Comics Does anyone actually care what happens to Aunt May?

ragingdemon155

Superhero
Reaction score
I know I know, its wrong of me to say that.

But honestly, does anyone actually care if she doesn't live at this point? I always felt that she should have been offed in ASM #400. That was a beautiful issue in my eyes. Marvel went and destroyed that by bringing her back, then JMS went along and actually wrote her to be pretty damn interesting.

At this point though with OMD, I couldn't care less as to what happens to her.

Aunt May remains an essential Spider-Man character, the gave her a very honorable death but chose to spit on it. Ok... stupid but really no heavy collateral damage...

But right now...let Aunt May live in order to break the marriage might be (and I'm going to use a geek catchphrase I promised myself not to use) THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD !!!! In my opinion, we are in far more hostile territories than Sin's Past or The Other, because although Sin's Past messed up with the past of a glorified character, but at least you can just throw that away and never talk about it and the Other was just some pointless "death of Superman" with Spider-Man...

But right now, they are going to wipe the marriage out just to keep an old lady alive some more time???? Damn...Mr. Quesada wants to go back to old school Spider-Man stories?? Well having Aunt May die would be a very clever thing to do, because wasn't it Uncle Ben's death that filled Peter Parker with guilt and made him become Spider-Man?? RIght now, they have on their hands a situation who could mimic that Amazing Fantasy 15 story. I mean AUnt May's dying because of Peter decision to go public, "letting" Aunt May die would refresh that "with great power comes great responsibility", che could be some sort of "New" Uncle Ben, if you know what I mean.

Ok it's just a crazy idea, because I think let Aunt May live it's a very stupid thing to do right now

I care what happens to Aunt May. I won't be exremley mad if she dies, but I will be sad if she dies. I do agree though about ASM Issue# 400 being beautiful.

Now, we all have been mostly wrapped up in the problem with Peter & MJ's marriage, but I still haven't forgotten about Aunt May. If I had to choose between keeping the marriage or Aunt may dieing, I would choose Aunt May dieing. Don't get me wrong though, I would love for Aunt may to live, but this would be if I had to absoloutley choose which one.

Actually I think most Spidey fans do care about Aunt May. They're too preoccupied with the whole "Devil taking away the Peter's marriage" thing. Heh.

I mean I'm not an innovator or a big time editor of a major comic book company. Nor am I a great business man. But the way this story has been set up, at least from the beginning of the unmasking storyline, is that Aunt May SHOULD be dying. That is really the logical path that everything has been taking.

Having Mephisto pop up and say, "OOOOO, I have a sweet deal for you!" is completely out of left field.

Honestly, the way the storyline could have gone is BAM Aunt May is shot, Pete searches up and down for help, like he has been...doesn't find it...Aunt May dies. Pete becomes bitter at his fellow heroes for not helping. He becomes bitter with Tony Stark. He becomes angry with himself for unmasking.

Enter Loki.

He gives Pete the favor and retcons the unmasking so that his secret ID goes back in the bag so that MJ doesn't get killed. Then you've got two birds with one stone. You've got Aunt May back in the grave where she should have been years and years ago. And you've got the secret ID back in the bag, and it's a lot more logical and better than what they've done SO FAR.

Pending a miracle in the fourth part I just don't see this story being so good.

SIAT, that is originally what I thought was going to happen. Actually, I think most people on this board judging from their posts thought that Loki was going to be the one to offer Peter this "deal". He owed Peter a favor so he could essentially fix "The Unmasking" so that it never happened. Logically that would have been the only option. But of coarse, Logic seems to elude Joey Q in terms of his judgment involving Spider-man. I understand that Joey Q is obsessed with the marriage. Every single problem that the Spider-verse has encountered in the past few years is because of the marriage. The comics are bad because of the marriage. The marriage is evil, MJ is evil... Everything is Mary Jane's fault, yes yes yes I get all that Joey Q. But there could have been better way's to go about it....much better ways then Mephisto suddenly getting a hard on for Peter's marriage.

Who knows, maybe that 4th part will throw a huge twist at us, Peter/MJ will remain together and "BND" will start off with a bang. Hey, a guy can hope.....

Yeh...maybe after Mephisto: The Devourer of Marriage (much more menacing than Galactus!) is done here....Loki will step up in part 4, and give us some feel-good dialogue about how important marriage is to him. Maybe then he'll save Aunt May, the marriage, and retcon the unmasking and sins past instead???

:csad:

I dunno...with all his anti-marriage talk for SO LONG...and this gem of a "Story"....it is hard to even remember that Aunt May is on her death bed...except for the fact that Pete has whined about her thru BIB and the first two issues of OMD to remind us that a small part of this story is kinda about her and not the marriage.

But the thing is...i don't think ANYONE should DIE or have anything MONUMENTAL happen to them in such a STINKY ARC.

I don't want HER death, or ANYONE"S,... remembered and tied to this poor poor mess of OMD.

She deserves a nice death, if she were to die...and not a cheesy story.

I mean, MJ and Pete don't deserve a cheesy ending either.

Argh.

I do care what happens to Aunt May, but using her as an excuse to erase the marriage is pure crap... If she were to die, let her die with dignity... She's lived her life, besides... Ben's waiting for her on the other side... Peter and MJ have their whole life ahead of them... she died, then came back as a stronger character... to kill her off or have her live in exchange of Peter's happines is ludicrous... what's next, Aunt May makes a deal with Mephisto to RESTORE the marriage? theus we end up in devil deals loops... maybe they should hire the ghost of Cochrane in order to trick Joe Ques... I mean Mephisto...

I stopped caring after the original was retconned into an actress. I really just stopped.

Wait I just realized something. Is Loki even alive? Last we heard he died with thor and the rest of the Asgardians in Ragnorak right? In that respect i guess i understand why they're not using him. If Loki's gonna come back, its gona havta be in a Thor comic, it wouldnt be right having him ressurected in an issue of Spiderman. I guess we'll havta wait and see if he pops up in Thor.

I care about her, i just dont want her to ruin pete and mj's marrige thats all, it sucks so much, comics favorite couple is departing forever

I really don't care what they do with Aunt May. They've screwed up so much in the Spidey universe that the character is practically foreign to me at this point.

Without doing a 'reset' with her maybe regaining her youth, I don't know what direction they could take her in at this point. I know I'm tired of her being the excuse for Peter's endless, pointless, annoying and stupid guilt.

I care about what they do with Aunt May. Just because she's currently the focus of a sucktastic story doesn't mean that the character can't be used in Spider-Man stories. She has her place. The powers that be just need to recognize their own issues with the marriage and return her to her role as close family to Peter.

Wait I just realized something. Is Loki even alive? Last we heard he died with thor and the rest of the Asgardians in Ragnorak right? In that respect i guess i understand why they're not using him. If Loki's gonna come back, its gona havta be in a Thor comic, it wouldnt be right having him ressurected in an issue of Spiderman. I guess we'll havta wait and see if he pops up in Thor.

Lol, I was witing for someine to say that... A lot of people here seem to disregard this fact.

On the May front, well yea, I do care. One of the best things JMS has done has made May a pivitol character for the 1st time in Spidey history! Rather than the old bag everyone waited for to die...

But the worst thing is, is that it's all pretty much confirmed that May's knowledge of Pete being Spidey is going away. I really enjoyed the Pete/MJ/May dynamic for the last few years. To be honest alll that bloody hiding just was f'n tedious after a while. Even as a kid it pissed me off!

I just realised that I care more about Aunt May than Peter does. She said that she was tired and was ready to die. If I were Peter, I would...you know...respect her wishes. But he would rather end his marriage and make a deal with the devil (literally) than listen to his dying aunt. Yeah Pete, trust Mephisto of all people. Great idea. :whatever:

He's thinking about what he wants, not what she wants.

Good point demogoblin.

If Pete and MJ were real heroes...they'd respect the wishes of the dying.

Not to mention...PEte from all his dealings with crooks/villians and stuff over the years...let alone MEPHISTO...would know not to trust them...especially RIGHT AFTER trusting Iron-man with his life...and he is a "hero"...!...and he just got burned by HIM...Pete and MJ both KNOW that.

Yet they are written oblivious to their own continuity....just to reach a marriage break-up which is "point B' of the JQ agenda.

But he would rather end his marriage and make a deal with the devil (literally) than listen to his dying aunt. Yeah Pete, trust Mephisto of all people.

Not to mention...PEte from all his dealings with crooks/villians and stuff over the years...let alone MEPHISTO...would know not to trust them...especially RIGHT AFTER trusting Iron-man with his life...and he is a "hero"...!...and he just got burned by HIM...Pete and MJ both KNOW that.

Again, as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Peter will make this decidion. He would rather keep his marriage AND save Aunt May, so he knows better than to "deal with the devil".

Having said that, I believe Mary Jane will make this decision unbeknowst to Peter, who could never live with himself in spite of who he would choose.

You may be right. But, I hope that MJ is NOT the one who makes the decision.

I'd feel insulted, like they were writing her in one more, last way as a moron before cutting her off as Pete's wife.

SHe is a strong person, just like Pete, who would NOT make that decision either.

Seriously, If MY wife made such a LOONEY over-the-top decision....trading a life long of marriage for an old aunt...i'd be furious....and in no way would i see it as a heroic sacrifice.

If i ever remembered it! lol

I just realised that I care more about Aunt May than Peter does. She said that she was tired and was ready to die. If I were Peter, I would...you know...respect her wishes. But he would rather end his marriage and make a deal with the devil (literally) than listen to his dying aunt. Yeah Pete, trust Mephisto of all people. Great idea. :whatever:

He's thinking about what he wants, not what she wants.

Thus the rant of his alternate reality daughter.

Peter really is being an idiot throughout OMD. He can't even recognise his own daughter, even if she is from some alternate reality.

I know that all the God characters died in Ragnorak a few years back. But they just brought Thor back. The writer of Amazing Spider-Man is...JMS. The writer of Thor is...JMS. They could have brought Loki back for the storyline. They just wanted to use the devil because it's probably "more significant". Loki would have been more logical with the whole "...I owe you one" thing. Nothing like having an all powerful Asgardian God owing you a freakin' favor. :o

Not really. We've been through this near death thing with her over a dozen times already. She's died what, twice already (?...) and now she's near death once again. Honestly I'm a bit sick of it at this point.

Yeah, you know what? Now that you have said it, Web-Head, Aunt May has been on death's bed quite a lot through the history of Spider-Man.

I'm sure every Spider-Man fan remembers the classic Amazing Spider-Man # 33. Aunt May was dying in that one. And I'm sure a plethora of other books. Haha.

It IS quite reason enough to finally get rid of her. But I guess having the devil wreck the marriage makes more sense than killing a character, that quite honestly, hasn't really served much of a purpose.

I don't want May to die like this, but I reaaly don't want the marriage to be retconned just to save her life, only to have her suffer her umptenth heart attack. Seriously, what are the Marvel's writers issues with MJ and Peter being married? Is it so bad that it'd be worth going through hell to keep an elderly May alive? Is their marriage worth OMD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"