Dumb moments in good movies

Batman: In the film's climax, Batman performs a strafing attack on Joker's parade in the Batwing. He locks onto the Joker, who is standing still with arms outstretched and trying to get hit, pulls the trigger...and misses with each and every shot. WTF? Bruce, I think you need to fix your targeting systems before the weapons on your Batwing cause hundreds of civilian casualties and other collateral damage. Joker, of course, pulls out a massive revolver and takes out the Batwing with a single shot.

well to be fair, bats has a no guns rule, he clearly knows nothing about aim :p

unless shooting at penguins that is..

Most of these scenes aren't dumb, but just have a lack of sense. :dry:

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2: Harry Osborn sends Doctor Octopus to get Peter Parker to summon Spider-Man. Harry tells Doc Ock, "Don't hurt Peter!" What does Doc Ock do? THROWS A CAR AT HIM AS HE IS TALKING TO MARY JANE WATSON! Why? Did he not care about Harry Osborn's conditions? If not, then why not just take it from him by force and skip having to fight Spider-Man? Also, did Harry ever hear about this, because this is never brought up again.

Spider-Man 2: Harry Osborn sends Doctor Octopus to get Peter Parker to summon Spider-Man. Harry tells Doc Ock, "Don't hurt Peter!" What does Doc Ock do? THROWS A CAR AT HIM AS HE IS TALKING TO MARY JANE WATSON! Why? Did he not care about Harry Osborn's conditions? If not, then why not just take it from him by force and skip having to fight Spider-Man? Also, did Harry ever hear about this, because this is never brought up again.

The scene is fine, it is often mis-interpreted like this.

Ock is some distance away from the cafe when he throws the car, you can tell this by the time it takes for him to get there after the car has been thrown, he obviously did not see Pete was in there when he did that. Pete is sitting away from the window with his back to it, Ock only seeing him and mj when they stand up and look out of the broken window.

He is just on a general rampage, trying to draw out Spider-man, and at the same time, on the way to where Pete lives, Pete and MJ probably choosing a cafe in that vicinity.

the real mistake in SM2 is the fact that Harry tells Pete where Ock's secret hideout is, whereas Ock has not told Harry.

The scene is fine, it is often mis-interpreted like this.

Ock is some distance away from the cafe when he throws the car, you can tell this by the time it takes for him to get there after the car has been thrown, he obviously did not see Pete was in there when he did that. Pete is sitting away from the window with his back to it, Ock only seeing him and mj when they stand up and look out of the broken window.

He is just on a general rampage, trying to draw out Spider-man, and at the same time, on the way to where Pete lives, Pete and MJ probably choosing a cafe in that vicinity.

the real mistake in SM2 is the fact that Harry tells Pete where Ock's secret hideout is, whereas Ock has not told Harry.

That still makes no sense. Wouldn't he be making a lot of noise if he were rampaging around? Why would he enter the cafe if he was just throwing it to wreak havoc? How would he know that he hasn't accidentally killed Peter in this rampage?

That still makes no sense. Wouldn't he be making a lot of noise if he were rampaging around? Why would he enter the cafe if he was just throwing it to wreak havoc? How would he know that he hasn't accidentally killed Peter in this rampage?

Well, he is some distance from the cafe in regards to where he actually threw the car from, as I was saying, and maybe that was one of the first moves of his rampage, he could have just came down to the street from a building. So, Pete doesn't hear anything cause there is not much to hear, and if there is, it's at too much of a distance to be heard.

and i answered those other parts already, he enters the cafe because after the car was thrown thru the window, Pete and Mj stand up and look out of the broken window, and are easily seen by Ock, as opposed to when he threw the car from a distance and Pete had his back to the window at a distance.
Hence, he didn't know he was putting Pete's life in danger.

Last edited:
Fight Club

When Tyler and the main character are fighting each other. But Tyler isn't real. He's just a psyche of the main character. That's all fine. Until they show Tyler dragging the main character's kicked-ass all around the parking lot. There's a security camera recording all of this and from the security camera POV, it looks like the main character is being dragged by...nothing, no one...
I think it's brilliant that it's a physical fight between two sides of a man's mind and the movie needed to end on a fight anyway.

Godfather: A guy gets shot in his eye, his eye glass lens gets scratched hard, but doesn't break and the bullet passes through

Godfather: A guy gets shot in his eye, his eye glass lens gets scratched hard, but doesn't break and the bullet passes through

Are you talking about Godfather II, when Moe Green gets hit? So, there is no bullet hole in the glasses, just a crack? Well, that isn't really a dumb moment is it? It's more of a not quite perfect special effect.

has the playground fight in daredevil been mentioned? i'm fairly sure the director's cut can squeeze daredevil into the good movie realm.

Are you talking about Godfather II, when Moe Green gets hit? So, there is no bullet hole in the glasses, just a crack? Well, that isn't really a dumb moment is it? It's more of a not quite perfect special effect.
It happened in the second movie too? I saw it in the first
Don't remember the guy's name
They couldv'e replaced the lens with a more damaged one

It happened in the second movie too? I saw it in the first
Don't remember the guy's name
They couldv'e replaced the lens with a more damaged one

No, sorry, you're right, it was in GF1, I had a brain fart cause I grew up watching tapes of the tv mini-series version, where the two movies were edited together as one piece with extra footage. I thought for a sec the Vegas stuff was part of ptII, but it's part of the finale of I.
Well, I have not watched the scene in many years(im watching the flick right now, but it hasn't go to that bit yet), and it's all the one shot iirc, he is getting a massage, and is shot through the glasses, so not really the kind of scene where you could have the gunshot then replace them ...But I could be wrong, I'll get back to you on that one, lol, I need to see the scene again.
I had to take a real long break from watching the GF, I watched it too much when I was wee, I'm watching it now and still remembering pretty much most lines and scenes.

edit: ok, i just re-watched the scene, aye, as i said, it's all the one shot, they could not have went in and replaced the lense, and anyway, there's nowt wrong with the special effect at all, it does look like a bullet has shot through the glasses.

Last edited:
Batman: In the film's climax, Batman performs a strafing attack on Joker's parade in the Batwing. He locks onto the Joker, who is standing still with arms outstretched and trying to get hit, pulls the trigger...and misses with each and every shot. WTF? Bruce, I think you need to fix your targeting systems before the weapons on your Batwing cause hundreds of civilian casualties and other collateral damage. Joker, of course, pulls out a massive revolver and takes out the Batwing with a single shot.

That was dumb. The whole Batman 1989 climax made no sense.

Agreed. Let's not forget the part where Joker, who 5 minutes ago was inviting Batman to shoot him in the Batwing, is now afraid of Batman kicking his ass.

Well, he is some distance from the cafe in regards to where he actually threw the car from, as I was saying, and maybe that was one of the first moves of his rampage, he could have just came down to the street from a building. So, Pete doesn't hear anything cause there is not much to hear, and if there is, it's at too much of a distance to be heard.

and i answered those other parts already, he enters the cafe because after the car was thrown thru the window, Pete and Mj stand up and look out of the broken window, and are easily seen by Ock, as opposed to when he threw the car from a distance and Pete had his back to the window at a distance.
Hence, he didn't know he was putting Pete's life in danger.

So, Octopus made it to the street and just threw a car to some random place and found out that Peter was just there? Mhhhh.

Anyways, after he told Peter to tell Spiderman to meet him... he threw Peter against a brick wall so hard he destroyed part of it. I mean, if he weren't Spiderman he would have died. For all Ock knew, Peter is human, even so he did put Peter's life in danger.

has the playground fight in daredevil been mentioned? i'm fairly sure the director's cut can squeeze daredevil into the good movie realm.

Horridly coreographed, this terrible scene happened for no reason at all . Its terrible execution made it one of the dumbest moments in a movie that wasn't that bad to start with.

How so? Joker weas proving how corruptible Gotham people were and Batman came to stop him. Does it ring a bell?

Agreed. Let's not forget the part where Joker, who 5 minutes ago was inviting Batman to shoot him in the Batwing, is now afraid of Batman kicking his ass.

Joker actually tried to fight him punching him. And well, in this version Joker can't beat Batman in a fist fight. ;) And then he made a joke.

TDK. When Batman rode his batpod up the wall and spent it around.

In Batman 89, after the Jokers plan has been messed up (because he didn't predict Batman having a cool dude plane) he shoots down Batmans plane, which just happens to crash directly in front of a cathedral snatching Vale who is acting like a stupid ****e. He calls (seemingly on the fly) a helicopter to pick him up in 5, better make it 10 minutes. After he and Batman move up a dangerous cathedral that is falling apart, somehow, 4-5 goons are already up there, hiding waiting for him. I guess they needed to give Batman something to do.

So, Octopus made it to the street and just threw a car to some random place and found out that Peter was just there? Mhhhh.

Well, if he meant to throw the car at Pete there it means Ock has x-ray and telescopic vision, because when you watch the scene, it's readily apparent that when Pete and MJ are looking out the broken window, Ock is not in sight yet, his presence being announced by noise only, so he was at an out of sight distance when he threw the car...

and...I think you are forgetting that these superhero tales always hinge on big coincidences to some degree, all the comics, all the movies...so yeah, he just so happened to throw a car through the cafe Pete was in.

But, as i was saying, you could ascertain he found out the area where Pete lives, and Pete happened to arrange to meet Mj in that area, so narrowing down the coincidence somewhat...

Anyways, after he told Peter to tell Spiderman to meet him... he threw Peter against a brick wall so hard he destroyed part of it. I mean, if he weren't Spiderman he would have died. For all Ock knew, Peter is human, even so he did put Peter's life in danger.

I actually expected Godzilla2014 to bring this up... Ock is still a power mad out of control nut who is half controlled by his AI arms right? So, it's not surprising he, or the arms, are careless with Pete when he throws him away, it's a helluva lot less dangerous than throwing a car at him though, which he didn't, lol.

Last edited:
The Matrix reloaded, when Neo is fighting all the smith's and tosses one, and the sound of bowling pins being knocked down is made. :(

smith bowling? hmm, it could be doable if megatron turned into a giant ball.

Another one from Spider-Man 2: Following Doc Ock tossing a car at Peter as I mentioned earlier, he proceeds to pick Peter up and throw him at a wall with such force that a normal man's spine, as well as just about every other bone in his body, would snap like a psycho woman on her period whose boyfriend just broke up with her.

return of the jedi, building ANOTHER death star, with ANOTHER one shot kill policy...

i mean, c'mon, seriously...

ill

Horridly coreographed, this terrible scene happened for no reason at all . Its terrible execution made it one of the dumbest moments in a movie that wasn't that bad to start with.

the love scene in the cinematic version still grates, why we need a love scene in a superhero film, only god knows...especially one so contrived...:cmad:

TDK. When Batman rode his batpod up the wall and spent it around.

I recall in one of the jam packed cinema screenings I was at, a general sense of 'whoa!' rippled through the audience, y'know, you hear a few gasps and wows here and there. I have no idea how you could find that moment dumb, a perfect finishing touch to the best action scene in probably the best superhero movie ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"