Comics Does anyone find this editorial the least bit sensical?

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.comics2film.com/b/index....thor=&page=1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&disp=single

Xavier's Dream, Dead?

What the hell have they done to the X-Men? Someone please tell me! I know someone can, because (according to the stats) there are a lot of fans out there still reading these books.
My initial exposure to the Xavier mansion's mutant cast was right around the time that The Hellfire Club first came into the picture. Chris Claremont hooked me immediately with the plots, but the minute I saw Wolverine pop out of the sewer at the end issue #132? Done. Fully blown addiction, just like that, and it lasted more than a decade for me.
The things Claremont did when Paul Smith came on to Uncanny X-Men is still my all time favorite comic work. Partly because it was an amazingly fun series of events in the book, but also because it was when I really embraced the medium. The days when every album you heard could potentially change your life and whatever else you got into, you REALLY got into it.
Flash forward to the 90's boom. I was regularly helping out at my local comic shop and you had the death of Kirby and the distribution war. I was so disgusted with Marvel's business practices that I quit buying their books altogether. Soapboxes are a *****, and I seem to have no problem standing on one all day if need be. Didn't spend a dime on a Marvel book for years after that.
But lo and behold...Grant Morrison happened to the mutant universe. How could I not be curious about what his take would be on my beloved stable of heroes and villains? (Now just give me a minute because I'm gonna come back to this one shortly!)
So...like I've said. I know there's more than a few of you out there that are reading these books. Have you noticed that you find yourself having to wash the muck off of your hands after reading an issue these days? Seems like that's the only thing that's happening anymore, dragging the cast repeatedly through the muck over and over again. Cyclops alone should be at least twice his physical size due to the extreme amount of dirt and muck that is clinging to him. What the hell? Scott is actually the perfect example of everything that's so wrong with The X-Men. He's been made to be a complete ass. His character is so far off from what he's supposed to be that it pretty much kills the books for me.
In the same vein, there's the mishandling of Nightcrawler. Hey, he's got a spiritual side so let's overdo it as much as we can and make it an overpowering aspect in his character! Yeah yeah! Make him a priest for awhile, that'll be awesome too!
But Joss Whedon is trying. He's obviously read the same books I referenced earlier and has just as much love for what the X community used to mean, but I think he's bogged down by the mud and mire of what started, continuity wise, with the things Grant Morrison did.
I think Grant's story was great, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it and thought he took situations that could easily be called "tapped out" and did what Grant Morrison does on a regular basis...he mixed it up. BIG time. But there's the rub. I think, partly, that he shouldn't have been allowed to do that so drastically. It didn't help that when he left, the replacement writers (was Chuck Austin in there?) really had no clue as to where to go with it. Yet I really thought that what was done was interesting and entertaining. I'm a big believer in writers getting the opportunity to run with stuff. Don't hold them back and let the creativity fly and that change can be great.
Basically, I've found myself in a bad catch 22. Anyone else identify with this? Joss Whedon's book is one of my sleeper faves. I never think about it or get excited, but when each new issue comes out and I bring it home, it goes right toward the top of the pile.
About 6 or 7 months ago I started picking up Uncanny X-Men and X-Men. Those books, aside from Chris Bachalo's wonderful art, are terrible. I am finding myself hating characters that I used to love. Every one of them has huge issues with secrets, inner turmoil, bad decisions, cycles of death or just a huge viral outbreaking of what can only be called "*******-ishness".
Does this actually entertain any of you? Really? Look deep into your opinion here. Are you reading these books because of quality and love, or is it out of habit?
Astonishing X-Men doesn't deserve this rant. Art and story are very well done on that one but I think there needs to be a gut check at Marvel. Stop plowing along because of what's been established with the newer character dynamics, kick the muck off of them, and get them back to being the heroes they're supposed to be, not just *******s who save the day and cry at night.
'Fist out.

Seems to me to be a bunch of baseless fanboyism...what do you think?

I can kind of understand where he's coming from, because a lot of characters have been abused in the last decade...

But as a whole it's just rant that, in the end, makes little sense.

The worst part was it was front page news on Comics2film.

Honestly I agree that some characters have been a miss used or reresented but in a whole with the Xaviar Dream and Cyke not being the way they should...I think it is there. He just isn't reading the stuff in front of him. Everything is there, just being portrayed a different way. That rant was just like Canemacar said, "Wall o' Text.".

He also got a really big point wrong.

Whedon very openly stated when he signed on ,said that the Morrison run had gotten him back into X-Men And if it wasn't Morrisons' New X-Men run, he'd have probably not have taken the gig.

Whedon was also very responsible for bringing back many of Morrisons' dangling threads/plotlines back into conintuity. Unlike everyone else just before him, (e.g. Chuck Austen,) who were pretty much doing away with Morrisons' continuity.

Whedon's got that much clout, and he liked the storylines, so he brought 'em into his run.

i personally hope that Cassandra Nova finally gets the limbo treatment she permanently deserves after Whedon's run. Nobody should ever mention her name again....kinda like they are sadly doing with Adam X ;)

Whedon very openly stated when he signed on ,said that the Morrison run had gotten him back into X-Men And if it wasn't Morrisons' New X-Men run, he'd have probably not have taken the gig.

Whedon was also very responsible for bringing back many of Morrisons' dangling threads/plotlines back into conintuity. Unlike everyone else just before him, (e.g. Chuck Austen,) who were pretty much doing away with Morrisons' continuity.

Whedon's got that much clout, and he liked the storylines, so he brought 'em into his run.
Yeah I noticed that problem too. Whedon's run has pretty much been an entire sequel to Morrison's run, complete with tons of references.

It has no structure or reason behind it. Pretty sucky article.

i personally hope that Cassandra Nova finally gets the limbo treatment she permanently deserves after Whedon's run. Nobody should ever mention her name again....kinda like they are sadly doing with Adam X ;)

But I would like to see Adam X again...move over Vulcan! :cmad:

I like Cassandra Nova. She is an interesting change of pace, and a good new villain...especially since X-Men has been avoiding a lot of good villain stuff recently.

Yeah, I find the article a bit baseless and random... although sometimes I find myself feeling the same way. I'll pick up a recent X-title, look through it, and think, "Ugh."

One point does make sense in the whole thing. That one line question:

"What the hell have they done to the X-Men?"

The guy who wrote that article clearly just went off on a major rant. He even seems to lack a sense of focus. Some of what he's saying makes sense, though.

That said, Cassandra Nova is one of my least favorite villains from Morrison's run. She had no motivation for being a bad guy, other than being the evil side of Charlie's soul. Hell, even her origin doesn't make sense. The stillborn fetus of Charlie's unborn twin sister congealed in a gutter? Oohhhkay. Sublime had a better origin.

Cassandra Nova could be a kick ass villain if it wasn't for her silly as hell origin.

Adam X was lame and I'm glad he's gone. He was the epitome of the 90s and what was wrong with most new characters then.

Vulcan's not much better though.

I actually agree with him. I can't even get myself to pick up an X-men book anymore even though they were once my favorite superhero team.

I know what's making the new teen book less fun than Generation X and New Mutants: death. Rampant, unwarranted death. The guys writing New X-Men don't know how to create a sense of drama & danger without someone dying, even if it's magical and temporary.

Getting someone back into something and "entertaining" someone .... those are two vastly different things.

Allow me to explain. Were I a writer/director in Hollywood, hearing about "Sins Past" would have gotten me back into Spidey if I hadn't been reading and I would have done everything in my power to become a Spidey writer to specifically adress those plot-points which needed changing. Since I would be a writer in this scenerio, I couldn't very well state my nausea at the story, I'd simply say that it "got me back into Spidey." Then I'd try to make sense of that craptacular story. To some, that would appear to be me being a JMS fan by following his plot-lines. In reality, I'd be a janitor, cleaning up his rancid defecation. This may well be what's happened with Whedon.
When I read JW's work... I get the same feeling I got when reading the original Hellfire Club arc at age 13... when reading Morrison's "New X-Men" I think, "WOW, this guy HATES the X-Men." BIG DIFFERENCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"