effect; forfeited All Right To Life by their willful victimization of another Human Being.

In short....

There is nothing wrong with people being killed.
As long as it is The Right People.

Bear in mind, that each such case must be considered entirely on it`s own merits and details examined minutely. There must be NO QUESTION.

By the way, anyone opposing my viewpoint; please spare me any "But What If..." and "Well, Suppose..." situations you may craft to illustrate and support your dissent .
I DID say that Each Situation MUST be considered individually, so I am in no way advocating an Automatic Death Sentence.

As such, I have abstained from voting in the poll, since I find it extremely general in scope and waay too limited in the choices offered.

yeah... that's about what i would have typed... excet i did vote for 'yes'.

granted, you were kind of general in the kind of crimes that would have to be commited to facilitate the death penalty, but i would go with the obvious: rape, murder, etc... then, some kind of '3 strikes' thing, for lesser crimes like battery, theft, drugs, and the like.

i know it seems harsh, but we are waaaay to lenient on some of these criminals. especially the murderers and rapists who have been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be guilty. there's no reason they should be allowed to live comfortably in jail.

Don't support it at all. The judicial side of the criminal law has three main purposes, firstly to protect the offender, secondly to punish the offender, and thirdly (and most importantly) to protect society. The death penalty is most often used as a knee jerk reaction, it does not aloow for any form or rehabilitation, and, as was the case with the last man hung in australia, sometimes they get the wrong guy.
Generally ppl argue for the death penalty as a deterent to deter others from committing similar crimes. unfortunatly in reality the death penalty has little affect as a deterent. Others argue that the state shouldn't be forced to pay to keep them alive for 25 yrs or so. However, in the US it generally costs more to execute a criminal than to keep them in gaol for 25 years.
T'is a bad idea.

Thirteen executions this year and 12 of them are in Texas. Ron White said it best. "We have the death penalty and, we use it."

That's the most retarted thing anyone has ever said. Ever.

All I stated was Texas has the death penalty and uses it. Some crimes are so heinous that the death peanalty is called for. Like in the case of the 9/11 attacks, if we caught the perps who carried it out.

I totally support it on the grounds of convicted Rapists, murderers and child molesters. Why the hell should my taxes pay to keep these guys in prison? And screw the Human Rights Act. They didn't give a damn about the other person's rights, so who should give a damn about theirs?

I think there are certain situations where its appropriate, but for the most part no.

Wait...Justice has to be about revenge? I thought that was more of a vigilante-esque mode of thinking. Justice is about exposing the deeds of the wicked, and the consequences of their said deeds. I try to keep that particular "mentality" in check. At times, I feel some of these people truly deserve to be stripped of the bare necessities. I am of the Christian faith, and believe that to just kill a man and condemn him to Hell is wrong. He should be allowed a visit from a priest, and the right to accept it or reject it. Only then should the injection be administered, depending on the severity of the crime.

ABOVE revenge!!

I'm against capital punishment:

1. Too many innocent people have gone to jail for crimes they did not commit. (Later evidence has proven them innocent).

2. If killing people is illegal, then capital punishment is illegal (one law for everyone)

3. The death of one person does not bring back the life of the other person

4. The criminal needs to be allowed the chance to repent. One of the biggest problems with the criminal system is that criminals aren't really encouraged to change their ways or educated to think differently.

I never understood the killing is illegal so capitol punishment should be illegal argument.
Kidnapping is illegal too. Does that mean you're against putting them in prison in the first place. They aren't there by choice. The police caught them and put them in a prison cell against their will. Thats definition kidnapping. So by your logic should prison in itself be illegal too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"