Dumb moments in good movies

No way is that the best action scene in a superhero movie. The appaling extras and dialogue stops it from being so. Plus some of the editing was pretty bad. And the already mentioned Bat-Pod wall flip.

Anyway... Spider-Man 2, Doc Ock, a regular human being, durability wise, can trade punches with Spider-Man, a guy who has the preportionate strength of a spider. One jab from Spidey should have taken his head off.

No way is that the best action scene in a superhero movie. The appaling extras and dialogue stops it from being so. Plus some of the editing was pretty bad. And the already mentioned Bat-Pod wall flip.

That's not what I said at all. Since you didn't quote me, I'll quote what I said and explain it to you.

I recall in one of the jam packed cinema screenings I was at, a general sense of 'whoa!' rippled through the audience, y'know, you hear a few gasps and wows here and there. I have no idea how you could find that moment dumb, a perfect finishing touch to the best action scene in probably the best superhero movie ever made.

I never said the action in TDK made the movie the best superhero film ever made, which is what you are implying, what I said was it was the best action in the movie, which just so happens to be the best sh film ever made.
If it didn't at least have some great action scenes in there, folk wouldn't probably rank it as one of the greatest, or the greatest so much, so what I'm saying is, when you take that all in, it's generally heralded as a damn good action scene.

EDIT: I guess you are complaining about the Swat guy bringing the whole action scene down, but if you take the last part on it's own, with the game of 'chicken' between Batman and the Joker, I think there could be an argument made for that being the best action moment in sh movies yet.

and the Doc Ock thing, eh, folk have went on about that a lot, generally they come to the conclusion that the AI in the octo arms helps keep him from going into unconciousness.

In his first appearnace in a SM comic they had Ock's arms deflecting every blow, but you can't keep using that for every story, so you have to have some kind of story conceit in there for the villan to work, to take some punches, and that's about the best one that folk can come up with.

Last edited:
No way is that the best action scene in a superhero movie. The appaling extras and dialogue stops it from being so. Plus some of the editing was pretty bad.

I'll tell you this, if annoying extras was all it took to completely tarnish an action scene, people wouldn't be able to enjoy most of the fight sequences in these movies, particularly in the likes of the Spider-Man movies.

The TDK Joker truck sequence was awesome. My second favorite action sequence in a superhero movie after the train fight with Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2.

There wasn't a thing wrong with the editing either.

Anyway... Spider-Man 2, Doc Ock, a regular human being, durability wise, can trade punches with Spider-Man, a guy who has the preportionate strength of a spider. One jab from Spidey should have taken his head off.

Two things:

1. Spidey pulls his punches. If he takes Ock's head off his shoulders then he's not using his great power with great responsibility is he?
2. Doc Ock in this movie had A.I. wired into his brain and central nervous system. He wasn't ever going to lose consciousness with that.

Two things:

1. Spidey pulls his punches. If he takes Ock's head off his shoulders then he's not using his great power with great responsibility is he?
2. Doc Ock in this movie had A.I. wired into his brain and central nervous system. He wasn't ever going to lose consciousness with that.

I will say one thing about the 'pulling punches' thing, like a professional boxer, if Spidey knows how much force to use to hit someone painfully without doing too much damage, he should know how much force it takes for him to ko a normal human being without much risk of killing him. Sure, in the heat of battle, he might be more hesitant in cutting loose, but we do see him koing bank robbers in SM1 with punches and kicks.

I think with Ock we have to go with the AI theory overall, he is a special case with that I think, most other super-villans fighting super-strong heroes have all over superpowers.

They even dealt with that in ASM issue 600(the last issue i have bought), where Ock was dealing with the after effects of having taken so many superhuman punches to the head , and was dying as a result. I can't recall if they ventured any notion with the AI arms keeping him awake during such punishment though, but I guess it is a conceit we can attribute to his resilience, as we do with so many superhero/sci-fi notions that you have to suspend disbelief for.

and aye, I really don't mind Nicky K's Swat guy, sure, there are some cliched lines, and personally I would have changed them. You can't have him swearing like a trooper, as most cops would in real life in those situations, but Nolan and co could've came up with some more natural sounding lines i think, but yeah, it's in no way any kind of scene spoiler, i was surprised when folk brought that up over on the bat-boards a while back.
Don't see anything wrong with the editing either.

I do think that the final face off between Batman and Joker is pure unadulterated 100% cinema gold of the highest order though, defo the highlight of that whole sequence, and one of the best moments in any sh film.

I don't recall who said it, someone on the boardsa while ago, but they were in a supermarket one day , pushing a trolley, and a little kid stood in front of him saying the Joker's line of 'Hit me! C'mon, I want you to hit me!', lol, now, when a scene gets the kids out there playing like that, that's when you know you have a classic all time action scene.

Last edited:
In Batman 89, after the Jokers plan has been messed up (because he didn't predict Batman having a cool dude plane) he shoots down Batmans plane, which just happens to crash directly in front of a cathedral snatching Vale who is acting like a stupid ****e.

So Vicky was asking money for sex but in a stupid way? Gee, I didn't see that.

He calls (seemingly on the fly) a helicopter to pick him up in 5, better make it 10 minutes. After he and Batman move up a dangerous cathedral that is falling apart, somehow, 4-5 goons are already up there, hiding waiting for him. I guess they needed to give Batman something to do.

That's a plothole. How is that dumb though.

Well, if he meant to throw the car at Pete there it means Ock has x-ray and telescopic vision, because when you watch the scene, it's readily apparent that when Pete and MJ are looking out the broken window, Ock is not in sight yet, his presence being announced by noise only, so he was at an out of sight distance when he threw the car...

Nevertheless if he's looking for someone to ask something from him, isn't it throwing a car randomly just a dumb way to do it? He doesn't know where Peter is, so he should be careful where he throws his cars at. The car might have killed him.

and...I think you are forgetting that these superhero tales always hinge on big coincidences to some degree, all the comics, all the movies...so yeah, he just so happened to throw a car through the cafe Pete was in.

So all superhero movies have dumb moments, therefore why bother?

But, as i was saying, you could ascertain he found out the area where Pete lives, and Pete happened to arrange to meet Mj in that area, so narrowing down the coincidence somewhat...

And thus, if he knows Peter might be around, throwing cars at points where he could be is a dumb thing to do.

I actually expected Godzilla2014 to bring this up...

He might do it as well, but late. :awesome:

Ock is still a power mad out of control nut who is half controlled by his AI arms right? So, it's not surprising he, or the arms, are careless with Pete when he throws him away, it's a helluva lot less dangerous than throwing a car at him though, which he didn't, lol.

On the contrary, his tentacles are very interested in making him repeating the experiment again. Therefore the tentacles are interested in finding Peter alive. Therefore tentacles shouldn't throw cars randomly at areas where Peter could be in, or throwing him in ways that could kill him.

Because we're talking about Artificial Intelligence, not Artificial Stupidity, right?

And no. It's even more dangerous that throwing a car. With the car you can miss. But throwing a human body to a brock wall in such a way it's certain death.

The Matrix reloaded, when Neo is fighting all the smith's and tosses one, and the sound of bowling pins being knocked down is made. :(

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA. I had forgotten that. Felt like a Flintstones cartoon's sopund effect.

Another one from Spider-Man 2: Following Doc Ock tossing a car at Peter as I mentioned earlier, he proceeds to pick Peter up and throw him at a wall with such force that a normal man's spine, as well as just about every other bone in his body, would snap like a psycho woman on her period whose boyfriend just broke up with her.

:up:

(told you bumwhowalks :cwink:)

I recall in one of the jam packed cinema screenings I was at, a general sense of 'whoa!' rippled through the audience, y'know, you hear a few gasps and wows here and there. I have no idea how you could find that moment dumb, a perfect finishing touch to the best action scene in probably the best superhero movie ever made.

I don't think that moment was dumnb at all. But I don't think coolness is defined by one theater's audience reaction either.

the love scene in the cinematic version still grates, why we need a love scene in a superhero film, only god knows...especially one so contrived...:cmad:

Daredevil's scene under the rain was MILES better than the kiss scene in Spiderman 1.

Which reminds me...

Dumb scene: Peter is going to help MJ because some muggers are following her, so he throws his clothes away and becomes Spiderman. Somehow he doesn't have the time to put his mask on :doh: the only thing that could protect his identity. I guess putting a mask on takes a long long time. But no, because after that Green Goblin makes it to Jameson's office. Peter runs away and finds the time to become Spiderman - mask on and all - in a much shorter time than in the previous occasion.

Another dumb moment: MJ ask Spiderman for a kiss. Peter allows her to peel up his mask. I thought his identity was important for him? When you're a superhero, you don't allow people to remove partially your mask. That was dumb, but it was dumbest when he did it in SM3, with all those people around (reproducing an iconic moment nobody in the city was aware of). Ah, but that wasn't a good movie to start with.

Last edited:
i always equated plot hole with dumb moments...

Which is not accurate. Sometime sthey can be the same, but there are dumb moments that are nothing of a plothole.

Batman saying Nice Coat was dumb. How's that a plothole?

I'm not saying all dumb moments are plot holes, but that plot holes are dumb lol. if there's a plot hole, i consider it a dumb moment in the film. like the aforementioned climax of batman -89, which was riddled with them. as cool of a movie as it was, i thought the climax was rather dumb. especially the bit with the batplane missing the UNMOVING Joker being taken down with a revolver :dry:

So all superhero movies have dumb moments, therefore why bother?

I wouldn't say that having big coincidences in superhero comics and movies are 'dumb moments' necesarily, all fiction to some extent rests on plot coincidences of varying degrees.

I don't think Ock going looking for PP in the vicinity of his neighbourhood, and throwing a car into the very cafe he was in, was *that* big a coincidence, esp considering that if he did not find Pete there after that car throw, he might have thrown a few other things around to create chaos to draw him or Spider-man out.

and an example of a massive coincidence in fiction, that you may consider dumb(and i personally would not write in such a manner without some mitigating factors), which makes the PP/Ock one feel positively straightforward...Cap Kirk is marooned on a frozen ice planet in JJ's ST, and just happens to be down the road from the cave that old Spock is living in.

and in regards to coincidences in general in fiction... life is full of big coincidences that have an impact on your life, I have run into many myself, you can attribute them to the power of syncronicity, a force that many psychoanalysts and philosophers like Carl Jung consider to be the very fabric that holds our 'intelligent' universe together.

edit: and that can be pushed too far, making the story feel dumb, like the Star Tek example, which they do try to mitigate with a similar type of explanation of the universe bring Kirk and Spock together, but, I think to have a stronger , more believable story, you need more than that with such a plot point, because then you just have lazy writing.

El Payaso said:
On the contrary, his tentacles are very interested in making him repeating the experiment again. Therefore the tentacles are interested in finding Peter alive. Therefore tentacles shouldn't throw cars randomly at areas where Peter could be in, or throwing him in ways that could kill him.

Because we're talking about Artificial Intelligence, not Artificial Stupidity, right?

And no. It's even more dangerous that throwing a car. With the car you can miss. But throwing a human body to a brock wall in such a way it's certain death.

Well, if you want to argue that the arms wanting the experiment to go forward is an intelligent move, but considering that the arms should know fine well that the last attempt at the experiment almost destroyed the city, including themselves, I would say the octo arms were dumb, they have already shown an instinct for self-preservation, in the operating theatre.
So, no, it's not surprising to me that they would be so careless, in either throwing Pete into a wall, or throwing cars around in an area where they could endanger him.

edit: and , i dunno, we are both maybe splitting hairs on what is more dangerous.

edit: But, i will say that the car throw as presented on film, is meant to be taken as the more dangerous act. Maybe you could say that is because MJ is involved too, but I think it's also because the strength that it take the Octo arm to throw a car at that velocity is far more than it took for Pete to be thrown at the wall.

Last edited:
this was a post of mine, earlier in the thread.

"we all know it: vader's "NOOOO" at the end of revenge of the sith. balls."

now Lucas is using that horrible NOOOO towards the end of Return of the Jedi when it gets a blu-ray release. effing unhappy.

the same "NOOOOOOOOOOO"? or a different take? either way takes away from his quiet decision/"sneak attack". it doesnt make sence with a long no. :(

i guess its a good thing i already own star wars and have no intention of buying the blu ray.

the same "NOOOOOOOOOOO"? or a different take? either way takes away from his quiet decision/"sneak attack". it doesnt make sence with a long no. :(
I agree. Having just come from that thread in the films forum I think it's a horrible revision to the OT but I'm also beginning to think this is Lucas' way of soft-rebooting them. He's going to eventually reboot the Star Wars OT piece by piece until nothing original is left. The entire OT can turn into a series of dumb moments one after another if this keeps up.

so u think he'll replace the actors with new ones or something?????? in 100 years when lucas' robot floating head runs starwars?

in first class, when the diamond form of emma frost was cracked by metal bars.

so u think he'll replace the actors with new ones or something?????? in 100 years when lucas' robot floating head runs starwars?
He's already done it a few times. Boba Fett was revoiced with Temuera Morrison, David Prowse was revoiced by James Earl Jones back at the start of the OT and then the one time we see Prowse as Anakin's ghost he's been retconned to Hayden Christensen.

He's already done it a few times. Boba Fett was revoiced with Temuera Morrison, David Prowse was revoiced by James Earl Jones back at the start of the OT and then the one time we see Prowse as Anakin's ghost he's been retconned to Hayden Christensen.

We never see Prowse, when we see Vader face/Ghost he was played by Sebastian Shaw.

The only one that pops out upon reading the title is the ending to Batman Begins.

"I'm not going to kill you...but I don't have to save you." *flies away*

Yeeeeea, no. That's not how things work Batman. If someone shoves a knife in someone's throat, but they aren't dead, and they soon bleed out and die because you did nothing, you still are held accountable.

We never see Prowse, when we see Vader face/Ghost he was played by Sebastian Shaw.
So I got the name wrong, point still stands he ret-conned the actor into someone else because he decided he wanted to stick a prequel reference in there.

The only one that pops out upon reading the title is the ending to Batman Begins.

"I'm not going to kill you...but I don't have to save you." *flies away*

Yeeeeea, no. That's not how things work Batman. If someone shoves a knife in someone's throat, but they aren't dead, and they soon bleed out and die because you did nothing, you still are held accountable.
not to mention the entire building full of people that he blew up because they asked him to kill a man...what the what?

not really a great movie but

spiderman letting eddie brock die
spiderman letting sandman go

toooooooooooooooo stupid

i would also argue letting octavius die (another example of him loving mj more than anyone else) but alot of people would come after me for some reason. I suppose having a cosy moment with mj on some webbing is far more important than trying to save the man who just saved the entire city. meh

yeh i think its the same "nooooo". but yeh, makes no sense at all.

I like Superman II a lot, but the comedic moments weren't very good and didn't fit very well the rest of the movie. Also, it was hard to believe Clark could walk such a long way through the Arctic without powers. Or food.

The monkey brain eating scene from Temple of Doom. It's the only part of that movie I thought had overly immature humor.

Dent not shooting Joker in the face when he had the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"