The Death Penalty: Where Do You Stand?

I thought we were talking about the death penalty here.

We are, but I'm asking YOU will your morals get in the way of protecting those you love? Its the same principle. Just a different situation.

To me, those morals are not realistic..

-It has been proven that the presence of the death penalty does not reduce crime.
-People have been wrongfully sentenced to death.
-It won't bring your loved ones back
-Two wrongs don't make a right
-It comes off as barbaric

My main points are the fact that it doesn't do anything in terms of discouraging the behaviour, and that if it wasn't in place, some innocent people would still be alive in the cases of wrongful imprisonment.

We are, but I'm asking YOU will your morals get in the way of protecting those you love? Its the same principle. Just a different situation.

To me, those morals are not realistic..

I believe in self defense, but not the death penalty. I suppose the statements I made earlier weren't clear enough, because I was strictly talking about capital punishment.

I believe in self defense, but not the death penalty. I suppose the statements I made earlier weren't clear enough, because I was strictly talking about capital punishment.

I know, You made it clear but I just wanted to know where you stood on self-defence.

I hear alot of people say this..
I don't think one human being should ever take the life of another human being..
....and basicly would let themselves be victimized and rely soley on the police..

At least you are somewhat realistic....

As far as the death penalty goes...what do you suggest? I mean the prisons are over crowded as it is...and throwing them in prison for life...doesn't deter crime either.

As far as the death penalty goes...what do you suggest? I mean the prisons are over crowded as it is...and throwing them in prison for life...doesn't deter crime either.
Not to mention the burden they put on the Tax payers. So, essentially, the Murderer's Victim's family would have to put him up for the rest of his life. Doesn't quite sound that fair.

Executions don't seem to do much in terms of dwindling the inmate population.
The American penal system is flawed, things like petty drug offences clutter the jails and help minor offenders make lasting connections and learn how to be more detrimental to society, especially considering that once they get a record they're chances of making it legitimately all but fades away.

There needs to be a more proactive solution to crime rather then the already failed reactive one. Yet there has been much criticism suggesting that they're are vested interest in maintaining the prison system as is, and the laws the help it flourish. Prison-Industrial Complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison-industrial_complex

Yeah, it's a problem, and I don't presume to have any solution for it. All I know is that I couldn't allow myself to accept the death penalty if it proved to be any type of practical solution.

And sorry for the confusion, DG.

Not to mention the burden they put on the Tax payers. So, essentially, the Murderer's Victim's family would have to put him up for the rest of his life. Doesn't quite sound that fair.

Exactly, what solution is there...it's almost (if not is) a lose lose situation.
I can't even think about it rationally.:csad: I just hate seeing people victimized and nothing really done about it...here in Baltimore they just let half of them go...no prosecution, nothing...it boggles my mind.

-It has been proven that the presence of the death penalty does not reduce crime.
-People have been wrongfully sentenced to death.
-It won't bring your loved ones back
-Two wrongs don't make a right
-It comes off as barbaric

My main points are the fact that it doesn't do anything in terms of discouraging the behaviour, and that if it wasn't in place, some innocent people would still be alive in the cases of wrongful imprisonment.

Excellent points and all very true.

If I were to find myself in a situation where a person I love had been murdered in cold blood, I would be infuriated at the party responsible. But what does it say about our society if we say that killing leads to more killing? Ending a life ends a life? Is any one ever beyond forgiveness? If we follow "Eye-for-an-eye", don't we just end up with two, one-eyed people instead of one?

There is such a thing as life without parole. You could take it a step farther and make it mostly if not all solitary confinement. That seems a more fitting punishment...if a person can't live civilly with others, then remove him from others.

We need to have the death penalty for all crimes, from parking violations to mass murder and none of that lethal injection crap, shoot them dead on sight. That would lower the crime rate.

But really, I'd rather not pay for murderers to live in prisons, I just wish they could get the lethal injections done in a more timely manner.

I think it depends entirely on the circumstances of the crime and if it merits the death penalty. Child molesters, rapists, child killers, and murderers in general should be given the death penalty if it's proven without a reasonable doubt that they did these crimes.

A poster mentioned that perhaps if they were killed on the spot that would drop crime dramatically. Maybe they're right? I know in a lot of Muslim countries if a person shoplifts they get their hand cut off.

I would base it on the circumstance of the crime . The people that have killed maliciously without reason deserve death by hanging. You can say it is barbaric but what does keeping them alive accomplish.
I think you also need solid evidence before carrying out the execution.

I don't know for sure were I stand. You hear about those people that spent all there good years in prison. It is also sad when someone takes the lives of alot of people.

It is a tough call. I would say there are certain people though who are blatantly homicidal and need to be put to death immediately.

I feel some people deserve to die, but I'm against the death penalty. Moral high ground and all that.

I think the Hype! forums should get the death penalty. This place is criminal.

Some countries are abolishing capital punishment.

If they were to raise the punishment of sexual crimes, you'll see a significant drop in those.

My wife did a lot of research on this topic for her college classes. One problem with the death penalty is that it does not prevent the crimes for which it is the punishment. Another, is that it costs around twice as much to put a prisoner to death, as it does to lock them up for life. And third, putting someone to death for a crime has nothing to do with justice. Justice is not supposed to be based on emotion, and executing someone is all about the revenge. Also, we are one of the few, if not the only, modern nation that still uses it.

Oh, and one more thing. I know a lot of the people who support the death penalty, are Christian, so how is it, that a Christian, who believes in the Ten Commandments, (i.e. Thou Shalt Not Kill), can condone the death penatly?

My wife did a lot of research on this topic for her college classes. One problem with the death penalty is that it does not prevent the crimes for which it is the punishment. Another, is that it costs around twice as much to put a prisoner to death, as it does to lock them up for life. And third, putting someone to death for a crime has nothing to do with justice. Justice is not supposed to be based on emotion, and executing someone is all about the revenge. Also, we are one of the few, if not the only, modern nation that still uses it.

Oh, and one more thing. I know a lot of the people who support the death penalty, are Christian, so how is it, that a Christian, who believes in the Ten Commandments, (i.e. Thou Shalt Not Kill), can condone the death penatly?

Good points, and I briefly learned a lot of the stuff your wife did in a complementary criminology course I took. There has been a lot of research done on the topic and the conclusions are the ones you brought up.

I didn't remember the costing twice as much thing, so much for those saying it cuts cost.

As for Christian hypocrisy, well thats nothing new. Can't blame Christians themselves though, the book does a fair job of contradicting itself!

Where do I stand? Next to the noose :(

:D

In my opinion, and I do give it lightly; I am in support of the death penalty, but only for the most harsh crimes and only when DNA testing can give a 100% accuracy. I've come to rethink my stance on crimes like Murder for an example. Murder is a very harsh crime, but certain murder does not warrent death. Life in prison, to me, is very acceptable for such a crime. But I support the Death Penalty and will never change my stance on it because I feel that there are those out there who are too big a threat to modern society to continue living in it. I know I sound like a biggot, I'm sorry.

Child Rapists, Child Molesters and Rapists/Murderers come to mind, right off the bat. To me, I don't care if someone calls me a murderer for supporting their death, it's something that cannot be overlooked. And I don't think revenge when I see it, I think about all of the lives that will be affected if these people are allowed to continue living. Future generations of Child Rapists/Molesters must witness the punishment they will face if they bring harm to a child. I would never want to see the Death Penalty abolished in America for that reason alone. I would though, like to see it toned down a great deal and be reserved ONLY for those who commit the harshest crimes mentionable.

All very valid points. On the Christian support, I think the "Don't murder" commandment would be argued to be different than capital punishment.

I think the most compelling example and reason that any Christian should be against the death penalty is found in the Gospels when Jesus himself says things like...

You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matt. 5: 38, 39)

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." (Matt. 5:43, 44)

So don't do anything out of revenge. But that's what the death penalty is...more about revenge and retribution than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"