Dumb moments in good movies

top gun going up for a spike during a volleyball match in top gun

did stuff get taken out of this thread, or am i thinking of the unpopular film opinions thread.??

Dent dismantles the gun in court in TDK. Never liked that scene.

It kinda felt fake to me. But I still love the film.

I liked that scene for a few reasons. 1, it looks almost like it was pulled from panels o his origins in the comics. 2, if u read those comics it faked u out, and finally it showed Harvey had some bad ass in him. :)

I liked that scene for a few reasons. 1, it looks almost like it was pulled from panels o his origins in the comics. 2, if u read those comics it faked u out, and finally it showed Harvey had some bad ass in him. :)
Good point.

parker leaving aunt may after the bank scene fight in spiderman 2, he was quite the *****e in that film.

at least he should have gone round the corner and gotten back to her, he didn't give two hoots.

he wouldn't leave mj though...

I didn't like it because it was too big a coincidence that the gun jammed or whatever the hell happened there.
and if they went to crazy lengths to get one in there(like have one passed along by a court official), surely they would be doing it like the Godfather, and testing the gun thoroughly beforehand to make sure it didn't mess up.

parker leaving aunt may after the bank scene fight in spiderman 2, he was quite the *****e in that film.

at least he should have gone round the corner and gotten back to her, he didn't give two hoots.

he wouldn't leave mj though...

How do you know he didn't go back to pick her up?

All they did show was him taking some web-swings away from the scene after that, not immediately going off and doing something else. He swings round the block and gets back to her, no need to show that in the film right? Artistic Licence and all that, keep the plot moving.

because clearly he hadn't seen her for a bit when he lost his powers and goes to visit her moving house.

plot moving, there's so much space wasted in that movie, cake eating moment, droopy montage, always late man, getting continually hit in the head with bags on the way to lectures etc and you think raimi gives a hoot about keeping plot moving?

sorry but taking care of your aunt who's just been kidnapped dropped off a building twice and single handedly defeated doc ock is far more important.

because clearly he hadn't seen her for a bit when he lost his powers and goes to visit her moving house.

No, that takes place after his conversation with her about Uncle Ben.
There's nothing in the movie that says he didn't go back to get her.

aren't those the same scene.

even then, there's nothing to indicate he did go back, you have to assume more to back up he did.

like i could assume ock didn't die and he swam up after the camera left him drowning.

the fact that the scene is morally ambigious is what makes it dumb.

aren't those the same scene.

even then, there's nothing to indicate he did go back, you have to assume more to back up he did.

like i could assume ock didn't die and he swam up after the camera left him drowning.

the fact that the scene is morally ambigious is what makes it dumb.

Eh, i think you are reading into it a bit too much.

I think they quite rightly think that the audience knows that Pete cares for Aunt May, and don't need to mess up the flow of the film to show him going back to get the bus home with her.

Yeah, they could have shown that scene, but it think it flows better to have the scene end on the spider-swinging, and cutting to the next seperate sequence. As i was saying, artistic licence.

I do think you made a good point earlier about Spidey not diving in to try and save Ock though, after he left MJ at the crane, they could have shown him taking a dive in to see if he could save him.

All the crowd diving in LotR The Towers. Makes it really hard to feel like the Aragorn et al are in any peril.

In Red Cliff the clumsy way Xiao Qiao was [blackout]saved[/blackout] disillusioned me a bit.

The Stigmata scene in The Butterfly Effect, yes I do think that's a good movie.

Not sure if this is dumb or not, but I didn't get why the villain in inglorious bastards went to the trouble of killing someone for being a traitor when his plan was to switch sides.

Mr. Big's death in Live and Let Die. One of the stupidest villain demises in movie history.

The Solex Agitator subplot in The Man With The Golden Gun because it does not make sense that the world's greatest assassin would be selling technology for more money. Also, apparantly Bond wax statue was holding a real loaded gun instead of a fake one.

Obi-Wan vanishing into thin air in Star Wars instead of the old man getting sliced in half by the lightsaber.

Ivan Drago having the power of his punch being equivalent to the PSI of a shotgun blast. Well, that and him killing off Apollo Creed afterwards.

In Batman, The Joker possessing superhuman strength as he's able to hold himself and a 500 lbs. statue instead of getting his leg ripped off.

The Old Man becoming a villain in RoboCop 2 thus ruining tarnishing the ending of RoboCop 1

Alex Trevelyan surviving the fall in Goldeneye. I know its a movie, but COME ON!

The stupid looking alien hybrid in Alien: Resurrection

The Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact

Tyler Durden not being a real person in Fight Club

Dr. Lecter cutting off his hand in Hannibal. The alternate ending was superior.

Peter Parker idiotically admitting to Harry Osbourne that he is Spider-Man in Part 2 instead of coming up with a clever lie.

Finding out Gustav Graves was Col. Moon in Die Another Day. The movie could've been decent, but that horrible twist ruined any crediblity it had left.

The playground fight in Daredevil.

Fighting giant mutated dogs in Hulk 2003

Saruman's death in Return of The King

The popsicle torture scene in Jane's Punisher.

Dominic trying to drift race with the car he was driving in Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Juggernaut being made to look like a tool instead of fighting Colossus in X-Men: The Last Stand. :doh:

Hugh Jackman as a tree hugging monk floating in outer space in The Fountain

John McClane holding onto the fighter jet in Live Or Die Hard.

The rape scene in the remake of Halloween. Michael Myers' escape in the theatrical version was a million better: [YT]WK1zwicyMYw[/YT]

Jet Li shooting his buddy in War

Stevenson's Punisher punching THROUGH a guy's head in Punisher: War Zone. WTF?

The aliens reveal in The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull. That ruined the movie for me.

The ending to No Country For Old Men, talk about anti-climatic.

Batman allows Ras Al Ghul to die in Batman Begins, but saves The Joker (the guy who KILLED the woman he loved mind you) in The Dark Knight.

The entire airplane through parachute scenes in Quantum Of Solace.

Dominic's car being strong enough to drive around with a safe that's bigger and heavier in Fast Five!

Megatron getting the jobber treatment in his rematch with Optimus Prime at the end of Transformers 3. If its one thing Michael Bay is good at besides having an explosion every 15 minutes, its ruining good buildup!

For Your Eyes Only (one of only 2 Roger Moore Bonds I don't kind of hate), Ernest Starvo Blofeld the biggest villain in all of Bond history gets dropped down a chimney before the opening credits screaming like a little girl, some of his exclamations being completely nonsensical ( "I'll buy you a delicatessen! In stainless steel!" :huh:) and then there's that bomb whistle as Blofeld goes down the chimney

This was done on purpose by Cubby Brocolli as a middle finger to Kevin McClory for the legal trouble he brought regarding the ownership over the Blofeld character and SPECTRE although I got a kick out of Blofeld murdering Bond's wife and trying to make it up to him by offering a place to eat a sandwich.

Last edited:
The one thing I didn't like about kill Bill vol 1 was the endless streams of blood that seemed to flow from most people near the end, either after being sliced up or stabbed. But none bothered me more than the girl who got her arm sliced off and was screaming for about 2 minutes, all while blood was flying out of her. It's obvious she felt the pain, but once she got over that she didn't seem like all that blood loss effected her at all. She probably should have died but in the end when she's passing on her message she doesn't even seem dizzy. Just scared.

I agree with most of those above complaints with the James bond films. I've been trying to do a marathon since a month and a half ago when I got the ultimate edition box sets, and was on a pace of one or two movies a night. Until Roger Moore! it's taken real effort to motivate myself to continue. luckily, I've only got one more left, than I can get back to enjoying bond films.

Not sure if this is dumb or not, but I didn't get why the villain in inglorious bastards went to the trouble of killing someone for being a traitor when his plan was to switch sides.

If he kept her alive it would be two governments he'd need negotiating with. By killing her, England need not hear or approve of the U.S.A. taking him in.
At least that's how I rationalized it.

The one thing I didn't like about kill Bill vol 1 was the endless streams of blood that seemed to flow from most people near the end, either after being sliced up or stabbed. But none bothered me more than the girl who got her arm sliced off and was screaming for about 2 minutes, all while blood was flying out of her. It's obvious she felt the pain, but once she got over that she didn't seem like all that blood loss effected her at all. She probably should have died but in the end when she's passing on her message she doesn't even seem dizzy. Just scared.
It's supposed to be over the top, because that's the kind of movie Tarantino was giving tribute to at that point. The House of Blue Leaves is the only section in the story where the violence is almost comical. People are flying up walls, there's bowling pin sound effects, it's all for fun and a great way to cap off the movie.

It's supposed to be over the top, because that's the kind of movie Tarantino was giving tribute to at that point. The House of Blue Leaves is the only section in the story where the violence is almost comical. People are flying up walls, there's bowling pin sound effects, it's all for fun and a great way to cap off the movie.

I know he was going for over the top, but that was almost over over the top. lol. Like until that you could take the movie completely serious if you tried. but it's still just a minor complaint to me. Nothing that would get in the way of me enjoying the movie as a whole.

In Startrek (2009), when Kirk and Co land on the drill, they fight a bunch of in hand to hand combat (Solu with sword) and win. Yet later in the movie when they beam aboard Nero's ship it had Romulans toying with Kirk, picking him up like he was made of feathers. slapping him around like a child and jumping 10 foot wide gaps like it's nothing.

Tyler Durden not being a real person in Fight Club
Did you even see this movie...?
Tyler Durden was a real person. He was the narrator.
Calling that dumb is like saying it was dumb that Bruce's parent's got shot in Batman Begins.

Peter Parker idiotically admitting to Harry Osbourne that he is Spider-Man in Part 2 instead of coming up with a clever lie.

"Oh hi Harry, yeah, I just got into this massive battle with Doc Ock, he tied me up and brought me to you, BUT I SWEAR I'M NOT ACTUALLY SPIDER-MAN!"

The playground fight in Daredevil.

True that.

The popsicle torture scene in Jane's Punisher.

This was literally lifted right off the page of the first issue of Punisher War Zone. And it was hilarious and a great way to lighten up the mood after all the death and violence before it, while still keeping the audience in suspense that things are going to get very brutal. What exactly is your problem with it?

The ending to No Country For Old Men, talk about anti-climatic.
Or harrowingly real and dark if you actually spend some time thinking about it and don't just take it as a "AW I DIDNT GET TO SEE SOME BULLETS FLYING" moment.

Batman allows Ras Al Ghul to die in Batman Begins, but saves The Joker (the guy who KILLED the woman he loved mind you) in The Dark Knight.

Well in The Dark Knight he literally throws The Joker off of him, so he would be very much directly responsible for his death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"