Dormammu - the dread thread

Yeah Dormammu might be a very powerful being, but he does have his ignorance to certain things in all the worlds he's collected I'm sure

It's also said in the movie that time doesn't exist in the Dark Dimension as it is a universe beyond time,so Dormammu couldn't neither know nor use it. Strange just brought time from our world to Dormammu's as a winning card.

Considering how powerful they've made Dormammu. Ya'll think it's possible that he will be the "Galactus" this universe needs for it's next big battle?

Considering how powerful they've made Dormammu. Ya'll think it's possible that he will be the "Galactus" this universe needs for it's next big battle?

Honestly, I'd rather they actually got the rights and did Galactus properly.

Although that's tough to do without the Fantastic Four (where all the best Galactus stories take place).

To be honest the next big battle is going to be Thanos, and he's a big enough problem.

As for Domammu, I kind of see it like Wong said in the film, that the Avengers protect the universe from physical threats, and the sorcerors protect it from mystical threats.

I'm okay with Dormammu staying as Dr Strange's problem, but that's just IMO. Actually, given that we've seen Strange take on Dormammu face to face, I kind of wonder (other than obviously Mordo's descent into evil) where they're going to go with the next Dr Strange movie.

It's also said in the movie that time doesn't exist in the Dark Dimension as it is a universe beyond time,so Dormammu couldn't neither know nor use it. Strange just brought time from our world to Dormammu's as a winning card.

Yeah, agreed. Don't really get why folks had a problem with that. In fact it was probably the only infinity stone that would have been sufficient to stalemate Dormammu because its power was something he couldn't comprehend, just as First Avenger says.

In fact, of all the uses of time-travel in popular fiction it's probably one of the best ones IMO (or ones that makes the most sense, time travel on the Flash TV show is fun, but makes no sense at all).

I do hope in Dr Strange 2 we find out about the "cost" as Mordo put it, for breaking natural law with the time stone - otherwise Strange has an easy fix for pretty much every problem. It would be great to see more of the dangers of using the Eye of Agomotto, as well as its powers -fingers crossed for Dr S 2!

I do hope in Dr Strange 2 we find out about the "cost" as Mordo put it, for breaking natural law with the time stone - otherwise Strange has an easy fix for pretty much every problem. It would be great to see more of the dangers of using the Eye of Agomotto, as well as its powers -fingers crossed for Dr S 2!
I guess in DS2, The Eye of Agamotto no longer hosts the Time Stone

I'm loving it that "Dormammu, I've come to bargain!" has a chance of becoming a meme. :D

I guess in DS2, The Eye of Agamotto no longer hosts the Time Stone

Interesting. I felt like the "magic" part of the eye was the time stone itself, and the amulet was just really a housing for it ( We've seen what happens when people touch infinity stones in Cap TFA and GOTG, they disintigrate )

I suppose Thanos could have snatched it for Infinity War by the time Dr S 2 roles around, who knows ? Any idea when the sequel is set for ?

In many ways I'm kind of nervous about the sequel - simply because Dr Strange was just so damn good, Cumberbatch was spot on, and the visuals were breathtaking. I'm not sure they could top that, well not easily - they'd need to do something different with the visuals (different from the space folding of NYC, and the Dark Dimension) but equally spectacular, and that's a very tall order.

And of course, having Dormammu as the final boss was great - but it's a bit like putting the Joker in the first Batman film (1989); since he's Batman's arch enemy, the villains in the sequel don't carry the same weight ( although Michelle Pfeiffer was amazing as she pulled off both villain and love interest
at the same time, nice). Sorry, tangent. Anyway, after Dormammu sure there are other extradimensional bad guys, and lots of them, but they're going to be compared to Dormammu, and that isn't going to be quite as satsifying - although at the same time it would seem a bit repetitive to use
Dormammu in the sequel as well..... sorry, sounds like I want it both ways, yes to Dormammu and no to Dormammu.

Sure, Mordo's going to be the main villain, but he's going to need some pretty heavy firepower to tackle Strange, does this mean Dormammu ? Possibly not, after Mordo's reaction to TAO drawing power from the Dark Dimension, but who knows ?

Interesting. I felt like the "magic" part of the eye was the time stone itself, and the amulet was just really a housing for it ( We've seen what happens when people touch infinity stones in Cap TFA and GOTG, they disintigrate )

I suppose Thanos could have snatched it for Infinity War by the time Dr S 2 roles around, who knows ? Any idea when the sequel is set for ?

In many ways I'm kind of nervous about the sequel - simply because Dr Strange was just so damn good, Cumberbatch was spot on, and the visuals were breathtaking. I'm not sure they could top that, well not easily - they'd need to do something different with the visuals (different from the space folding of NYC, and the Dark Dimension) but equally spectacular, and that's a very tall order.

And of course, having Dormammu as the final boss was great - but it's a bit like putting the Joker in the first Batman film (1989); since he's Batman's arch enemy, the villains in the sequel don't carry the same weight ( although Michelle Pfeiffer was amazing as she pulled off both villain and love interest
at the same time, nice). Sorry, tangent. Anyway, after Dormammu sure there are other extradimensional bad guys, and lots of them, but they're going to be compared to Dormammu, and that isn't going to be quite as satsifying - although at the same time it would seem a bit repetitive to use
Dormammu in the sequel as well..... sorry, sounds like I want it both ways, yes to Dormammu and no to Dormammu.

Sure, Mordo's going to be the main villain, but he's going to need some pretty heavy firepower to tackle Strange, does this mean Dormammu ? Possibly not, after Mordo's reaction to TAO drawing power from the Dark Dimension, but who knows ?
both the Dweller in Darkness and Nightmare are characters that are powerful enough to fill in Dormammu's role in the sequel and both visually different enough and thematically different enough to not feel repetitive

What I find interesting about Strange is that he deals with threats that could end our reality. Thanos in Infinity War would almost seem like business as usual for Strange. I mean, isn't Formally a lot more powerful than Thanos when Thanos doesn't have the gauntlet?

I've heard this a couple times. I don't think Marvel will use him as a Galactus type Character. The big difference between the two is one EATS the planets, the big G is the Storage of life for the following universe when this one burns out.
It seems to ME that Marvel is using Dormammu as a character like Annilus more than Galactus if you had to compare. The only thing Dormammu and Galactus have in common right now is color

What I find interesting about Strange is that he deals with threats that could end our reality. Thanos in Infinity War would almost seem like business as usual for Strange. I mean, isn't Formally a lot more powerful than Thanos when Thanos doesn't have the gauntlet?

Actually, yes. Dormammu is more or less a peer of Odin, in the comics, while Thanos. . . is good enough to get into a fight with Odin, but lose.

I actually hope he's the Thanos of the next few phases

both the Dweller in Darkness and Nightmare are characters that are powerful enough to fill in Dormammu's role in the sequel and both visually different enough and thematically different enough to not feel repetitive

True ! There's also Urthona (for future sequels) and plenty of other extradimensional bad guys like Mephisto and Satannish and Shuma-Gorath.

But, I suppose that Dormammu's like the # 1 Dr Strange bad guy, so I guess I found it both awesome and also a bit early to roll him out (but I'm glad they did).

What might be interesting is if Mordo gets enough power to actually threaten Dormammu and Strange and Dormammu actually have to work together to destroy him.

I mean, the X-films have pretty much all featured Magneto, either as an antagonist or a team-member (and more often than not both, X2, First Class, Days of Future Past and the end of XM Apocalypse, it's only in X-Men and Last Stand that he's completely the bad guy ) so if a character is done well, he can show up again and again.

Who knows ?

I loved Dormammu in this. The whole scene with him and Strange for me was great. Fun seeing Benedict play Strange going up against Dormammu who he is also playing :oldrazz:

True ! There's also Urthona (for future sequels) and plenty of other extradimensional bad guys like Mephisto and Satannish and Shuma-Gorath.

With Dormammu and Hela already in the MCU and whisperings of Mephisto making an appearance soon, we're so close to getting the bad place-Lords line up. :hmr: Bring on Blackheart, Satannish and Pluto already.

Cw9L4saUUAA-88a.jpg

Like most bad experiences, I have attempted to block Thor: The Dark World from my memory. So, is there any connection to wherever the Dark Elves live and their quest to spread darkness because darky dark, and Dormammu's dark realm?
Was the dig at Thor 2 really necessary? It has its fans.

With Dormammu and Hela already in the MCU and whisperings of Mephisto making an appearance soon, we're so close to getting the bad place-Lords line up. :hmr: Bring on Blackheart, Satannish and Pluto already.

Cw9L4saUUAA-88a.jpg

:applaud

BRING BACK THE FF!!!!

I'd love to see The Mindless Ones and Dormammu in a future DS movie. Of course, they'd want to do some sort of twist on how DS bested him in the comics.

EDIT: I actually brought something like this up on (I think) the DS Spoiler Thread.

I haven't read through this thread, but am I the only one who thought Dormammu had more of a Galactus visual vibe than the old comic Dormammu? What I really liked about that encounter was that it was very true to the Dr Strange that was often overmatched but survived and triumphed because of his intelligence and wits.

Last edited:
The Dread one was pretty one note and frankly sad in this film. This character needed to be a much bigger presence in the film and I would have traded every Cloak gag for a few minutes explaining and exploring the relationship between Mads' character and the ruler of the Dark Dimension.

Cool art, but save for the first, I prefer the final design we got.

Yeah, the first one is pretty much perfect. He looks so much better without humanoid eyes and with his classic color scheme.

That top one would make a great poster

Indeed it would. The more I look at it, the more I fall in love. That first piece of concept art is a legitimate beauty. Would be nice if, going forward they did alter the eyes to more closely resemble that concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"