Sequels Do you think Scott Lang should be saved for an Ant-Man sequel?

spideymouse

Sidekick
Reaction score
Despite Edgar Wright's description of where he would take an Ant-Man film, I really think the Ant-Man film should first focus on Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne. I really liked their characterizations on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes! (though Jan was kind of annoying). They did a great job at making their characters fit into the modern world. I don't think they should have to be forced into their 1960s incarnations.

I do dig Scott Lang's story, but I think it should be captured in a sequel. What do you guys think?

I agree that if they want to do Scott Lang, it should be in a sequel. However, depending on how Wright executes it, I'm fine with Lang being a part of the first film, as long as Hank and Jan are still active and operating as Ant-Man/Giant-Man and Wasp at the end of the film.

I agree that if they want to do Scott Lang, it should be in a sequel. However, depending on how Wright executes it, I'm fine with Lang being a part of the first film, as long as Hank and Jan are still active and operating as Ant-Man/Giant-Man and Wasp at the end of the film.
Yeah, I mean, it's out of our hands anyway... I definitely don't like the idea of having the first film write out the Pyms right off the bat.

I'd agree but Wright's favorite story is TO STEAL AN ANT-MAN. So that's the one he wants to use.

Just not sure how all this will practically fit into the MCU though.

Scott Lang has generally been a pretty marginal character anyway. It's almost always gone back to Hank Pym. Just seems like a very obscure choice.

I'd agree but Wright's favorite story is TO STEAL AN ANT-MAN. So that's the one he wants to use.

Just not sure how all this will practically fit into the MCU though.

Scott Lang has generally been a pretty marginal character anyway. It's almost always gone back to Hank Pym. Just seems like a very obscure choice.
If there's anything I would want a studio corporation to go back to its writer/director on, it would be this. I really hope Feige and co. are able to collaborate with Wright and share a common vision that will do the characters justice and further the MCU as a whole.

My simple answer:

Yes.

Id like them to be faithful with his origin and evolution on the comics, like fans use to like with Marvel movies.

lets see what happens with that Edgar script, hehe

I love Edgar Wright, but I really would prefer Hank Pym as Ant-Man and by extension Janet van Dyne before a Scott Lang film.

If there's anything I would want a studio corporation to go back to its writer/director on, it would be this. I really hope Feige and co. are able to collaborate with Wright and share a common vision that will do the characters justice and further the MCU as a whole.
spideymouse, I mean I want Hank Pym in the MCU. I want to see him interact with all these characters. If this movie is canon to the other movies I don't suddenly want Hank Pym to be stuck originally in the 1960's.

And the other thing why does it only have to be only Ant-Man too? I mean he's also Giant Man too. In the animated series he was able to switch from one form to the other.

spideymouse, I mean I want Hank Pym in the MCU. I want to see him interact with all these characters. If this movie is canon to the other movies I don't suddenly want Hank Pym to be stuck originally in the 1960's.

And the other thing why does it only have to be only Ant-Man too? I mean he's also Giant Man too. In the animated series he was able to switch from one form to the other.
Oh, yeah, no, I totally agree with you. I really liked Pym's characterization in A:EMH. He, more than Lang, would add a special dynamic (and robot) to the team.

What I was saying was that even though I hate when studio corporations meddle with the creative process, Wright's 1960s Pym vision is something on which I would want MS to go back to Wright and say, "No, we want Pym in the present time. Please try to make that work."

Yep definitely go with Lang in the sequel, i hope that they at least mention Pym has a mental condition or at least hint at it in the first film... Allow Pym and Janet to have there time to shine in the Avengers 2. In Ant-man 2 (Well if it does get a sequel anyway) show that Pym is slowly degenerating, with Lang introduced and the focus of the film... End the film with Pym becoming YELLOW JACKET!!!!

I think Scott Lang can be introduced like War Machine in one of the Ant Man films, and then when the actor who is playing Hank Pym's contract is up and he leaves you can bring in the Lang character. Its like when some of the characters on MASH left and they replaced them with different characters and took the show in a different direction in terms of tone. Scott Lang can come in and fill the role as Ant Man and change the tone of the films.
He could even be brought in to become Ant Man when Pym changes to Giant Man. And then when Pym leaves Lang can become the focus of the movies. And Lang can lead to Stature in the films at some point too.

I think Scott Lang can be introduced like War Machine in one of the Ant Man films, and then when the actor who is playing Hank Pym's contract is up and he leaves you can bring in the Lang character. Its like when some of the characters on MASH left and they replaced them with different characters and took the show in a different direction in terms of tone. Scott Lang can come in and fill the role as Ant Man and change the tone of the films.
He could even be brought in to become Ant Man when Pym changes to Giant Man. And then when Pym leaves Lang can become the focus of the movies. And Lang can lead to Stature in the films at some point too.
Interesting. Kind of sounds like the Bourne Legacy thing, with a completely different character taking over as the lead in the same franchise (and the opposite of a reboot).

Selvig had dealings with SHIELD in Thor. He mentioned what SHIELD did to a "pioneer in Gamma radiation." (likely Banner)

Selvig had dealings with SHIELD in Thor. He mentioned what SHIELD did to a "pioneer in Gamma radiation." (likely Banner)
Selvig mentions having a friend who has had dealings with SHIELD during the Thor movie. That is Pym. It has been confirmed by Feige.

Also, of course it's Banner.

OHHH. its a double awesome-scientist-reference. is it strange that an astrophysicist and a particle physicist are colleagues? nah... all scientists know each other.

cool beans. i wonder if he ever got around to that email.

OHHH. its a double awesome-scientist-reference. is it strange that an astrophysicist and a particle physicist are colleagues? nah... all scientists know each other.
Scientists at the top of their fields all know each other, because there are only like 3 or 4. Banner and Stark met each other for the first time in Avengers, but they were already familiar with each other and each other's work.

cool beans. i wonder if he ever got around to that email.
Well, SHIELD did take his laptop =P

so why can't Lang be a minor character with subtle ties to the "to steal an ant-man" story arc? (i.e. Zola in Captain America.) Perhaps a burglar turned test subject and allow Hank to continue being the primary Ant-Man

Maybe hank has a whole team, Janet Van Dyne, Scott Lang, and Bill Foster too. So that Pym not only has Janet, but a group of friends and supporting cast. Then in later films they become bigger characters. Just like Rhodey in Iron Man 1 and 2 and then 3. Scott becomes the next Ant Man, and Bill becomes the next Goliath/Giant Man.

Added to it:
Superman has Jimmy, Lois, Perry. Spider-Man has Aunt May, and sometimes Harry, and MJ or Gwen. Batman has Alfred, and Gordon. Sometimes Blake or Rachel. Green Lantern had Carol Ferris, and his buddy Thomas Kalmaku.
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin
Stark, Rhodey, Pepper, Happy, J.A.R.V.I.S.
Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three
Captain America, Bucky, and the rest of the Howling Commandos
The AVENGERS :p
Superhero films need a good supporting cast I think.
I could totally see them doing something like this:
2473714-avengers_v3_67___red_zone_03___unclassified___31.jpg

Scott Lang is an ex con, and father, hired by Pym for his engineer skills.

795191-goliath2.jpg

Bill Foster is a biochemist who used to work at Stark Industries, and an old friend of Pym's.

2173299-ds_large.png

Janet Van Dyne/Wasp
is the financial backer, her father was rich and left his money to her. She finds science so interesting and and wants to fund it and be there to watch it all, sort of an assistant to Pym. Eventually, in the first movie, she would become his spy partner as well. As the Wasp.

ant_man_movie_costume_by_artistneedham-d5b5hai.jpg
Hank Pym/Ant Man starts out as a lead scientist, and eventually becomes Ant Man. Not sure how, and I don't want to try and guess. I have ideas, like maybe he doesn't feel comfortable with others using his inventions or something. But however it happens Pym, with their aide, invents Pym Particles and the Pym Ant Helmet.

1925740-marvel_shield.jpg
SHIELD agent, Nick Fury or Maria Hill, or some form of SHIELD Agent should also wind up in this film too. Someone to connect Pym to the other films and to the Avengers. Also someone who takes Pym and Janet from a scientist and a rich lady to being super spies.
Bill and Scott would be Rhody and Happy in the Iron Man movies. Not starring parts but important supporting parts for now. Later they can be expanded when Scott becomes Ant Man and Bill becomes Goliath. But in the beginning the stars are Pym and Janet.

Last edited:
Maybe hank has a whole team, Janet Van Dyne, Scott Lang, and Bill Foster too. So that Pym not only has Janet, but a group of friends and supporting cast. Then in later films they become bigger characters. Just like Rhodey in Iron Man 1 and 2 and then 3. Scott becomes the next Ant Man, and Bill becomes the next Goliath/Giant Man.

This makes some sense. I think we like seeing our heroes have a bunch of friends. Makes them likable.

Stark, Rhodey, Pepper, Happy, J.A.R.V.I.S.
Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three
Captain America, Bucky, and the rest of the Howling Commandos
The AVENGERS :p

I love the idea of using Bill Foster and Scott Lang as supporting characters in the first Ant-Man movie.

Pym failed as a solo character too fast for them to really establish a supporting cast for him, and I think a film with Hank, Jan, Jan's father, Bill Foster, Scott Lang, some SHIELD appearances and Whirlwind or Egghead as the villain would be a decent film.

I think Bill Foster and Scott Lang rounding out the cast as Pym's co-workers and friends is a must.
I also like the idea of seeing Ant Man's friends, Janet, Bill, and Scott, being sort of his team and tech
support for him being Ant Man, not just his friends who don't know. But also this would allow them to
transition into taking over for him easier and Janet becomes Wasp, Scott becomes Ant Man, and Bill
becomes Giant Man, showing that all their lives are effected by Hank Pym's being Ant Man/Giant Man/
Yellow Jacket. Sort of like how no one can not be effected, or untouched, by their friends being superheroes.

In the other thread someone suggeested no Ant Man sequel. But How about Ant Man 1 being hank
Pym (who joins the Avengers as Giant Man/Ant Man) while the sequel (Ant Man 2) could be Scott Lang.
It would sort of be a transition film. hank leaves being Ant Man to join the Avengers while Scott takes
up the mantel to save his daughter. Bill Foster could be in both Avengers with Hank and co star in
Ant Man with Scott Lang.
So, to over explain:
Ant Man 1: Hank Pym and Janet become the Ant Man and the Wasp, agents of SHIELD.
Avengers (whatever): Hank and Janet join the Avengers. Janet is the Wasp while Hank
introduces his new inventions and powers as Giant Man. Because he felt like he had to step
things up for the Avneger big leagues. Bill Foster and Scott Lang make cameos.
Ant Man 2: Hank and Janet leave to join the Avengers. While joining the Avengers Hank
becomes Giant Man and leaves being Ant Man behind. Scott Lang's daughter is kidnapped
and he and Bill Foster try to get her back. Lang uses Pym's Ant Man suit and becomes the
new Ant Man with Bill Foster co-starring.

Later down the line Foster can take over for Pym as Giant Man, probably after the actor playing
Pym leaves the cast of Avengers and Ant Man.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"