World Doing it right. (Games)

Silverstein

Superhero
Reaction score
Comic-Fan gamers have been asking for the same things over and over, and most of the time they get ignored, but are still promised those things. It's like companies know what we want but won't do it because if they make the perfect Spider-Man game then no one will have to buy another.

They could make horrible games for 10 years making millions off fans, and then when it looks like sales are dropping, they'll release something like WOS which is marginally better, but enough so to give fans hope and continuing shelling out cash.

It's not hard to imagine a great Spider-Man game. So this is the idea I've come up with.

General Storyline and Plot:

Chapter 1
Riots are breaking out in New York City. It turns out that Osborn is using Oscorp Industries to make and market a drug that gives the users temporary super powers. You have to keep taking it or you will loose the powers. It is based after the Super Soldier Serum and gives the user super stregnth, speed and endurance.
It is, of course, an illegal drug and thus Green Goblin enlists henchmen and thugs to push the drug on the streets. People get a rush out of having powers and being "more than human" so they use their powers to exact revenge on their enemies, steal things, or just cause trouble.

Osborn creates a more permanent version of this drug and plans to put it in the water of everyone in New York City. Specifically a certain company that sells water world wide. (Poland Sping or Deer Park rip off) His theory is that when everyone has super powers, no one will. This will in effect ruin Spider-Man, because there will be great power and NO responsibility.

Chapter 2:

When all of that is done, Spider-Man finds out that during the rioting, prisoners escaped from Ryker's. He has to track down several villains including: Scorpion, Electro, Hobgoblin, Owl, Hammerhead, Hydroman, Sandman, Shocker, Rhino, Vulture, Chameleon, Morbius, Beetle, Doctor Octopus, Jack'O'Lantern and Mysterio(one person...Both are Beck. When you arrest him as Mysterio, it's actually a robot). S.H.I.E.L.D. will be in contact with you during this part of the game though, so you will get information from them. And they are the ones that come to arrest the villains.

Gameplay:

Chapter 1 will play like the typical "Free Roam" super hero game. With different Acts and segments which will lead up to the final battle with Green Goblin. You fight him various times during this chapter, though so you would get your fill for when you move on to the next chapter.

Chapter 2 will play like Shadow of the Collosus. In other words, you get to free roam over the entire city with no rush and no time limit. Time of day changes freely on it's own and you can progress as slowly or as quickly as you wish. There is no filler "minion" battles. All you have to do is find the bosses, in their respective areas of town and fight them. Once you beat them, they're brought back to jail.

Having it done that way allows for so many boss fights and villains in Chapter 2. Each villain has a cutscene intro and "ending" for once they are defeated.

Allies:
You have two seperate lists of allies. One list is for the allies that you can get at any time, and the second list is chapter specific. S.H.I.E.L.D. has assigned certain heroes to go after certain villains, and those are the heroes you're allowed to call on during those missions.

Chapter 1: Black Cat, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage are available.
Chapter 2: Wolverine, Black Widow, Captain America, and Iron Man are available.

In this game however, the allies do more than act as Summons, they each have unique abilities that can help you do certain things. For instance:

Black Cat: Can attack enemies for you, while you try to hack a computer or open a door. Or vice versa.
Captain America: He will shield you and push back enemies as you heal, if your health is really low.
Wolverine: can help you find enemies that are hidden like Chameleon or Sandman and Hydroman. (He won't fight them, of course, that's your job)
Iron Man: Can open doors that you can't..

So yeah, Allies can only be used on side missions or against "minions" or thugs, not against bosses.

Customization:

Peter and MJ's apartment is in the game. You can access it physically, by going there and via the pause menu. The basics are in the pause menu, but the more advanced things are only accesible by going to the apartment.

-Change Spidey's costume(powers): Classic(fastest), Scarlet(impact webbing and stronger webs), Black suit(increased strength, longer health bar), Spidey Armor (invulnerable, slowest)
-Change Spidey's costume (No powers): Peter Parker, Paper Bag Man, Ben Reily costume, and Dusk
-Spidey Store: Buy moves and upgrades
-Gallery: View Concept Art, pictures and character bios
-Flashback: After completing the game, you can go back to a certain Chapter with all of the things you've unlocked or bought.

New York City:

Take the city in Spider-Man 2 but give it the graphics of Web of Shadows. Add in Connie Island (Where you fight Sandman and Hydroman), and replace the above ground train with a section of subway. (it wouldn't even have to be the whole city just one area that goes around in circles), and that would be the city.

A thread about doing a Spidey game right a few days after Web of Shadows is released. I'm going to assume that game didn't live up to expectations then? What a surprise. Spidey has not had a decent game since Spider-Man 2.

I like most of your suggestions. And they should take as many locations from the comics that they can. Look at the Spider-Man games on the PS1. Loads of locations from the Spidey comics used in that. The Daily Bugle, The Lizard's sewers, Doc Ock's underwater Master Planner lair etc.

I think Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3 are freaking great. I liked USM the most (comic style graphics, good story expanding one of my favorite series). Spider-Man 3 gave me what I wanted in a Spider-Man game (I even made a thread a year before release of what I'd like and that's what I got).

Sorry to say but Spider-Man 2 the game is overrated. Yes, it's still awesome etc, but the high point with that game was swinging and free roam. It's weird to me when people say it's perfect and the swinging is flawless. To me, it wasn't flawless. It was a bit too stiff looking. Fast and fun, but not fluid. Spider-Man 3 made the swinging more realistic. I think the weblines should have expanded longer, but it's still fun for me.

Web of Shadows however, damn. They killed the Spider-Man 2 and 3 games. The game has some framerate issues when going too fast, and that annoys me, but it only really happens in the destroyed infected city.
WoS has gotten good to great reviews, and IGNorant gave it a mediocre review. However, they are dumb when it comes to reviewing games anyway.
I personally can't trust any review. The best critic is myself. I have to judge whether or not I like it.

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3 and actually, alot of the Spidey games that came out.

Except Friend or Foe. Bleh. That gave me worries when the teaser site was launched and the demo was an instant no. Not for me.

Ultimate Spider-Man was too repetitive. All you seem to do for most of the game is chase someone. Got old really fast.

Spider-Man 3 game was garbage.

Joker, have you picked up WoS, yet? I think you should because it's a great game. Gamespot gave it an 8.0 and users on there have it from a 9.0 to a 10. :up:

I think Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3 are freaking great. I liked USM the most (comic style graphics, good story expanding one of my favorite series). Spider-Man 3 gave me what I wanted in a Spider-Man game (I even made a thread a year before release of what I'd like and that's what I got).

Sorry to say but Spider-Man 2 the game is overrated. Yes, it's still awesome etc, but the high point with that game was swinging and free roam. It's weird to me when people say it's perfect and the swinging is flawless. To me, it wasn't flawless. It was a bit too stiff looking. Fast and fun, but not fluid. Spider-Man 3 made the swinging more realistic. I think the weblines should have expanded longer, but it's still fun for me.

Web of Shadows however, damn. They killed the Spider-Man 2 and 3 games. The game has some framerate issues when going too fast, and that annoys me, but it only really happens in the destroyed infected city.
WoS has gotten good to great reviews, and IGNorant gave it a mediocre review. However, they are dumb when it comes to reviewing games anyway.
I personally can't trust any review. The best critic is myself. I have to judge whether or not I like it.

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3 and actually, alot of the Spidey games that came out.

Except Friend or Foe. Bleh. That gave me worries when the teaser site was launched and the demo was an instant no. Not for me.

I don't quite understand your point. I wasn't reviewing WOS. I even said that. I'm talking about the future of Spider-Man games and what they can do to be better. I never said SM2 was completely and utterly flawless, so why you brought that up is a mystery to me.

USM and SM3 were flawed, you can like it if you want. But they were flawed. MORESO than SM2 and older Spider-man games. You, and others that are supportive of the newer games seem to be wowed by graphics not gameplay.

USM was alright game, it wasn't trash, but it was mostly a racing game. Chase this person, run from that person...Do these races, do those. If you like it, fine. But that's not THE Spider-man game. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I don't want to settle for less or take the minimum when they could make a game that just defines the character.

But again, I'm discussing future games, particularly, what I just spent time and some effort typing out for you to read...Not discussing reviews or opinions about half assed games. And who does or does not like them...

I wasn't suggesting that you said SM2 was perfect, I was saying I see people say that. Just giving my 2 cents in the thread with my previous post. Not attacking you or trying to start anything.

It just seems to me they get it better every time. Spider-Man was like a new version of the PS1 games, then Spider-Man 2 raised the bar saying "no more PS1 style" because that was in many peoples' eyes, how a Spider-Man game should be. Free and fast.

Then as for my own opinion, USM did even greater to me, and Spider-Man 3 was like I said, what I wanted. I never did say it was flawless though. I have my own issues with that game. But it's still a fun game for me.
Then Friend or Foe came out. -_- It's like, take one step back and then two steps forward (meaning Web of Shadows).
But they should have never put FoF out. Blah.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a flawless video game to me anyway.

My biggest issue with all the games after Spider-Man (2002), is the lack of extras. USM had more than SM3 did. And SM3 had more than WoS. Weird?

I wasn't suggesting that you said SM2 was perfect, I was saying I see people say that. Just giving my 2 cents in the thread with my previous post. Not attacking you or trying to start anything.

It just seems to me they get it better every time. Spider-Man was like a new version of the PS1 games, then Spider-Man 2 raised the bar saying "no more PS1 style" because that was in many peoples' eyes, how a Spider-Man game should be. Free and fast.

Then as for my own opinion, USM did even greater to me, and Spider-Man 3 was like I said, what I wanted. I never did say it was flawless though. I have my own issues with that game. But it's still a fun game for me.
Then Friend or Foe came out. -_- It's like, take one step back and then two steps forward (meaning Web of Shadows).
But they should have never put FoF out. Blah.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a flawless video game to me anyway.

My biggest issue with all the games after Spider-Man (2002), is the lack of extras. USM had more than SM3 did. And SM3 had more than WoS. Weird?

As far as extras go, I still dont know why Web of shadows on 360/ps3 didnt get the costumes from the wii version at least

my dream game though would have a ton of costumes as extra skins with some having powers that they had in the comics

http://surf.to/skacorps - after all im pretty sure even this site is incomplete as to all the costumes and transformations they could use.

Also it would use a more fluid version of the spider-man 2 webbing engine (with two independant left/right arm webbing buttons if possible), combat similar to WoS, and free roam including after the main story, which would be random crimes, bosses breaking out again, and bosses exclusive to the post-story game.

Get good voice actors also. and a good plot involving the classic non symbiote villains like Green Goblin (norman), Doc ock, lizard, and Hobgoblin (kingsley) among others.

fictional new york with daily bugle, baxter building, etc. for the city

also allies and lots of cameos. and JJJ apearances for comic relief.

Essentially they should look at the ps1 games for some inspiration. WoS was a good step though, since i want a game featuring a 616-style spider-man that isnt bogged down by movie plots or the ultimate universe.

But seriously. if nothing else the crazy amount of costumes and what if? mode from the ps1 games need to come back.

So far though i have at least liked Spider-man ps1, Enter electro, the movie, spider-man 2, spider-man 3, and spider-man WoS. He has a better track record than most superheroes with games, and since ps1 its been better than spider-man's old hit or miss record, barring friend or foe.

A thread about doing a Spidey game right a few days after Web of Shadows is released. I'm going to assume that game didn't live up to expectations then? What a surprise. Spidey has not had a decent game since Spider-Man 2.

I like most of your suggestions. And they should take as many locations from the comics that they can. Look at the Spider-Man games on the PS1. Loads of locations from the Spidey comics used in that. The Daily Bugle, The Lizard's sewers, Doc Ock's underwater Master Planner lair etc.

See, I didn't even enjoy Spider-Man 2...all three of the movie game adaptations were too boring, imo.

The only Spider-Man game I did enjoy was the one for PS1, N64, and it was very original...plus, Monster Ock...the hardest boss in the game, lol.

Spider-Man: WoS, however, is pretty good...I'm only halfway, but I am liking the graphic, the abilities and even the story...it's just another symbiote-infestation, but it focuses more so on Eddie Brock[BLACKOUT] who in the end sacrifices himself to end it all, when the leftover symbiotes combine into a giant "Venomzilla"...the Red Path...Black Path, Spidey is the one that kills Eddie and the "Venomzilla"[/BLACKOUT], but the symbiotes also control Vulture, Electro, Black Cat and Wolverine, which is nice to see some allies and villains controlled by the symbiote.

Although, a sequel needs to be made that isn't a "conclusion" of this story...forget about the Black Path where[BLACKOUT]Spidey becomes evil[/BLACKOUT], but focus on something with OsCorp and Green Goblin...possibly have a GG, Doc Ock team-up, which would be interesting and a new thing for a Spider-Man video game.

Heck, I would love to see Hobgoblin make an appearance in a video game.

But not Mysterio, I hate that character.

I always find a lack of story telling in most SH hero games. Yes, you are a hero and you have cool powers, but most heroes you fall in love with the character, the powers just are what make them able to do what they do. I would love to see a game based around Wilson Fisk, because there is so much potential with that. My thoughts would be...

Chapter 1
The game starts off with you as spiderman laying in bed when you hear the sirens of nearby police, it then shows you to jump out of bed and out your window. You start swinging by, and the first mission would just be to capture the criminal, but not kill him, but tie him up with web. (This would be a great way to introduce the good/bad scenario as you could go either way.) From there, you'd go on to have to look for a job, as peter parker. Not as the web slinger because nobody knows your spiderman, pizza delivery, window washer, wrestler, are just some suggestions. You have to raise say 500$ to be able to pay rent on time.

On your way home, by your house you see a glider fly by...."GREEN GOBLIN OH MY!!" You now have free range, what you want to do, you can lose your apartment for not paying on time (an apartment would allow you to purchase other web moves, save whenever you want etc.)and find out what he did after you paid , you can take up the mantle of spiderman almost instantly, and chase after the green goblin to see whats up, or just go about doing whatever you feel like, harassing people (being able to web regular civilians), practice your web slinging, become an evil spiderman and rob ppl. Of course eventually there would be an issue with Green Goblin that would occur after arriving in a certain area (my thoughts would be the bugle)​
(epic battle end of chapter 1)

If you followed the linear story, and chased after Green goblin you would see he was meeting with Fisk. You over hear about there plan to take over the city, and all of a sudden you'd see the sinister six show up, asking what this is about, you find out that there planning to do a massive crime spree, with there first hit going to be at THE BUGLE! Knowing full well you can't take all 6 of them plus fisk, right then and there, you can either go get your own hero help (aka wolverine) etc, and wait for them at the bugle....but see this is where I'd have it totally different, I'd have a MAP that didn't have "where" to go like the other games, just a map of all the main structures etc, and street names....this would allow you to roam more freely without constantly having a reminder on your screen saying "THIS SI WAHT YOU RSUPPOSED TO BE DOIN!1!'!'1" which i really felt was what made WoS seem so repetitive after a while. I'd like a bullet time mode as well, because spiderman is supposed to have awesome reflexes, this would allow for a lower amount of health, and make the game difficult, but like wise the bosses woudln't have a bajillion hit points, just because they have a bajillion hit points doesn't make them hard to beat, it just means it takes more time, and a whole lot more repetitive.

Other things, would be like taking peter to university to study etc, putting priority's into girls/spiderman, other things like that....that would make this game sooo much more replayable. And although some of you will say "Im buying a spiderman game to play as spiderman" Well, peter parker is just as much as spiderman as clark kent is to superman, I want to feel like a Super hero when I play a super hero game, i wanna have to hide my identidy and keep the act up. Not just be randomly missing to my loved ones, and thats where I think almost all video games have lacked is they focus so much on what cool powers to give the super hero they lack why this hero is different than another.

I want a game when beaten you can play it as a variety of villains! Octopus, Scorpion, any of the Goblins and symbiotes, Electro, Vulture...EVERYONE!

I always wanted a good video game about Spidey that has good continuity...but, then again, I wanted a third S-M movie to have good continuity as well...that's what we call LIFE though.

You know, I actually don't care that much about the story if the game delivers awesome excuses to fight big bosses like Goblin, Octopus, Venom/Carnage or even a full Sinister Six battle (now THAT would be awesome in a game).

The first Spiderman game on the PS1 had a decent story because it had good gameplay possibilities for a Spidey game. Just look at all the cool boss fights it had and the best gameplay out there by that time.

I agree that the companies know what fans want but they don't do it for some money making issues. Yet, it feels quite dumb that, if they want to earn millions of this franchise, why don't they sit down and make a decent game as a base (with all the fans suggestions) and then start releasing sequels using the same game base but with different storylines, achievements, moves and some improvements (as long as they dont completly alter or neglect an already existing feature)...

I'll keep dreaming... :p

USM was the most fun for me but way too short.
SM3 game agreed was crap I regret paying 30 dollars for it.
They should just make a game where you start from scratch.
have the opening cut scene be the spider-biting him and everything.
have you do scienetific things not excessively.. but maybe build the web shooters and then have to earn money from your pictures for the bugle to buy ingredients for webbing. and other things like that.
also I think it'd be really cool if you had to live the duel lives. of being both peter parker and spider-man. kinda like how in GTA4 you can make plans, and then lets say you miss them cause you're on a mission or something it effect the whole story. like make you actually have the be peter parker I feel lke that'd be a more fun experience for me than the last 5 spider-man games I'e played.

Last edited:
I personally think that if it's possible, whoever develops the next Spidey game should just use the SM2 engine. Almost all of us can agree that that was the best and the rest of the stuff were downgrades.

Basically, I think the next few games should combine things from S-M2 and WoS. Personally, I think it would work great. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"