The Death Penalty: Where Do You Stand?

J. J. Jameson

There and back again.
Reaction score
This has been a subject of debate lately between my friends and I. Naturally, the death penalty has always been a controversial subject. Personally, I'm strictly against it, especially after putting a little research into it.

Recently, I read a book by John Grisham titled "The Innocent Man." It's a nonfiction novel about a man named Ron Williamson who was wrongfully convicted of a rape/murder he did not commit. It only strengthened my disapproval of the death penalty. (At one point, Grisham points out that there were 4 innocent men on Death Row in a single state prison!)

So. Discuss amongst yourselves. Is it right? Is it wrong? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

J.J. said:
Where do you stand?

Where I belong. Between you and the people of Gotham.

Against for a couple of reasons including the reason you named, being innocent.

I believe it's appropriate in some instances.

I think there are a few crimes that warrant it, with DNA testing as a valuable resource to prove that the defendant did it or not.

Against. I don't think it's up to us to decide the fate of another human being.

I would increase capital crimes to rape and serial child molesters.

Against. I don't think it's up to us to decide the fate of another human being.

The only time "we" do is when "we're" on the jury of a trial where the prosecution is seeking the death penalty.

Is spending your life in prison a fate we're not allowed to decide?

I'm against because of too many mistaken identity cases and it really upset me when they executed that ex-gang banger who had reformed and was doing such excellent work trying to get kids off the streets. If a guy who so obviously reformed couldn't be given a life sentence as a reward for his work (it's not like they would be letting him out after all) then what is the point of reforming at all? I think it set a bad example.

I think there are a few crimes that warrant it, with DNA testing as a valuable resource to prove that the defendant did it or not.
Agreed, I believe that if DNA proves guilt, Capital Punishment is in order. If it doesn't, then Life in Prison.

Plus, Child Rapists should get the Death Penalty.

Since they sit on death row for years at a time...there's plenty of time to look into weather or not he's truely guilty or not through DNA testing.

Where I stand though, is for it. Sorry but some people out there need to die. Serial child molesters, rapists, murders etc. I can understand why someone would want to spare the life of a person who just took someone elses and/or destoryed others.

If the justice system was actually about justice then I would support the death penalty, but way to many innocent people get convicted, for me to consciously support the death penalty.

Is spending your life in prison a fate we're not allowed to decide?

If you're referring to my comment, I should clarify. I don't think one human being should ever take the life of another human being. I certainly believe in incarceration for life.

Agreed, I believe that if DNA proves guilt, Capital Punishment is in order. If it doesn't, then Life in Prison.

alextrebek86.jpg

I'm sorry, but the response we were looking for was "What is 'they are free to go'?"

This is a hard question. There are great points from both sides of the debate. For example, for those who are against it, how would you feel if some sociopath raped your whole family, then killed them in cold blood? For those who are for it, how would you feel if your loved one was framed for a brutal crime, and is sentenced to death before he can be proven innocent? Then morals come into the equation. Some believe it is right to sentence somebody to death, and some don't. Some don't want to have their tax money going to keeping somebody in prison for life, and some would rather do that then convict someone to death, etc. The questions could go on and on.

This is why I don't really have a rock solid opinion on the death penalty, and I'll probably never will.

If you're referring to my comment, I should clarify. I don't think one human being should ever take the life of another human being. I certainly believe in incarceration for life.

Well, take this into consideration.

Say you had a wife and daughter, a man break in with the intent of doing all kinds of harm to your family...most likely killing you and raping the two.

Now, you have a gun, you grab it and aim it at him. do you..

A: Go by your morals about no human being should have the right to take anothers life?
B: Shoot the son of a ***** and protect your family?

He's most likely not run away, what do you do? It' a kill or be killed situation, take your pick.

I'm just going by what you just said and giving you an example of deciding someones fate..because it doesn't always have to be in the court room...it can be anywhere ..even your own home.

This is a hard question. There are great points from both sides of the debate. For example, for those who are against it, how would you feel if some sociopath raped your whole family, then killed them in cold blood? For those who are for it, how would you feel if your loved one was framed for a brutal crime, and is sentenced to death before he can be proven innocent? Then morals come into the equation. Some believe it is right to sentence somebody to death, and some don't. Some don't want to have their tax money going to keeping somebody in prison for life, and some would rather do that then convict someone to death, etc. The questions could go on and on.

This is why I don't really have a rock solid opinion on the death penalty, and I'll probably never will.

They're both solid points, and I understand the logic, but I am 100% against it, because taking his life, in my eyes, makes me no better than he is. That's just my opinion.

Well, take this into consideration.

Say you had a wife and daughter, a man break in with the intent of doing all kinds of harm to your family...most likely killing you and raping the two.

Now, you have a gun, you grab it and aim it at him. do you..

A: Go by your morals about no human being should have the right to take anothers life?
B: Shoot the son of a ***** and protect your family?

He's most likely not run away, what do you do? It' a kill or be killed situation, take your pick.

I'm just going by what you just said and giving you an example of deciding someones fate..because it doesn't always have to be in the court room...it can be anywhere ..even your own home.

I thought we were talking about the death penalty here.

alextrebek86.jpg

I'm sorry, but the response we were looking for was "What is 'they are free to go'?"
I should Clarify:

If they are proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt: Witnesses, etc. But, DNA is inconclusive, then life.

They're both solid points, and I understand the logic, but I am 100% against it, because taking his life, in my eyes, makes me no better than he is. That's just my opinion.

So I guess you won't be going back to work at the maximum security prison tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"