DTL Season 5-Wildcards

Red King isn't fast enough to ignore tears in space, but he is fast enough to avoid the opposing team to be able to throw them in front of him. And fast enough that Zemo can't cosmic-aware his location, because he doesn't think fast enough.

As for a blessed EMP. The damn thing still runs like any other ****ing machine. And that means Angie can take it just fine.

Some tough matches here. I've read through the full writeups and debate, but taking it as a whole it's all a little overwhelming. So I'm going to distill things down to a summary of how each character was beaten, and use that as a guide in deciding who won the match.

First, Wieg vs. LV

In LV's writeup:
- Wonder Woman won because Exodus is ghey
I can't really dispute that. +1

- Thordis won by showing Kyle flowers
They were yellow flowers, so it probably would have worked against Hal Jordan. But Kyle's lack of yellow-weakness and experience dealing with the dangers of still-life painting may make him resistant to this form of attack.

- Byakko won because Vision has a dumb name
Personally, I like Vision's name, and anyway Byakko's name makes her sound like an anime character. And if Dragonball Z has taught me anything about anime characters, it's a safe bet Byakko would still be busy charging up her power to level 1,000,000 while Vision was kicking her butt.

-Jaine Cutter won because Proctor means anus
An excellent point, but this might actually enhance the teamwork between Proctor and Exodus, since Exodus is teh ghey. +1/2

-Deadpool wins because he's been in more than 6 issues.
Can't really dispute that. +1

Total plausibility score: 2.5/5.0

In wiegeabo's writeup:
-Ambrose beats Byakko by slowing down time
Yeah, that'd probably work. Especially since it would already take her a few episodes to charge up her powers even before he slows time +1

-Vision beats Deadpool (or at least delays him until they can gang up on him) by grabbing his junk
I've got to like how Wieg is turning his team's teh gheyness into an advantage +1

-Proctor teleports Jaine into space
Yeah, it'd probably work, but he's still an anus. +1/2

-Vision takes down Wonder Woman while Exodus keeps her occupied.
It might work. Normally I'd think Wonder Woman was fast enough to avoid Vision's attacks, but maybe not while dealing with Exodus. +1/2

-Kyle beats Thordis by turning the station into a vacuum
I'm not sure about this. Hasn't Thor fought in space before? If Thor can do it, why not Thordis?

Total plausibility score: 3.0/5.0

Wieg gets my vote in a close one.

Rather than doing the other match one writeup at a time, I'm going to discuss them both together but split it up by weightclass (regs, meds, ubers)

The Mediums -- Lightray vs. Engineer:
- In Gog's, the team first fries everything (including Engineer) with an EMP, then Lightray beats her up and then Boom tubes her away. He protects himself from her radion attack by using heat. Gog mentioned in debate he could also wear a protective suit.

- In Ari's, Engineer first takes over all the tech on the battlefield with her technopathic abilities. Then she uses her control of the ventillation system to flood the place with radion, taking Lightray out.

Comments: I'm not really convinced Lightray could neutralize radion with excessive heat. With some sort of spacesuit, sure, although then all Engineer needs to do to beat him is rupture his suit. However, Gog raises a good point that even if Engineer takes control of the ventillation system instantly, that doesn't mean it wouldn't still take some time to use that system to flood the station with radion. I mean, even with radion pouring out of every vent, that still might be enough time for someone who moves at lightspeed to attack. That said, a fully functional Engineer might well be able to hold him off until the place was flooded with radion even if it takes a few seconds.

But the real question is "Would Gog's team be able to use their EMP?" If they do, it both majorly screws up Engineer and fries the systems she was going to use to flood the station with radion. Personally, I thought Ari was a little quick to assume Engineer could shut down all opposing tech. Batman 1-million's tech from over 800 centuries in the future, so it may well be more advanced than anything Engineer has controlled before. On the other hand, she has Resurrection Man 1-million to tell her all about that tech during prep-time.

Still, even if she is capapable of controlling the EMP device, who's to say she'd get the chance? I mean, even if she can take control the EMP in the first nanosecond of the fight, who's to say Gog's team couldn't build an EMP that would automatically detonate in the first half a nanosecond, or whatever. Especially since they could use computer chips that are hundreds of centuries more advanced than Engineer's computer brain. Surely there's been some increase in processing speed over that time. Plus, they'd know they needed to make it work faster than Engineer could control it, because Zemo's precog would anticipate that she'd try to do exactly that.

That said, Ari's team would probably anticipate an EMP (given how much tech they have, it seems an obvious approach), and Red King probably has some countermeasure to EMP's that he could share with Engineer. (I don't know much about Red King, but the way Ari writes him he seems to have a countermeasure to damn near everything, and since he uses high-tech armor you'd think getting a counter to EMPs would be a high priority.) Still, even if Engineer blocks the EMP against herself, Gog's team could probably take down the stations ventillation system that she was using against him.

On the whole, I think I give a slight edge in this fight to Gog, since I think his team could find some way to execute the EMP, and that could at least thwart Engineer's initial attack. Still, if she manages to shield herself from the brunt of the EMP, she could make some weapons on the fly that could give him trouble (radion mines, etc.) It could go either way.

The Regulars -- Batman 1 Million and Mr. Fantastic vs. Anarky and Midnighter

- Ari equips Midnighter with psi-blockers to stop Batman's telepathic attacks, and has Engineer hack Batman's tech, forcing him to rely on hand-to-hand combat, where Midnighter's implants give him the edge.

- In Gog's writeup, Midnighter's tech is fried by the EMP, and then Mr. Fantastic traps him with Adhesive-X from Zemo's glue guns

Again, I'm not totally convinced Engineer could control tech from so far in the future, and I'm not totally convinced Ari's team could stop the EMP, which would screw up Midnighter's implants. I'm also not totally sure Midnighter could combat moves from hundreds of centuries in the future. And if any of those things don't go Midnighter's way, I think he has trouble beating Batman 1-Million.

On the other hand, even if Gog's team executes the EMP, I'm not so sure Red King couldn't shield his teammates from it. And if Midnighter's implants survive it, he might be able to anticipate and evade Mr. Fantastic's glue-gun attack. That said, I'm not really sure what attack Midnighter has that could hurt Reed's ultra-stretchy body.

One thing working in Gog's team's favor is that Zemo's pre-cog would let them know how likely it was that their EMP wouldn't work, so at least they'd know in advance if they'd be facing a full-powered Midnighter or Midnighter with his implants impared.

So maybe a slight advantage to Gog at this point, but there's two more reg battles:

- Gog has Batman beat Anarky using his telepathic martial arts attack.

- Ari has Anarky shoot Reed with a gun, causing him to stretch. Then he uses a modified version of the tech Red King used to steal Flash's protective aura to essentially make it so that Reed's internal organs don't stretch with the rest of his body. As a result, Reed's organs are torn apart by his stretching.

Ari gave his team psi-blockers, so that could stop Batman's telepathic attack, assuming Ari's team either stops the EMP or shields Anarky from it. Still, Batman has a lot of other ways he could attack Anarky, especially if Engineer is unsuccessful in controlling his super-futuristic tech. If she succeeds, then he's limited to martial arts, and Anarky probably has a tech-based solution to that.

At this point, I'd say the reg battle is pretty even, but there's still Ari's takedown of Reed to consider. Of the four reg battles, I think I have the biggest problems with this one. To me, neutralizing Flash's protective forcefield and neutralizing Reed's internal organs ability to stretch with the rest of him are two very different things. I'm not convinced Red King's tech could be modified to take out Reed in this way. Effectively, it amounts to "curing" Reed's power, except the "cure" is applied only to his internal organs. Reed, in addition to being a supergenius, knows far more about his and the other FF's powers than anyone on the opposing team is likely to learn from reading Magneto's computer files. And he spent years struggling to figure out a way to cure the Thing's powers. I don't really see Ari's team doing the equivalent in a single day. Plus, this tactic somewhat relies on Reed being taken by surprise, and Zemo's precog makes that unlikely.

So all in all I give the edge in the reg battles to Gog, based mostly on my skepticism of how Ari took down Reed.

The Ubers -- Ares and Zemo vs. Red King and Resurrection Man 1-million
- Gog has Res Man stuck to the ground with Adhesive-X. He presents various options, but argues that none of them would work. Most notably, he has Batman hack into Zemo's boom tube suit and teleport him into a room filled with a toxin similar to the one Res Man uses to kill himself. Since Res Man is known to be vulnerable to such a toxin, it can keep killing him over and over.

- Gog uses Adhesive-X to stick Ares and Red King together, then has Ares port them to the Aeropagus. He argues that once Red King is there, he can't get back, while Zemo can port in and help Ares finish him off.

-Ari has the ubers fight a two-on-two battle, arguing that his characters have superior speed and counter-measures for many specific attacks Gog's guys could use. He has Red King stun Zemo with an energy blast while Res Man destroys the Moonstones with quantum TK and finishes off Zemo with telepathy. Then he combines Red King's energy blasts and Res Man's quantum TK to take down Ares.

Comments: First, regarding Gog's contention that Res Man would be toast if his ressurector device is taken out by the EMP... I'm not so sure. It seemed to me that the device he wore was just a convenient way of killing himself, whereas the resurrecting was an innate power, and the choosing what power to get when resurrecting was just something he'd learned to do over the course of the millenium. With that interpretation, destroying the device he wears on his arm would just mean he couldn't kill himself as easily. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, though.

Gog is skeptical as to whether Res Man is still able to use quantum TK in the far future, but I don't see why he wouldn't be. And if he does use it, he should be able to disassemble Adhesive-X pretty easily. I'm not sure I understand exactly what quantum TK is, but it seems to at least encompass some sort of transmutation power, which is all he needs to neutralize Zemo's superglue.

On the other hand, the approach of porting Res Man into a room full of neurotoxin seems like it could work, assuming whatever tech they needed to do it could be shielded from Engineer's attack. Again, Zemo's precognition might help them anticipate Engineer's attack and find a way around it.

This is as good a time as any to mention a point about cosmic awareness: Ari argues that Res Man's cosmic awareness (which consists of perceiving things on the atomic level) is better than Zemo's. But Zemo can look at various future scenarios and determine which are most likely to occur. Really, his is pre-cognition, whereas Res Man's seems to be more like atomic-level senses. Personally, I think pre-cog is going to be more useful for this fight.

Ari argues that Zemo and Red King would fight together, so Zemo can also use his quantum TK to stop Adhesive-X from being used against Red King. But to me, the more important question is whether Red King could be teleported. I've not read anything with Red King, so I'm just going by what the participants have said. Ari argues Red King has anti-teleportation counter measures, but Gog seems to view these as mostly ways to shut down the JLA teleporters. But Red King also seems to have magic resistance, so that might let him stop Ares from teleporting him.

Ari's takedown of Gog's ubers seems pretty reasonable if his characters are indeed drastically faster than Gog's, as Ari considers to be the case. Gog doesn't seem to think Red King is that fast. Like I said, I haven't read anything with Red King, so I just have to go on what the participants say. I'm willing to grant that Red King has superspeed based on him going toe-to-toe with Superman et al., but I suppose the same reasoning would suggest Ares has some superspeed based on his being able to fight Wonder Woman. But if I had to guess, I'd say Ari is right that Red King is faster. He's clearly meant to be a threat to the whole Justice League, and I don't see how he could be without substantial super speed.

All in all, I guess I'm favoring Ari a bit on the uber battles, particularly if Red King can resist Ares' magic-based teleportation or overwhelm him with speed.

Decision: So who am I voting for? Honestly, I'm not sure. I think I'll sleep on it and edit in my vote in the morning. In the mean time, if either participant cares to comment on any of the above commentary, feel free to do so.

-Vision beats Deadpool (or at least delays him until they can gang up on him) by grabbing his junk
I've got to like how Wieg is turning his team's teh gheyness into an advantage +1

One must use whatever advantage presents itself.

I'm gonna go with Aristotle although I think he's kinda smitten with Angie. No way is she as powerful as he's depicting, otherwise she'd be an uber.

I'd just like to stress again I'm not ignoring his Red King's speed at all. But the only difference between Shelley (using Quantum Speed) rushing Zemo and Profitt doing so, is that the latter's slower and would not be touching the ground.

I have no idea why RM's supposed to be faster than Helmut. Both are none-speedsters who can fly at high velocities, but Zemo can at-least manipulate time and space, and Shelley won't be moving at those speeds at-all, since he and RK entered Zemo's neck of the woods, and gravity's been altered to give even Superman (and therefor Mitchell) pause. Now maybe Shelley can amp his strength enough to move more freely, but since Red King's there and Quantum Speed isn't being used, I'd expect Zemo to just crank gravity up to eleven.

Ares and Red King are both stronger than your average bear (in-fact, probably Ares' biggest stunt involved actually increasing his size exponentially and still carrying a conversation while standing on a planet four-million times the Earth's mass, but that feat's a bit more involved), but no-one will be zooming-around under those conditions. That was the strategy all-along, of-course; draw them (as things turned-out. In my scenario it was either one) in, allow for them getting a free shot, then strike when they've been brought-down to a more manageable pace. If he still can't get a bead on them, then once anyone's in the field, his first action can be seeding it with force-barriers and small portals instead. The only person whose location he'd need to know to implement any of these tactics would be Ares.

Aristotle seems to have initially relied on Shelley to combat such attacks, but the more I learn about him, the less sure I am just where many of his abilities are derived from. Did anyone think something like taking energy-blasts apart on a quantum-level and rerouting them might have been something mentioned in a comic-book? How about stopping incoming teleportation? At the very least, he's certainly done nothing to suggest countering gravity-manipulation with more than just extra force.

Now one thing Authorititans have been falling back on is mental speed, so let's bear in mind Ares' mental processes are enhanced (he even hints at it talking to Wonder Woman early in the Rucka run: .."machines that can process information faster than a God can think."), and that Zemo was a skilled street-leveler and a mild super-genius before he got the Moonstones. Let's also remember that while Profitt could normally avoid physical contact with Ares easily enough, he has no reason to be particularly weary of it, and his team isn't the only one that can cooperate. Zemo could port Ares near RK, increase his pace, and probably keep him from the brunt of the gravitational pull, and they've been working side-by-side for weeks, while the other two Ubers have only just met their teammates.

Obviously RM can take Adhesive X apart at a moment's notice. What's more questionable is that he'll have one, and a moment while his opponent's rooted to one spot is all the opening Ares would need, whether he's locked into physical contact with him or just looking at him funny.

Of-course, Zemo can move entire areas, so if things get desperate enough, he doesn't really have to pin him down exactly, and the notion put-forth originally that my team could never even teleport them as option is dubious at best.

Rather than doing the other match one writeup at a time, I'm going to discuss them both together but split it up by weightclass (regs, meds, ubers)

The Mediums -- Lightray vs. Engineer:
- In Gog's, the team first fries everything (including Engineer) with an EMP, then Lightray beats her up and then Boom tubes her away. He protects himself from her radion attack by using heat.

Actually, what he's doing is using heat to destroy any invading nanites that may be infiltrating his body in order to produce it from the inside. My defenses vs. Radion are otherwise the same they've been throughout the tournament; energy-conversion and a containment suit. I guess Ari's right in that I didn't mention those in my prep, but the strange thing is that he neglects these measures in his write-up, even though I'd used both options when we fought the first time.

Personally, I thought Ari was a little quick to assume Engineer could shut down all opposing tech. Batman 1-million's tech from over 800 centuries in the future, so it may well be more advanced than anything Engineer has controlled before.
The way Aristotle's been using the Engineer's certainly raised red flags, but I have very little knowledge of the character. I will say though, I would have expected her to have at-least had difficulty with the aliens during Coup d'Etat or there never would have been a threat, and that, at-least going by the event book, nano-technological warfare was pretty damn common during the 853rd century. It's there explicitly with the Solaris Virus, which effeceted every electronic and biological system on the planet - including all JLA 1,000,000 members - with only J'onn J'onnz able to hold it off using his shape-shifting DNA, and Vandal Savage's battle with Resurrection Man, used miscellaneously for other purposes, and maybe Solaris controls Aresnal 1M. I thought Batman's own custom was probably made from the stuff, given the way it receded along his body when he showed Zauriel his face. Then again, both Red King and Moonstone used to put their cloths on the same way. Either way, he must have shielded his own equipment somewhat, since he sweeped electronics himself, and he was a technopath in his own right, from a future some eight-hundred centuries past even Abra-Kadabra or the Legion's times.

Still, even if she is capapable of controlling the EMP device, who's to say she'd get the chance? I mean, even if she can take control the EMP in the first nanosecond of the fight, who's to say Gog's team couldn't build an EMP that would automatically detonate in the first half a nanosecond, or whatever. Especially since they could use computer chips that are hundreds of centuries more advanced than Engineer's computer brain. Surely there's been some increase in processing speed over that time.
I did mention quantum computers specifically during debate.

I don't know whether Profitt'd have a defense for EMPs he could readily share, but Authorititans seem clearly to be banking on sweeping all my tech away during the first moment of the fight. Electronic defenses are the last thing on their minds.

Even assuming an EMP utterly fails to affect Ari's team individually, it or my team can still do a lot to minimize communication between The Engineer and her more remote nanites.

And even if she somehow prevails completely, we're still using much cruder weapons her team could not have anticipated. Come to that, Ari says he always gives rival teams a strategy, but I'm still struggling to see what mine may have been.

- Gog has Res Man stuck to the ground with Adhesive-X. He presents various options, but argues that none of them would work. Most notably, he has Batman hack into Zemo's boom tube suit and teleport him into a room filled with a toxin similar to the one Res Man uses to kill himself. Since Res Man is known to be vulnerable to such a toxin, it can keep killing him over and over.
I was actually thinking of a somewhat weaker toxin, just to keep him from developing new powers. Although he may still drown. That would actually be preferable, because the new power he'd be getting may be geared towards avoiding drowning.

Comments: First, regarding Gog's contention that Res Man would be toast if his ressurector device is taken out by the EMP... I'm not so sure. It seemed to me that the device he wore was just a convenient way of killing himself, whereas the resurrecting was an innate power, and the choosing what power to get when resurrecting was just something he'd learned to do over the course of the millenium. With that interpretation, destroying the device he wears on his arm would just mean he couldn't kill himself as easily. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, though.
Well firstly, my scenario already had him stuck (figuratively and literally) with a now useless power. But even if what you say is true, not being able to switch powers would be a major set-back.

I don't doubt he can call back on his 20th-century powers anymore. It might have been a little different, but Quantum Speed was the power he used to pacify Superman in the future, and the first ability he manifested in RM #19. Quantum Telekinesis would still be a power my team's familar with from the last first round, and presumabely one Batman has some knowledge of from his time working with Mitch.

Ari argues that Zemo and Red King would fight together, so Zemo can also use his quantum TK to stop Adhesive-X from being used against Red King. But to me, the more important question is whether Red King could be teleported. I've not read anything with Red King, so I'm just going by what the participants have said. Ari argues Red King has anti-teleportation counter measures, but Gog seems to view these as mostly ways to shut down the JLA teleporters. But Red King also seems to have magic resistance, so that might let him stop Ares from teleporting him.
I don't think there can be doubt that's what the scene involved suggested. Red King might have some other protections availabe, but if so, it can't possibly be all-inclusive, since he's teleported himself.

As for magical defenses, disregarding the likelyhood of it for the moment, he has never faced anyone with nearly as much raw magical power. Not even Fate. And I've counted at-least four different effects Ares used for teleporting, disincluding portals and reflections. Zemo wouldn't even target him directly unless he's bisecting him, only the area immediately surrounding him.

Anyway, when Profitt said he asked for protocols for a Themysciran invasion, what he clearly wanted and received were firstly countermeasures against Wonder Woman. A lot of his steps were extremely specific, and usually geared against Justice League members, who were something of an obssession. So he had a shield around him that made Diana's lasso give her visions of the different ways he'd seen the League die when she wanted the truth. Just like he had a Bizzaro virus and a chemical to use against the Flash. That's Good for him, but it hardly helps him any here.

I'm willing to grant that Red King has superspeed based on him going toe-to-toe with Superman et al., but I suppose the same reasoning would suggest Ares has some superspeed based on his being able to fight Wonder Woman.
I don't think that logic really works, or John Stewart, who'd also fought the Red King, would have needed super-speed himself to keep-up. I'm also pretty sure he's meant to be is something well beyond the limits we've established - someone with just about every power you can think of, as is actually stated clearly in his first appearance, a Secret Files issue. In practice, what we've seen him do was a lot more manageable, and I'm holding him to that, or at-least those things we know concretely he'd been looking into.

One last thing about the Red King. Ari states he was a decent team-player, and I never really questioned that. However, he was also very keen on preserving his own life. He was coming apart when he thought he couldn't leave the moon in time to survive, and there's precious little he holds sacred enough to fight for. This is a man who systematically eliminated six-and-a-half billion possible realities, after-all, and, near the end, stopped caring even for the fate of his own alternates.

If things ever took a truly dire turn, there's little that would hold him by his teammates' side.

The Mediums -- Lightray vs. Engineer

However, Gog raises a good point that even if Engineer takes control of the ventillation system instantly, that doesn't mean it wouldn't still take some time to use that system to flood the station with radion. I mean, even with radion pouring out of every vent, that still might be enough time for someone who moves at lightspeed to attack.
It's starting to appear to me that, as usual, I was unclear about something. I'm trying to make my writeups more clear, and I think I'm doing better at it, but what I apparently failed to make apparent was that Engineer is rigging up the entire asteroid with these emitters. She is very literally doing everything she can to make the entire asteroid an uninhabitable place for Lightray. Could he wear a containment suit? Sure, but like you say, it'd also be pretty damn easy to rupture it.

Personally, I thought Ari was a little quick to assume Engineer could shut down all opposing tech. Batman 1-million's tech from over 800 centuries in the future, so it may well be more advanced than anything Engineer has controlled before. On the other hand, she has Resurrection Man 1-million to tell her all about that tech during prep-time.
You're exactly right about Mitch being able to fill her in. In fact, Mitch will have some of that tech on hand. But honestly, I don't think it matters. The reason I think Angie can do all the things I claim she can do while remaining med is that this is really her only power. She is a technopath, and that's it. That technopathy manifests itself in myriad ways, but at her core, she is only a technopath. Put her in the Sahara Desert circa 567 AD or whatever, and she's ****ed. Put her here, on the other hand, and she's in her element. There has never been tech that she couldn't assimilate and use.

Surely there's been some increase in processing speed over that time.
I don't think we can assume that. These aren't the same universes. The level of development that the WSU has seen is vastly greater than that of the DCU at the same point in history.

That said, I'm not really sure what attack Midnighter has that could hurt Reed's ultra-stretchy body.
Punching him in the head, really hard. Reed's been knocked out that way plenty of times.

At this point, I'd say the reg battle is pretty even, but there's still Ari's takedown of Reed to consider. Of the four reg battles, I think I have the biggest problems with this one. To me, neutralizing Flash's protective forcefield and neutralizing Reed's internal organs ability to stretch with the rest of him are two very different things. I'm not convinced Red King's tech could be modified to take out Reed in this way. Effectively, it amounts to "curing" Reed's power, except the "cure" is applied only to his internal organs.
It's not a cure, it's a modification. Red King's tech was basically able to remove a key component of Flash's powers by studying the chemical process which had created them. Red King seems to have the pseudo-science of superpower manipulation down pat.

I'd just like to stress again I'm not ignoring his Red King's speed at all.
How is completely discounting it as a factor in the battle, which you literally said, not ignoring it?

Zemo can at-least manipulate time and space
So can Mitch. That's what this powerset is all about. And my guy's had hundreds of centuries to perfect his technique. What's your guy had, a couple years?

Now one thing Authorititans have been falling back on is mental speed, so let's bear in mind Ares' mental processes are enhanced (he even hints at it talking to Wonder Woman early in the Rucka run: .."machines that can process information faster than a God can think."), and that Zemo was a skilled street-leveler and a mild super-genius before he got the Moonstones.
Yeah, neither of those guys think at superspeed. Sorry, your ******** doesn't fly.

Let's also remember that while Profitt could normally avoid physical contact with Ares easily enough, he has no reason to be particularly weary of it, and his team isn't the only one that can cooperate. Zemo could port Ares near RK, increase his pace, and probably keep him from the brunt of the gravitational pull, and they've been working side-by-side for weeks, while the other two Ubers have only just met their teammates.
Of course, since Red King can always just duck at superspeed, none of that matters. Not to mention that the adhesive can be neutralized immediately by Mitch.

Yeah, neither of those guys think at superspeed. Sorry, your ******** doesn't fly.

Really? How do you think Ares keeps track of so many events around the world at the same time?

Zemo doesn't think at actual super-speed, no, (although if I did want to make that argument, there's a fair bit of evidence to use of Marvel super-geniuses making complex calculations and decisions instantly) but he still thinks at-least as quickly as Resurrection Man.

Really? How do you think Ares keeps track of so many events around the world at the same time?

Zemo doesn't think at actual super-speed, no, (although if I did want to make that argument, there's a fair bit of evidence to use of Marvel super-geniuses making complex calculations and decisions instantly) but he still thinks at-least as quickly as Resurrection Man.

I'm voting for Wiegeabo. Vision taking-down Deadpool was a highlight.

This is a really hard choice, in part because both Gog and Ari have made a number of good arguments, but also in part because I don't know some of the characters very well, and Gog and Ari have very different takes on them. But I've got to make a decision eventually, and eventually might as well be now.

Meds
Even if I assume Engineer can control 853rd century tech, I think Gog's team could build an EMP device with an automatic timer fast enough to go off before Engineer could stop it. Gog did suggest in his debate that advances in computing between now and the 853rd century would make this possible. Ari argues that you can't assume the future of the DCU has better computers than the present of the Wildstorm universe, since Wildstorm is more advanced now (in his view, at least -- I haven't read enough Wildstorm to confirm or deny that point.) But even if Wildstorm tech is more advanced than DC tech, I have to imagine 800+ centuries is more than enough time to make up the difference.

Even if I assume Engineer anticipates the EMP and finds some way to shield herself from it (both of which are non-trivial assumptions), I'd think it would at least take out the radion emitters she's using against Lightray. Then she's stuck facing a guy who moves at lightspeed and who has the benefit of Zemo's pre-cog to know what she's likely to do against him. I think the odds are against her in that match.

Regs
In terms of the reg battles, I could see most of the fights going either way, but I still don't really buy how Ari took down Mr. Fantastic. I don't think canceling Flash's protective aura is much like making Reed's internal organs not stretch. In general, I think Gog has a good point that while Red King may have been intended to have just about every power you could imagine, he was presumably only allowed in the DTL on the assumption that he'd be limited to those powers explicitly shown in the comics. If we start assuming that he can neutralize any metahuman's powers after a day of prep just because he has a general idea of their origin, then I think that's pushing him a bit to far.

As far as Ari's claim that if all else fails his team could just beat Reed by punching him, has he really been KOed by guys with reg-level strength? My impression has always been that blunt-force impacts basically bounce off Reed's body unless he's stretched to his limit. I looked at some profiles, and apparently he's been knocked out at times by getting hit in the head, but it's not clear to me if this is a consistent weakness or how much strength it takes to do it.

Ubers
The big question here for me is how much Ari's guys can do. Was Res Man's quantum TK ever shown manipulating gravity? If Ari and Gog disagree on whether it could be used in this way, I think the burden is on Ari to give an example of it being used to affect gravity (because if he has done it, an example should be readily available, whereas if he hasn't done it then the only way to prove it is by reading every issue he's ever been in.) If RM can't counter gravity manipulation, then I think Gog's idea of an ultra-high gravity zone around Zemo is a reasonable way to slow down physical attacks like Red King charging him. And if he is slowed down, Zemo and Ares have many options for trying to teleport Red King to another dimension and thus beat him by battlefield removal. It's not clear to me from what's been said so far that Red King is immune to all forms of teleportation. Magic resistance might shield him from Ares, but Zemo's moonstones seem more like cosmic artifacts than Dr. Fate-style magic.

Anyway, none of this does much if RM can basically just disintegrate Zemo (or his Moonstones, like he does in Ari's writeup) before Zemo can do anything. Increasing gravity might slow a physical attack by making someone too heavy, but it's not going to do much against mental attacks, unless we're talking about Zemo actually slowing down time. Of course, Zemo can muck with time, and maybe he could use his precog to anticipate where Mitch is going to be and create a pocket of slowed down time there. Ari argues that RM can also manipulate time, but again I'd kind of like to see an example of when he's actually done this.

Anyway, a bigger question is how fast RM is. Obviously, he can kill himself and give himself superspeed instead of quantum telekinesis. But what we're talking about is having him using his quantum telekinesis while acting at superspeed. I assume Ari is saying superspeed (in terms of thinking/reflexes, not just flight speed) is part of RM 1 Million's basic powerset, and so when he uses quantum TK to attack Zemo he does so at superspeed, faster than Zemo can defend. Gog on the other hand is very explicit in claiming that RM doesn't think at superspeed. They can't both be right, and I don't really know the character well enough to know for sure.

But I have read the JLA One Million trade, which includes the issue where RM fights Vandal Savage. In that issue, RM states that his "default" powers are flight and enhanced strength. He makes no mention of superspeed, nor does he seem to use it in the fight against Vandal. So what little I've read of the character seems more in line with the claim that he doesn't have superspeed reflexes (unless he gives up whatever other powers he's using to get them). Anyway, if Zemo is able to keep pace with RM, then I think Gog's idea of teleporting him and using a neurotoxin against him could work.

--

Anyway, it's possible I'm selling both of Ari's ubers short, but right now I'm leaning a bit towards Gog and I figure I've put off voting long enough. Gog gets my vote.

Has anyone voted in the Ari/Gog match besides me and LV?

Maybe wieg should PM the other owners reminding them to vote. If we'd like to get more votes, I bet we could even talk a few of the former DTLers (Corp, JB, etc.) into voting, just for the few weeks of playoffs.

(If wieg or anyone else does solicit votes from former participants, make sure to let them know of changes in the voting policy: e.g., explict guidelines to base your vote on who had the better and more plausible strategy, not who's writeup was most entertaining or dramatic. Also, the explicit guideline not to favor one writeup over another based on length.)

If you want to hit the former voters, I'll hit the current ones.

With a stick.

Ok, this is a tough match. I took so long because I was trying to figure out what to say. But every time I tried, I really came down to a few points that I had problems with on both sides that I don't remember either side addressing to my satisfaction/memory. (The good points tend to cancel each other out, which makes this a good match.)

And reading what Tim posted, I think he hit some of what I would have said anyway. I too am a bit of confused about the characters (which makes me glad I wasn't facing them this week. ;))

For Gog:
I don't know about using Adhesive X. Where did it come from? Did Zemo and Reed make it with stuff in the base? Is that possible? Or does Zemo, or whoever, carry the stuff on them? I was confused about that, as well as where the chamber of toxin came from. Where does the EMP come from? Can Lightray generate one or did they build some kind of tech version? And couldn't Engineer counter the effects of an EMP?

For Ari:
My first question is, how the heck does Anarky make Radion? I know he made a Boom Tube from scratch and could likely make a Radion emitter. But, how does Lonnie know what Radion is? How does he know it is the weakness of New Gods? I even went back to the previous match and saw no explanation of this. You complained about Gog giving Ares Radion in the last fight, but I have to wonder why Lonnie is allowed to use it.

And even if Radion is accessible, couldn't Lightray just float out in space, safe from the Radion, and hit the station with an EMP? Then he wouldn't have to worry about it.
And I'm not convinced Engineer could instantly take over 853rd century tech. With R-Man's help, she probably could, except that Gog has Batman who's also very familiar with the same tech. If Engineer can do it, I doubt it would be instantaneous. And would taking over the station's tech be useful if Gog's team uses an EMP, or even sets up their 853rd century counter measures to slow her down?

I know I haven't put everything, but I think I got my point across. So my vote goes to...

B'wana Bet?

For Gog:
I don't know about using Adhesive X. Where did it come from? Did Zemo and Reed make it with stuff in the base? Is that possible? Or does Zemo, or whoever, carry the stuff on them? I was confused about that, as well as where the chamber of toxin came from. Where does the EMP come from? Can Lightray generate one or did they build some kind of tech version? And couldn't Engineer counter the effects of an EMP?

Zemo's Castle contains his father's old trophy room. The EMP is manufactured on the spot. I believe Reed's rigged them on the field before during actual engagement, with a few moments to spare. I don't know what protections The Engineer might have against one, but it was part of a two-pronged attaxk on her systems, and in all likelihood a fair bit more powerful than her own energy sources.

I'm not sure where Anarky got Radion from the last time, but as he was at-least paired-up with a New God at that time I let it go.

Dude, you don't get to use **** from outside the battlefield!

I've always had Anarky use the JLA files, which he hacked in one of his miniseries. JLA files, kept by Batman, would almost certainly include mention of Radion.

We've had this debate regarding BFR and prep since the beginning of the season. The consensus seemed to be dimensional real-state was fine, much like Magik can use Limbo. The Folding Castle isn't an ordinary base, the entire thing is a construct of Zemo's powers, and made expressly to be accessible from any spot.

Chaos & Order vs. Deadpool's Harem
Authorititans vs. B'wana Bet?

So the only active voter left is Khel/Ahura, am I right?

Sorry I have not voted but I have been away.

Chaos & Order

B'Wana Bet - by a hair's breadth

Voting is now over.
Final results:

Chaos & Order 5
Deadpool's Harem 0

The Authorititans 2
B'wana Bet? 3

Thanks for a damn good match this time, Gog. I'm much happier to go out like that.

Yeah, I was just coming-in to say it was a good debate. I do wish we could have been more in-synch regarding some of our characters' abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"