Do you think DC's approach is a mess compared to Marvel?

DC does films better.

DC:Wait,do movies slow..make good ones like Batman Begins.But too slow,and they become bad like Superman Returns.

Marvel:Fast,churn out movies like nothing..all films except Spider-Man are horrible.

Good thing DC has excellent examples like Catwoman and Batman Forever! That will show Marvel how to do it. :dry:

Actually Luda, me and you are cool and all, but he has a point. The movies that you named, even though you say they sux, they have done well at the Box office. And honestly as far as fans opinions of the movie, they can go either way. Some love the movies(like me), some hate it(like you) and some just stand flight in the middle and think it's an ok, popcorn flick. I know your opinion won't change, but I think that's what he's basically saying. It's all a matter of opinion.

But movie execs know that the life of a franchise depends more on the perception with the first film and not just the movie's profit. Its why some have been forced to be rebooted and why Marvel created its own studio, in the long run they know they were losing profit than gaining. Look at Daredevil, Punisher, Elektra, Fantastic Four 2. Comic book movies will make money cause of the audience, its the perception and standard that counts (look at Hulk and Superman Returns. Box Office successes but franchises that were considered a failure and forced to reboot).
Plus it doesnt really change my point that most of them were mediocre even in the current golden age of Comic Book movies.

DC does films better.

DC:Wait,do movies slow..make good ones like Batman Begins.But too slow,and they become bad like Superman Returns.

Marvel:Fast,churn out movies like nothing..all films except Spider-Man are horrible.

DC has had ONE decent film in 15 years....:down

I'm quitting DC...

I'm sticking with Marvel...

Tough call. As others have pointed out, DC & WB can't seem to make movies about anyone who isn't Batman or Superman (though Lord knows they tried to make a Wonder Woman film), while Marvel has managed to churn out a slew of films of varrying quality and uneven box office results. I almost feel like I'm being asked to choose which is the lesser of two evils.

Having all said that, overall the genre is still better to even 10 years ago

DC has Catwoman and Return of the Swamp Thing.

Marvel has Captain America and Howard the Duck.

I'd say they both have problems.

Well DC does have the two, arguably, greatest comic book films ever made in Superman: The Movie and Batman Begins. It even looks like The Dark Knight will be even better. The only marvel movies I like are Blade and X2.

Well DC does have the two, arguably, greatest comic book films ever made in Superman: The Movie and Batman Begins. It even looks like The Dark Knight will be even better. The only marvel movies I like are Blade and X2.

Again...............personal opinion. :o

Alright. Tommorrow go on the street and just randomly ask people who Norton and Downey Jr are. :dry:

Pffft....go on the street and just randomly ask people which way is North and you would probably get just as many right answers. That doesn't mean anything.

A year and a half ago, I would have said DC was going to bury Marvel. DC's last 2 films would have been Batman Begins and V for Vendetta which were a terrific one two punch and Singer had jumped aboard Superman Returns. DC looked set for one success after another. Conversely, the last two films for Marvel were Fantastic Four and X-men:Last Stand...not exactly knocking it out of the park. Marvel seemed to be floundering. It looked like the Marvel age of movies was slipping away.

Now...a year and a half later...I feel the reverse. But really it's hard to substantiate that feeling, because Marvel still hasn't made a great movie since then, and the Marvel studios films have yet to come out. As well, the only other film DC has made has been Superman Returns which wasn't on the level of BB or V, but wasn't a bad movie by any means. I guess I'm just a Marvel fan and it is all based on hope.

I like the Marvel films. X3 had some serious issues with the writing, as did Blade, and while Elektra was ripped down a few notches by having a child as a main character, I've generally liked what they put out.

Same with Batman and Superman (suck it, Catwoman). I just don't think DC's trying hard enough.

-Vaportrail

Docker. That's why i said 'arguably'. Although, they do seem to be considered the best, from what I've read on the net and in magazines.

MARVEL movies seems to be in touch with the source material. Sure, there may have been changes here and there, but they do not deviate from the source material as severely as to make the movies feel all the way different

The Execs that control the DC comics movies seems to inject THEIR OWN Understanding... or THEIR OWN Version of the Characters. They appear to disregard the source material totally. Catwoman and Superman Returns are examples. Catwoman was revamped, and Superman Returns was based on an old interpretation that was not really that much true to the source material in the first place (yes, i did not like S:TM)

The Batman franchise was an exception. WHY? They already have pushed all they will their own shallow understanding of what Batman was... And they failed.

Then BLADE came out. It was dark, it was gritty, it was brutal. It was based on a comicbook character not trying to attract the "Happy Meal" crowd. And it was a success.
X-MEN came out. It was serious. It was not campy. It had some deviations. But retained the essence of the source material. It was a success.

Since the Executives responsible for the Batman movies stopped pushing their own shallow concept anymore, they run to the people who TRULY KNEW the Batman storyline. Then after BB's success, they figured that it paid off to trust the source material.

Are we not counting V for Vendetta and Watchmen on DC's side?

WB/DC has Vendetta, this is true, but Watchmen hasn't come out yet.

I think Marvel's approach is a mess compared to DC's personally.

Look at the crappy merch driven Spider-Man films compared to the greatness of BB.

Superman Returns provided mixed reviews sure, but it's flaws are nowhere near putting it on the same level the pitiful crap-fests that are Spider-Man 3 and X3.

I think Marvel's approach is a mess compared to DC's personally.

Look at the crappy merch driven Spider-Man films compared to the greatness of BB.

Superman Returns provided mixed reviews sure, but it's flaws are nowhere near putting it on the same level the pitiful crap-fests that are Spider-Man 3 and X3.
Man, your Spider-Man fans don't even live in reality do you?

Man, your Spider-Man fans don't even live in reality do you?

You mean- 'you, Spider-Man fans...'

I'm pretty much in the minority amongst Spider-Man fans- in that I think the Spidey films suck.
What do you mean exactly?

Picture this, a sunset in the fall. It's beautiful. The entire sky is alike with golden ambers and soft pinks as the Earth makes its unending rotation around the sun.

A normal person walks outside, sees this, and says "Wow, that's beautiful."

A Spider-Man fan walks outside, sees the exact same thing and goes "Goddammit, it's getting dark."

Picture this, a sunset in the fall. It's beautiful. The entire sky is alike with golden ambers and soft pinks as the Earth makes its unending rotation around the sun.

A normal person walks outside, sees this, and says "Wow, that's beautiful."

A Spider-Man fan walks outside, sees the exact same thing and goes "Goddammit, it's getting dark."

Ah man! Good one! I actually laughed out loud at that one! :woot:

But you are right! Why are people saying that DC is better and Marvel is messing up? DC only had one movie that was great and that as BB. Say what you want about SR but it was a disappointment. Not saying that Marvel is perfect cuase they have had disappointments as well but some people just bash Marvel just for the hell of it. :o

Well, I thought SR was going to suck and ended up loving it, so if by disappointment you mean exactly the opposite than yes, it was a disappointment for me.

So ya saying Spidey fans are moaners huh?, well that's only 'cause the comics and films have been sucking.

I thought SR was a fine film. Not as good as STM though.

So ya saying Spidey fans are moaners huh?, well that's only 'cause the comics and films have been sucking.

I thought SR was a fine film. Not as good as STM though.
That's the problem; they're not sucking.

At least, no where near the level you fools are making it out to be. Gwen Stacy has one little tryst, and you're signaling the end of Spider-Man. Meanwhile Superman is becoming a Nazi and Batman's bartending at a place called Daddy's and everyone's cool with it.

Do you read Spider-Man?

FNSM and Sensational have been good, but ASM has been utter turd since 2004. Joe Q seems determined to force feed everyone his own version of Spidey, and to hell with the fans.

First Sins Past, then The Other (so far the two worst Spidey arcs ever), then the unmasking (totally out of character, makes no sense), and now it seems PP/MJ's marriage is about to be erased from everyone's memory's!

JQ can't just have them separate- he such an arrogant and deluded prick that he thinks making out like they never got married is the only way he can move ASM forward.

If you can't see the Spidey books for what they are right now, you don't know what you are talking about.

That's the problem; they're not sucking.

At least, no where near the level you fools are making it out to be. Gwen Stacy has one little tryst, and you're signaling the end of Spider-Man. Meanwhile Superman is becoming a Nazi and Batman's bartending at a place called Daddy's and everyone's cool with it.

Yeah, I don't see the problem with Spider-Man either. I think some fans just have to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"